Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

People currently need to get around by car because they've no alternative and that's where the problem lies. They've been forced into the car by successive failures ar local and national levels of government that have left them no alternative. People are stressed because they've busy lives and they're spending far too much of it sitting in traffic doing nothing. But cars take up a huge amount of space (in relation to the number of people they carry) and it's just not possible to road build our way out of that in a urban area. That's the problem here. It might help things for a year or two but then we'll end up right back in the same gridlock. So we're actually making stressed people's lives more stressed and will continue this problem far into the future.

I've done it all in terms of commuting in this city and I can tell you the least stressed I am after a days work is when I use the bus. You just hop on and it does the rest. Driving home in traffic is soul destroying. Sitting there watching your life pass you by. I don't know how people do it every day. I'm one of the very lucky ones that live and work on busy bus routes and don't have to start work at a certain time. It's still not easy because they can be stuck in traffic with everyone else. Cycling is the fastest option but your taking your life in your hands out there mixing with traffic and I can't count the number of drivers who feel like they need to try and hit me with their car to prove some point. I still pick those two though because it beats wasting your life sitting staring at taillights.

We're on the same page that things need to be done to improve the lives of the people of Galway. We just differ on what we think will work. I was all for the road being built until I looked into things a bit more and realized it's just a band aid that'll probably make things worse long term

I was all for the road being built until I looked into things a bit more and realized it's just a band aid that'll probably make things worse long term

100% this.

Even in this thread, if you go back to the 2012/2015 period, I have hundreds of posts arguing for the road.

Only after educating myself have I turned against it.

You don't even have to look beyond County Galways borders to see spending hundreds of millions on roads has no long-term positive impacts on congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TnxM17

So in answer to my question you cannot show who "needs" to get around by car.

As pointed out by Xckjoo, people get around by car as there is no viable alternative.

However, you are correct that as part of any solution new roads are required, but the current planned road is not the solution to the city's problem.

Galway City is exhibit A of how transitioning an area (and indeed a country) with a historically low population density, with a majority of the population living in swathes of rural, scattered countryside, with an agrarian, underdeveloped economy can struggle to embrace/accept the complete lifestyle change and modal shift in mentality that is necessary if one lives in a modern city.

Galway epitomises everything from a culture of one-off housing, to car dependancy, to woeful public transport, to an obsession with land ownership, to sprawling suburbia vs the medium density viability and sustainable, vibrant urban living we encounter in Europe.

Galway, and Ireland, really need to grow up and accept that we have made an utter hames of urbanisation since the 60s, stop repeating those mistakes and embark on a new path. Why are there no park and ride plazas being built now, rather than constantly talking about these things? This bypass/ring road, whatever you want to call it may never happen. One thing that's certain, it won't happen for several years. Get a grip and start providing alternatives now rather than this endless bitching from both sides.

I don't live in Galway and I'm glad, because all people talk about there is the traffic, which they mysteriously have nothing to do with even though they drive everywhere, while nobody even fathoms alternatives such as car pooling, more buses to local towns or demanding more trains to Athenry, for example. If you're stuck in traffic, you are the traffic.

Deep down, very few people I know in Galway accept the changes they themselves have to embrace to make the city work. Everyone wants their one off monstrosity or semi detached mansion in a sprawling housing estate and 2 cars because that's what their siblings have in Tuam, Connemara, Ballygar, Castlebar, Roscommon, Longford, Ennis etc. Newsflash: you live in a city. You can't live a rural or small town lifestyle in a city. That's the compromise one takes in exchange for having public services, employment and a vibrant social life on your doorstep.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In what way do you believe that this road will (despite the evidence proving otherwise) reduce congestion and allow for progress for people commuting into Galway city?

• Advertisement

I live approximately 80 minutes from Galway city and I'm 2 hours from Dublin...

Your less than useful contribution has been noted.

Good urban planning is not a "woke experiment", it's called having a degree of cop-on, insuring cities can actually function as intended. Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Montreal, New York, Melbourne, Vienna are some of many good examples, and all predate the Woke movement by decades. Perhaps if you read more and travelled a little, rather than restricting yourself to your little bubble, you'd know this. By all means, carry on with the dog-and-stick approach to planning that has led Galway to the sorry state it's in today. That'll show those wokesters. 👍🏽🥴

Ah yes, the classic exceptionalism clause. Somehow the rules of urban planning don't apply to Galway, a city of only 80,000, therefore the law of divil may care applies.

Ourense in Galicia, Newcastle or Nantes are comparable to Galway and still get it right. What makes Galway so different?

You're clueless. Read more and do some travelling because your mentality is why Galway and urbanisation in Ireland generally is such a complete cod.

Ah yes. We're all special in Galway. Sure we can't be compared to regular people in the rest of the world.

We have 4 river crossings in the city. All heavily used. There's another one coming too and I don't mean the ring road.

As above, there are 4 crossings of the River Corrib in Galway. Please read more, explore more, broaden your mindset and, most importantly, know your facts before mouthing off anymore meandering buinneach.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You don't live in Galway. I'm glad you said that that as your rant can be largely ignored. It's like a Facebook comments rant, littered with complete generalisations and misinformation.

• Advertisement

I don't live in Galway for a reason. It's dysfunctional and I have no desire to waste my life in a dysfunctional city whose inhabitants can't even accept what they need to do to make it a half decent place to live in. There's a reason why so many leave after college and never return. There are plenty of jobs in Galway but nobody wants to return there, having lived in normal cities that actually operate functionally. Try convincing those who've left to London, Sydney and Europe or even Dublin to return to Galway. The only reason people return is because they want to be close to their family. There is absolutely nothing else to draw them back only a property market on steroids and traffic.

Galwegians have a massive chip on their shoulder when it comes to accepting criticism. It's fine for ye to complain about the place but dare any outsider say anything. Here's the truth: Your beloved bypass will distribute cars for a few years and then it'll become the M50. You're all up in a heap about bridges. There is no railway bridge crossing of the Corrib either. Where's the hysteria over that? Time ye grew a pair, wise up to your problems and deal with them rather than shutting down anybody who breaks your very fragile ego.

More ranting.

It seems you are the one with the chip on the shoulder. Amusingly, you probably cant even see it 😁

Nah, it's really amusing to see the people who supposedly live in, work in and apparently love Galway doing their damndest to make the city uninhabitable. Sad, obviously because there's so much potential being wasted, but amusing nonetheless that such blind ignorance and stupidity will actually form the basis of public policy there for years to come.

You're actually claiming that the people who want public transport, who want cycle lanes, who want a functioning bus service, who want medium to high density urban planning, who want an end to urban sprawl are to blame for the situation Galway is in today, where none of those things exist?

I'm not sure if that counts as a spectacular form of gaslighting, an alternative re-engineering of history or a combination of both.

Spare me this insular crap about Galway's "unique geographical location". It's a seaside city of 80,000 with a river, and a lake some 6 kms to the north. There's nothing unique about that. There's no reason why it doesn't have bus lanes, cycle lanes and a dense urban environment except that it was deliberate policy over nearly 50 years to ignore that in favour of car dependancy, urban sprawl and utter dysfunction. You want to prolong that by distributing cars around the city without addressing things that should be done now such as ending urban sprawl, building park and ride facilities and making the best use of existing space. The bypass is not going to solve the fundamental problem that too many people are driving to Galway in the first place. It won't solve the traffic in Claregalway, Headford and South Connemara and it won't solve traffic in Galway when it eventually morphs into the M50.

I never once said I was opposed to a data centre in Athenry. In fact, I haven't said a thing about it. You're spoofing. BTW, if you want an intelligent debate, it would be really helpful in your case to ensure your spelling is accurate because that spiel is littered with inaccuracies. It also confirms my sense that you indulge in tabloids rather than analysis, explaining your irrelevant invocations such as "woke, D4, high horse" etc. In other words, you're rather childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Galway has an 80k population forecast to increase to 135k by 2040. That implies a certain desirability. Graduates leave as there's no way a student body of 24k (NUIG, GMIT) can all later be employed locally. See also Maynooth, Oxford, Cambridge, Salamanca, Bologna where the undergraduates are a disproportionate number of the local populace.

Major multinationals with bases or factories there ensures plenty of employment as does the second highest per capita tourist numbers in the country (after Killarney). There's a reason the city (end environs) has been for decades a great draw for artists and its cultural output (given its size) is unsurpassed in the country. It has its faults but hey, the people are welcoming and they'd probably even extend a hand to you.

He's constantly ranting about Galway. Chip on the Shoulder or jealousy. You'll go around in circles.

Possibly his missus found a better option there and he can't let it go.

I don't see the point of criticising other cities or regions myself. Many I'd not want to live in but all have got some good stuff going for them.

• Advertisement

Exactly. He's had some bad experience with something or someone in Galway. It's a weird obsession.

Anyway, back to roads..

All ye faceless clowns attempting to frame my constructive criticism of Galway as some form of bizarre begrudgery against the city are only codding yourselves and completely missing the point, but this is not surprising since your fragile tribalism is so evident. I would love if Galway could become a disireable place to live in because it has so much potential, but it currently is anything but that. Instead of addressing the many systemic problems detracting people from Galway, ye engage in pathetic attempts to make out I'm somehow sour that Galway doesn't want me. Laughable stuff.

Fyi, I'm gay and the gay scene in Galway is miniscule. Why is it miniscule? Because gay people like to live in cities with a vibrant city centre, with efficient public transport, with easy access to services, with dense urban environments. Galway doesn't have any of those things, so the overwhelming number of gay people leave shortly after graduating, never to return.

Ye can mock away while wasting your lives sitting in traffic and voting for the same people who led ye to the mess Galway is in today. By all means, fire ahead while young people like me vote with our feet. There are very simple things that could be done within 2 years max to alleviate the fundamental problem that no amount of new roads will fix: too many cars are driving to Galway in the first place. Park and Ride facilities could be developed in all the major towns and villages in the hinterland leading to the city centre and Parkmore. Each bus would take 50-60 cars off the roads into and within Galway. Nope, wait for a white elephant bypass that will just disperse these cars around but they'll still be there.

