Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How is this in any way relevant to the medical decision about whether to vaccinate by choice now?

Are you suggesting rejecting the booster as a form of protest, to sway the politics around covid certs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭storker

@Wibbs "BTW if your tipple is red wine and a moderate consumption of same going by the science you'll likely love longer and be more healthy than a teetotaller."

Now that's my kind of medical advice. I think I'll crack open a (medicinal) bottle of Shiraz this evening. 😊 I have heard this before of course, something to do with tannins If I remember correctly, but it's always nice to hear it again...

"The Irish psyche/culture has long shown itself to be conformist, compliant, even servile to authority(and all too quick to turn on those that aren't)Just as a healthy society shouldn't judge itself by the wealth of its wealthy, but by how poor its poor are, it should also judge itself not by how it treats the conformists, but how it treats the non conformists. And since we live in a pretty healthy society all in, only the reactive would suggest declining healthcare for the non boosted/vaccinated."

I've heard this claim made many times, but I have the sneaking suspicion that it's often aimed at people because they don't agree with the person making it. I'd offer the state of litter in this country as just one example. I think it's more to the point that Irish people are more servile to their own wishes than they are to authority. Sometimes their wishes will align will align with the government's requirements, sometimes they won't. Of course, when government and majority are in alignment the "sheeple" accusation gets trotted out. Nothing new there. Also, as far as I can see the people dreaming up additional punishments for the un-vaccinated are merely a mirror image of the equally small but inversely loud anti-vax movement. It would be a mistake, I think, to see in them a meaningful trend.

(Jesus I fcuking hate the new editing tools)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,747 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are all places giving the same brand booster? Will they give you whatever they have on the day or is there a check done to see what goes best according to what you previously had?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

"Will you be taking a booster", is the question, well why would you not.

I am sick to death of people that spout misinformation or plain lies to come up with reasond not to take the vaccination or booster when what they are doing is ensuring this virus will never go away. I have been doubled jabbed and boosted mainly to assist society to beat this virus and to save the lives of people less fortunate than me as I am normally a healthy person that Covid if I caught it would probably not be fatal. I also wear a mask when appropriate, that some people refuse to wear a mask if only to protect others is selfish in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Plenty of lies and misinformation were spouted about the effectiveness of the vaccines to get our society back to normal, yet here we are. But you won't see these accusations directed back at those who made them. Instead we have a doubling-down of "follow the science" which is the most bull$hit term conjured up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Moderna (Spikevax half dose) is the product of choice at MVCs now. Only allowed for 30+.

Children will get Pfizer (1/3 dose).

Unvaccinated will get Pfizer primary doses.

Pfizer available in GPs and Pharmacies.

I think Pfizer will become the booster of choice longterm but only after they have used up the million+ doses of Moderna.

I personally would be reluctant to get a vaccine 'mix' so I will opt for a Pfizer booster, probably in a pharmacy. All my eggs in one basket so to speak.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've heard this claim made many times, but I have the sneaking suspicion that it's often aimed at people because they don't agree with the person making it. I'd offer the state of litter in this country as just one example. I think it's more to the point that Irish people are more servile to their own wishes than they are to authority. Sometimes their wishes will align will align with the government's requirements, sometimes they won't. Of course, when government and majority are in alignment the "sheeple" accusation gets trotted out. Nothing new there. Also, as far as I can see the people dreaming up additional punishments for the un-vaccinated are merely a mirror image of the equally small but inversely loud anti-vax movement. It would be a mistake, I think, to see in them a meaningful trend.

Oh there's much to that too S. Though I would still say that Irish culture is a very conformist middle of the road one and especially when it comes to authority. We like to claim a "rebel Irish" tag but history shows it to be a nonsense. Within Ireland anyway. Beyond our shores it's far more in play with the diaspora. I suspect because they didn't have nearly so much of the very strong parochial influence to deal with. We have an odd relationship to authority. On the one hand servile, on the other and behind its back we'll cock a snook at it to balance that out, albiet impotently for the most part. Litter could well be an example of that. So long as the curtains don't twitch too much we're grand. And it seems litter doesn't get them twitching. We also like to lay the blame for our ills on authority as part of our love/hate relationship to it. We give it the parental role and well it gets us off the hook on the personal level. Like those so called adults still blaming their parents for their own adult ills and faults. We got rid of the English(and it took long enough and was by the skin of our teeth) and in their wake we laid our woes on them. The second they were gone we brought in the Church because our nature abhors a vacuum and when in turn we got rid of them we laid our woes on them. It was their fault, even though it wasn't Italians sticking our children in homes, or forcing young women to go to England. It was us. It was our parents and grandparents and great grandparents that happily and en masse kissed the bishop's ring. Compare and contrast us to the Latins. Chalk and cheese in this regard. Now this does make us a more stable, easygoing, be grand, much less prone to extremist thinking society overall and that's the very good side effect of this conformity and cap doffing to authority, but imho that conformity and cap doffing is very much in play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I am sick to death of people that spout misinformation or plain lies to come up with reasond not to take the vaccination or booster when what they are doing is ensuring this virus will never go away.

