Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Why in the world are you bringing race into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Less risk of transmission if you're getting blotto before 5pm because the pub will be nearly empty.

Schools are open because kids need an education.

I'm sure you can figure the rest out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If we were 100% vaccinated we would still be bringing in restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'd agree with you if the entire mindset wasn't shifting the way it has been recently.

We've had doctors and politicians on the radio and TV calling for vaccine certs to enter shops in recent weeks.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

I never considered that, if you said it 6 months ago people would of thought you were crazy.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Of course, any reasonably intelligent person can tell it’s all political now with no scientific basis whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I think if they make It mandatory they will have a fight on there hands as there is a requirement to provide education. Im vaccinated and boosted but I will think long and hard before my two young kids have this vaccine. We are here to protect them not for them to protect us - it was meant to be balanced against their own risk not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I said it 6 months ago. I said that this winter, post-vaccination programme, that the same people who called for restrictions last winter would be calling for restrictions this winter, and for the very same reasons.

I got a lot of posters calling me a whinger and doom monger. They were wrong then and they continue to be wrong today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,126 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would have thought any reasonably intelligent person would question what any politician in power hopes to gain by it. I cannot see where the upside for them is tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Asked in the other thread, but they were too busy throwing handbags at each other, but does anyone know if gyms fall under the 8PM rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭sporina

why do cinemas have to close at 8pm??? what the difference if i go to a movie at 6pm or 9pm covid wise?? serious Q..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

I reckon this latest pantomime is just to soften us up for a full closure of the pubs / restaurants / cinemas / theatres, etc. in a week or two. I’ve said before that I expect a lockdown in all but name and that it would be done bit by bit. I only wonder whether it’ll be Christmas Eve or New Year’s Eve when the axe falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

And I would have thought the answer to what the politician has to gain very obvious. It is the following:

Irish politicians are very well paid and for the most part, very secure financially. Many of them are in the wealthy and super wealthy categories. So why would they bother rocking the boat by going against an individual as forceful as TH and a monster of their own creation, NPHET, who they have allowed unbridled power? It's so much easier for them to just go with it. In their cushy positions they have zero concept of the nightmare of self employment in such difficult times and the nightmare of trying to run a business. The tragedy for Ireland is that the vast majority of the people who run for public office do it for the perks of the job, not to make any great difference, not to be courageous or honorable. I say the vast majority as there are a very small few with genuine integrity, but too few to make any notable difference. It's actually very depressing how appalling the political class is in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

The problem is even at 100% we will still have new variants and waning efficacy etc - it's a pointless strategy of chasing our tails permanently.

Treatment and living with it is the way out.

Apparently if early treatment was administered to covid patients that died up to half could have been saved ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They are creeping into a lockdown bit by bit as they are afraid to announce a lockdown so the government think that by doing it bit by bit no one will notice. It will be interesting to see how quickly Restrictions will be lifted if it turns out Omicron is nothing but the sniffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Unfortunately past experience tells us it’ll be months and months before the public is thrown a few crumbs and in the meantime a coordinated PR campaign is likely to be employed to keep us distracted by blaming each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

And worse of all - it is the virus fault, as some posters here keep on insisting. Jesus wept.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Plus you have to actually have courage, vision, and leadership ability to make the unpopular and optically poor decision to stay the course, even though both medium and long term it’s the right call. Remember, at this point the default state has become: Restrict!

Plus, Trump or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

It does seem milder yet the media keep running with the notion of "it could be as severe as Delta" which means it isn't

Although one thing I do agree with the dormers is that the issue here is a small portion of a massive number v a larger portion of a smaller number...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Would be interested in seeing where you base your opinion that "the unvaccinated take up disproportionate resources from the health system....."

Particularly when the number for % positive cases not vaccinated has been has been in steady decline. Even the CSO statistics don't fit the narrative any more, Last week the had to publish a second revision to boost the unvaccinated numbers. This week looks like the just didn't bother mentioning them.

