Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Manager Age Experience Trophies Won

Andy Myler 46 3 0

Damien Duff 42 0 0

Keith Long 48 10 0

Kevin Doherty 41 2 0

Liam Buckley 61 24 4

Ollie Horgan 53 8 0

Ruaidhri Higgins 37 1 0

Stephen Bradley 37 6 3

Stephen O'Donnell 35 2 1

Tim Clancy 37 4 0

Trophies counted are the Premier Division and FAI Cup. Bucko has won 2 League Cups, a LSC and a President's Cup if anyone wants to add them on, and Clancy has won the first division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It really is the off season..... Only 3 months to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Confirmed ? Neat bit of bus8ness from Sligo to get his signature on a new contract before that happened. Rumours are that Darragh Burns is also Scotland bound. Big blow for Pats if it happens, but again, he is under contract, so a small consolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Confirmed ? Neat bit of bus8ness from Sligo to get his signature on a new contract before that happened.

Kenny was under contract for another season and Daniel McDonnell is reporting his new one has a release clause of €150k. Right now it's looking more like a massive mistake than a neat bit of business.

The likes of Hibs aren't going to be paying huge add-ons like Man City did with Bazunu. If we're lucky we might get a €150k base fee, €150k total add-ons and a €200k sell-on fee. That is if everything goes perfectly for him at Hibs (if he joins, he's only over there visiting). Hibs never get massive transfer fees so 20% of whatever he'd be sold for will not be much more than €200k.

Unless there is more to the story we should have kept him on his one year deal, retained negotiating power and the option to just say no and keep him for the season. He'd score 15+ goals next season, could be key to helping us qualify for Europe again and could be key in helping us advance a round in July. There is far more value in that than there is in selling him for €150k now.

We've got no strikers under contract apart from him. We are we going to find a goalscorer now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Well, I stand corrected ☺️ I thought he had been out of contract at the end of this year. I hear what you’re saying about keeping him, but then he could have walked for nothing at the end of next season. Maybe they should have made the release clause bigger, but then they risk him not signing. It’s really difficult for clubs here. Pats will be in a similar situation with Darragh Burns. Sadly our clubs are never in a strong bargaining position .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is all about risk and reward. If they do not take the risk (long contracts and good wages) they don't get the rewards (high fees). Don't blame the clubs really though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Conr Kane gone to Shels.

Whilst he had a mediocre season gone by, I'm sorry that he is gone given how long he has been at Drogheda.

I expect that he might be on a better deal at Shels so good luck to him.

Lovely lad and he doesn't owe Drogheda a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

slightly off topic but that was a good program on football on the island Of Ireland on tv just now ( up close it was called).

I thought Ravis was the pick of who we signed.

Sam Stanton and Raivis Jurkovskis have returned to Scotland and Latvia respectively. We would like to thank both for their efforts during a difficult season.

The club was in a weak position with him. Who`s to say there wasn`t a smaller release clause in the previous contract or no release clause at all. In that case the likes of Hibs could come in and offer a fraction of 150k and because Kenny wants to go to a fulltime league the club are forced to take it. A LOI club turning down an offer from an SPL club for a young player that wants to go isn`t the real world.

Unfortunately the likes of Hibs are a step up from anything in the LOI - playing in front of 15,000 in a fulltime league with regular trips to Ibrox and Celtic Park. If he hits the ground running there he`ll be an Irish senior international very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

888 have given Rovers a pet horse and their fans hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've seen a few people associated with Glenmalure Rovers complaining about it, and a few who were expecting an actual signing, but at the end of the day, any earnings from that horse in races are going to charity. Can't complain too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

While frustrating to lose a good young player, I think in time this will be viewed as another sign of progress in terms of establishing the LOI as a development pathway for young players.

€150k is probably about right for a talented 18 year old who recently sat his leaving cert but who will be very raw in terms of his development as a professional footballer.

I'm sure that money will go a long way towards bringing through more young lads like him, or even the wages of a marquee player for the first team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned back at some stage.

It’s €150k more than Dundalk got for

horgan

towell

mc eleney(first time)

hoban

boyle

mc grath

mc millan

not comparing, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Have to agree, it' definitely a step in the right direction clubs getting fees (even if it's not massive). It could prove a stepping stone to bigger fees also. The reason Hibs / Motherwell et al are shopping in Ireland is the success of the likes of Jamie McGrath, even Scales is starting to make a mark at Celtic. If Kenny goes on to be a success with Hibs (if he signs), would a Scottish club think twice about paying €300k for the next young talent? Probably not. But clubs need to tie down their young players on contracts that allow this to happen, so including realistic release clauses.

In fact, a deal like this is so much better for all concerned I think. Sligo get a fee (with possible add ons) and Kenny goes over to Scotland to a club that will have invested a sizeable chunk of money in him. They will have done that with an eye to developing his talent and moving him on for a bigger fee. Hibs need to make his move work. For years, our lads have moved abroad for free & if it works out or not it doesn't matter, club have no investment so they have no stake in their development. Kenny will literally be on Hibs balance sheet. Hopefully a lot more players / agents will cope onto this - it's much better to go over to a club that has an investment in you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Not in the top 20 worst signings of the Tallaght era. Zayed, Brennan, Gilbert, Powell, Daryl Kavanagh

Even a few years ago it'd be worth throwing him/her in goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

All player transfers go through the P & L. Just saying......................😉

It feels like some people are missing the point. He's our key player. If he goes for €150k + a few potential add-ons the team is much weaker. Him staying, scoring 15-20 goals and potentially making the club far more money with European qualification again might be the better option for the club financially. Our odds of making Europe again go way down if he is sold.

He should have been kept on his old contract, in which case we had 2 options:

Option A) If an offer the club finds acceptable arrives in January then fair enough. Sell him.

Option B) The club retain the option of saying no to any offers and keeping him for the year because they think he offers more value to Rovers that way.

There does not seem to be an option B now. We don't even have the option of negotiating different fees with different clubs either because the fee is set in stone.

Would a 17 year old who hasn't made his debut be able to strong arm Rovers into including one? It doesn't sound realistic to me. It seems the club are only in a weak position because they put themselves there last month.

I know it was coming but still a big hole to fill. Another freebie

Dan Cleary

hoban signs 3 year deal.

• Advertisement

Dean Williams to Drogheda.

He has great potential. Could be a really good signing.

No one's missing the point.

LOI clubs are in weak position when it comes to transfers. The Bazunu/Shams deal was a once in a blue moon one with a lad who is the best player to come out of this country in a decade if not more and the competition drove up the asking price.

The norm is LOI players negotiating 1 year deals so they can move on frees. The only reason Kenny signed a 3 year deal was because it was laced with release clauses. Buckley said as much when it was signed.

Out of the last 5 players to win player of the year in the league 4 moved abroad. Byrne, Towell, Horgan and Maguire cost a combined fee of €125k and that was what Preston paid Cork. That was for a 30 goal LOI top scorer. Even allowing for add-ons its pretty small time stuff.

The 2nd best midfielder in the league (McEneff) went to Hearts for €200k.

In that light a €150k fee for an 18 year old with 10 league goals is alright,not great but something is better than nothing.

What do you think was an acceptable figure? The club were obviously happy to agree to €150k a few weeks ago.

Banging my head off a wall here. You're both still going on about transfer fees and ignoring the player's value to the team right now. How much other players have gone for in the past is completely irrelevant.

If he does leave and we're 6th in July with no striker capable of hitting a barn door perhaps you'll get it. The €150k won't seem that great then when we're losing to Icelandic builders again in the EUCL and not qualifying for Europe for 2023. That would cost the club at least €300k in lost revenues. Our only hope is whatever striker from outside the league we take a punt on is half decent but our track record there isn't great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Everton fans sing with glee that Seamus Coleman only cost 50k. It's like two fingers up to the whole League of Ireland.

It ended up being over €300k according to Paul Cook but that doesn't have the same ring to it.

I seem to remember Celtic taking him on trial knowing Rovers were in financial difficulty and needed to sell him to pay the tax man, but they offered no cash up front. Such is their level of respect for Irish football.