This level of public policy amateurism is embarrassing, which you're exacerbating by thinking your failed attempts at digital one-upmanship are a good come back. The joke is on you lot sustaining the myth of car dependancy and deluding yourselves that a €600 million bypass will solve your traffic woes forever. It won't.

Enjoy wasting your lives away bitching about the traffic that you yourselves are sitting in, while still thinking you've got one up on anyone who bursts your fragile myths.

The oldest continuous Gay Pride march in the country, a thriving gay cultural and artistic scene but one that is not insular. Check out the club/burlesque/drag nights at the Roisin Dubh, Bierhaus, Galway Comedy Festival in Eyre Sq, Aras na nGael, etc. And City Council representation via three gay councillors. Loud and proud LGBT community here dude so unsure what you're basing your skewed and inaccurate info on.

Methinks an angry lad, but one with very sparse local knowledge.

You just can't take any kind of constructive criticism, can you? I'm entitled to my opinions and they're based on lived experience, not perception.

Yes, there is a gay scene in Galway. I'm very familiar with it, thanks very much. It's minimal and the number of gay people in Galway is minimal. I'm basing that off lived reality and the fact I've lived in cities that have way more to offer for LGBTQ people purely in terms of numbers and the fact they provide the kind of urban environment conducive to a lively gay culture: a dense urban core, mass public transit, affordable housing and a lively public realm free of traffic.

It's really not my problem that those in public policy, politicians and all you champions of a car dependant culture can't see past your very narrow lived reality and a mentality that ends a few miles from where you live. Unfortunately though, we all bear the brunt of this mindset because young people eventually become disillusioned and emigrate, while the same dinosaurs who have led us to this point perpetuate existing problems indefinitely.

Anecdotal rather than factual input dude, of little use. Factual info on political representation, cultural nights and activities pay a lie to your vague ramblings.

When some amadán decided to make a smart, irrelevant comment about me having an imaginary missus who left me to move to Galway (absolutely ridiculous fairytale), that's when it became relevant.

The Greens are about 18 months in government. I'm not in the Greens and disagree with a lot of their policies. However, the housing crisis started 5 years ago and the crisis in affordable and social housing dates back to decisions taken in the 90s. Your constant attempts to gaslight anyone who advocates for an alternative to the ring road are fooling nobody. FFG have ruled this country for 100 years. Galway's car dependent culture are not the product of the under 30s or the Greens. They're the product of amateurs in planning and brown envelopes trying to imitate rural life in an urban environment. You and your ilk are why Galway and this country is screwing the youth and encouraging emigration, at a time of record employment.

Not once have you addressed the core problem I highlighted which is that too many cars are driving into Galway. You just ignore easy solutions like park and ride with mindless crap about being woke. It's not woke. It's how normal cities function but you have 0 lived experience of this.

You just blather on this thread with lies and nonsense, such as lying that I commented against the Athenry data centre.

Whether or not you get your bypass, it won't take cars out of Galway. Enjoy it because it probably gives meaning to your life to waste it in a car.

No there is 4 crossings. They're used constantly all day every day. You just don't count them because they don't fit your internal narrative. And they're building another one which you probably still won't count cause it's not what you think it should be.

How about you provide examples of where they've built a ring road for a city with a similar layout instead of expecting the rest of us to jump through your hoops for ya? You make the claim so back it up.

And I'd also like you to back up the claim that there's 128k people living West of the Corrib cause that sounds like another thing you pulled out of your ass

Now I'm being lectured on my lived experience of Galway's gay scene. Nope, you don't get to superimpose your biases on my experience and that of anyone who's like me to sustain your PR campaign for Galway. I live the reality of what it's like to be gay in the West, you don't. Just because there's a very small pride parade, one gay bar, a few elected openly LGBTQ reps and societal acceptance does not mean that Galway is a great place for gay people to live in. It isn't if you're single and over 23 because there are **** all *openly* gay people there. It's that simple.

All those gay events you mentioned wouldn't exist if it weren't for students. If you're a gay student in Galway, yes it's a decent place to be. If you're in your 20s or older, no it's actually fairly abysmal tbh because the numbers simply aren't there. If you want a lifestyle that involves sifting through hundreds of blank profiles of closeted married men on Grindr, Galway (and the West by extension) is the place for you.

I have gay friends who live there and I've been there dozens of times myself. They/we head to Dublin every 2nd weekend or so for a gay life. You aren't part of this reality, so you haven't a clue.

Stick to the topic. What's wrong with providing park and ride facilities now and laying on extra trains now, rather than waiting X years for a bypass that may or may not ever be built?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Oldest continuous Gay Pride March in Ireland.

Biggest per capita Gay Pride March in Ireland. Connected to a ten day long LGBT festival.

High local political representation for LGBT activists.

LGBT festivals and cultural evenings in several venues across the city.

Bring me some facts man, and then I’ll take you seriously.

In terms of public transport, park and ride, cycle paths and preventing the Ring Road I’m fully on agreement with you. An ecological and environmental disaster for the city which will only further intensify traffic problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement