Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Had a nip off the Aldi Samuels Bourbon just because Im using it for cooking, sauces etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Congratulations! To Isla! Presumabley named after Islay? 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Your absence was noted. Welcome back and more importantly congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Some of your old self might go but she will open up a different world for you. Nothing else will ever come close to it.

Like you said your enjoyment of a special whiskey is worth more than the few quid you might have made by selling it. The memory will last a lifetime but the money would disappear soon enough.

Don't leave it as long next time to check back in!

Alright yeah. Tastes like bourbon anyway. Sweet enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SteM

This is down to €50 in O'Briens at the moment if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Bottle kill 11/12/21. Opened 25/12/20.

Very nice, easy, mindless sipper, and good as a palate setting starter if you’re moving on to taste some others. The grumpy oul’ fart in me is not too gone on the new look. Instead of replacing it I got the Sexton instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johnny1x

if anybody likes Jameson Black Barrel or Roe & Coe Supervalu are currently selling them at €30 and €28 respectively

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

At €15 a throw (for now) it's way better than it needs to be. I'm a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭dobman88

Tyvm. I'm a black barrel fan but I'm still not sure it's worth the usual price of 50 quid when I can usually get RB12 and the likes for a tenner more. But at 30 quid it's a must have imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Bulleit Bourbon is €30 in Tesco at the moment. Usually €42-45. Well worth it.

Opened the Bunnahbhain Moine last night. Instantly reminded me of Lagavulin - a younger vintage. The nose was more muted than I thought but the taste was rich and beautiful. Smoky chocolate with liquorice. Finish was raisin fruity

Bushmills 2008 Muscatel Cask (56.4%)

Bushmills has the largest aged single malt stocks in Ireland but I don’t think they have always showcased that enough. However a recent brand refresh has seen an exciting number of releases planned in the next few years.

The 2008 Muscatel Cask was one of the first of these new releases as part of the Causeway Collection and was the first cask strength Bushmill release in over a decade.

For the Causeway Collection Helen Mulholland, Master Blender has been working for the past fifteen years exploring secondary maturation in different casks and at cask strength.

Tripled distilled and triple wooded the Muscatel release was first distilled in March 2008 and filled in a mixture of Olorroso sherry butts and bourbon barrels which was then aged for 8 years.

On St Patricks day 2016 these casks were then combined and filled into four deep red muscatel casks for a further four years. This willingness to give the whiskey the time it needs to be at its best is to be commended and it shows in the beautiful deep and rich rose gold colour.

Olorosso or Pedro Ximinez are amongst the most popular varieties used in sherry finished Irish whiskey but muscatel cask finishes aren’t as common. An Irish only exclusive of only 1454 bottles and it is non-chill filtered with no colour added.

As this is bottled at 56.4% an addition of a small amount of water really allows the flavours to come out. It also dulls a little bit of the harshness from the high abv.

Details and Tasting notes

Distillery – Bushmills

Region – Ireland

Type – Single Malt, Cask Strength, Muscatel finish

Cask – Olorroso sherry, Bourbon, Muscatel

Age – 12 years

ABV – 56.4%

Full bottle RRP – €100

Nose – Caramel biscuit malt, cherry blossom, tropical fruits, orange peel, sweet toffee apple 

Mouth – Tropical fruits, stewed apples, vanilla spice, nutella, grapes, dried fruit

Finish – A long finish. Dried fruits, Christmas cake

A great start to the Causeway Collection and I am looking forward in seeing where it goes in the next couple of years. I’m also glad to see a cask strength Bushmills for a change as I’ve always felt that their 16 and 21 year old whiskey would benefit from a higher abv than their current 40%. I would recommend getting a bottle or sample to try.

https://onlydrams.wordpress.com/2021/12/05/review-bushmills-2008-muscatel-cask-56-4/?preview=true

Having a bottle of 200 Fathoms from 2018 tonight from the good beer shelf. Absolutely gorgeous stout aged in Teeling whiskey casks for nine months. Teeling took the casks back and aged whiskey in them. I've read mixed review on that whiskey. Has anyone tried it?

