Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 activation using Windows 7 key

• 17-12-2021 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Back in 2010, I purchased a standalone retail copy of Windows 7 for my self-built desktop. I purchased an upgrade to 8.1 in 2014 and then availed of the free upgrade to 10 back in 2015/2016. I sold the desktop last year. Over the course of the 10 years or so, I had a number of hardware upgrades and can recall needing to reactivate Windows on at least two occasions (pretty sure both involved motherboard upgrades). I would have reinstalled Windows at various points, but pretty sure I didn't need to enter an activation code.

Before selling the desktop, I should have deactivated the license, but I didn't. Instead, I unlinked the desktop from my list of devices in my Windows live account, thinking that was the same thing. Silly mistake; just didn't do my research.

Fast forward to this year and I purchased a new laptop without a Windows license, as I had intended on using my previously purchased copy. My 25 character key from the original Windows 7 box didn't work. After looking through my emails, I couldn't find any record of an activation key from my 8.1 or 10 upgrades. Got on to Microsoft support and after dealing with 3 agents, they verified my original 25 character activation code was valid, but that the Windows 10 upgrade would have only been valid for the hardware that the upgrade took place on. I was surprised by this as one of my aforementioned reactivations of Windows was definitely done while using Windows 10.

As far as I'm concerned, I have paid for a retail copy of Windows that has been upgraded to Windows 10, but Microsoft are sort of telling me I can't use it any more. Does anyone know if this agent is actually correct and/or if I have any way of activating Windows 10 on my new laptop without having to purchase it again? I have thought about installing Windows 7/8.1 so see if I can activate it this way, and then upgrade to 10, but it seems like a load of hassle for something that probably won't even work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

You could be out of luck here - as far as MS are concerned the Win 10 instance that you had rights to is still in use - on the original machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Are you signing onto laptop with local account ? Could you try sign in to lap with live account and see if it takes lic.

Scratch that , looks like you out of joy.

PS: Win10 run unactivated if personalization and watermark does not bother you.

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bunshi

Yes indeed but what about the updates can Microsoft provides free windows 10 updates on Unactivated version?

• A bit like selling your house and leaving your good mahogany table with the new owners. 😱

I see prices for Windows 20 can be costly enough. Any chance you could tolerate free Linux? I’ve a few distros on virtual machine, and find Kali Linux extremely usable. But it depends what you are using it for. Otherwise it seems you are into spending a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Looks like I'll just put up with the watermark for a while.

Not interested in Linux. Used Mint years ago and it was grand, but I need Windows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement