Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I heard they're putting 5g receptors in the masks in california now too. Wont be long till bill and his pizzagate buddies have complete control.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

The daily figures are high but still understated

most private sector employees who are close contacts of a confirmed case or have mild symptoms will NOT take a test themselves or let their children take one in case it is shows positive and then they are out of work unpaid

that is the harsh reality so I estimate the daily figures are understated by about a third

so 500 in hospital and 100 in ICU does not mean much in grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

That shouldn't surprise anyone at this stage. This will definitely kill the vaccination program. Why get them if they still intend to keep us in eternal lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You'll never get a job on NPHET modelling with that kind of guesswork, you should have doubled it! Oh and it's 400 and 100.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Are you making a joke? If not, where did you get this 5g receptors stuff? I am in California now. Cloth masks are worn by most Californians, except in health care. You can make them yourself to satisfy the governor's requirements. Or buy from retail vendors. There has been a fashion industry developing with cloth masks. I have a friend who is making and selling them. Many use paper surgical masks, that do not have receptors.

I now wear N-95s. Thanks to my university employer. No receptors. Just filters developed by 3M. Early scholarly literature suggests N-95s may be needed for Omicron variation. N-95s are not mandated by California. I could wear cloth or surgical to meet my university employer requirements.

My university mandates vaccinations for all students, staff, faculty, administration, and visitors. Masks and social distancing included. Hand washing encouraged. Must provide vaccination documentation to enter campus. For months now. This fall 2021 we did allow person-to-person instruction, replacing most online alternatives. Beyond instruction, no "Relaxation of Restrictions" planned for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its hard to do. No **** sherlock.

But you start somewhere, so what are they doing about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Remember Irelands call? Remind me how many got recruited in that drive ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/ffd3f-minister-for-health-announces-plan-to-expand-critical-care-capacity-to-446-beds/

As I said, it takes a long time, hence why the above is a MULTI-YEAR plan. In the meantime, we need to have a short term plan. How hard is it to get that through your skull?

Now, can we put to bed this claim that the current government have done nothing to address ICU capacity? They have started worked on multi-year plans to expand capacity, which take time for the reasons I've already addressed. While that plan is executed, we need to manage with what the system currently can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

They are closing businesses based on unknowns, they are mystic megging it. There is no scientific or factual basis for the shutdowns. Hospitalisations are down 40% even with a month of Omicron. They are guessing at a worst case scenario and shutting down based on that guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's a solution for the term of the "public health emergency" that is the Covid-19 pandemic.

Longer-term it's definitely not a solution. Only a complete gutting of HSE management will suffice for that.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Ye, Sorry, just taking the piss, and preempting the let rip, anti mask psychos that live on this thread.

N95s/ffp2s are great. If you're going to wear a mask, you might as well wear one that works imo. Cloth masks should have been ditched in 2020 but for some odd reason they are still the norm in Ireland and many other places.

Sounds like your college is taking the right steps to keep people safe . Good stuff.

Ah right yes, that's fair enough, my point was around people who say that we should have added a lot of permanent new capacity to the health system by now (ie. from last year to now), which takes longer than that to put in place unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Your point is inane, you seem to think you are the only person who knows that building ICU capacity is hard, as if it is some big secret you have figured out. I'm starting to believe you are indeed young, its very much a pretentious student attitude.

What the adults know is that we have been here before and take what the HSE says with a pinch of salt. For example, you linked to the plan to expand critical care capacity, can you not see from that link that we have already failed to meet the phase one target of 321 beds by the end of 2021? (We had 301 at the end of November, maybe they added 20 in December, if so I will retract).

Adults look at the slaintecare debacle, the childrens hospital debacle, the broken promises of the past and the fact that we now have to go into lockdown yet again and so the obvious is not to clap on our balcony like a moron, it is to say "Yeah, we know its hard, but we are sick of this HSE bullshit, show us some real institutional change that gives us hope that we don't have to go through this ever again".

Maybe in about 20 years you will be having this same conversation with another kid who is only seeing it for the first time.

Ah right yes, because you are no longer able to counter after I pulled out evidence that they were doing something to increase ICU capacity, you have reduced your argument to trying to patronise me. They have made progress by adding approx 50 permanent ICU beds, or 20% increase in capacity thus far. That is visible progress towards the promises. But the goalposts have changed from 'they're not doing anything' to 'I don't trust them continuing to do what they've been doing'.

I am not a student by the way, I am an educated adult in full time employment. Ultimately, whether the HSE has broken promises in the past matters little to what needs to be done now, it will not change what has to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Well one last hooray for 2021.....

Not going to hold back, so found something to make the night unforgettable.....😁

and might not be well in the morning I'd say, but as its the last After 8 party I think it will be worth it to push the boat out a bit.....

The orange ones are pretty nice actually, got a partially eaten box of them in the fridge!

Its not about countering anything, and its not moving the goalposts to state that they have already missed the first target they set which doesn't inspire confidence that they will meet the longer term targets.

My point was always that we need to see institutional change in the HSE, search that word and you will a long post from me yesterday saying exactly that.

We are facing into another lockdown, less than 2 years after the first and for exactly the same reason. You might be happy to shrug your shoulders and be happy that they are doing their best, but I for one expect better than that.

Like much of Europe is? This is nothing to do with the HSE or Ireland's politicians, all of Europe is exploding with new cases now, it's the virus, not the HSE. Yes, the HSE needs reforms, I would have no arguments against that, but the need for this lockdown is not due to the HSE or any actions which were not taken by the HSE, because all of Europe is feeling this storm incoming and taking increasingly strong actions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Early Covid scholarly research and news media reports have suggested that cloth masks may not be effective for Omicron. At best, for any Covid variations, the cloth masks might somewhat limit the plume when someone coughs or sneezes. Beats coughing into your hand or elbow. But plumes still escape the cloth masks somewhat. They don't offer much, if any protection to the wearer if someone else issues a plume. Not sure how this may affect present and future indoor mask wearing mandates in California. N-95s are getting cheaper with volume manufacturing, both domestic and foreign, so maybe there will be a switch someday?

