Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The folks in Revenue will be wise to any/all shenannigans that lads will have tried since forever. I'd be inclined to arrive at a trade value, using online valuation sites such as Parkers, Whatcar, Autotrader, AA etc. and try and agree a value wth Revenue on that basis. Right now, used cars are making silly money though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

What's the procedure for someone living in UK, returning home to live here

They'll be bring their car with them that they have 6 or 7 months

What are they liable for and how do they go about customs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Look up transfer of residency and VRT exemption on the revenue website. If they meet the criteria for VRT exemption then they won't have to pay any customs taxes either but they won't be able to sell the car for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 total07

Hi I’m wondering can anyone provide info on this for me…. looking at a Genuine untouched 2003 VW Golf GTI it’s in serious condition 82k miles full 18 stamped VW history so it’s a little expensive but my question is regardless what I pay for the car on the invoice say £4500 which is roughly €5300. When I bring this car in do I pay VAT and Customs on the OMSP on the revenue site which is €2000 or do I pay the VAT and Customs on sale price from UK. VRT and Nox coming in at €890 based on the OMSP of €2000. Is it VAT and Customs on €2000 then and not what I paid for it..? Thanks in advance….

VAT and Import Duty are based off of the invoice price - what you paid for it.

VRT and Nox are based off of the OMSP. The OMSP is what Revenue value the car at here and nothing to do with what you actually paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 total07

Thanks @bazz26 And if I bought private how does that work if there’s no invoice??

You need an invoice from the seller, private or retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tom573

I'm looking to import a 2017 BMW 320d from the U.K. in February, I think I've figured out all of the charges etc but it would be greatly appreciated if somebody could just look over it for me.

Purchase Price = £9,650 / €11,291 (From a dealership, excluding currency exchange fees)

VRT+NOx = €3545 (According to Revenue calculator)

Cost of transport = €500 (Just a round number for this calculation)

Import Duty = €1,179 (10% of transport+purchase price)

Total cost so far = €16,515

What I can't seem to wrap my head around is the VAT element. A PDF from the revenue website says the there is no VAT element to be paid in Ireland for private buyers purchasing a "used means of transport" (aka more than 6 months old and travelled more than either 6 or 8 thousand km, can't remember which).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah theres no VAT if your buying a car in Ireland. But your importing goods from outside the EU so therefore there is VAT.

VAT + customs duty would be around €4,150

Post edited by User1998 on

Here's my calculation:

(((Purchase price + transport+customs clearance)*1.10))*1.23+vrt/nox

(((11,291+500+1)*1.10)*1.23)+3545 =19,500

Add for Customs clearance (1 in above calc)

VRT/nox will be different when you import it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Considering purchasing an MB E400d for around £40k next year.

Just seeing if sourcing from UK might make financial sense based scarcity of them in Ireland and NI.

Would need to be ex Vat to make viable I think.

Is it difficult to find main dealers that will take care of the vat back for you? I.e they will sell to me minus the vat and claim the 20% back themselves from UK revenue?

If so, it is difficult to claim back myself? And what would I check/ask to be 100% sure I’ll be able to claim it back?

Also, is it true that you can avoid the 10% import duty if the car is less than three years old?

Using this to search for cars. Mentions owners as “ex-private owner”, “ex mbuk employee”, “ex-lease” and think may have seen “ex-demo” too.

Would ex-lease, ex-mbuk and ex-demo all be possible to claim vat back on?

Thanks

How does the VAT work now?

Let's say I'm a Irish dealership, and I'm going to import a car and sell it on the Irish market for a markup,

I purchase the car in the UK from a dealership, I supposedly pay 23% VAT on the invoice price to Irish revenue, pay 10% import duty, pay the VRT/NOx charges, the cost of transport and let's say that total comes to 25,000euros all in, and I want to sell that car for 30,000euros, is their still VAT due on that sale from me (the dealership) to the customer? (I would presume so). But as an Irish business, can I not claim back that 23% VAT on the car I paid upon import?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

Pay 23% VAT on import

Pay 23% VAT on sales price

Reclaim 23% VAT on import

Anyone have any experience trying to calculate VRT due on car from UK that’s not listed on drop down option on revunues vrt calculator?

They point to this document to help, but unsure of getting the prices and calculating ratios

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/documents/vrt/form-vrt-estimate.pdf

Looking at “MB E400d 4Matic prem+ coupe.”191 (19) reg selling for around £40k.

VRT calculator does have “MB E400d 4Matic prem+ saloon” with VRT around 14k. Unsure if they would treat the coupe similarity when calculating VRT.

If the value is the same then I'd assume the VRT would be the same. If not, you can check the percentage of the value and then use that to calculate the VRT for the coupe.

Also, you said on your previous post "Would need to be ex Vat to make viable I think." What did you mean by this? Can U.K. dealers sell cars to Irish businesses without the Irish business having to pay the VAT? I know Irish businesses can't reclaim UK vat

Apparently VAT qualifying cars can be bought minus the 20% UK vat if the car is been exported from UK…doesn’t have to be exported to a business.

The dealer should simply charge you the price minus 20%.

See this thread where @Casati gave me good info:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DublinWexican

Is there VRT to be paid on Hybrid or Electric cars?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

Surely theres no vrt on nissan leafs or import duty either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Just put a Leaf into ROS VRT calculator - no VRT

Will most definitely have VAT and import duty. EVs are goods too

Post 2013 Leafs were built in Sunderland, UK, so the 10% Customs Duty might not apply. VAT would be chargeable unless in NI before 31.12.2020.

Even at that from speaking to someone in the car industry in the UK a certain percentage of the car made in the UK needs to be UK built too?

Does anyone have experience of bringing a civic, leaf , mini , etc in paying the vrt, vat but not the import duty ? Would it be beyond the expectations that revenue might have a list of cars exempt from import duty because they are UK made .....is it over 50 per cent UK parts needed in manufacture?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes I believe the parts have to be totted up and a certain portion UK made to meet that requirement.

There appears to be a duty exemption for cars that originally came from or were manufacturers in Eu returning to eu within 3 years.

If that is the car, it would appear that practically all 0 to 3 year old cars would be duty exempt as they would either qualify as UK manufacturered or be Eu manufactured returning to Eu.

Unless they are Japanese/ korean etc

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

Hi, I am looking at a 2015 dmax in the Uk, £15800 ÷ vat, I am not vat registered, was wondering has anyone imported a crewcab from the uk since Brexit, looking for advise from someone that has actually done so, as there are a lot of different stories around about what has be paid, what sort of costs are involved since brexit ? Nox, 10% customs, vat, does vat have to be paid both sides ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya. I had German cars in my head mostly together with their associated brands which appear to be built in varying countries around the Eu but of course you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

I was talking to a dealer recently in NI about purchasing a car. I was told if the car was registered in Northern Ireland before the 31st January 2021, and I decided to buy this car - VAT is not applicable. The additional cost to the advertised price is solely VRT and NOX, nothing else. Is this true?

• Advertisement

Yes. Basically. Need decent proof the car was on NI per Jan 1, 2021

Advertisement