Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone downloaded massive amounts of data, like 50TB, in 1 month with their FTTH connection

Options
  • 16-12-2021 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I'm just curious if there are any issues doing that. My NAS has been backing up to the cloud for years and recently I've been thinking about wiping it to reconfigure the volumes and restoring from the cloud but that would mean downloading about 50TB. Not a big deal at 1Gbps but works ISPs have an issue with that or have data caps truly gone?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I think my max was 15TB in 1 month on my old VM (500mb) connection. Regularly 5TB+ now on my SIRO connection with airwire with no issues what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Unless not enforced or has changed https://www.moneyguideireland.com/limits-unlimited-broadband-data.html

Eir – Say that all new Fibre broadband packages come with fully unlimited data allowances. However – on broadband packages set up before July 2018 there is a fair usage policy of 1TB (1,000GB) per month. Eir say that usage in excess if this is subject to a charge of €2.50 for every 10 GB up to a maximum of €100 per month (values inclusive of VAT).

Would not like to see bill after 50TB (terabyte, its not typo?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Dows the piece you quote not say "up to a maximum of €100"?

OP, what sort of data is this that there is 50TB worth? Does it all need to be restored? Does it all need to be restored in one go (i.e - could you download parts of it over several months)?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭JamBur

i had to restore 9-10TB of NAS before on a home setup. Provider was Digiweb, I rang them beforehand. There was no issues. This was about 7 or 8 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Who is your backup provider? Backblaze for example has been sh1t slow for me before, even with gigabit you might only get 200Mb down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Smaller providers don't seem to have an issue once you can explain it. Bigger ones have the FUP script

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Usually when it is that much data it’s easier/better to just get the cloud service to send you the disks by post, assuming this is important data.

if it’s just ripped movies you never watch then not sure it’s worth a week downloading just to get back to the same point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

50TB would be an expensive bill for disks though. 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

True, think it was about 150 per 4TB, but when you send the drive back they refund you.

But yes that would be a “deposit” of nearly 2k for 50TB, which is a bit steep

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

I could definitely span it over a few months. Decided to hold off for now on messing with the NAS. Thanks all for your input

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

If it is true and they enforce it against you it is only about €100 extra on a top of your bill. Which is nothing for 50TB of traffic compare to other suggestions ( disk sending etc). Some small ISP probably cut you off for good for this kind of traffic.

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

hey, don't shoot the messenger. :D

One might realize that this is 4.5year worth of FUP allowance. Even a 100 on top of standard bill would be easy getaway. I guess Eir would not be impressed.

Now, whether one choose to chance overcharge and/or service termination/suspension(if/were applicable) is up to user. As a customer, one have agreed to every line in every small print and Eir have their one hand in your pocket(DD) and other on "kill" switch.

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

Advertisement