Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭billyhead

The vaccines wane after 6 months hence the need for the booster. Everyone's immune system reacts differently when infected. I am a lot fitter then the average bloke in that I train 6 days a week and take part in triathlons and the odd marathon. I'll get the booster to give me the best chance possible to limit symptoms if I get infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Anyone have an opinion on which jab best option... i had astra 2 times and would like to check other options as i found astra tough...

Is your mother or father still alive and do you visit them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Ok, well can you tell someone who had a bad reaction from the 2nd jab that it won’t be worse after the 3rd? No, and neither can any doctor because there is no data. All I know is that I’m damned if I’m going to be that guinea pig and rot on a waiting list for years to see a consultant in our wonderful HSE. I’ve had enough experience of that already thanks.

• Advertisement

Early indications are that the booster gives good protection against the new strain. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59696499

2 or 3 days of mild symptoms which is normally the worse reaction. Are we turning into a nation of snowflakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I appreciate the length of your reply and your argument that it's a numbers game. However, as far as I can see, the case is not proven and that it's speculation that numbers requiring hospitalisation are going to dramatically increase. With the initial two dose vaccines, we were never promised immunity from catching Covid, so it's entirely expected that more people may catch it. The critical matter is surely whether those fully vaccinated have a milder or more severe form of the infection. We have been told many times that on the whole, those vaccinated will not develop serious illness. So that's surely the issue, is it the case that the initial vaccine programme is not effective anymore in warding off serious illness? And if so, what sort of figures are we talking of.

If it is still effective, it surely doesn't really matter how many cases there are as most adults are either fully vaccinated by now or have likely been exposed to and recovered from Covid in case of unvaccinated adults - it's pretty hard to avoid unless you lock yourself up. Unvaccinated children cope with it well on the whole.

So what's the big bogey risk factor? Perhaps that some citizens who are in poor health and/or elderly are more at risk? But that's always been the case. Without wishing to sound unkind, I have a neighbour who works as a home help and I've heard her often opine that 'flu used to be the old person's friend'. That it took them at a stage in their life when they had lived their best days and often saved them the suffering at the end. I observed this myself with an elderly relative, could have succumbed twice at least from serious chest infections but 'saved' by drugs. I say 'saved' with irony as their inevitable latter days were a struggle and succumbing to flu would have been a kinder option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

That was not my experience. Mine lasted 2 months, since you’re so sure of yourself can you give me a prognosis if I take an extra dose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And in my case, caught Covid after 1 Astra Zeneca dose and had 2 or 3 days of mild symptoms - very similar experience. So where does that leave us? Maybe that otherwise healthy reasonably active people of any age with a vaccine dose or two are unlikely to be badly affected. So why keep jabbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Anecdotes are not data. So where does your attitude leave us? Closer to lockdown, than not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Perhaps the OP title should be shown as boosters in the plural? Both news media reports and scholarly articles have been suggesting recently more than one booster may be needed to get through this pandemic. With the world’s unvaccinated millions, there are a host of opportunities for Covid to continue to evolve, as it has. Evolving variations may suggest that vaccines may have to evolve accordingly.

Personally and anecdotally, I will follow the literature, and continue to get boosters as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

my mother is seventy three , she got her booster , she saw my children right throughout the crisis and long before the vaccines , shes not the type to alter her life because of this , she got the shots to keep my sisters happy as they are much more conformist types

Woot! Just got my appointment for the booster shot on Monday

Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think there's exact definitive numbers, google away but the indications is that it seems more like marginal gains in that "numbers game" of severe cases to hospital capacity ... with boosters it's 10% to 30%, with a bigger short-medium boost protection against symptomatic infection. Whereas the vaccinated v unvaccinated is like an 80% - 90% difference, which starts to drop to 60% to 70% over time. When you throw in tens of thousands of cases in a month that translates into a pressure on hospitals. 'Effectiveness' is a matter of degree not a switch. If you are fighting a war, and you know Tank mark II is better than Tank mark I, do you need to wait for percentages on how many enemy tanks it will take out - or throw it into the battle because you know it has more firepower?

The 'bogey risk factor' isn't those too frail for ICU, whose race is nearly run.

The 'life years' at stake at the group ending up in ICU the most, those from late 50s with underlying conditions to those in their 70s. The people who pull through with hospital and ICU treatment. I think it always has been more about ensuring the capacity is there to treat them.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Does anyone know if trials were done on mixed vaccines? For example AZ primary course and mRNA booster ?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The risk isn't just lower it's significantly lower for those under 40. That poor tragic bugger keeps getting rolled out as the example of "fitness fanatic" who died from this pox. He's an extreme outlier. It would be akin to pointing to some poor bloke who ended up dying of breast cancer and saying oh wow look out men you could be in trouble and the risk of that in the US anyway is out of one hundred cases of breast cancer one will be male. So high enough.

As for genetic quirks we're still looking for them. Early on it was those with some neandertal admixure of all things that had more risk, then they had less risk and the genes were protective, now we're flipping coins.

Then we get to the spread of this pox. Yes being vaccinated reduces spread, but clearly not by that much, or nearly as much as was hoped for given we're one of the most vaccinated peoples in Europe, nay on Earth and it's still spreading like billiyo.

