Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He wasn’t making a point beyond saying British Lions for the 523rd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭blackcard

James Hume is very impressive in attack. How would he be rated as a defender?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭TRC10

Put in one very good shot this evening and forced a knock on when Saints were looking threatening.

Didn't put a foot wrong in Clermont last week either.

Honestly I think Hume must be, if not already, in the category of Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose. I think Farrell and Stockdale are considered a slight step off those (3 / 4) albeit at their best there isn't much to separate the lot of them.

But Hume has been exceptional of late and on a steep upward trends the last 18 months. Would like to see him play in a full strength Ireland team at this point to be honest, I think he could do real damage off quick ball in the 13 channel.

Hume is Ireland's 2nd best 13 behind Henshaw

People will say "oh he's only had a couple of good games" but that's not the case. He's been excellent for all of this season and last season and the tail end of the season before. He's played blinders against Leinster and Clermont.

I think he's absolute class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The question is how does Hume get into the Ireland team? As long as Ringrose, Aki and Henshaw are fit they are likely to get the nod ahead of him. He needs two injuries to get in. Maybe he gets a run against Italy and maybe a test against NZ in July, but the chances will be so few and far between that he will need to hit the ground running when it comes.

It's a good example of our new depth. I'd love to see Frawley and Hume link up together at some stage. Mad considering they are 4th and 5th choice centres, maybe 5th and 6th now Farrell is back from injury and he went well last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Hume will just have to keep grafting and wait for his opportunity to come and when it does he needs to take it with both hands. Right now even making the bench should be enough as he'll get enough time in each game to make impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't think we should be in a position where a player is waiting for injuries to get a chance. Rather have Farrell try out Hume on his own merits. Competition is good for players, no harm in keeping some pressure on the incumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hume will get his chance if he continues to play well. If Farrell has shown us anything, it's that he's not afraid to dump established guys.

However, Ringrose is also playing very well and Henshaw is undroppable on current form, so he may have to wait.

This

If he keeps shooting the lights out in big games until February, start him v Wales.

We need to give players incentive to perform, and you do that by rewarding exceptional form.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Him getting chances from the bench is very unlikely tho. It’s rare you see dedicated centre’s making the bench, where more versatility is generally favoured.

True but bar Earls there arent many other players that fit the bill, Would be easier if Carbery was fit for the 6N as he can always come on as a 15 as a worst case scenario.

Larmour has filled in at centre in the past from the bench also. He strikes me as a good fit for the 23 jersey after Earls. Certainly more so than Hume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Id personally have Hume ahead of Aki but still behind Ringrose and Henshaw.

If Ringose got injured I'd play him at 13... but I presume if henshaw got injured Aki would start at 12 if avaliable.

I think you're underrating Aki big time there.

He's our best 12 IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

He showed his passing ability in the Autumn. Nailed on at 12.

He's not nailed on, he's fighting for a jersey and it'll be a close call.

He started all our best performances in the calendar year, and has shown a brilliant passing dimension to his game, so I think if all are fit, it’s a fight he’s winning.

It’s so seldom they’re all fit at the same time tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’ve been saying this since before the Autumn Nations Cup but Hume is a far more similar player to Ringrose than either Aki or Henshaw are. And Aki and Henshaw are more similar to each other. So for me we should be looking at Aki and Henshaw as our 12s with Ringrose and Hume as our 13s. Farrell should be telling them what he needs to see from them and basically say “the position is open to whoever shows me they’re best suited to it”.

As it stands for me, it’s Aki-Ringrose. Aki showed some truly excellent elements to his game, particularly his passing as alooof mentioned. Henshaw hasn’t had much game time and looks from what little we’ve seen to be in good form, but he hasn’t shown the range in his game that Aki has. In no small part because he hasn’t had the time.

At 13 Ringrose has been playing well and performing really well for Ireland. He’s still the number 1 there. But he needs to be aware that Hume is a live option too so needs to keep that up. Hume needs to know that if he shows he’s a better option in training than Ringrose then he can expect to get selected.

I don't think there's any scenario in which the first choice XV doesn't contain Henshaw. As good as Aki and Ringrose are, he's a step up again IMO.

• Advertisement

Strong disagree from me.

Henshaw does a good job at 12 because he's a top quality player. But Aki plays that role more effectively IMO. It's no coincidence that our 2 best performances of the Farrell era have had Aki at 12.

Henshaw is a very good defender but Aki is more dominant in the collision, which is more suited to the 12 channel. Henshaw is strong in contact but his main strength is his defensive reads as we saw in the England game.

In attack, I also think you get way more from Henshaw in the wider channel where he has more time and space to utilise his footwork, kicking and distribution, with someone like Aki inside him to do the heavy lifting. Henshaw can do this role but IMO it's a waste of one of our best players. Aki is also more effective at carrying in heavy traffic and winning collisions. He's also got a really strong distribution game, his passing is underrated and his offloading is top tier.

So in short, I think Aki is our best 12 and Henshaw our best 13. Which makes the midfield selection fairly straightforward if everyone is fit. If Aki is injured then I would move Henshaw to 12 but if Aki is fit I'd always have him at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Aki and Henshaw as second fives, and Ringrose and Hume as centres makes sense if you're thinking about having an equal number of options for both positions. But it gets a bit more complicated when you consider that 12. Aki, 13. Henshaw is likely the premier pairing. They're the ones who made the British Lions touring party, after all. Is the squad imbalanced if you've got one 12 (Aki) and three 13s (Henshaw, Hume, Ringrose)? Henshaw constantly shuffling between 13 and 12 can't be ideal for his game either.

I agree with FFF, it’s Henshaw +1 for me. He’s been our best player since Farrell took charge. And his starts over that period have been split pretty evenly, 6 starts at 12 and 5 starts at 13.

Couple that with Aki starting at 12 in our best performances under Farrell this year and I think that’s our current starting combo. Tho Ringrose’s return to form this season is has been great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Henshaw is definitely nailed on. He always performs excellently whether that’s at 12 or 13. Arguably the best centre in the world rugby?!

As I was reading OP’s post I was thinking “best in the NH anyway’s” to myself. Maybe Fickou on his day?

Those 5 would be the top 5 in the world for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Henshaws best games have been when Aki is partnered with him.

I actually forgot about the French for some reason.

You'd have to have Fickou and Vakatawa up there anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Ben Healy and Jack Carty both played well this weekend. Both should be involved but especially Carty, he must be the most durable 10 in world rugby in a Country which produces the least durable.

Advertisement