Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It also makes sense for anyone plotting a challenge to wait for either an election defeat or another scandal before plunging the political knife into Johnson. Whichever of them is PM isn't going to be popular so it makes sense to let Johnson get on with doing the unpopular things.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Backbenchers with no designs on the leadership might force someones hand though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes, the clever thing would be to let Johnsons soak up as much crap now as possible. There'll be plenty of that over the winter period with Covid ramping up and then new Brexit rules kicking in in January. Sometime in March perhaps. I presume they don't actually want to sacrifice those local elections in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If he is around for any local elections or by-elections Ide say he will be buried in a bunker till they are over.

His endorsement is a kiss of death now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Exactly. It was the very same thing with Theresa May, everyone knew her days were numbered but she was left in her role until the 1922 committee wanted her out. Like you, I think they'll keep Johnson around for the dark days of January and February and then announce that either A, his standard just wasn't good enough or B for health or family reasons, he is stepping down.

No one would believe the latter, but given his fondness for being a columnist, they might be wary of him feeling vengeful once he is no longer leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Amazing. The tidal wave of sleaze now has washed over a guy they appointed to investigate some of it. Tories can't get out their own way, hard to do when you're hip deep.

Top civil servant steps down from No 10 parties inquiry after reports he attended lockdown-breaching drinks event

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/simon-case-covid-lockdown-party-inquiry-b1978409.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Sam Coates of Sky (see video below) really went for Boris this morning and wouldn't allow him to keep trying to talk about the vaccine roll out during an interview segment about last nights heavy by election repeat.

He then basically came out with a ridiculous tactic about the reason for the Tory parties recent woes being because of the fact that the media were talking about politics, parties and politicians and the wrong things and that the Government were not able to get the media to talk about the things that they should have been.

I mean what kind of charlatan do you have to be to come out with rubbish like that. If his party stuck to the rules and were not involved in the scandals of the past weeks, then there would be nothing for the media to report. The idea that the media is to blame for reporting something his party were involved in rather than his actual party doing it says it all.

There's no accountability in the Tory party, if they do anything like the sleaze and parties it's always someone else's fault for reporting it, playing political games etc. Never their fault for doing it in the first place. It says a lot about the reason the Johnson administration is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Well I have to say, I'm quite enjoying the mess with the Tories. Long may it continue

Sorry for the ordinary voters over there, but i suppose they voted for them...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Another headache for Johnson

And before anyone thinks that this a dignified move so as to not be associated with the shenanigans that went on around the second jobs story, or the Christmas party, Frost is leaving for a number of different reasons accoring to Sky.

Sky News understands Lord Frost, 56, is unhappy with the direction the government is taking.

He also believes taxes under Boris Johnson are getting too high.

And Lord Frost is also said to against the emphasis placed on the Net Zero strategy to reduce carbon emissions.

Trying to appease someone who is unhappy with Covid restrictions (in a country with very few meaningful restrictions) and who is unhappy with steps to deal with the pending climate issues doesn't really bode well for the direction the Conservative party is possibly going to move in once Johnson has enough time to draw breath or is replaced with a new PM.

(Not to mention the most definitely not insignificant story as to what this means for Brexit both in how it is going, and will continue to go.

• Advertisement

It just occurred to me that this says something about the state of the British press. How can this have taken a year to start coming out? There were 7 parties ffs. No-one spoke to the press? No-one mentioned it? Surely not.

I'd be shocked if some key press people weren't at some of these parties.

Aside from the press reaction, a guy being appointed to investigate the parties who was at a party himself would make you shake your head at how how they're just trying to do the minimum to try to stop people asking about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Actually the mail did a fairly comprehensive report of the Downing Street party after it took place last year, saw it posted up on twitter last week. Just no one picked up on it at the time for some reason. Rather strange alright.

Think this shows just how many fronts Johnson is fighting on at the moment. Somehow he has to appease these small state, low tax fiscal fundamentalists while convincing all those red wall constituency mps that the taps will stay open for much needed investment and to show levelling up isn't yet another empty slogan. I suspect he'll end up bowing to the old guard small staters while trying to fob the rest off with obfuscation and spin. I doubt even a master politician could pull that off and this is Boris johnson we're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

His resignation makes Boris look moderate.

No insults please.

