Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There was no surprise, Government would have us think that The CMO and Philip Nolan, met MM, LEO & Eamonn Ryan during the week to discuss Christmas gifts idea's, it's utter nonsense. I've absolutely no doubt restriction measures were discussed, it's simply beggars belief, 2 days later somehow NPHET miraculously came up with new restriction idea's.

NPHET met on Thursday, all quite until the standard letter was sent across Thursday evening. Leaks commenced shortly afterwards.

Next morning Government TD's and senators rolled out to express shock and horror, then we hear "Yet again" ministers blind sided as no mention of any restrictions mentioned or flagged at earlier meeting during the week. (This excuse really worn out by now)

Then the silliness went from ridiculous to absolute farce, Government were going to "Defy" NPHET by 3 hours, now we entered the Territory of just plain absurdity.

Meehole goes to the Plint, announces the 8pm closure hoping the nation would be greatful of his Brave stance (Complete Tool)

Finally and to use, Leo's favorite word 'Peculiar " the CMO turns up later at the government press conference in a pathetic show of Solidarity, the Gag order didn't last too long. Not once, I repeat, Not once has the CMO attended these after announcement press conferences and yet we're supposed to believe there was no Coordination regarding the ultimate decision on further restrictions.

It's incredulous, Ludicrous, Beyond belief and actually quite pathetic.

We can however be thankful for one thing, Eaomonn Ryan's absence from the press conference 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Well our health experts very clearly don't believe in them

Kids vaccine roll out starts next week doesn't it?

What odds dyou reckon on kids needing a vaccine to go to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Without a doubt that's going to be a mandatory requirement by March at the latest.

Glazers Out!

Yup this has been how to undermine a booster rollout in 24 hours.

I was never vulnerable, I took it so life could resume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not so much that cases will rise, more about what a lot of cases might do to hospital numbers. It may do nothing much or it may do something alarming but with the unknown outcomes of Omicron the government needs to be quite risk averse.

Embracing yet another dubious and somewhat pointless NPHET idea is not really the way to do that. Shoring up people’s immunity system with boosters is really a far better solution and yes there is undoubtedly a level of coercion about that for some people. Unfortunately, that's where this damned virus has left us, facing unpalatable decisions all around.

Even if Omicron does pass very quickly you can't really see these latest measures being reversed until the end of January. 

As I've said many times during this, COVID has changed all, some have even managed to enthusiastically embrace their worst devils. Yeah it's great for someone whose path though life seems to involve an unhealthy level of otherness but we really must keep the unwashed outside the gates.

There was no surprise, Government would have us think that The CMO and Philip Nolan, met MM, LEO & Eamonn Ryan during the week to discuss Christmas gifts idea's, it's utter nonsense. I've absolutely no doubt restriction measures were discussed, it's simply beggars belief, 2 days later somehow NPHET miraculously came up with new restriction idea's.

The surprise is that they haven't done it more often., They actually have form in this, October of last year, they went went from being happy with a Level 3 to recommending a Level 5 in just two days, without telling anyone. It's also ironic that a body whose models are almost static can change direction in such a short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Zero per cent

Secondary students didn’t need one (nor staff for that matter ) . In fact they can’t even be asked if they have taken one when they test positive or are close contact etc

Yeah a real horrible side to the country has emerged, a fanatical resentment of those who don't "comply"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I've seen a Facebook post get shared twice in the last few hours from a page called "Restrictions Updates Ireland"

PUBLICANS PLANNING TO IGNORE TAOISEACHS 8PM CLOSING.. REBELLION WITHIN THE INDUSTRY BEGINS MONDAY

Obviously it's only a rumor and not the most reliable news source but every major decision started with a rumor so I'd keep the eye open on this one

I can't see it happening personally but at a minimum a lot of rural pubs will just close until end of January, there'd be no sense whatsoever in them opening for essentially 3 hours trade. I also think larger pubs offering food etc will start cutting back on services, food etc and try and weather the storm, no doubt there'll be a lot of staff ay offs. The real question is how long this new dictate will last, I'd be very sceptical of a relaxing of these measures happening end of January.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I hope they do - if every pub / restaurant in the country was in solidarity then the government would have to either roll back on the restrictions or call a general election as theyve lost the mandate from the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

We really are an anti vaxxers wet dream in this country.

The most restricted country in Europe over the past 2 years along with being one of the most vaccinated countries in Europe,

This is my own thinking

I won't be boosted before Christmas, had a bad kick with dose 2 and don't want that before Christmas. I might get around to it in the new year, might not.