If the kid wants to stay with Sligo then he'll be of great value next season.

If he wants to go, and doesn't want to be there, then he won't be of great value. At the moment it looks like he'd prefer not to be there next season.

Again I'd applaud Sligo for managing to get a lad like that on a 2-3 year contract that allows them to get some sort of compensation. I'd say €150k will be well spent by the club.

I think there's probably about 15-20 strikers in League 2 at the moment who are capable of scoring 11 goals or more in the LOI. Aaron Drinan for example has hit double figures already after 17 games, he hit 7 in 18 games when he was last with Waterford two years ago.

Lads like Burt and Owolabi can also come in from a fairly low level in Scotland and hit a similar amount of goals.

Very fortunate that Paul Cook came in at the right time and realised his potential.

If he wants to go, and doesn't want to be there, then he won't be of great value. At the moment it looks like he'd prefer not to be there next season.

He's a local who grew up in the Showgrounds. I don't forsee a situation where he downs tools playing for his local club. He played through injury most of the season for us.

Again I'd applaud Sligo for managing to get a lad like that on a 2-3 year contract that allows them to get some sort of compensation. I'd say €150k will be well spent by the club.

If the contract is as reported then it's not worth the paper it was written on. We added 2 years on to his existing contract for what? To remove all of our negotiating power in a January transfer?

We could have demanded €150k from any team anyway without the new contract. We'd also have retained the power to, for example, demand more money up front from the likes of Celtic if they are the club who turn his head and where he wants to go, because we all know how many young Irish lads have went over there and disappeared off the face of the earth. The odds of seeing a return on any clause in a deal with them is much lower.

I think there's probably about 15-20 strikers in League 2 at the moment who are capable of scoring 11 goals or more in the LOI. Aaron Drinan for example has hit double figures already after 17 games, he hit 7 in 18 games when he was last with Waterford two years ago.

Lads like Burt and Owolabi can also come in from a fairly low level in Scotland and hit a similar amount of goals.

Those are cherry picked examples. We've had enough failures ourselves to know it's not that simple to find a capable goalscorer. I think Anthony Elding in 2013 was the last time we've actually done it.

Is Owolabi out of contract now? He's one of the players I want us to sign actually.

• Advertisement

I feel like I'm the one banging my head off a brick wall here the previous fees are to give an indication of the market value of a LOI footballer.

Here`s a scenario for you.

Mr Oat23 is the Sligo Rovers chairman. Johnny Kenny`s contract runs out in the summer of 22.

Mr Oats23: Johnny, here`s a contract for 3 years with a 500k release clause in it?

Johnny Kenny: I`m not signing that I want to move to Britain if a decent club comes in for me and that will put them off. I`m a semi-pro footballer and there would be other much less riskier signings they could make at that price that come from better fulltime leagues and/or are older.

Mr Oat23: You have to sign it!

Agent: He doesn`t.

Mr Oat23: Ah, go on, please like?

I`m not sure what you think happens in this scenario. Does the club play hard ball and stop an 18 year old's move to a fulltime set up with better coaches and players?

The facilities at Hibs are miles ahead of anything in the LOI. They have a £5 million training ground on 24 acres with 5 pitches. Do Rovers say no to Kenny he has to stay training on an astro turf at the back of the Showgrounds eating fitfood meals off his lap and heading off to play in one of the many living museums that are LOI grounds?

OK, Rovers want to get into Europe but Hibs are here now with E150k and unfortunately LOI clubs are living hand to mouth.

The "Icelandic Builders" comment is pretty out of touch. Plenty of outfits around Europe look down their noses at LOI sides as "leprachauns" or "Farmers". LOI clubs are routinely beaten by Lithuanian, Estonian and Icelandic sides. Its delusional to think semi-pro LOI outfits have any right to beat any of these sides. Our clubs are slightly better than some of these outfits but not enough to say we have a right to steam roll them. As a whole LOI clubs history in Europe is absolutely dire. We`ve won 3 games out of 26 in Europe. Shams have lost 46 out of 76, with 16 wins! I`m not sure even a promising player like Kenny could help with that.

