Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I get the impression macron doesn’t care how he’s perceived and will do what he thinks is the right thing to protect France and yes that may not be helpful next year but as I said I don’t think he cares about optics even though you’d think he would care. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Well why not use the original source instead of some far right grifter fake news site who has chosen to spin the word "could" into a clickbait article?

It shows where posters are getting their information from and don't see why it needs to be dumped here.

Sorry for upsetting you. I have a feeling if someone posted a link to RTE etc. you would be the first moaning about MSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Yes, I'm sure I look like the upset one in this exchange.

Just go to the source. And chill the **** out, dude. You'll give yourself palpitations.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Are you one of these people that would mask babies ?

Masks are pointless unless you are ill ...

If one is breathing normally masks are useless

So from that thread it looks like modellers are being asked to model only the scenarios that would require action while leaving out scenarios that wouldn't, and then politicians are pointing at these worst-worst-case models and saying "Look! We need to take action! The modellers said!"

Scummy.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

The World Bank's Covid Project ends in March 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Pfizer is making Billions off of this. Is it really that shocking that they would want it to last for as long as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Omicron is only 23 days old today. Yet opportunist politicians are out with the usual bleating about the lack of planning. I wonder what contingencies they thought of.

Meanwhile, Norway has banned alcohol sales, Denmark is closing entertainment venues at 10pm and the Netherlands is locking down. Michael Martin made the mature, responsible and deeply unpopular call. No thanks expected.

• Advertisement

World Bank Document

The estimated closing date is 31/03/2025. That's how long the World Bank thinks the fallout will last until.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nobody thought there would be a variant of covid, it isn't something anybody could have predicted or planned for or used as an excuse for caution for 18 months.

You seemed to have missed my point. Why did the other poster have to link to a far right false news grifting website if the actual article was of any importance?

They spun the work "could" to invent a non story.

Do you have a problem with me highlighting the poster is dumpling stories from very dodgy sources? If you do report my post instead of replying telling me to "chill the f*ck out*

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

I personally believe there should be zero restrictions since April 2020

obviously at start of 2020 it was right to lockdown as nobody knew the expected mortality rate

Given the mean and average age is 82 plus, for me 5000 deaths above the average deaths for 2010 to 2019 is acceptable per annum and only when we go over should we start with restrictions

if you compare 2020 and 2021 deaths to 2019 total deaths are only up less then a thousand

because most of the people dying from covid are not far off dying regardless

this virus has always being a nothing and you can see from South Africa the latest mutation is a nothing too

I don’t get the hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I'm not surprised. For a virus with a 99% survival rate this is being milked for all its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why should anyone accept your criteria for the number of acceptable deaths?

Its not all about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

What makes a covid death different to any other death?

People die, deal with it.

Everyone knew that new variants are part of the picture. The transmissibility of this one has forced the hand of health authorities all over Europe, not just in Ireland. Its arrival 4 weeks before Christmas has amplified the hysteria.

Milked by who I wonder? Explain what the Irish government has to gain by imposing restrictions on Christmas week.

I'm not the other poster's keeper, so I have no idea why he posted the link he posted but my assumption would be because that's where he saw the information he wanted to share.

You can post what you want, but it is very disingenuous to get all up in arms about a not-my-politics slanted publication being linked instead of addressing the point made. It's like an ad hominem attack on the source rather than an actual point. Like you just really want everyone to know that you really don't like the meany publication, rather than having anything relevant or useful to say.

And then you went with "you and the OP dumping that crap here lap up anything without any critical thinking" when I pointed out that the Reuters link was in the fourth line. I'm not sure I've ever posted a link to a GP article in my life.

It's a pretty immature and aggressive way to try and have a conversation about anything. That's all.

• Advertisement

The only reasonable excuse I could see is that the people asking for the models and stipulating that they only include scenarios that require action are not communicating with the people receiving the models, who are in turn assuming that the models include all scenarios and not just "worst cases" that require action.

It sounds helladumb, but from my time with a "proper job" in UK government I would be completely unsurprised by it.

You decided to jump in and defend the OP and their sources after they went quiet when it was shown their link dump was shown up for what it was from a grifter fake news site.

All I was doing was pointing out the dubious source. Sorry for upsetting your Saturday night.

I chose to point out to you that the link to the Reuters article was in the fourth line of the Gateway Pundit article.

You seemed to be having some trouble.

You're welcome.

You keep missing the word "could" in that article. That's why the poster had to link to a fake news website instead of using the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 16,662 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That's odd as viruses tend to mutate as a matter of course. The only people who didn't see variants arriving when this pandemic began are people who had or have no idea about viruses in general (and I'm only talking about trivia level knowledge as opposed to the insights of a virologist).

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have no idea what Tony Holohan posts on Twitter and I have never seen him make a guest apperance anywhere. The little I have seen of Twitter it struck me as more a magnet for every nut job on the planet to dump their often incohert rambling uncontested, rather than a discussion forum, and unlike some here I don`t have this person called Tony Holohan, who somehow has usurped the elected government and is making all decisions for some unknow reasons of his own, living rent free in my head 24/7.

Chief medical officers are civil servants, who like many other civil servants here and worldwide advise governments on everything under the sun, but the buck stops with the governments on whether they accept that advice or not or how they choose to act on it or not. Do you seriously believe that CMO`s such as Chris Whitty in England, Frank Atherton in Wales or Jaap van Dissel in the Netherlands etc. are now dictators running those countries. It`s a nonsense.None have the power to dictate anything. Same as the nonesense that Tony Holohan now rules Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Whats all this "Criteria" stuff ?

Tom Grange posted some readily available statistics which tend to show a scenario far outside what our much vaunted modellers and statisticians are basing their vastly over-regarded recommendations upon.

In spite of the ongoing messages to have us all behave like North Koreans on holliers,humans round these parts really do tend to rationalize stuff based upon their own needs and opinions.

What's wrong with that ?

So far,the only people with criterion regarding deaths are the NPHETers with their in-house modellers and forecasters,encouraged by wild eyed fanatics a lá Clare Byrne,Joe Duffy and Pat Kenny et al.

What's YOUR criteria then...nobody dies..ever ?

I'm lining up with Tom on this....Covid is a non-story...has been from the beginning,and will eventually become so spun-out that mass sanity will slowly return,perhaps demanding some retribution for the widespread emotional and physchological harm inflicted upon citizens Europewide !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

See, the vaccine worked really well against the original strain, and really well against Alpha. We kind of nearly had it beat. Then Delta came along and was so transmissible and virulent that it overwhelmed vaccines to an extent. Now Omicron.

Advertisement