Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2021/2022 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

The pups are coming on well, ready for a sleigh, the thought of the Kerry dances keep me going in hard times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

forecasts in my opinion only become relevant 3-5 days out. All will change by Monday or Tuesday anyway, hopefully snow for Christmas :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

This is the 5+ days thread so you will not have luck here. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes fair point. I still enjoy the rollercoaster

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭No Bills

Here is the latest take from the UK Met Office showing some of the possible outcomes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Oh dear, oh dear, dear!🤫

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z The Christmas Turkey and Pigs ear takes center stage, unless you like long fetch south-westerlies from Bermuda. GEM is also getting milder per run. If tonight's ECM is a bust then maybe a few days break from model watching will be good.

You're obsessed with Turkey.

It's not as bad as it might first appear. Let's wait for the ECM tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

How far north or south the lp will go in charts that are a week away is surely impossible to tell for now. Of course as the gfs shows it could go tits up but then again maybe not.....

For all we know maybe it will end up going well south of us in the end and keeping us colder and dryer .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking at all the GFS 12z runs it's almost a 50/50 split between a mild Christmas week to New Years period vs a cold to very cold period. One options appears to be removed from the table and that is a dry and high pressure dominated period between Christmas and New years.

Not a bad ECM

Depending on the exact positioning of the fronts on Christmas Day you could be talking significant snowfall for the north midlands and northwest (much of Connaught) and north on Christmas Day.

It's all to play for.

In this particular set up on Christmas Day it looks to me like a front straddles the northern third of the country. Quite significant that. Disruptive snowfall I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Happy Christmas from the ECMWF weather model. This would cause major disruption. Latest Ecmwf weather model showing snowfall from Christmas eve right through to St Stephens day. Will be a interesting weekend of model watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I would urge a note of caution, given this low is not seeming to undercut and is more rounded as a result, it could well end up further north meaning rain for all except mountain tops. If it was undercutting, then it would likely trend further south, meaning more areas see snow or possibly we just stay bone dry with cold north easterlies setting in

This is knife edge stuff- high risk, high reward - at the best possible time, but it could very well go pear shaped due to the blocking not being as strong as previously depicted. However, the UKMO is encouraging if you are looking for cold longer term. Whatever happens, as has been mentioned, it seem a dry Christmas is the least likely option for Christmas now. Its a complex setup, with this in mind thinking any one model has this nailed at 8 days out is not wise. However, we are very much in with a shout for a white Christmas in parts of the country. It's not often that we are!

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm more inclined to agree with Nacho, there isn't a massive amount of moisture at play in any of the scenarios. If we get a reasonable NE flow with a long fetch the sea could pep up a bit, but it looks a wee bit slack for now. Perhaps some sparkling frosts and a raw wind is the best we may expect for a bit of festive atmosphere this year.

Either way it sets up a nice trend for our traditional peak period for winter cold, those first three weeks or so of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

It will be really later Sunday into Monday before we have really any idea on the Situation going into Christmas eve and day. Will then be fine margin if that low is still in play on how far north it makes it and how far west and south the cold makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A wee trip back to 1982. Madness were in the charts, large Tv aerials to pick up top of the pops, a dodgy Ford and epic Snowfall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Haven't looked at the charts yet... should I?

As a wise old sage once said, look at the trends.

We've got cold and moisture, two very important ingredients. And we've a week to go...

Glass half full sir.

But I haven't looked at the charts yet... should I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think Elton n Ed might be Number 1.

As for GFS it's still pouring cold. What it will bring could range from all out snow to cold rain.

Google forecast gives me 5 n sleet for Sligo Xmas day. Been looking since earlier this week at it. It's gone the following way (The first value is what it had for Xmas Day Monday, last value is my 7th look today. In between are the Xmas Day temperature predictions it gave Tues Wed and Thurs)

8 8 7 6 5 4 5

Good progress for snow fans on this morning's ICON

Low pressure not making the same sort of inroads north as previous runs and that's exactly what we want in terms of trend. The further south the better. It probably won't work out here but it's the trend that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

Not a bad ECM. Has the low a bit further south for the big day. Obviously we need cross model agreement and that is still not happening yet. A long long way to go but a step in the right direction from ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Looking at the 850 temps, what do we need in this scenario for snow? Read elsewhere that - 4 might do.

Uppers generally -8 to -10 and negative dewpoints if we want guaranteed snow and to avoid melting rapidly. Anything milder and it's likely to be marginal particularly near coastal counties. Today's runs can only be better than yesterdays. We need that low to sink properly south. If it slides across Ireland then cold rain for most and proper cold air may not get in.

GFS 00z is very mild for Christmas Day and Stephens Day but turns much colder from the 27th and stays very cold to the end of it's run. It may not get there for Christmas but at least there is some decent cold after.

This GFS ensemble member is a complete outlier and going for nearly 50cm of snow for Meath/Dublin. Extremely unlikely to happen.

GEM is similar but is alot milder with a chance of it turning much colder, it also has some nasty looking low pressures around this time period.

ECM alot better than yesterday but we really need these lows to sink further south, we are on a knife edge between very mild weather along the south coast vs much colder air north of that.

As for snow there is no real point looking at that yet. We're still a week away from the potential cold and so many of the colder runs have mild air very close to out south so we need to get the cold and blocking properly in place before looking at any snow potential.

For Christmas Day itself it does appear we have lost the trend to keep things high and dry as it turns progressively more unsettled from about the 23rd of December. The final week of December is likely to feature plenty of precipitation which may be mostly of rain over Christmas but turning more wintry in nature after Stephens Day. Snow is looking more and more likely at some point between the 27th and New Years Eve, but before we start getting excited we need another 3 to 4 days to see where does the cold go and will we get very cold air along with decent levels of precipitation.

The situation doesn't look too dissimilar to 1978 which led to the severe spell at the very end of December and early January 79

GFS 6z rolling out. Similar to the 0z it's going for a mild and wet Christmas Day particularly along the south coast and it begins to turn colder from the north. Rain or showers will begin to turn wintry from Stephens Day.

By Stephens Day temperatures in the 2 to 4C range and sub zero by night. After this temperatures may struggle to get above 0C across parts of Ulster and Leinster but closer to 3C generally. New Years Day could be an ice day with a long fetch northeasterly sourced from svalbard down across Ireland with a baltic north-east wind chill. By this stage anything that falls out of the sky would be of snow and temperatures in some eastern areas may struggle to get above -2C or even -3C.

If this was to verify night time temperatures close to -10C would be possible or even colder if there was lying snow. This would probably be our coldest spell of weather since December 2010.

Polar lows are also a possibility with this set up where showers would merge forming localized snow storms.

If this GFS run was to verify this would be a fairly substantial and bitterly cold setup that could take a week or more to shift. This could well be a cold outlier as this is a very cold run indeed.

On this particular run snow is covering much of the country by this point and parts of Leinster particularly around Wicklow would be buried in snow.

It's important not to get too excited over this particular run as this is so far away and very unlikely to verify as is but great to see the GFS playing around once again with some proper mid winter cold.

Whatever happens it looks like a better chance of a white new year then a white Xmas. Again similar to 78......

Similar to the week of Stephens Day 2001 to New Years Eve 2001. That was a very snowy few days over the Christmas week.

• Advertisement

Yes that too i presume you mean December 2000. Didn't get too much snow that week but it felt very festive, got an inch or 2 from the polar low on the evening of the 27th. Still think this coming set up is more similar to 78 though.

Personally I kind of prefer a proper cold spell to hit just after Xmas day, as I'd kinda prefer a white new year to a white Xmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement