Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Hospitality owners are never happy with the rate of infection and dangers associated to omicron they are lucky to be allowed stay open at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I think todays leak just further reminded me that restrictions are permanent, there will never be a return to normalitybin Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are a range of assumptions they make about the disease and they feed them into a model which generates a range of scenarios. So if your assumptions are wrong or faulty the model will be of no use. One example of that is how many will end up in hospital and we know their assumption here is wrong, set at 2%-2.5% when real life data showed that it was about 1%. There is also an estimate of how many cases are undetected and that AFAIK goes from a range of 40%-60%. They haven't taken account of vaccines or booster programmes nor any data on public responses. All told they are not all that useful but they are our only policy tool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You wouldn't dare say that to any publicans face, and this is why the internet is both revealing and dangerous. We get to see a side of humanity that we never seen before, usually from the type of people who aren't outspoken in real world, and are of timid appearance. The same people, behind their phones/laptops, become opposites of what they are in reality, they become brave champions of horrible things, things that they'd never dare utter in the real world.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Well if they are so effective to contain the spread, that we still we need a lockdown, means they are not effective aren't they? Give me a break with the nurses at their wits end for the relentless pandemic, the hospitalization rate has been from nearly non existent to stable for the past 6 months at least, at this stage I am quite sure you are just trolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Does anybody know if the 5pm curfew will apply to Weddings?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

On your Water-Meter point,I may be mistook,but all along Mourne Road in Driminagh,Dublin there is what looks suspiciously like a major Water-Meter installation porgramme in place for the past three weeks......It's not beyond the imagination of the crazies to link the electronic meters to your vaccine status.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

Of sorts yes, it doesn't effect me but I still like to see men and women out enjoying themselves especially when they did all was asked and complied with the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

True, the amount of talk of last straws and taking to the streets in this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

NPHET are not acting independently they are following EU/WHO advice. We’re not on a solo run, Netherlands has a similar approach. China/Asia are even stricter. What is the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

What about shops ..and shopping centers and non vital services ..are they going to be hit with restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

So we have Tony Holohan, who leaving his pre-Covid shenanigans aside, looked at the evidence at the very start of the pandemic and told people it was OK to visit nursing homes.

Philip Nolan, a man who has gathered significant experience over the past 20 years (as a university administrator), who has stated that proper contact tracing is an "academic exercise" and antigen tests are "snake oil". And more recently made allegations about ventilation efficiency which were contradicted by NPHET's own team of ventilation experts (who actually have relevant experience)l.

Cillian de Gascun, who at least does seem to fit the bill of a relevant expert, still stated 18 months ago that we had the infrastructure in place to quickly trace and isolate clusters and should be able to avoid future lockdowns. Which was simply not true, no such infrastructure existed as we found out from Nolan's contract tracing comments in September (which ironically were made while trying again to blame pubs for everything).

These are the experts whose statements you unthinkingly follow?

Also, NPHET certainly do not have to take into account what's politically palatable. Their role is solely to provide medical-based advice to the democratically elected government, whose job it is to determine what measures to actually implement.

Which hasn't stopped NPHET repeatedly showing utter contempt for democracy with leaks designed to try to influence public opinion and force the government to follow a particular course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Other countries are closing down - "Look what other countries are doing. How could we consider doing anything different? We have no choice".

Other countries open up - "We can't just copy other countries. The situation is different there."

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭purplefields

This time last year I remember people posting about a 'casedemic'. There were lots of cases but not much hospitalisations - or something like that. Then January happened.

Now we have a shiny new ultra-contagious new variant.

What happens if we have a repeat of last year? - What if in January, cases explode?

We could be in a situation where critical infrastructure is at risk if everyone catches this all at once. I would not like to be in a situation where we are getting power cuts because the national grid can't be maintained because half the work force are out sick or isolating. Where shops can't open because of lack of staff. You better not get sick with anything, because there won't be much of a health service operating! - they'll be first hit with staff absences.