Regardless of one's position on boosters or no, I hate to break it to you, but even if every man woman and child in Ireland was vaccinated and boosted this virus is never going away with any of the current vaccines or measures. The vaccines and boosters are far too leaky, we can't ringfence outbreaks because of that, the virus changes too quickly(though thankfully not nearly as quickly as flu viruses), the vaccines only retain neutralising antibodies for a few months, there are non human viral reservoirs and billions of human hosts around the planet. Unless we develop a new vaccine(s) that reduce transmission and breakthrough infections significantly better than the current lot and for much longer then we're going to be dealing with this pox for the foreseeable future. The only other hope is that it does mutate into a glorified seasonal common cold with similar levels of serious illness and death and outcompetes the other variants and immunises us all by natural spread until it doesn't matter any more. Or we can take a pill at the firs sign of symptoms and stop it progressing to serious illness.

On top of that we're going to have to ban wet markets worldwide, radically change how we produce animal protein for food and clamp down hard on laboratories fiddling about with viruses*. Otherwise another and likely far more deadly pox will be coming down the pike. Covid 19 is the least deadly pandemic in world history as far as serious illness and death is concerned. We got "lucky". Consider the original SARS back in 02. That killed over ten percent of the infected. MERS killed a third of those infected. Covid 19 so far kills around(but as likely under) 1% and 90% of those are over 70 and it threw the world into a rightful panic and slowdown. This was a warning we need to heed.

*I mention labs because I'm still up in the air regarding the origin of this pox. What has struck me is within a few months of SARS and MERS being seen we had definite animal intermediate vectors for them. Civet cats and camels respectively. With Covid 19 two years in we're still looking for how it jumped from bats to us and things are a lot less clear. It wouldn't surprise me if a lab fcukup released it. It's likely happened before. The Russian flu of the late 1970's looked far too similar to the Korean flu of the 1950's given how quickly flu viruses mutate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Will you be taking a booster is the thread title; in all likelihood that is going to be boosters.

For people in low risk groups such as myself; fit and lean 46 yr old with double vaccination I'd rather not be a guinea pig for repeated new technology vaccines WITHOUT good data that it is likely to be harmless.

My view is heavily influenced by the pretty dramatic and almost 6 months and counting effect the Pfizer vaccine had on one of my siblings. So much so that her GP has advised she takes no more. He has advised her he has a few patients with similar symptoms but they are all long Covid rather than vaccine, so her suffering an untested infection can't be discounted I suppose.

If I have medium to long term protection (via antibodies, T or C cell immunity) I'll need good evidence to convince me I should take repeated boosters in the long term for something which is really unlikely to make me seriously ill.

Maybe the vaccine manufacturers know who will react poorly or can learn given the numbers who have taken them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No I'm suggesting that citizens will be obliged to take a booster and another booster and so on, in order to comply with the provisions of Covid Certs. Of course, you can survive without a covid cert but many will need it in order to conduct their ordinary lives. If that comes to pass then it'll represent vaccination by dictate.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭thebronze14

"These vaccines are transformative.

And they are our way out."

-Micheál Martin, 30/03/21

That aged well. As a healthy 34 year old that has had my two jabs then no. Once we started imposing restrictions again and herd immunity is a figment of the imagination then there is no point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭skinny90

31, was told by my family and a few mates in Sligo that it was soo quiet they were letting anyone in and giving them their booster

checked ballybrit, which was also dead, was told not a chance and to go to Sligo or get a GP referral.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

How do you know you are in a low risk group? Do you know more that the experts on the long term impact of a 46 having caught covid? Are you sure you won't be impacted by say respiratory problem later in live, cause a significant reduction in your life expectance?

The reality is that nobody has an idea of what the long term risks of have had the virus nor the vaccines. And ranking the unknown of having the virus higher than the unknown of taking the vaccines is purely speculation on your part. I recon taking the vaccines gives you a higher probability of being around to find out and if there are issues with the vaccines there will be a very big motivation to find solutions.

At the end fo the day the choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

offering boosters developed for an early variant hoping it will reassure the 93% double vaxed has got the pro vaccine group which i was one thinking why should take something less lightly to work fool me once etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

because these accusations are based on myths and misinformation spouted by those accusing those who stated the actual facts about vaccines of spouting misinformation and lies, when it was really the case that those doing the accusing simply heard what they wanted to hear.

the facts are.