Not like I'll be going anywhere, or I am high risk. Id rather the booster went to someone who needs it more, if even to help their anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Doing a grand job undermining the vaccines alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Don't see it playing out like that.

It's not a requirement for second level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Exactly, alot of folks (apart from the bedwetters) under 50 are asking the same questions - what was the point of the vaccines, the language and actions of Government and NPHET suggest they've failed spectacularly.

They won't, it's heat of the moment stuff at work. It's Christmas week and they'll just muddle through and they'll see where they are over the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yep.

The house parties is where it happens.

I should know as my son contracted it this way down in Limerick last year.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong and hopefully I am but I'm beginning to think government underming its own vaccine message. We're constantly being told we're in a better place 🤔, Really 🤔, they constantly quote how well we're doing, Number 4 etc in Europe for boosters , this very government fought against boosting health care workers last September 🙄

I personally believed vaccine protection was waning months ago and yet government only really accepted this around November.

The booster campaign was a shambles during the first few weeks , even before Omicron appeared and then they open it up to the entire population knowing systems weren't coping and not enough staff in place.

Then , there's all the measures, track and trace they'd essentially abandoned in September, antigen testing debacle etc

Obviously Omicron wasn't anticipated but the dogs on street new variants were always a possibility.

I personally got my booster (immune compromised) 2 weeks ago and am greatful but I was struck listening to others at the GP surgery, how many were asking the same Question, why are we bothering and this before yesterday's announcements.

Again, hope I'm wrong but honestly someone at government or Health Department level needs to stop and think, what's going on is just absurd and its only going to get worse .

Again all the above a humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Just to point out, studies show influenza vaccine only lasts 6 months. Then it has no benefit. Covid19 vaccine seems to be slightly better.

e.g. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.16.21267902v1

Just because you're double vaxxed won't really mean anything scientifically from a certain period of time. If you want protection a booster will be required. Deciding that you're going to have a go at NPHET by not getting booster could backfire if you're one of the unlucky ones susceptible to covid19.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Deciding that you're going to have a go at NPHET by not getting booster could backfire if you're one of the unlucky ones susceptible to covid19.

I think Ill take my less than 1% chance of serious illness over a booster any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

That's up to you, personally I've very little concern for my health as regards covid19 but will get booster to keep my wife happy, covid19 travel pass and potentially help out health care workers.

My point is that covid19 vaccine is not like measles vaccine. If you want to be protected you'll likely need a vaccination at least once a year or natural immunity.

Covid19 vaccine is like food.

You don't say, I was told to eat today and I did and I'm not eating again.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

The pandemic supports were renewed until end of April.

I'll be absolutely shocked if any of these restrictions will be lifted before then.

Hope I'm wrong.

That **** what was going to be a brilliant 6 nations.

Even st Patrick's day is ruined again.

2022 looks wrote off already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

A triple vaxxed person has no more rights after 8pm than a completely unvaccinated person. How is this acceptable? Can Luke O Neil disappear into the ether now because everything he has uttered over the last year has been complete bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yes, hospital and ICU numbers have dropped significantly (they seem to have gotten a hold on Hospital outbreaks). Numbers testing positive have stabilised and a new milder variant is on the scene. All very positive stuff but yet we are given more restrictions.

You can see why the HSE is such a shambles and mess now.

The absolutely nonsense decisions these guys make is plain for all to see.

I hope you're right but I think you will be proven wrong at some stage in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

Some questions I think most people want answered honestly are

From Monday why can you enter a pub at 11 am and drink like a savage until 8pm but not enter a pub at 5 pm and drink until midnight . How does that work?

people who are at house parties over Xmas and drinking all hours, why is this allowable?

why are schools open? Why are they open next week? surely the virus is running wild amongst the young and they will give to mum and dad and siblings and they will pass on etc etc, I don’t get why If this virus is so dangerous the schools are not closed.

why are we allowing flights into the country regardless of vaccination and even when flights were basically banned last year why were the government allowing employers fly in cheap labour, like Larry goodman and other food processors etc etc, from Brazil where at the time the virus was not only rampant but mutating

why are rich countries like Ireland allowed to buy up millions of vaccines to offer third and fourth jabs to people but countries in Africa, South America and Asia can’t even offer first jabs to their people , this more then anything is dreadful to see and also to see people Just explain it away with a wave of the hand. When you are giving a rich white 5 year old a jab while a 75 year old poor black woman dies of covid and you can’t see the problem with this then you are a racist.

i wish someone would ask our leaders those questions

Advertisement