Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 22 Abu Dhabi GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The decision to only clear the cars between max and Lewis wasn't about getting the green flag. That decision was very unusual and it was all about the drama.

I'm happy with the outcome as I was supporting Max, but I think you need to acknowledge that the decision to only clear the cars between max and Lewis was all about showbiz. If it was all about getting the race underway and finishing under green flag, then not clearing any cars would have been simpler and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Maybe, maybe not. But when other drivers have spent weeks saying they don't want to get involved in the title race, what difference does it make. Lando was even speaking about being scared to be so close to the front after Quali on the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭XsApollo

So there are no rules then basically?

whatever the race director says is what happens.

it was a sh*tshow relying on pitlane drama , Toto crying and the drama of not knowing what the race director is gonna do to make it exciting.

anything bar the racing itself.

What's the other driver's attitude got to do with anything?

If it was just about getting back to green flag, as you said it was, then why did they only clear the cars between max and Lewis?

It was a combination of serendipitous crash and the need for safety car, manufactured drama AND racing. I don't think it was about "anything bar the racing itself".

There are rules and procedures. It turns out the race director can override the rules if they want to. I certainly didn't know that and I think most others didn't know that either. It almost never comes up. But it came up in this instance and it resulted in the most dramatic finish to the season finale in decades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The last lap of the race was one of the most exciting sporting moments of all time, it will be remembered for decades.

That’s a bit of a stretch ,

“sporting moments of all time”

maybe

“manufactured sporting moments of all time”

It was a greats sports event. It had an element of manufacturing in it but I'm fine with how it worked out. Once the safety car was needed there were no options that wouldn't have amounted to manufactured drama, except for finishing the race under the safety car which would have been an intervention in itself.

Well the safety car would have been an intervention within the rules, I just can’t get my head around the race director making stuff up.

maybe they will learn something from it .

I'd say they learned it was the most exciting finale in years and it got more international coverage than any finale in decades.

It was an extraordinary set of circumstances. I doubt they'll be trying to manufacture these scenarios from nothing. They just took advantage of the situation that arose. I doubt there's a lot more to learn from it than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Overall it's Toto's fault. He could have told bottas at the restart to park the car in the middle of the track. Safety car cannot end, Lewis is champion. Multi 21 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭glen123

Schumacher parked his car in Monaco during qualifying. That didn't end well at all for him. They can check telemetry to see what really happened to the car so just stopping for no reason isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

What if Bottas was to stop the car cause of a crippling migraine and he couldnt go on?

Surely there’s nothing that could be done in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Will ya just stop, Max is champion and absolutely fully deserved. End of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

It's perfectly normal for lapped cars to be let past (in fact it would be completely unprecedented if they weren't)

It's perfectly normal for the safety car to be called in once the track is clear.

Everybody fully expected these two things to happen once the crash occurred, this is why Red Bull pitted immediately and Hamilton was so distraught on the radio.

The only abnormal thing was the strange delay in letting the lapped cars past.

Latifi crashed on lap 53. The car was clear on lap 55 and on lap 56 the last of the marshalls who were clearing up some off track debris returned behind the barriers. Lapped cars don't immediately get up to racing speed when they are let past the safety car, they are told to maintain an appropriate speed. It is safe for them to be allowed past once the blockage is clear, even if there are some marshalls cleaning up the last of the debris, as this would be treated like a VSC. This is why on lap 55 Lewis Hamilton's race engineer got on the radio and told him the lapped cars are about to be let past, as he was expecting normal procedure to be followed. This is why Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso, two experienced world champions with no affiliation to either Mercedes or Red Bull, both got on the radio to their teams asking why lapped cars weren't being allowed past like they normally are.

When the FIA announced out of the blue that they were taking the unprecedented step of not allowing lapped cars to pass Alonso (who was one of the lapped cars and is entirely unaffiliated to the two teams fighting for the title) literally laughed upon hearing the announcement and said they're keeping Max behind him when he should be in front of him.

Who knows what the reason was for that initial plan to go against all precedent and not allow lapped cars to pass. It was safe when the car was clear on lap 55 and multiple drivers were on the radio wondering why it wasn't happening, then it was even more safe on lap 56 when the marshalls had all left the run off area entirely. However, they didn't do this, until they eventually changed their minds and decided to apply the normal rules on lap 57 and let the lapped cars through. This meant that they had to compress things somewhat and have less of a gap between letting the lapped cars through and pulling the safety car in than they normally would, but this ultimately had zero impact on the outcome.

Not allowing the lapped cars past would have gone against all precedent. Not finishing the race under green flags when it's a 58 lap race and the blockage is completely clear on lap 56 would have gone against basic common sense in addition to going against the regulations that state that the race will be started when the clerk of the course deems the track safe. It would also have gone against a previous agreement among all teams that ending under a green flag should always be the priority call if it is safe to do so.

The only minor hiccup was the delay in letting the lapped cars through, but if they'd been allowed through a lap earlier when they should have been it would have had zero impact. A lot of the controversy on Sky was really just manufactured because their man lost. Safety cars are a part of F1. When a car crashes and stops on the racing line you absolutely expect a safety car, you expect the backmarkers to be cleared like normal, and you expect a return to racing if the incident is entirely clear two laps before the end of the race. Red Bull expected all of this, made the correct tactical choices, and Max executed perfectly with a superb overtake when the race restarted. It's as simple as that.

Max got lucky that Latifi crashed when he did certainly. It gave him an opportunity to gain 7 points (but only if he and the team executed on it perfectly, which they did). Lewis has gained more points than that from previous similar situations this season and if you managed to come up with some system that eliminated all possible advantages or disadvantages from safety cars and red flags and found a way to retroactively apply it across the whole season, Max would still be champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Well said,

I wonder how the non British motorsport commentators press have been reacting? I think it’s really a mainly British upset.

I’d say if it was Nico Rosberg in the Mercedes the Brits wouldn’t be a fraction as apoplectic as they are .

Also I’m a former racer and a veteran of watching F1 for approaching 50 years , my point of almost throwing in the towel as a modern F1 fan, was when Hamilton didn’t get a full race ban and points on his licence after knowingly nearly killing Verstappen at Stowe corner in silverstone. This was the real let down this year, particularly as a neutral. If that incident hadn’t have happened at his home race the penalty would have been very different.

On Abu Dabi, people seem to forget that Max still had a lot to do from behind, against the Faster Merc, with that experienced driver ahead , in the narrowest of windows and under severe scrutiny,.

I for one was glad to see it unfold old style on track ! Notwithstanding Max nearly binning it coming onto the finishing straight within sight of the flag !!! Just like the Saudi qualifying mistake.

There are rules and they were followed. The race director used his discretion to get the last lap under green flag, something which all teams agreed beforehand would be preferable.

The race director wouldn't have such a decision to make if Latifi didn't bin it

MAYBE time. Maybe there was a need to make the safety car in decision by the time it reaches a certain point on the track otherwise the race finishes under SC and that was not what the teams wanted by all accounts.

Other drivers have made statements about not wanting to get involved in the championship battle. So maybe that played a part in the decision that. Who knows

has anyone seen the video from Toto Wolff. What a load of nonsense. Toto mentions wanting the Abu Dhabi GP result reinstated from Lap 57 in the interest of sporting fairness. So a decision made by the race director within the rules should be scrapped because Merc didnt win. Lewis is disillusioned and feels betrayed.

I really hope they get it badly wrong next season with the new regs

Just answer me these 2 questions:

Is it normal to only unlap certain cars and not others?

Is it normal to bring in the safety car on the same lap that the cars unlap themselves?

• Advertisement

Well of they followed the rules (which you said you think they did) then the safety car would have come in the lap after they gave the order to unlap cars. But they broke those rules by bringing in the safety car on the same lap.

If they wanted to get the race underway as quickly as possible and finish on the green flag then they would have unlapped no cars and brought the safety car in and had one lap of racing.

If they wanted maximum showbiz drama, then they would take the unorthodox step of only unlapung the cars between max and Lewis, and then break the rule to bring in the safety car on the same lap. Which of these options did they choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭glen123

Considering the physical demands of F1, suddenly the F1 driver unable to bring his car to the pits because of a headache? With no previous health complaints during the course of the race? This will be enough for this to be decided against Merc considering the rest of the circumstances.

Ah, if they tried to so blatantly game the system then it would cause ructions. Its not just a sport or just a business or just an entertainment industry. It's a mix of all 3 elememts and it has to be kept in balance. Doing something shady like that might be fine in business and might be entertaining, but it would make a mockery of the sport element.

The other teams wouldn't stand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Lewis a 10 place grid penalty in Bahrein for not showing up at the F1 gala .... How hilarious would that be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

I agree it was stupid for them not to show up ... Breaking the rules have consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

He is warming the tyres, zigzag zigzag loosing control. Stalled, game over.

To be fair, an off track punishment would be a more appropriate punishment for an action taken off the track like this.

• Advertisement

The regs give the race director discretion to improvise or make judgement calls. Which he did, to get the race to finish under green flag conditions, which by all accounts was the preference agreed by everyone earlier in the week. So no, there was no rules broken.

So no, there was no rules broken. The whining from Susie and Toto is ridiculous. They talk about sporting fairness and they are tone deaf Like Hamilton who was whinging about the red flag in Jeddah completely ignoring how much he had benefitted from them earlier in the season. Where is the cries for sporting fairness there?

If Max stayed out and Hamilton pitted on Lap 53, and the race finished under SC then Merc would be screaming at the RD looking for a red flag and a count back to Lap 53.

Looking at the SC lights going out, was T9 I think which gave those 4/5 cars half a lap to get clear for the green flag. Was there time to allow all lapped cars pass and bring the SC car in?

Advertisement