A glass of Blacks 18 year old Rum Cask Finish. €590 a bottle in Celtic Whiskey. Good whiskey but not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A bit past the BB date on that stout Cazale, you sure it was OK? 😉

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yeah I tried it. Wasnt a fan. Too much chocolate, in a cheap stout sort of way.

I feel the same about the Fathoms aswell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I understand Silkie are going to do some kind of special Christmas release, if anyone's interested. I don't know if it's a cask finish or a cask strength or what but there's something in the works. I have a soft spot for them.

There's a good article on Malt Review where they talked about how they slated Silkie's early releases and had an awkward meeting with the staff involved at a show... But they then went back and re-tested their line-up and found them substantially improved. I always feel like criticism - as long as it's actually credible - can be incredibly constructive if taken the right way. https://malt-review.com/2020/06/30/the-silkie-whiskey-round-2/

Ah, it’s another smoky addition to their core range, released midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

That's good to know about the new silkie whiskey. I have had a few bottles from them and have enjoyed them. The dark silkie is a pleasant drink.

I know it's been mentioned here before but I like what they're doing with thier new distillery etc and will gladly support them over some more 'questionable' brands who just rebottle spirit with waffle and marketing tripe but no forthcoming new distillery behind them.

Post edited by conor678 on

• Advertisement

All sure that's just a suggestion. I've drank much worse 😂

I did a tasting with them before and they admitted themselves that the first batch wasn't what it should have been. I really like the way they approach things and have enjoyed their stuff. They seem to have a good distribution around the North west. I bought the missus a bottle of An Dúlamán Gin for Christmas.

I would recommend their An Dúlamán Santa Ana Armada Strength Gin. Aged in Rioja wine casks and bottled at 57%. It's a lovely gin to sip neat.

An Dúlman Gin with a big strip of dulce is one of the strangest and delicous gins I've ever had. It's definitely a love or hate thing.

Midnight Silkie sounds good but I've defintely now reached my limit for Christmas. Greenspot Leoville Barton and Redbreast Cask Strength arrived in the post yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dulse maybe. Dulce, would be grim. :)

Gonna try that myself now.

I've only ever had the original Dúlamán and it's a cracker. Have an unopened bottle here looking at me as I write.

The Santa Ana edition is being brought down to the in-laws in Sligo next week and will be sipped in the hot tub as I look out on Ben Bulben. Glorious.

The Red Silkie was also excellent - maybe not as unusual as the special edition gin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That barrel aged gin is really lovely.

I like these folk and what they are at.

Securities Commissioner Travis J. Iles entered an emergency cease and desist order to stop an illegal international whiskey investment scheme. The order names Whiskey & Wealth Club Limited, a firm based in England and Scotland, as well as its principals and sales agents. 

According to the order, Whiskey & Wealth Club is advertising the scheme through the internet – using a website, and promoting advertisements published in Reddit, and social media platforms such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and LinkedIn. It is also allegedly using other media to bolster its legitimacy, including various press releases and articles published in Forbes, Bloomberg, Yahoo Finance and Fox Business News. 

The pitch is simple: whiskey improves with age and investing in whiskey improves returns over time. Investors purchase casks of whiskey from foreign distilleries, store the whiskey in overseas facilities and then sell the whiskey for a profit. Whiskey & Wealth Club is touting the returns – claiming investors can earn between 12 and 20 percent annualized returns if investors hold their whiskey for at least three years and preferably five to 10 years. Whiskey & Wealth Club purportedly provides discounted brokerage services, permitting investors to liquidate their whiskey for a below-market fee.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/alternative-investor-whiskey-and-wealth-club-targets-24m-in-revenue-38432991.html

I have the misfortune of working the 25th and 26th so the next few days will be my Christmas. Starting off with this tasty cocktail made with Bulleit Bourbon.

Next up is some GlenDronach 21 Year Old Parliament. A whiskey made for Christmas full of rich sherry and dark fruits. Could nose it all night. Stunning colour. Spicy finish.

My friend who gave me the sample thinks the 18 is better though so I'm holding onto a little bit for a comparison tasting.

• Advertisement

Last one tonight is a glass of Blue Spot. I like it but as it's a cask strength pot still it's very spicy and very intense. A couple of drops of water mellows it out a bit which I think makes it the better dram.

Advertisement