Those that died with covid now down to where it was in September when we were expecting restrictions would be removed in October. Didn't happen then wont be happening any time soon.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Who knows but I’m sure Meehole was kept well informed when he was in Brussels during the week. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sekiro

There is no difference.

The problem is and always has been the capacity of our healtcare services. More cases means more hospitalizations.

What have we done to prepare for that? Absolutely nothing.

So since the government have done nothing at all to actually fix the problem, despite knowing about this problem for almost 2 full years, they now need to put on the appearance of "doing something". So here we are.

I seriously doubt they've put much thought into it. I doubt they've looked at numbers of people going to the cinema and noticed that 8pm to midnight is a particularly exceptionally busy time so they want to shut that down. I doubt they've even bothered to establish what kind of case numbers are a result of people going to the cinema.

Schools, workplaces and homes are the main drivers of cases so let's shut pubs and that down at, hmmmm, pick a number, 8pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary,that is EXACTLY my arguement.

When unelected and previously largely unknown administrators are suddenly given,almost absolute,access to power,it can distort many of their faculties.

In my opinion,this distortion has been visible in many of the Top Tier NPHET people for some time now.

It certainly appears to be a worrying element of the CMO's,by now regular,appearances on the media (including the some irregular sharing of the Government podium yesterday).

Few,if any of the CMO's concerns now appear to be directly virus related,but instead focus on the FAR broader issue of controlling MASS Public Interaction and Alcohol consumption.

The indications are,and have been for quite some time,that he desires a huge and enforced change in Public Behaviour,with suitably stringent punishment for those who resist.

To return to your original point,I would suggest that members of NPHET should be asked to submit details of recent Investment decisions made by them or On their behalf ,to establish whether any "Insider Trading" type of behaviour has occured.

One CANNOT take an overview of the Western World's Pandemic response which ignores the Incredible good financial fortune it has brought to the already well funded Pharmacutical Industry.

Close relationships between Senior Administrators and equally senior CEO's rarely,if ever,equal good news for the Great Unwashed,and that stands for little ol' Ireland just as id does with Grosser Europa !

To sum up SafeSurfer....Follow the MONEY,it will lead you to enlightment ! 🤑🤑🤑

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The * means they don't have the data yet or that it's not final, in the week of 3/12 they had double (edit: not sure if these numbers including under 12 cases which would change the maths) the chance of being infected over the rest of the population (and they caveat that it's self reported, so not wholly accurate).

And because Omicron seems to evade previous infections (boosters seem to work) that % is likely to increase. Watch what happens in London.

And the problem isn't cases, it's the high % of unvaccinated that end up hospitalised vs. vaccinated, if anything, the dropping % would show the COVID pass system is having the intended effect (which was probably not your intent when posting this, but that's the numbers).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

If we got to 100% vaccinated the next step after boosters is self flagellation for all of us who forget to obey the commands of NPHET to the letter.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You make an excellent point.

NPHET's make up comprises the best & brightest of Ireland Public Administrators and an assortment of other folks with Degree's and Cert's in exotic practices.

Many of these will have flitted in and out of the HSE's flickering flame over their years in "power" and so will be well accquainted with "How the system works".

These people represent EXACTLY why the HSE is,as you accurately describe it "A shambles & a Mess".

Right now,particularly after Friday's performance it is imperative that NPHET,as currently devised should be disbanded and replaced by a smaller,broader representative group,with a clear direction to focus on Living with and Exiting current Covid "Emergency Measures".

If not,then Lunatics running Asylum Ireland is the New Normal.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

One thing I learned in all this is that you need to be very careful who you elect into government in the future. The ease at which the current government / NEPHET take away our liberty is astonishing.

The other issue is Michael Martin completely afraid to stand up to NEPHET. When Nephet make a "recommendation" we all know it's an order and will most definitely be implemented.

Advertisement