British clubs aren`t charities. They`ll look to pay as little as they can. A LOI player going anywhere in Britain is unproven and a risk because they are not being tested against full time opponents on a weekly basis. Patrick Hoban tore up this league scoring 30 goals, went off to Oxford and a few League 2 clubs and looked completely out of his depth. Came back, Scored another 30 goals in a season. Difference being League 2 is a fulltime league, LOI is not.

Mr Oat23 is the Sligo Rovers chairman. Johnny Kenny`s contract runs out in the summer of 22.

Winter of 2022 but I'm assuming this is just a typo.

Mr Oats23: Johnny, here`s a contract for 3 years with a 500k release clause in it?

Johnny Kenny: I`m not signing that I want to move to Britain if a decent club comes in for me and that will put them off. I`m a semi-pro footballer and there would be other much less riskier signings they could make at that price that come from better fulltime leagues and/or are older.

Mr Oat23: You have to sign it!

Agent: He doesn`t.

Mr Oat23: Ah, go on, please like?

I never expected the club to have signed Kenny to a deal with a much bigger release clause. Nowhere have I said that. My opinion is the new contract was not worth signing if it has indeed added a release clause of just €150k and he leaves via that 2 months after signing the deal. It has handicapped us from any type of negotiation in the transfer wherever he goes. Please tell me what you think the benefit is (from the club's POV) adding a €150k release clause 2 months before selling a player. There is none that I can see.

It's a different story entirely if Johnny had told the club prior to the extension that he's going to stay another year and this trip to Scotland was just to see what he thinks of the place, in which case extending the contract with the clause was indeed a brilliant move as we get another year of Johnny in the side AND a fee next winter if he goes then....But we don't know if that is the case yet. Dan McDonnell who is obviously getting info straight from his agent seems to think a move is highly likely in January.

OK, Rovers want to get into Europe but Hibs are here now with E150k and unfortunately LOI clubs are living hand to mouth.

Rovers have actually done quite well over the past 2 years due to the government assistance through COVID and fundraising. That is partly why we have no early bird ST discount this year. There's no outstanding bills that need paying like most years.

You can see the change already coming into the league in terms of the number of talented young players who are dotted around the clubs. The profile of the players in the Cup Final this year is pretty different to what it was 10 or 20 years ago.

There is a smattering of young lads (Kenny, Scales, Cleary, Whelan Kelly et al) who have the potential to go across to the UK and have a shot at a respectable professional career at Championship/League 1/Scottish Premier level.

There's probably another group of lads who've been over in academies and maybe have played at U23 level but badly need games (Patterson, Jaros, Lewis et al).

It's a win-win for LOI clubs, and they should embrace the opportunity which is emerging. Not only is this a potential lifeline in terms of a sustainable business model in a league where clubs constantly go bust, it also means we can always look forward to seeing good football played and maybe a bit of progress in Europe too.

What does any of this have to do with what I said? I said he went on trial to Celtic with them knowing Rovers needed cash from the deal to pay the tax man and then after the trial they came in wanting him but not offering any cash. Why are you giving me Pat Hoban's career history? 😂

If he doesn't want to go he'll not move to Hibs and this conversation is over. Clearly he wants out.

I don't think they are cherry picked examples to be honest, and I stand over my comment that there's probably 15-20 League 2 strikers capable of hitting double figures in the LOI. Show me another proven goal scorer who was signed from a League 1 or 2 club who didn't cut the mustard?

They only constructive element of the conversation now is what do Sligo do with the cash. Did ye get any decent money for Gibson by the way?

It'll be interesting to see what Pat's get, if anything, from Hibs for Darragh Burns.

• Advertisement

Re: L1/L2 proven goalscorer: I couldn't even name one that has signed here. There is more money on offer over there so I don't think that happens often. It's usually lads who haven't cut it at that level who can come over here and be goal machines, like Danny North for example. Or Garry Twigg being an average enough forward in the Scottish 2nd tier and being godlike here. It's a punt. Some lads can adjust to the league and living in Ireland. Others can't. I don't see Rovers being in a position to attract a proven L1/L2 goalscorer just because of the Kenny money.

