Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

The current Government reckon the virus is only active after 8pm, that tells us all we need to know about them.

The real pandemic is now the lack of any other health care bar the Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think you need to adjust your sarcasm sensor there Jimbob, I suspect Ha Long Bay was making the same point as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

More of the usual nonsense. If pubs close 3 hours earlier then that is 3 hours less to spread Covid.

The lack of other health care is caused by the the volume of Covid patients, that is why pubs have to close early, so why are you complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I don't think they do and these posts about the virus can tell the time add nothing to any sort of discussion.

If there is a huge wave of infection it can overwhelm the healthcare system (Not just in Ireland) which prevents healthcare for other causes.

Can't believe after nearly two years people do not understand this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

The Outbreak Management Team (OMT) has advised implementing a hard lockdown in the Netherlands forcing the closure of all sectors, with the exception of essential shops such as supermarkets, pharmacies and drugstores. Sources confirmed this following similar reports by RTL Nieuws and NRC. The strict lockdown would be put in place to slow down the spread of the advancing Omicron variant of the coronavirus.

The lockdown would include barring the public from all non-essential shops and services, the hospitality industry, theaters, cinemas, museums, and schools, reported RTL Nieuws. RIVM director and OMT chair Jaap van Dissel will update the Cabinet ministers most connected to the developing crisis on Friday night.

With only 151 confirmed GS cases?

Other EU countries have a harder time than us, while we discuss virus knowing the time of day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It just shows how little is known about Omicron:

SA: reports they have or close to peak, reports of much milder illness, reports 70% of hospital cases are not being treated for Covid, just tested positive for routine treatment etc..

UK: Doing very little in the way of restrictions despite high case numbers, main focus is on boosters despite over 10mil still not fully vaccinated

Denmark: Closing schools early for Xmas, reduced hours for pubs etc...

Netherlands as you linked to seem to be looking at a very strict lockdown.

Me thinks there's a sense of panic around the uncertainty. I don't think anyone could call how it will pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

According to the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/dec/17/covid-news-live-g7-calls-omicron-biggest-threat-to-global-health-unvaccinated-face-winter-of-severe-illness-and-death-biden-warns

UK officials are drawing up plans for a two-week circuit breaker lockdown after Christmas, reports have suggested, including a ban on indoor mixing.

The Times reported that draft regulations were being prepared which would ban meeting others indoors except for work purposes, and that pubs and restaurants would be limited to outdoor service only.

Meanwhile, the Financial Times reported that Boris Johnson was presented with a number of options on Friday under a so-called Plan C, ranging from “mild guidance to nudge people, right through to lockdown”.

Oh right the Covid virus goes home at closing time too. Sorry my bad.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They do understand it, it just suits them to repeat the same old nonsense.

Quite simply, anyone who complains about measures to reduce Covid and simultaneously talks about the problems treating other diseases is not making a serious point but is just spouting. And it is an extraordinarily callous thing to do.

Is that the best you can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

If you are uncertain about all the variables (and you should be) just track one: numbers in hospitals. Never mind who comes into hospitals or if they have Omicron, comorbidities etc. Just that one number, the one that really counts. A lot of countries have hospital numbers going down. Start tracking that. We should see a huge rise IF Omicron infections rise fast (and they do) and say 50% less severe than Delta because of the infection numbers. Maybe someone can put up a series of graphs with Denmark and the UK as the early runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Nobody said that, it's the usual line trotted out in response to a timed restriction.

If people spend less time in an environment, they have less risk of catching covid.

Your reply will be that it will cause house parties, yes it may, however, if 100 people go to the pub, the same 100 people will not all attend the same house party afterwards.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with pubs having to close early, I'm just sick of people who can't understand risk over time exposure etc...

We have the same in everyday life, ok for an 18 year old to drink on his birthday but not 1 day beforehand, same for driving, 1 km over the speed limit is dangerous, but 1 under isn't, 15 mins on a sunbed, a certain number of xrays a year etc.... and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I actually do get the point of the curfew. I've seen lots of sarcastic posts today saying "The virus doesn't know what time it is", but the aim of a curfew is not to 'stop' transmission, but to reduce it.

The braver thing to do of course would be to shut down all hospitality immediately, but the point of a curfew is slow down transmission and buy themselves time with the booster jabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This is the type of infantile attitude that a lot of people have. Frankly, its why we end up with restrictions in the first place.

Its the type of person who has little emotional intelligence to understand the basic salient points of any given situation.