1. vaccines will assist us out of this.
    2. it was never said that once we got the vaccine that we would be going back to the 2019 normal, but we would be hopefully able to avoid a 2020 style lock down, which so far we have avoided again.
    3. it was never said that vaccines would remove the need for all restrictions straight away.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it did age well as he is still correct.

realistically not taking a booster means one will be classed as unvaccinated going forward and will have restrictions placed on them so as to allow those of us who do our bit to not be held to ransom.

being young and healthy only lowers the risk, the reality is that it does not get one out of this and an individual can't know for 100% certain how their body will actually react if they get it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Eh he's already double jabbed. He's taken the vaccine. If he's exposed to and comes down with symptomatic infection from covid six months in according to the data and the vaccine manufacturers at his age he should still be protected from serious illness and death. Doubly so if it's the omricon variant. An absolutely tiny number of omricon infections have resulted in death and I can't find the numbers regarding vaccinated or boosted or not. And the experts you mention, and you go on to make this point yourself, have no idea of the long term risks, or not with a recovered covid infection.

I recon taking the vaccines gives you a higher probability of being around to find out and if there are issues with the vaccines there will be a very big motivation to find solutions.

I suspect the issues with vaccines will be low enough, though at this stage who knows. The mRNA type have only been in human trials and use for less than two years, but if there are issues, the more doses involved the more issues there will be. If we're boosting every six months for the foreseeable that's not so good. Fine for the vulnerable and the elderly because the risk/reward ratio is heavily skewed towards boosters for them. Trying to boost the entire adult and possibly child population I'm not nearly so sure about. The viral vector types also have their own issue. Namely because they use an inactivated and tweaked with the spike common cold type virus to illicit an immune response boosters will only work for so long as the body recognises and stops the inactivated virus before it gets a chance to illicit as strong an immune response.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have gotten the 2 jabs, will get the booster. Will also get the flu jab shortly.

Half to keep my family healthy, and half because some of the people I interact with seem to be anti-vax lunatics who could have the virus and wouldn't tell anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

The question is not how will it change for the worse but how will it change for the better, will I be able to live differently than I do now? Will I be able to go to a nightclub till 2am, will I be able to go into a shop without a mask, will I be able to go see my children in their school plays, will I be able to have face to face parent teacher meetings? No. Nothing will change for the better or worse so why would I bother when I have adequate protection anyway.

The government imposed more restrictions on those of us who are vaccinated and boosted. Dangling a carrot by saying well you might, is not good enough and history has shown that it is just a carrot being dangled.

Now if in January they said all these things will definitely be true if you get a booster, I would. However I would still wait and see as I no longer trust what is said.

My unvaxinated child can be a close contact in school and not have to isolate yet a fully vaxxed person has to test and isolate.

If a person has contracted covid in the past 9 months they neither have to test nor isolate even as a household contact. The only conclusion to this is that infection gives better protection than vaccines. Vaccines do work to prevent serious illness and death, I do not dispute that at all, so vaccination followed by infection, to me, is the best of both worlds.

Incidentally, I have today become a close contact as my husband has covid, he's fully vaxxed since August, me since April. He is not isolating away from us, we are all in this together. We will have a nice quiet Christmas. I'm not a single bit worried and look forward to my recovery cert that will work for 180 days, bringing me to summer when cases are lower. And then I can get an updated covid and flu shot in time for the winter wave 2022. 6 to 9 months of no testing and no isolation (apart from if you have symptoms of course) is more appealing than boosters that you still have to isolate and test with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Healthy. No underlying conditions. The only reason I would consider getting a booster is to reduce spread.

Is there any DATA on the impact booster have on spread reduction? For example what impact do boosters have on the R number of a largely double jabbed population?

Many on here claiming boosters reduce spread. Lets see the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Well after 93% were vaccinated we are reintroducing restrictions so they certainly aren't the way out sadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Think I'll be in for a long wait tomorrow for my booster. Gonna arrive there early and hope for the best. It's the first day for the 40-49 age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks, I understand the broad thrust of your argument now.

On the detail, as far as I can tell the only difference between recovered and vaccinated w.r.t. being a close contact is that the vaccinated need to take three antigen tests whereas the recovered do not.

Source:

Good luck with the husband's COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Vaccinated close contacts of a household case have to do 5 days isolation, recovered do not as per HSE advice to me today when they rang. Husband has a sore throat, runny nose and very extreme headache, slight cough but definetly more like man flu than covid. He said the headache is the worst part. Perhaps the omicron varient?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Booster booked for lunchtime on Tuesday with my usual GP.

The first two I had were Pfizer so I assume I'd be getting the same boost, possibly incorrect though

• Registered Users Posts: 30,518 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No intention of getting a booster. Had it about a month ago. Had worse hangovers. **** em. Most vaccinated country in world and they want us to close at 5. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Can you just ring your local pharmacy/Dr and organise an appointment? Instead of queing up for ages at a walk in clinic. Or are they only doing vulnerable people?

Advertisement