Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you download the contact tracing app?

Options
1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why not? It's done all the time. My huawei has an ebay app that's also system app that cannot be removed.

There are other ways to improve penetration,such as a request to download every time you restart your phone
    It's not really that simple. Huawei installed that app on your phone as part of their build.

In order to force the HSE app to be installed, you'd need to get all phone manufacturers (or at least the major ones) to include the app in their base OS and then push it out in an OTA update to Irish users only.

Even if you could somehow encourage them to do this, it could be 6-12 months before the update went out as it has to go through several layers of testing.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    From this..
    Further, the HSE is unable to confirm how many people who have the app on their phones are using it correctly, that is, with bluetooth and GPS (in the case of Android) enabled.
    This is intentional. If the HSE had access to this level of data, it would be exactly the privacy-sucking nightmare that some people believe it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why not? It's done all the time. My huawei has an ebay app that's also system app that cannot be removed.

There are other ways to improve penetration,such as a request to download every time you restart your phone

That's bloatware and it annoys people.

Organisations like HSE or government cannot force apps on people.

Imagine the outcry if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

seamus wrote: »
    It's not really that simple. Huawei installed that app on your phone as part of their build.

In order to force the HSE app to be installed, you'd need to get all phone manufacturers (or at least the major ones) to include the app in their base OS and then push it out in an OTA update to Irish users only.

Even if you could somehow encourage them to do this, it could be 6-12 months before the update went out as it has to go through several layers of testing.

This is intentional. If the HSE had access to this level of data, it would be exactly the privacy-sucking nightmare that some people believe it to be.

The HSE app could be pushed out by Google alone as an extension of Google Play or any of the Google services that are default installed on Android. You wouldn't need to have the other manufacturers on board other than Apple (and they could do something similar in the App Store).
    Technically it wouldn't be difficult, and it's a compromise I'd be willing to make in order for society to open up more fully.

Because that's the trade off. We either adopt these kind of measures to make contact tracing more efficient or we accept cruder wider measures across society..or we let it run through the population with every man for himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The HSE app could be pushed out by Google alone as an extension of Google Play or any of the Google services that are default installed on Android. You wouldn't need to have the other manufacturers on board other than Apple (and they could do something similar in the App Store).
    Technically it wouldn't be difficult, and it's a compromise I'd be willing to make in order for society to open up more fully.

Because that's the trade off. We either adopt these kind of measures to make contact tracing more efficient or we accept cruder wider measures across society..or we let it run through the population with every man for himself

I'd rather leave my phone switched off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Not sure if already posted

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/nearly-half-a-million-people-have-deleted-the-covid-19-tracker-app-39485263.html

Nearly half a million people have deleted the Covid-19 tracker app
    A BRIEF technical issue has led to some people deleting the Covid-19 tracing app, leaving 1.2 million active users compared to the 1.65 million who downloaded it since early July.

The app has been downloaded by 33pc of the Irish population – among the highest rates in Europe – and its developers have been hired to roll out a similar service in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Gibraltar and Pennsylvania.

Like many European versions, Ireland’s app uses architecture designed by Alphabet’s Google and Apple. A Google Play Services update caused the app to rapidly drain handset batteries for a two-day period earlier this month.

Perhaps they're not counting those who re-installed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Who's using this app? Has it been yet another complete waste of money? Millions spent for something that had no tangible effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Does everyone not have the covid cert uploaded on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I deleted it the day Snake Oil Nolan said contract tracing was an “academic exercise”.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Of course not. The cert was issued in PDF format that didn't require the official app.

The official app has never been on my phone, and I've had no issues the few times I've been forced to use the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Only issue I would have would be finding it. It’s handy in the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I guess there is that aspect of the app.

I created a folder on my phone, saved the pass in there, and linked the folder to my home screen so I have a shortcut that takes me straight to the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just deleted it the other day. Diagnosed with Covid asked contact tracing for a code to upload my contacts on the app. Awkward silence followed by,don't worry about that you can just give me names and phone numbers. Ridiculous stuff really

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was wondering about this. Checked the app and it says only 20,000 people have uploaded their IDs since the pandemic began

Only reason I have it these days is because it's a convenient place to host my covid cert. And even for that it's not very good as it requires an internet connection to load.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Such a shame that this App was never expanded and moved with the pandemic as it evolved. Right now with PCR testing collapsing and this all fuelled by the requirement of a digital cert to attend a restaurant or fly on a plane - surely we should have an App that can accept Antigen test results via QR code?

Why was this project allowed not to realise it's potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

its, couldn't be ar$ed to edit my original post as its almost 1am. That okay hun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

The app is in the toilet, where it belongs imo, hape of shoite!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bombastic93

This app is no longer being used by HSE for its intended purposes as far as I can see.

Got positive PCR this week and completed contact tracing by entering my close contact details on a website, link was provided in text message notifying me of positive result. I was not contacted by contact tracers by phone at any time or provided any code to upload my data from the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What has the PCR testing issue got to do with digital certs? You need to go to a private testing centre to go on a plane and the small number of anti-vaxxers hoping for recovery certs for restaurants is nowhere near enough to overwhelm the system. PCR testing system is overwhelmed because covid is rampant, simple as.

Advertisement