Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

I'll disregard Twitter for the cesspool that it is. Omicron is more transmissable apparently but the illness is milder than delta which for the majority of the population was mild anyway. Try not to worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

You would think the apocalypse was upon us the way governments and health officials are reacting to Omicron both here and in the UK.. Meanwhile in South Africa , where the strain came from , the lowest level of restrictions are in place and a scroll through Sowetan's twitter feed would have you believing there was no pandemic. There is simply no panic around Omicrom in South Africa.

The travel ban was quietly lifted a few days ago with President Cyril Ramaphosa saying it was "knee-jerk reaction not based on scientific evidence"

The extreme reaction to Omicron is clearly worse than Omicron itself. Id understand if the bodies were piling up and the hospitals were overrun in SA , but its stable down there , despite the majority not even being vaccinated. . Im beginning to think there's a bigger agenda going on here because none of this is making sense anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Exactly this. This is just the beginning, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Tenner says another of the academics they follow is that Feigl Ding gobshite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Why 8pm?

Why not 10pm and at least the off licences will be closed when people stumble out of pubs and want to go to house parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭bloopy

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

I think at this stage we should probably consider locking down to 5km or adopting a Austrian model and restricting with police power all those who have only had *two doses* to their house. Only the boostered should be allowed out, and they must be allowed out as it will keep the economy somewhat running.

At this stage nothing is more important than shots in arms - Omicron has the potential to be devastating. Its terrible to see all the double jabbed thinking and assuming they were safe. This was never said. No one said having two doses prevented transmission, or would return life to normal this Christmas, it certainly was never suggested that granny might be saved by your first two jabs. Lets be honest you just want a few drinks - BUT please think about how dangerous you will be with only two shots, get your third RIGHT NOW or the safe humans might have to consider you an anti-science, flat-earther, trump-supporter. Being viewed this way would truly be worse than dying.

(obviously humour and sarcasm for those who get confused easily)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Gerry Killeen 😂😂 grade A nut job, should be put on the PUP like the rest of the wackos he’d soon change is tune.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have no doubt this will not be the end of it. We'll go piece by piece into lockdown. Or could be real quick, too. First sign of cases rising it will be panic stations and then I wouldnt put anything past them. Either way. Lockdown it is. Just a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

If you were ill with covid and at risk to going to hospital you wouldn't take the pill because of NPHET?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Yeah its sad that the medical health professionals steering Irelands path through this have fallen into such disrepute. Some might say that the continued existence of NPHET is a medical negative. This is something that should be deeply examined with a broad remit. Why did this happen, and have the members of NPHET done anything that might suggest they deserved this loss of faith?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Wouldnt you think they'd give one last weekend and have the 8pm closure kick in on Monday...Sunday seems a strange day to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Haven't been following much here but a few months ago there were several posters absolutely adamant that there would be no more lockdowns and those saying there would be were 'conspiracy theorists'.

we said vaccine passports were going to require regular top us and lo and behold Two doses don't work now, you will need three (of the same potion that didn't work with two) and then 4/5/6/7 - even though the current vaccines don't really work against the new variant- ( current NPHET models give the 2 doses little protection against omicron and 3rd jab 70% initial protection at best).

Anyway my question is, anyone previously pro lockdown now changing their mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭giveitholly

It is starting on Monday,rules kick in midnight on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Ooh thanks for that!Heading out Sun...places will prob be jointed this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Answered already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

I would be worried about the mental health of that poster tbh.

Given that this was recorded in summer 2020 before any vaccines were approved- has there ever been any video that has aged better?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

MM said the other day that everyone needs to keep their nerve. He pops off to the EU and then comes back to NPHET and then panics.

His speech today mostly referenced his trip to the EU. That they are more worried now than they have ever been. I remember February-March 2020. That was worry.

Everything coming out of South Africa sounds good. But he went to the EU and came back to sound out a message saying they are more worried now than ever before. Wierd. It sound like he is singing off a hymn sheet.

It sounds to me like the leaders at EU are panicking because of the civil disorder. Every weekend is getting worse. The french police were battered last weekend. This weekend will probably be the biggest, considering next weekend is Christmas. A bit of a blowout before the festive season.

The EU leaders will be facing severe trouble when as they promised, will start revoking the Vaccine Passes and fines for non vaccinated (probably non boostered too)

We will tolerate it in Ireland. More lockdowns won't be tolerated in mainland Europe. Police will stop turning up for work if they are getting battered every weekend.

• Advertisement

The only way out now is for a good proportion of the population to refuse boosters. We already know they will be required to 'live' in the near future but if enough refuse them then they won't be viable.

And that’s where minimum pricing kicks in after Jan 5th so it’s too expensive to go the offie.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I was in my local for 3 pints as normal this evening. Left as normal at 930. It was very very busy !!!!

it going to be a crazy weekend in pubs which is counter productive.

Stephens Day id normally head over around 4 and head home around 9 before it gets too messy. This year everyone will be bottlenecked into a 3 or 4 hour period ( I won’t go over now ). Again counter productive.

And the talk amongst a lot of my friends (40-49 year olds ) is they won’t bother getting the booster now. Once again counter productive.

So overall a waste of time and so frustrating. I’m not at all political but I never ever want to see or hear M Martin speak again. Spineless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Have to agree with all this, it's put back the effort over the last year back 10 fold, so many people turned off the vaccine including my parents oddly enough, what you'll also see now is people not bothering to test or isolate, as you said pubs will be jammed now for a shorter period instead of an ebb and flow throughout, it will be carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

So your argument is that the 30 members of NPHET are basing their public health advice on what will benefit their investment portfolios rather than what will benefit public health. Is that it?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ffs some people are so heartless. Lots of people are in a very bad place over all this, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's bullying at this stage. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭bloopy

To be fair, you don't need to be easily confused anymore to wonder if your comment is serious or not.

Poe's law and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah not gonna lie I thought it was serious until the end lol

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Of course we'll tolerate it.

Lets be honest here, we've been one of the easiest nations to subdue and control during this thing. Most of our population have been happy to swallow countless lies and false promises from our politicians. There has been very little desire to question people in authority, like in other countries, or to question the merit of most of the measures implemented.

Sadly, the mentality has very much been one of "any old port in a storm" from most people. Content to follow any sort of leadership figure - even terrible hapless ones like we have in government - rather than engage their own brain and trust their own judgement.

It's the lazy option, for people who don't want any kind of complications in their life.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Advertisement
Advertisement