So I'd rather go with a 5:00pm closing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The WHO recommend using restrictions only in order bulk up public health services, the EMA recommend HEPA filters in classrooms

Seems to me NPHET pick and choose what advice to follow, meaning they act independently

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lol, you’re just living in a fantasy world. I suppose all those nurses were just lying? I saw a 21 year old girl who was missing her birthday due to short staff and forced to work in this pandemic.

they’re not perfect but they bring extra time to find better vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tony Manero

Posturing BS from them. 99% of the whingers and moaners will continue to do just that and no more.

Thank you. It will really sting if so. I hope clarity is delivered soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Tbf I'd have to point the finger at myself for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So now it's lockdown until there are better vaccines? When will that be? Any in the pipeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Incorrect. I’ve a friend who owns a number of pubs across the city and we’ve discussed it at length, he largely agrees. He’s been a publican for 40+ years and acknowledges that this is an absolutely unusual situation, he is grateful for the government throughout the year - you probably don’t know a single publican yourself spouting that absolute nonsense.

The pandemic has caused a lot of frustration, anger and hurt to everyone on this island. We have all suffered, publicans are not an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So the answer is no, there will never be a time where you stop and question the "professionals", no matter how many times they are wrong.

That is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

On the radio(Newstalk breakfast) this morning the word was that the 5pm curfew would not apply to hotels so that weddings would not be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NPHET are reacting to an as yet unseen scenario with a set of bad models and it doesn't matter what other countries are doing, they are responding to local situations and culture. How exactly is China a model for anyone else when they can lock down and test entire cities? Better models please as we are constantly acting off a set of very dodgy largely wrong projections.

Maybe not vaccines although I have heard that Moderna is making Omnicron ones but at least we need to see how bad omicron is

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

If the logic is that we are trying to stop hospitals from being overwhelmed then the actions being taken are the equivalent of waiting until the night before as assignment is due to start working on said assignment.

We had plenty of time to see these waves of infection coming down the line and we also conveniently had loads of people sitting out of work desperate to start earning. Maybe we could have done something like prepare for future waves.

As it stands I would say it's very, very, likely that we will be going into Xmas of 2022 and possibly even 2023 saying "oh but the pressure on the healthcare services".

At some point the time it would have taken to build or install new facilities and train people to do the various jobs would have been there for us and we basically didn't take up the opportunity.

Statistically, we basically know exactly who is likely to need hospitalization here for 90+% of cases and we are STILL somehow failing to protect those demographics or at least failing to educate them on how to protect themselves.

We've gone all in with the vaccinations and now it's not really clear how much they are helping us. Helping enough to bring deaths and hospitalizations down but not helping enough to avoid restrictions and lockdowns etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Because of their very low vaccination rate of course. Follow the science.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Full lockdown? What are you on about? Hospitalisations have dropped 40% in the past three weeks, or are you one of those people that only reads the case numbers. The country is 94% double vaccinated and at about 32% triple vaccinated - when is enough enough?

What good does an arbitrary time do? Pubs can't serve past 5pm, do you think the people that would be out anyways are just going to toddle off home at that point? Not a hope, some might - but many are going to go back to house parties where there are no controls in place, mingling with way more people than they would when they're at a table of 6, seated. Mingling with unvaccinated people will also be more likely to happen because Johnny isn't going to stand at the door and ask you for your Covid cert before going into his house party is he?

Anyways this idea of trusting the experts is getting a little tiresome. Especially with how wrong NPHET have been of late.

NPHET's modelling has been wrong on every single occasion that I can remember in the past 6 months.

They were wrong about not using antigen testing and had to be dragged kicking and screaming into agreeing about it

They were wrong to stop contact tracing in the schools - 6 weeks later they became the primary vector in the country for spreading disease.

They are still wrong about HEPA filtration and refuse to back down on it.

I don't actually have a problem with NPHET advising what they advise, we all know Tony in particular has an anti-alcohol base and anyways, it's not good for your health. They are health advisors after all.

My issue is with the spineless government who simply hide behind these measures and point and shout 'It's all NPHET's fault, I had to do it - they're behind you!"

Part of good governance is balancing the health risks against the impact on the economy. At a time when hospitalisations are DECREASING, they now are going to introduce new restrictions - it's just out and out nonsense.

Advertisement