Think we got something in the region of £10k for Gibson.

The Gibson experience is different in that he's not from Sligo, but that's a classic example of a lad signing on the condition that he'd be let go if an offer came in. Pity that ye didn't get more for him.

I think a player like Colm Whelan would probably be a stronger player than Kenny next year but is unlikely to leave UCD, and definitely not to Sligo due to his studies. Owolabi is probably a more realistic option.

League 2 average salary is reportedly £114k per year. Maybe you could tempt a player like Drinan home if he has a shot at European football, and put his eye in the shop window that way. Or you could push the boat out any try and tempt the likes of Eoin Doyle home for his swansong. He's 33 but a 2-3 year contract could be tempting - could see him hitting 20 goals a season for ye.

Yeah you're right, Drinan is quality I think.

I also agree that there's no shortage of players who could come in and be as good or not better than Kenny, the challenge is probably identifying them and convincing them to sign.

Pat Hoban signs a 3 year deal with Dundalk.

I know that they are short players and that he is a terrific striker, but giving a 3 year deal to a 30 year old (presumably on good money)?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

He's probably the best striker in the league and most other clubs would happily tie him down for 3 years IMO

• Advertisement

You don't seem to have the foggiest of how football transfers or simple business works. Of course Celtic were looking to take advantage of Rovers as i said already Celtic or any other club are not a charity!

The Coleman example is minnowism of the highest order. 60k? 300k?. We got fook all for him considering how he turned out.

As for the Hoban example that was to illustrate how good a player can look in the LOI because of the opposition. But then completely tank in a fulltime league. This is part of the reason why LOI transfers are small. Anyway, I've had enough banging my head off this wall, so I'll call it a day.

It probably (or if not it should) means paying him a lower wage in exchange for the security of a three year deal.

He's the 4th top scorer in the league, should have a few more years in him, and you could make the argument that they badly need his experience amid all the chopping and changing in the squad.

You don't seem to have the foggiest of how football transfers or simple business works. Of course Celtic were looking to take advantage of Rovers as i said already Celtic or any other club are not a charity!

I understand how transfers work. What I don't understand is why you felt the need to explain it to me. I was providing an example of a club with no respect for our league in response to the other poster's example, but you decided to share your infinite wisdom on another topic. Posting "Tough s**t, that's business" and bringing up Pat Hoban's failings in England had no relevance.

Positive marks for calling Celtic British at least.

As expected Benson signs, presumably for at least 2 years. Daniel Kelly offered 2 year contract,(I don’t know if he signed)

Post edited by joeysoap on

You may have convinced yourself you do but you clearly don't understand how transfers work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Even Gaffney at Rovers hasn't managed it with his supporting cast at the Champions, and he scored the same at Bristol Rovers in League Two as at Rovers.

So at Longford, you're going to need a very very proven striker...

Post edited by dfx- on

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

Benson on his usual 1 year deal. Never signs longer as he claims should he fall out of love with the game he wants to be able to go back to his day job.

Kelly on 2 year contract.

Funny how the website avoids length of contract yet spells out that Kelly's contract is for 2 years.

Abibi back to Albania ( if he caught the plane - he caught nothing else).

if Mountney follows Benson he will then become the last player already on the books before Kenny took over - replacing Cherrie, who is on the released list. The other one was Chris Shields (who scored yesterday)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭RedCardKid

Abibi I have been told is training with a club in Holland ..... staying fit needless to say. Kinda feel sorry for the lad ... took a lot of stick, but at the end of the day he was offered a contract by FG, took it and wasnt at the level required. Vinny continued to play him, so either Vinny was seeing something in training or he wasnt picking he best team for a reason.

Was in Oriel today and seen Slogget hanging around the shop, assume he is the next to be announced. Also heard Leahy and Murray are set to be announced.

Mark Doyle and Joe Redmond sign for Pats.

Tim Clancy also wants Jimmy Browne and David Odumuso.

Pats want 4 of our back 5. From the team that finished third last in the league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement