Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Probably picked the names out of a hat randomly for the fixtures rather than showing some sense and letting teams sort something out to avoid a fixture list like we got in June.

Must have had John Delaney's number rather than Jonathan Hills and he agreed to take the **** fixture list for an extra few quid.

Ukraine two away fixtures to Scotland and us before two home fixtures.

Scotland two home fixtures before playing us and then away to Armenia.

Armenia are A, H, A, H, but their away fixture in-between the home games is Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It would have been far better to have had one of those faraway trips in September. Even having them in consecutive matches would have been better than the way it is now because at least then we could have flown between them directly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The fixture list shows that travelling fans weren't considered at all anyway. Was hoping to do Armenia and Ukraine in 1 trip similar to Georgia Switzerland but 2 trips in 2 weeks is a bit much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Gardner Hickman dropping back to the bench in favour of Livermore. WBA fans are going mad, with some justification I would say. He's been quality.

• Advertisement

WBA fans seem to have a strong dislike towards Livermore and probably annoys them more that the manager has said before he starts when fit because he's the captain.

Scheduling for the next Nation's League will be just as jam packed with the introduction of the South American teams to the competition. Top 6 teams go into League A making it a 22 league team and the remaining 4 into League B making it 20 teams.

Looking like Uefa and Conmebel coming together to give FIFA and their biannual world cup the two fingers.

Has to be making the squad. We're crying out for another deep lying playmaker to have within the squad and he's one that's playing regularly. Sod the U21s really and they can replace him with Johansson or Connell.

FAI are looking to play a high profile team in one of the games in March and we'll probably select our strongest XI for that game leaving just the one game for some lads to get a run out. And you've got lads like Connolly, Parrott, Keane, Molumby, Collins, Manning, Kelleher or Travers that will be looking for starts in that other game so doesn't leave much room for uncapped players. Then you'll have lads like Knight, Brady, and O'Dowda.

That's very interesting. I'd certainly prefer it to a biennial World Cup - especially given the ridiculous 48 team format of the World Cups from 2026 onwards. I wonder where all of those CONMEBOL teams would ultimately end up League-wise. Brazil and Argentina are obviously A-standard. I have a feeling that most of the rest would be B-league, apart from Venezuela and Bolivia who would be C-league. Ecuador and Bolivia would both really suffer with the loss of their high altitude home game advantages.

In terms of the format. UEFA's 55 teams + CONMEBOL's 10 gives 65 teams. That's only 1 off 64 which is a great number for dividing. 4 Leagues with 4 groups of 4 in each (and an extra team somewhere) seems like the best format, although it would likely take a few cycles to get to that point.

Yes I understand that that's where they will be placed initially. I'm speculating about where they will end up after a few versions of the League have been played and relegations occur.

• Advertisement

Yeah misread it at first and with the stupid new update you can't delete posts unfortunately. Think they could easily keep four teams in League A, but the format is gonna be a nightmare because I don't think any of them will every drop below League B. Think it will always be kept at a 22 team League A and 20 team League B because when it comes to deciding play off places results against Conmebel teams won't count. So don't think you can ever have equal teams in almost every group.

CONMEBOL teams can't qualify for the play-offs? That's bizarre. If they're going to have them in the competition they should treat them the same as any other nation in it.

Don't think Conmebol teams can play in the Euros and have their own WC qualification. Whatever about the finals of the nation's league but it's the playoffs that determine places for European and WC playoffs that's going to cause problems. How they sort that issue is going to be interesting.

Oh sorry. I misread your statement. I thought you meant the knockout tournament at the end to determine the overall winner. Ah yes yeah it wouldn't make sense for them to be in the Euros play-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Liam Scales could see some game time today when Celtic take on Hibs in the Premier Sports Cup Final

Wasn't many matches on this weekend but a few lads put some good performances in.

Gavin Kilkenny - 7

Perhaps Bournemouth's standout outfield player. Playing at the base of midfield, Kilkenny swept up second balls well, made key interceptions/blocks and tried to switch the play with intensity. This particular noion was reflected in Parker's decision to keep him on over Lewis Cook for the final 10 or so minutes.

Mark Travers - 8

Undoubtedly the best player. Made two key saves at the start of either half and was kept busy throughout. It seemed Travers made stops with every part of his body (chest, legs, of course hands). He even dived the correct way for the penalty, but was just out of reach.

Again, the Irishman was commanding in dealing with crosses and was left completely exposed by the lack of protection ahead of him.

Darragh Lenihan - 9

Enjoyed more touches in the opposition half than he did his own but he was absolutely colossal once more. Responded to everything Birmingham threw his away, dominant and aggressive. And the pass for his assist was exquisite.

Lenihan seems to be getting better and better each week and they're now third in the table and one point behind Bournemouth who were poor yesterday. Travers getting all the plaudits for keeping the score line to 1-0. The one downside to Travers though is his distribution isn't the best. It's probably the one thing that will keep him third choice once Bazunu, who I think is going right to the top and Kelleher are available. Even with Kelleher picking splinters from his hole I think his ability with the ball at his feet will keep him second choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would have thought Travers was second choice tbh. Only for the Serbia game he might be first choice still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Should Kelleher go on loan ? Or is he at that awkward stage?

Not as good as the first team option. But nice to have for a few cup games or if the no1 is out.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah that’s it really - i’d say if not for Alisson having a record of picking up a few niggles here and there, and the possibility of Covid striking anyone down any time, he’d have likely gone on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jake Doyle-Hayes starting for Hibs in the Scottish League Cup final against Celtic. Game is live from 3pm on Premier Sports. Liam Scales on the bench for Celtic.

It ends 2-1 to Celtic as they claim the cup. Scales subbed on for the final ten minutes. Doyle-Hayes played the whole game and had a quiet first half with one or two nice moments. He was mainly on defensive duties with Celtic dominating the ball.

Post edited by Mr.Nice Guy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hendrick getting a 20 minute run out for Newcastle.

Surely he will be off elsewhere during the transfer window?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Only if a good contract offer comes in from somewhere, which I can't really see happening. He went there on a free, so he'll be on a very good wage, which I doubt he'd be willing to give up since he's turning 30 in a few weeks. He's one they might keep around for the promotion battle next season maybe. 2 more years left on his deal after this one, so if they got back up I wouldn't be surprised to see them pay him off with 1 year to go.

Newcastle have the money to pay him off or just send him out on loan and cover most if not all his wages. Doubt any of their midfielders will be in high demand so can't see Hendrick being kept around for a possible promotion battle next season when he's fifth choice among a bad bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think out of all the young strikers we were hoping would progress Obafemi is the most alarming. I actually think he could drop even further. Himself and Connolly need to really get the heads down now and start working hard on the training pitch. Idah needs a loan move. A full season in the championship or even league 1 wouldn't do him any harm. It's actually hard to gauge the progress when he's only playing 10-15 minutes per week. I'd also hope that Kellher see a bit more game time soon in cups or what have you. He is young for a goalie but it's very hard to progress sitting on the bench. I think a championship loan for Bazunu beckons next season and that will help him continue with his progress. Himself and Travers are really solid goalies as is.

He's never gonna be Liverpool's number one but will probably still pick up a lower down PL team when he leaves the club.

Bazunu though is definitely doing the right thing and getting this first team experience at a young age. Wouldn't be shocked if he does eventually go on to be City's number one when Ederson leaves.

He's also just over three years younger than Kelleher but has 60 club games to his name already compared to Kellehers 11. Has one less international cap at 19 than Kelleher has games for Liverpool at 23.

Yeah exactly, both doing what their clubs require of them in the moment. Alisson has missed strings of games over the past few seasons, so the club are clearly more comfortable having Kelleher around over Adrian - and gave him a bumper new 5 year contract as a result.

The most important thing really is that both lads have maintained their positions of importance with their senior clubs really... I saw some people saying Kelleher should leave if Liverpool wouldn't loan him so he could fight for his Ireland place, but that's such a short termist way of thinking about it. He's got 10+ years of his senior career ahead of him, and staying at Liverpool for the moment absolutely boosts his chances of spending the majority of his career at a high level club. If you take the jump down to some league 1 or championship club, it's very hard to climb back up as a goalkeeper. It's a position clubs try to buy for the long haul, and there's only generally 20 of them playing regularly in the whole top division. Opportunities don't come along often, so when you make that big jump out on your own, you have to make sure you're landing as high as possible.

I mean, he's a total freak for his age. Physically and mentally, he's way ahead of where 99.9% of 18 or 19 year old keepers are.

Kelleher's development is the norm for good keepers - Bazunu is a total outlier amongst outliers. Hopefully it continues!

Spoiled for choice with Keepers at the moment. As others have said I'd assume that Travers is 2nd choice to Bazunu just on his club exposure alone.

Regarding Jonjo Kenny of everton would he be an option for Kenny to make an approach? Ok he's not first choice at Everton but seems to be backup to Coleman. A proper RB too. Can't have to many options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Hopefully Kelleher will play in the league cup quarter final tonight but I’d like to see him move on. I thought he was available to go on loan last summer?

Kelleher wouldn't necessarily have to stay in the UK. That being said if he is good enough he will play in the PL regularly. At his age a few decent season in the championship would help getting him a move to a PL club.

Don't think Doherty will be in a rush to leave unless Spurs are gonna cover his wages. Two and a half years left on a 65k a week contract.