We are all sick of covid, we are all sick of restrictions, we are all sick of people losing jobs but this type of argument is akin to spoilt child territory.

The government need to divert funds from other public sectors to Health and create capacity. When covid cases are low, open the country fully. When a wave is on the horizon, lock up shop. Thats what living with covid should be in the short term.

Let's hope Omicron and future variants are not as severe. Let's hope we don't need another 15 jabs.

Keep doing the basics, if you don't, you are part of the problem and have no right to complain.

Oh ok ordinary people don't understand what they are doing, the experts know it all and closing Pubs at 8pm is the solution because Covid needs a certain amount of time to spread so by that logic it's better to crowd everyone together for a short period of time rather than spread them apart over a longer period of time. Great logic.

At this stage all us that don't understand are basically sick of the whole approach at this stage, they are just making it up as they go along. What's the point in these measures when we have open boarders with the UK were they have a very callus attitude to the whole thing and the Government there is happy to let the Virus run it's course.

First it was wear a mask for 4 days as the Virus cannot survive that length

Then shutdowns until we find a Vaccine

Now a new Virus so even though we have been Vaccinated we still must isolate? wtf? I'm Vaccinated, so are 96% of the population, the Omicron variation is not as lethal as the original Covid. Enough of the BS from the sensationalist Media, Politician's and Health service

It boils down to this

either get busy Living or get busy dying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

See it’s the dying part that most people have an issue with. Not necessarily as a direct result of Covid, more it’s effect on our health service and the provision of treatments for other illnesses.

But carry on, it’s only been explained a million times.

Yeah go tell that to the UK so

and I will carry on, like the vast majority are going to do from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Which is why an abundance of caution going forward is very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm just sick of people who can't understand risk over time exposure etc...

People do understand that it is not coming from hospitality but largely in unregulated social mixing. It's a somewhat pointless measure given how quickly this allegedly spreads but the sooner we can put some actual data on this variant, the sooner measures which invoke fear of the unknown can stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭brickster69

They just started giving those most at risk the booster 2 weeks ago. 🤦‍♂️

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Probable and suspected cases were at 200k a day at the start of the week and expected to hit a million a day by weekend.

So no, he isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd be cautiously optimistic for Ireland.

I think the wall of vaccination will hold combined with the current mindset of the populous.

It will be a tough Christmas for many, with a few hairy moments for the health service, I also think the majority of primary school kids may not see the inside of a classroom until Feb at least.

But IMHO we will fair much better than other places in Europe.

this is what this thread is for. We either speculate or don’t post.

i haven’t personally posted on covid since March 2020, the threat has been minimal since then. Omnicron could be very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Another incredibly interesting study has emerged re: the severity of omicron. It once again points to a milder variant, less effective at infecting cells.

https://www.citiid.cam.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/FIGURES-OMICRON-PAPER.pdf

SARS-CoV-2 Omicron spike mediated immune escape, infectivity and cell-cell fusion

“Importantly, fusogenicity of the Omicron spike is significantly impaired, leading to marked reduction in syncitia formation. These observations highlight that Omicron has gained immune evasion properties whilst compromising on properties associated with replication and pathogenicity.”

It does, with the people who leave. The aim of the 8pm ending time is to stop crowds building at all. If the pubs get crowded by 8pm they will stop everything.

A bit more from the author worth a read. Still a bit early to say what it means but it's a good sign. It supports the idea that Omicron is less well adapted to replication in the lungs.

For anybody wondering syncitia are formed when infected cells fuse together. This aids replication and makes them difficult for T-cells to kill. They're a hallmark for tissue damage and inflammation. Delta was particularly adept at forming them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Great research. It is more and more pointing towards expected mildness. Case numbers will be sky high, hospitalisations will be up but not to same extend and ICU shouldn't see much increase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I dunno did anyone share this already..but hospital age comparison Vs other waves in South Africa. The only thing is they had rougher delta waves compared to ours with low vacine take up increasing as the wave progressed. Different situation to us, so the difference between orange and grey bars may not hold true here but of course it could with progress of boosters in key groups in the population.

Interested to see why cases in Gauteng have flattened of ..is it backlog or test capacity or is true on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Testing in Gauteng is actually increasing at the moment

• Advertisement

Except it does the exact opposite.

When Pubs had a closing time it always ends in a rush for the last hour. That used to be the way when we had early closing on a Sunday night, the 8pm close will have the same effect.

Anyway, it's still a waste of time when we have open boarders with the UK where they give the 2 fingers to this whole aspect of isolation and mask wearing

Advertisement