Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

This time last year we didn't have vaccines.. this time last year we weren't testing people coming into the country.. this time last year I could book a meal in the evening and of they were booked out have the craic with my take away pints.. this time last year people had a smidgen of hope cos the vaccines were being developed..

Tell me what's to hope for next year?? All I see down the line is families being shamed into 5 year olds getting the vaccine and we can't open til they have been vaccinated BD...its a very grim future..

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They have been open fully since September and declared COVID dead back then! I believe they had about 4K in daily cases before this kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's high time we get some established numbers concerning the level of cases/hospitalisations we can deal with and start **** building the infrastructure to enable this. This arbitrary line changing will just keep happening time and time again. You know how certain medicines will cause the deaths of a certain amount of users and this is accepted because the pros outweigh the negatives, well this same sort of principle needs to be applied to our Covid management.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

I’ve already said they have done a reasonable job given very difficult circumstances, look at the peak last January they were able to prevent a spike like that occurring for a long time. They also haven’t been out of line with global best practise. So no I don’t think they’re constantly wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

To those peeking through a curtain, yes that is the dregs of a pint. Another one on the way.

I am nervous though because if I could get one after midnight, covid may strike. And even worse, from Monday, Omicron may even attack at 5.01PM, just with 30% less aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just buy some food, around €9 worth. Covid goes away if the food cost €9.

Maybe Tony has forgotten that, somebody should remind him, then pubs wouldn't have to close at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

It's only effective as a temporary measure. The moment the lockdown is lifted cases will immediately rise. The moment the borders are opened the cases will rise.

You'd literally need to shut the entire island down and you'd need to make sure that people weren't sneakily breaking the rules and visiting each others homes etc. Then you'd be stuck not really knowing when is the right time to reopen. It's just not realistic.

Plus with the internet etc you'd have the issue of citizens seeing people in other countries enjoying themselves with their friends and their families while we sit at home.

Also when advocating for a measure that extreme you'd pretty much want absolute proof that it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

So depressing. I don't see any solution to this with Houlihan calling the shots. I've decided not to get booster tomorrow. I think it's quite pointless at this stage. Good luck lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Are cases dropping in Ireland because people don't want to isolate over Christmas so why test?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

I think they publish the number of tests done each day? So unless the number of tests being done is dropping off dramatically I would say no.

• Advertisement

They are not obviously dropping and we have been at about 4K a day for about a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

We've a new variant on the loose, early indications are that it escapes the vaccines, according to Imperial College is just as dangerous as Delta and spreads extremely rapidly. Do we just do nothing and open up? Or do we take a few precautions with the potential to rapidly lockdown later if this is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The scariest thing about the variant for me is the fact that it can tell the time.

So when are these restrictions been announced? Today/Tomorrow/Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,471 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One thing that really grinds my gears is the need for MM to address just release a statement to the media and be done with it.

• Good line of reasoning; the real case scenario would only be known by how many are in hospital primarily because of it. Personally I would want to be feeling fairly unwell to subject myself to a test at the moment with a Christmas coming up. Instinctively I wouldn’t want to “stumble” upon a positive finding casually by antigen testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

That's the ego taking over.

Reeling in the Years highlights, RTE new clips, etc.

As much charisma as a wet sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

The same imperial college that predicted 500,000 dead in the Uk within a month or so is it yeah? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7301657/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

jesus, the independent are even saying it's a joke. Maybe some are actually brave enough to question the madness of their gobshittery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well NPHET have finally done it. They’ve made me agree with Regina Doherty as quoted on rte.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Sadly,the reality in modern Ireland is that your Parents and many of a similar vintage are now being Physchologically abused BY the very State Agencies supposed to be looking after them.

It is very apparent at this stage,that the Chief Medical Officer has decided it is the appropriate time for him to rack-up his long running campaign against Alcohol consumption,the presence of a supposed deadly virus could not have been better placed and is now being used creatively to prepare the ground for the Minimum Alcohol Pricing lark next January.

Whilst the Constitution does indeed have provisions to allow the challenge of rogue politicians,ther appears to be no avenue of challenge open to those of us deeply suspicious of the mechanisms at work within the NPHET/CivilService/Government setup.

What we now have is a Covid industry running the show,with pronounced acquiescence from the Agencies of State.

Why ?

Who is benefiting from this,by now,repetitive imposition of largely meaningless restrictions on individual liberty ?

Jonathan Sumptions recent Lecture contained some pertinent and accurate points,not least about the use of FEAR to ensure Public Compliance.

We crave protection from many risks which are inherent in life itself: financial loss, economic insecurity, crime, sexual violence and abuse, sickness, accidental injury. Even the late pandemic, serious as it was, was well within the broad range of mortal diseases with which human beings have always had to live. It is certainly within the broad range of diseases with which we must expect to live with in future.

There is a very real stench of corruption and illogicality now emanating from the NPHET/Government relationship,but what is far worse is the abandonment of a huge questioning sector of the population who are increasingly asking for REASONS to justify the current impositions...and stuff about (yet more) "Variants" just does'nt cut mustard !

At the very least,ALL NPHET recommendations should be subject to some form of robust,perhaps peer,review and then any Political decisions need to be similarly tested in Parliament.

Wake up !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Being announced today and due do come into effect on Monday because the virus takes the weekend off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,471 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ya, he must have some ego but I feel they all have a bit of an ego.

It's bizarre seeing people waiting to watch these addresses like he's going to reveal something really interesting.

And to give all those businesses time to wind down their activities!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There is literally no downside for NPHET in making overly-cautious recommendations. They will suffer no drops in income and they are all old farts who aren't going to be heading out to nightclubs.

If they recommended relaxing restrictions and deaths go up they risk being labeled granny-killers. If they recommend increasing restrictions and deaths go down, they are heroes and if deaths go up they can say they did everything they could.

Sure why wouldn't they constantly make the most cautious recommendations possible? - They aren't protecting people, they're covering their arses and spending billions of our taxes doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Looks like closing at 8pm, as per FF TD on RTE Radio 1. Still not acceptable.

I mean i saw on rte.ie that it’s the 5pm curfew and capacity of 50%. I mean that’s not viable so while the government can technically say they aren’t closing pubs and the like, they are if you make them close before the Angelus and with half capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

8pm. All very predictable.

• Advertisement

• Just announced, 8pm hospitality curfew

Advertisement