Hard to blame him. Short career so why would he go. Also I don't think PL clubs will be queuing up to sign him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Doherty starts tonight against West Ham in EFL Cup

Kelleher starts for Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Scales starts in the SPL for Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Kelleher saves two pens in the shootout to help Liverpool advance. Didn't see how he played throughout the match or how he done on any of Leicester three goals.

Madison scored from about 35 yards and he was getting criticism for it . But he's being dubbed the hero for the pens and was mobbed at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That sounds about right from my viewing of the game.

Kelleher is kind of in limbo at the moment. Not quite good enough to displace Alisson, but too good for Liverpool to send him away. I am not sure what happens with him, but I think he needs an extended run of games somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Got a strong hand on 1st,on another day he'd have kept it out, 2nd only 2 yds out, do nothing about it 3rd an absolute worldie, straight over him, even in slow motion, it flew in, just couldn't react to it, 2 decent peno saves, plus 2or 3 really good saves during game which kept pool in it

• Advertisement

I wouldn't blame him for any of them to be honest. Maddison's was an absolute thunderbastard, so even though it was central, it was still very very hard to save. Vardy's shot was very well taken into the corner, and Kelleher actually did really well to get down to it, and get fingers on it, but just not quite enough.

Elsewhere, he made some other very good saves, and was excellent reading the space around the box, coming out to clear things up and starting things moving again etc. And of course two penalty saves.

As far as him being in limbo, only if one looks at now as being when he should be starting his full pro career out on his own two feet. I think we're looking at it from a Green perspective here for obvious reasons, but he's only just turned 23 - still super young for most keepers - and is still clearly developing. Like, the largest step forward he's made in his development so far was only in the last year or so - while staying put at Liverpool - so I'd be waiting for that at least begin to stagnate before getting too worried. I would like to see him loaned next season, but the most important decision of when he flies the coop shouldn't be made until he's really firmly ready, as that's gonna dictate the following 10+ years of his life and career. There's no harder position to move up the leagues and levels in than goalkeeper, so he's best off putting his best foot forward when the time comes.

Would be our starting keeper if he was playing regularly. If he was playing regularly I think Kenny brings him in as number one after coming back from his injury.

The position is Bazunu's until he loses it at this stage. If Gav gets injured Kelleher may get a shot of he is playing regular first team football at that stage but as of now I would be having Travers in.

Training is all well and good but cannot replicate the experience and pressure of playing regularly.

We could easily end up in a position where we have 3 top class goalkeepers.

Oh for me Bazunu is gonna be our number one for years to come. The lad is gonna be a star and probably City's number one when Ederson moves on in a few years.

He has grabbed his chance with Ireland with both hands and has played well though feel Kelleher would have been thrown in as number one in September if he was playing first team football. His loss is Bazunu's gain though.

Travers for me will be let down by his distribution. He was good in Bournemouth's recent game but his distribution can be poor. One instance in the first half tries to play a long pass to a player out on the touch line but drops the pass short because he probably feels it's going into touch otherwise and Bournemouth lose the ball. Bazunu is pinging that straight at you and Kelleher probably the same. Think the fact he's comfortable with the ball at his feet will have ahead of Travers in the pecking order.

Oh I think we're sorted for quite some time with the three lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Zack Steffen city number 2 might be the future number one. Bazanu has a few goalkeepers ahead of him at city but is only 19 so has plenty of time

Don't see Steffen as the future number one when Ederson leaves and think his role at City is similar to Kelleher at Liverpool of being a solid back up when needed. Thankfully for Bazunu that Steffen signed a new four year contract to allow him an extra couple of years out gaining experience before returning to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Ederson is 28. Bazunu’s long term future lays away from city I’d say reasonably confidently.

edit- they might be able to sell him for 20 million if he continues his upward trend and include a buy back clause for 30 million

Post edited by Did you smash it on

I don't know if I'd be of the opinion that Kelleher is to good for Liverpool to send away or sell. It's really impossible to judge how good he is until he gets a serious run of games under his belt. The odd one in a cup really isn't comprehensive enough tbh. No doubt he is good but will he be of PL quality? Impossible to say.

If he was older I'd somewhat agree but he's 19. Once Edersons current contract comes to an end he'll be turning 34 and not beyond the realms that he'll fancy a change of scenery before eventually returning to South America to finish his career possibly. Bazunu will still only be 24 at that stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

City's model includes developing players to sell them. It is really tough to breakthrough into their first team and one of the clubs strengths is creating pathways to a high level of football for players that can't get into their team but where they can sell them on.

They once got an 8 figure sum for Angus Gunn after loaning him back to Norwich for a while. Have got good money for what are good premier league players like Harrison, Douglas Luiz and Iheanacho and good money from clubs abroad for prospects.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement