Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think that testing capacity has been under strain for some weeks particularly with schools (after an outbreak) and GPs insisting on negative tests. I suppose what will be interesting is the positivity percentage.

But presumably the other key metric will be the numbers in hospital but I do fear that if Omicron is milder there could still be a lot of cases in hospitals (for other issues) which are then presented as Covid cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Very shortly hospitalisations will be the only metric. We just won’t be able to test everyone who is symptomatic. Unfortunately if we are reacting to hospitalisation figures, we are reacting far too late with something that has transmissibility and growth rates like omicron.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We will see a lot more cases, perhaps massive numbers, but whether we get overrun remains to be seen but you really wouldn't trust a NPHET model projection to tell you that. That said their optimistic model or the one anywhere close to reality has hospitals at 1,000 at worst and ICU topping out at 200. The latter would cause a lot of problems to the system but NPHET model relationships to hospital numbers is a complete fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭prunudo

You'll probably also have to factor in the people who will be getting tested from Wednesday on to see if they are 'safe' to attend Christmas dinners. A lot of people will use the pcr system to given themselves the all clear so I think capacity will be high at the end of the week regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I love the way the government and NPHET seem to definitively now know how bad things are going to get and are fairly sure about that fact when one week ago they were talking about taking a sensible approach and opening past 12 for New Years.

The tanaiste last night spoofing yesterday evening about how we are going to break all records and there are going to be very dark days in January...when last **** week he said no more restrictions! Talking to us like we are children and he knows the consequences of whats coming and us poor souls need to be informed. They have no idea what's coming, no more than anyone does!

Like this thing of they were shocked by the modelling and this and that is going to happen yet the models have been consistently wrong!! We were supposed to have 500 in ICU at this stage.

Surely vaccinations and boosters are also very important? From what I have read, and maybe I am reading the wrong stuff, but I understand the vaccinations are still very effective against this variant and will mean that symptoms are mild in the vast majority of people who get it.

It also occurs (and again maybe this is my misunderstanding) but there will be a lot of family and friend events in homes over the next weeks. Wondering whether these new restrictions will have any material effect?

Anyway, all we can do is hope and pray that this is an overreaction by NPHET as otherwise it will be another very bleak winter.

I expect it will be be an over reaction but unfortunately NPHET will also be proven correct in terms of caution and restrictions.

Post edited by cuttingtimber22 on

The cases will very likely increase a lot, based on Denmark and the UK, but the rest on hospitals is more very loose and probably wrong guesswork. The problem here is that cases are the be all and end all for the government especially when they are linked to another projected health system collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So the Government are listening to Philip Nolans projections and so are they planning where to put these patients ? Have they made plans to use private hospitals again or will we be in tents somewhere ? If they are so certain the tsunami of cases is coming what are their plans ?

Or will the just wing it and hope we fend for ourselves ?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Yeah I've absolutely no doubt about the cases..but like you said..the assertions on hospitals and deaths is guessing. But the way they spoke last night with such authority that this is definitely going to happen yet they absolutely don't know would drive you mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Whatever happens I’d say the testing system as we know it will soon change. To what I don’t know. Testing figures and case numbers will very soon be meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The whole post is waffle but

I'd guess you don't have children and don't understand how important family is to most.

That is right up there with one of the stupidest things I've read in a long time.

There are many people like you too who have never had a difficult period in their lives and are unable to deal with it.

The ones who have suffered hardship are not the ones afraid of Covid.

Those petrified of covid and living in their attics reading books and doing video calls should not consider themselves brave.

A friend of mine got tested today because his son went to a party and then went home to visit his parents two days later and then found out he has Omicron.

An anecdotal story that is nothing short of unbelievable. There is 39 confirmed cases of omicron in Ireland.

Your friend had about a one in a million chance of becoming a confirmed omicron case on that day. Some people are really unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I'm fully brainwashed. I caught covid-19 before this country knew what covid-19 was, then I caught it again in 2021 February as she stands.

The shuttle took off just the other day, leaving the world in the usual way, heading to space to deliver supplies to the ISS hanging high in the sky, but when the count-down started they said hold the phone, they were not alone, the crew was not alone....

Cause there's a bat on the shuttle with a broken wing, clinging to the tank while the launch-bells ring houston there's a problem hanging on its side the bats going to really fly, they shouldn't even be inside...

Even before the launch they knew he was there chilling in the sun yeah would never a care the scientists said that it would be ok that that little bat wouldn't get in the way and as it started to clock they hoped the bat was stuffed the ride was going to be rough did the dispatch have the right stuff....

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

The Tánaiste is a bluffer alright who can't resist a microphone. A few weeks ago he wasn't questioning the models and playing down the problem, but now it's armageddon. Hard to know what to believe.

The funny thing is, the hospital situation today is more or less the same as early October... Back when we couldn't see any reason for not removing restrictions on October 22nd.

Now with similar figures, NPHET deem it necessary to close hospitality at 5pm...

Remember when heavy restrictions were seen as a necessary response to prevent 6 figure deaths? Well now we can use them just as a precaution. Thousands forced out of work every time NPHET think we might see increases in hospital numbers.

The same way we can now close schools for amber warnings.

Close culture has taken over in this country.

Pat Leady described their predictions as being "drunkenly inaccurate" in the IT but it's just not the time to be challenging them and the government needs to look like they know what they are doing, to the nation.

At least the Taoiseach admitted yesterday on live TV that living with COVID does NOT mean anything like normality in his eyes.

He sees living with COVID as constant jabs and very heavy restrictions. It was great to hear him admit to that disgraceful attitude.

So we can finally stop with the "Just a few more jabs in arms" nonsense.

Normality and a return to previous freedoms is not their goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

I got the whole family PCR tested yesterday. Anyone know how long it is till results will come through?

good chance by this evening. But no guarantees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭giveitholly

We got results last week and took anything from 26 hours to 30 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Good article by Daniel McConnell, says it as it is and how most of us are feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

At last journalists are questioning the decisions made by Goverment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Oh it’s surely obvious now to everyone that nothing is ever going to enough for the like of NPHET. It literally doesn’t matter what we do, it will never be enough. People surely do realise that now. We could have every man, woman and child vaccinated and it’s still won’t be enough. They’ve effectively turned an effective vaccine into the ultimate “snake oil” ironically.

Other countries look at it differently or to be more specific aim to live with this as much as possible. If they can open up fully then they will for as long as they can and if they need to impose more restrictions then they will, this is literally living with covid, this is NOT the view of NPHET when it comes to living with covid and won’t be until the power is stripped from them or we get someone to actually run the country.

Low case numbers and really low hospital and icu numbers is a concerning situation, high case numbers and high hospital and icu numbers is a concerning situation, it literally does not matter.

It’s a bit like being stuck at home with the kids on wet day and they are mad to play outside, so the minute it stops raining ye send them out, mitigate by giving them the wellies and the jacket.

When it comes to COVID that’s what other countries do, go out when the rain stops but take those few precautions. In Ireland we keep staring out the window cos the weatherman said it might rain again tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

My worry is that Omicron is not out competing delta and replacing it.

It’s growing with it instead…

Look at this https://twitter.com/theosanderson/status/1471907339397738502?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Modelling used to justify Sajid Javid’s claim that there were 200,000 omicron infections a day has been abandoned by health officials.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/17/sajid-javids-200000-daily-omicron-cases-claim-no-longer-valid/

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

Speaking of ear worms.

• Advertisement

Advertisement