Then we have asymptomatic illness. It's looking like up to 40% of infected show no symptoms:

Researchers looked at 95 studies from January 2020 to February 2021 consisting of nearly 30 million people in Asia, Europe, North America, South America and Africa.

More than 60% of confirmed COVID-19 cases among people under 20 were asymptomatic; nearly 50% in people 20 to 39; about 32% in people 40 to 59, and about 33% in those over 60.

“Across the board, it showed that among the elderly, two-thirds had symptoms, and among the 20- to 30-year-olds, about two-thirds didn’t have symptoms,” said Dr. Alan Wells, medical director of UPMC Clinical Laboratories and professor of pathology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, who is not affiliated with the study. “That’s what we see in a lot of respiratory viruses.”

Before vaccinations were rolled out it was at least a third and a fair number of the above would have been unvaccinated and/or boosted. I would be asking the Dr Well fellas to expand further on the "that's what we see with a lot of respiratory viruses" part. Asymptomatic flu is well under 10% and I can't see how the common cold which includes coronaviruses gets within an asses roar of a third asymptomatic. Indeed have a oul search for asymptomatic carriers and you'll have to weed through the covid articles. Anyway it certainly seems like a large proportion of the population already have some latent immunity to this virus and it seems to be lasting too. That's before we look at the already vaccinated. Yep their neutralising antibodies wane, but immune memory is retained and for longer periods. J&J which is apparently the poor man of the lot and you're in dire danger after three months showed B and T cells increased beyond three months and were retained at least to eight months.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In which case if your scenario holds we will never be shot of boosters and regular ones with it. We have pretty much zero hope of making this virus extinct. The existing vaccines are far too leaky in transmission, have too many breakthrough infections, waning neutralising antibodies, too many unvaccinated in the world and non human reservoirs of the pox on top of that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I didn't need protection then and I don't now. I'm a fit person under the age of 35 with no underlying conditions. The statistics back up the fact that my risk of hospitalisation or death is beyond minute for me.

mRNA is a new technology and there is virtually no research done on taking multiple mRNA jabs in a such a short space of time. I originally took a Janssen vaccine and there is even less research out there on mixing the Janssen with an mRNA. And they are already preparing a new 'booster' for omnicron. So I take this booster for a variant which is no longer dominant, and then come March I'll be onto the next booster for omnicron which may have been overtaken by a new variant. It's a complete and utter crock of shite. I'm not denying the vaccines (and boosters) impact on the elderly and vulnerable but that is who it should be given to. The people actually at risk. The people for whom the risk of negative Covid outcomes is just too high. Not children, not healthy young adults.

As for other people, let them get the booster if they want it. Vaccination doesn't stop transmission - in fact it has a far lower impact on transmission than the 'experts' originally harped on about. I'm sick of being told to get vaccinated for other people. Like it or lump it I don't care about other people. I don't put things into my body for the benefit of random fcuking strangers.

I was willing to disregard my concerns for the possibility of a return to a normal life. The government all but promised that, so I got vaccinated. Now we know the vaccine means sweet fcuk all in terms of restrictions, or isolating, or travel. If they want people like me to take a booster then they open up and stay open. Otherwise, I won't be having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭ForestFire

That's great

I take it its your first booster? Did they give you a date for your second booster yet?? 😋(Joke)

Ha

Was actually chatting with the wife about that, I reckon we're looking at something like the annual flu shot and to be honest, I'm quite happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Simple question, how much is transmission reduced by taking the vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So the people in ICU that aren’t vaccinated, do we know the age profile of these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

The cheek of you, what does my username have to do with this? BTW more people have died with covid under the Biden administration, so answer that one Perry|? Take a million boosters, wear a million masks, but don't dare tell me what to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

No. I have been offered 3 in the last 3 weeks and have replied New each time. I don't see the point in taking a vaccine that doesn't work against this strain. I have 4 friends in the UK who received boosters in the last 4/6 weeks and all have covid right now. Anecdotal but hey ho.

Vaccines don't help reopen society, if you believe this you need to have a word with yourself. Proof of the pudding and all that. As for taking a booster to protect others, sorry the vaccines were always about protecting yourself.

I seen Leo has now said certs will be updated soon and those without boosters won't be considered fully vaxxed. So there's my pass gone and I couldn't GAF.

I got my vaccine to protect myself from serious illness / hospitalisation. I am high risk to covid. NABS may wane after a few months but t and b cell reactions are perfectly fine. Everybody is fixated on antibodies but there is more to the immune system than antibodies!

There is no societal benefit to a booster, you don't get your 'freedoms' back. You still catch and spread covid, you still wear a mask etc

My personal protection is fine and I would rather catch covid than have a booster. And before anyone says death is more likely with covid, I have 2 Pfizer vax, which prevent death to a very high degree or does that not suit the narrative anymore. I refuse to live in fear and if anyone thinks I'm a risk to them, then they shouldn't come near me. They should be responsible for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭Xander10

Have an appointment but it isn't filling me full of delight.

The delight at getting the first vac, and seeing where we are still stuck leaves me feeling apathy.

Advertisement