Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a coffee container for 1kg of beans

Options
  • 17-12-2021 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

looking at getting a coffee bean container if anyone has any recommendations i'd appreciate it...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Two clothes pegs!

I always buy my beans by the Kg bag. One bag lasts me 3 to 4 weeks.

I fill the grinder from the bag, fold x2 the bag, and clip it closed.

There's no need at all for a separate container.

Stored coffee is most at home in the bag it was delivered in. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

You don’t need container for 1kg. Beans loosing freshness extremely quick if bag already open.

Oxidation would be the worst enemy of the beans. Knowing this fact you could try to slow down the process by decreasing the temperature/get rid of oxygen .

If you got 1 kg container , every time you open it, you’ll introduce more oxygen to the beans.

You could get smaller container ( 250g ) and freeze rest of the beans ( use same bag , just squeeze as much air as possible and keep it in the freezer)

as for the container

here is the good one:

https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/airscape-container-250g-white-17814-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have a container like that (a little larger). Never really used it, as I reckon the bags are better. When you close it, it just displaces some of the air that is inside (equal volume to the contents of the container), but still leaves plenty air. At least with a bag, you can squeeze out much of the remaining air. I got this hand blender with a vacuum sealer for Christmas last year, and it does a fantastic job. After roasting a batch, I throw 150-200g into a spare coffee bag, put it into a vacuum seal bag, 10 seconds of vacuum and it's solid as a rock. Into the freezer and it comes out as good as the day it went in. No moisture or freezer burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

If you have to open container 4 times a day ( that the reason I was recommending SMALL container)it is definitely more convenient than a bag. I am very doubtful that you could squeeeze out more air with the bag too( unless you have vacuum sealer )

As for the vacuum sealers, they are great , using my constantly too.

They used too be on sale in LIDL for €20 or so , plenty on Amazon too.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cpwestcafe

A vacuum-sealed airtight container with a one-way valve would be perfect to keep your coffee fresh and aromatic. This type of container helps prevent moisture, light, and air exposure that can affect the quality of your beans. Some great options to consider are the OXO BREW 1 lb. Airtight Coffee Storage Container, the Lavazza A Modo Mio Coffee Container, and the Airscape Coffee and Food Storage Canister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

*Sorry, wrong thread

Post edited by Glebee on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The best way to keep milk fresh? Leave it in the cow.

Leave the beans in the bag which already has a 1-way valve and either reseal or use a bull clip / closepeg to reseal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yep ,to reiterate, even pouring the beans out of the bag is reducing ‘freshness ‘ as is having Them in a clear container eg the ‘hopper’ on some machines .Good beans are dear enough and getting dearer , no point in mistreating them.

Advertisement