H. H. Asquith

End of an institution this morning with the last Andrew Marr show. Showed a clip from his very first show and looked almost exactly the same as he does now. Not always my favourite interviewer but Sunday mornings definitely won't be the same without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I know it's no scientific barometer but the level of vitriol being delivered against Johnson by Mail readers is off the scale. It seems the penny has finally dropped, even among Tory voters, as to just how useless and inept a leader he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Wow has he finally lost the comments section at the end of Mail articles? He's truly done for so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Once they've been able to overcome inertia, realised they'd been fooled and admitted Boris isn't the loveable buffoon who would get Brexit done and "level them all up" opinion seems to have really swung. Is there any dead cat that'll do anything for him at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I saw an interview with someone from the print media today who suggested Boris' big problem was "he constantly tries to return to Brexit and whip up a war time them against us narrative - but people were sick of that because Brexit is done" 😲

Is that it ? Do people think Brexit it done and now Boris has no other use really. Is that why he is dragging out the whole NI protocol bit, because otherwise he fears folks see no need for him

Well, they seemed quite happy to elect a remainer mp in a brexit constituency just last week so that would suggest it's losing its lustre as a voting issue. I wouldn't say it's all played out completely, but I think most uk voters have moved on, the nuts and bolts of trade deals and protocols don't particularly interest them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

If they think he's bad, wait till they get a load of the full glory of brexit hard man steve baker or one of those ilk, johnson will almost look like a professional

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There may well be some truth in this. Look at how he lost North Shropshire.....a hardcore Leave and Tory constituency. Seems like 'Brexit' has become useless to him and is doing nothing for his popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Conservative media establishment press has been pretty hard on him for months though.

I remember reading Murdoch loathes him and loves Gove , their will be other conservative big hitters who want him gone in favor of their own puppets.

They got behind Boris as they were terrified of Corbyn, now the "big bad commie" is gone then its time to get rid of Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This. I think Brexit as an electoral issue in the UK is well and truly finished. Everyone is bored with Brexit. Brexit supporters want to believe that Brexit is done, and they don't want it dragged out. Even gratitude to Johnson for having got Brexit done is now exhausted. Losing North Shropshire, a strongly Leave constituency, to a remainer Lib Dem candidate tells you that Brexit-related issues are not going to affect the voting behaviour of Brexit supporters. There are other issues that have more traction with them.

Which means that Truss now faces a dilemma. Brexit still has traction within the Tory parliamentary party; the ERG is still surprisingly influential. If you want to replace Johnson as party leader, and therefore as PM, the obvious course is to get the ERG to withdraw their support from Johnson and throw it behind you. You do that by being all butch on hard Brexit.

But, without exception, once in office the butch Brexiteers have all run up against reality, and reality wins ever time. Nobody who has taken on any Brexit-related role in the UK government has left it with their reputation enhanced, and mostly their careers are now dead in the water. Truss has the opportunity to shaft Johnson by doing to Johnson what Johnson did to May; after a few months in this role, resign because Johnson is not butch enough — will live with ECJ jurisdiction, won't trigger Art 16 and therefore launch a painful unwinnable trade war, etc. But if that strategy works, she comes into office as PM with ERG backing and an ERG expectation that she will trigger Art 16 and therefore launch a painful unwinnable trade war, which pretty much guarantees humiliating defeat at the next election and rapid ejection from the party leadership.

The way to succeed in the Brexit role is to gracefully manage a UK climbdown which defuses the NIP bomb. It will piss off the ERG no end, and they won't back you to ditch Johnson. But it doesn't matter; he's toast anyway. You just wait for Johnson's own character flaws to play out to their inevitable conclusion, and then position yourself as the competent, moderate candidate to succeed him. The leader is chosen by the party membership, and I think the North Shropshire by-election result is a better pointer to the traction Brexit issues will have with the party membership than the bombast of the ERG is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Most of those in the ERG have moved over to the CRG where they have a new set of toys to throw out of the pram. This lot is really what was once called Tea Party, and I would put a punt on them splitting the party over levelling-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The latest photo actually could have the "just a bit of cheese and wine" excuse used on it I guess; if it hadn't been incinerated trying to cover for the Christmas parties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Someone had this photo since May, similar to Hancock's pictures. When a politician has served their usefulness it's funny how a damaging picture is always available to stick the knife in.

If Hancock's position was untenable for breaking covid rules more so than having an affair then Boris should be in the same boat.

Once he's taken down I wonder how much more will come out against him and Carrie. Once Boris is gone I'm sure there will be a clear out of Carrie's friends in No. 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I actually thought - if this as incriminating as it gets......but then surely there has to be a lot more than this harmless crap

Advertisement