California has had fool-driven anti-masker protests. Huntington Beach had mask burning. There has also been nonsense conspiracy theories about masks, which make me laugh.

Now who is moving the goalposts?

Its always hard to know when Europe is relevant or not. If they are closing down then we close down, if they are opening up then we stay closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What way of "Dealing with" do you seek ?

There are a multitude of things in our World which are not "Right",with Covid vaccine availability being way down any meaningful list.

I see nothing "wrong" with a 5 year old Irish child receiving a Jab whilst an African does'nt.

So keeping it as simple as you wish,it's a YES.

As for the supposed inequity in this,I would direct you to the Irish Overseas Aid Budget for 2020 (Not the best of years round these parts ) which stood at €867.5 Million spent.

https://www.irishaid.ie/what-we-do/how-our-aid-works/where-the-money-goes/

For a small,some would say,still developing country on the periphery of Europe,Ireland's Taxpayers more than accquit themselves in aiding a wide selection of African countries....

Total Official Development Assistance: €867.5 million. This included over €150m allocated to the global response to COVID-19 in 2020.

Of the total spend in 2020, 53% (€458m) was allocated to bilateral partners, with 47% (€409m) to multilateral partners.

The top ten partner countries to receive Irish Aid support in 2020 were: Ethiopia (€39.6m), Mozambique (€25.7m), Tanzania (€22.9m), Uganda (€22.7m), Malawi (€20.8), Sierra Leone (€14.6), Zimbabwe (€8.7), Palestine (€8.6), South Sudan (€8.6M).

So,to reiterate for clarity,given that EVERY Irish taxpayer already has a direct input into both targeted Covid-19 stuff,in addition to the usual long running relief programmes I see nothing wrong with Ireland then concentrating on at least those already resident on our Island before rushing to flog ourselves over a far away continent,many of whose inhabitants will have NOTHING to do with any form of 21st century medicines of even the most basic forms.

Reality may often be sad and distasteful....but,it remains Reality.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

As expected Holland go into full lockdown

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

True. I don't like when people have too much of an Irishcentric view on things but it's true, the arguments seem to change when there's normality and the same people defending Government will defend them when they are the most conservative when it comes to unwinding restrictions.

TBH, it's our ingrained personality traits that cause us to be on one side of the fence or the other, the best thing we can do is have a reasoned debate and hope that we get as close to the truth as possible.

In this present moment, there seems to be no way that you can remain open given the uncertainty surrounding Omicron, there's just too much at stake and too short a time to mull over and dissect the morality of deciding to live truly with Covid but EVENTUALLY we will have to come to that point because no matter how improved our ICU capacity becomes or what HSE reforms are brought in to improve efficiency, we will never get out of this because we will never have enough capacity to deal with the numbers of infections That might still happen but we can't bank on it. I will be very interested to see when the west faces the full economic brunt of these continued lockdowns because you can be sure if was higher earners being affected there would be much more of a status quo pushback against restrictions. This will eventually happen; the services sector is too important both from a societal and economic standpoint. We have seen the phenomenon in China where young people decide to 'lay flat', what happens when young people decide to exit service based positions because what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They are going to push people way too far over the line in the next month

the ones on guaranteed wages for life think this is just a game

but the fallout will eventually arrive at their door

What in the name of christ are you talking about? I haven't moved any goalposts in the slightest, I am showing you that the HSE is not culpable for these new measures as other health systems are having to do the same thing.

Goalpost moving means that you make one point, get proven wrong, then change to a tangential point. You claimed that the HSE is at fault for us staring into another lockdown, and I used other countries in Europe being forced to take the same measures as a counter. That is not goalpost moving. I'm going to stop wasting my time with this discussion as it is going absolutely nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There are far more pressing issues in many of those countries than a virus with a relatively low mortality rate that puts a lot of pressure on the health system (mostly as a fully integrated health system doesn't exist in many). There is also other medicines that they could do with (that we take for granted) that would improve mortality rates considerably, e.g. penicillin, Ivermectin for treating river blindness, malaria vaccines. There really isn't a scenario anymore where a vaccine not taken in Europe, US, China, Russia, would have gone to Africa, if people are interested that way, contribute to COVAX, or other aid systems which work on not just getting the medicine there but also administering it.

Ireland will be in a full lockdown very shortly, just like a few lads in here very definitely said would not happen.

I have to say I really don't see the point of a lockdown if Omicron is as transmissible as reported. It would need to last for months otherwise every single time you reopen the cases will shoot up again within days. And it would need to be very severely enforced otherwise it will just spread anyway even with the reduced contacts. In a country that is sick of restrictions and no longer trusting the government people will flout the lockdown terms and cases will shoot up within days.

It is a fools errand if you ask me, but here we are.

• Advertisement

Yep. cloth masks, particularly the 1 ply kind that some people wear don't seem to do much. Probably better than nothing though. N95s and FFp2/3s look to offer far more protection. A recent german study showed if both an infected and non infected persons wore ffp2s indoors the chance of spread within the hour was something like 1/1000. They work.

Taiwan, Japan and korea have managed to control their pandemic far better than any other countries utilizing high quality masks as their primary weapon.

Here in ireland people just throw on any mask, and then there's the percentage of morons who cant even be bothered to put in over their nose.

Advertisement