Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Protection against transmission is the same as protection from being infected. There is no data there on how much being boosted reduces your chances of spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The articles I read use transmission to mean onward transmission, so distinct to infection. But either way...

If it doesnt transmit to you, and your boosted antibodies shut down infection... how are you going to spread it at same rate?

And then for those who do get infected:

"a third dose slashes viral loads by a factor of four, thereby restoring the vaccine’s effectiveness to what it was shortly after the second dose was administered."

Delta variant study - also unclear how long this boost is durable for.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/covid-booster-shot-reduces-viral-load-limits-transmission-israeli-study-finds-1.10224174

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And for the record, got the booster today in local GP - so 3rd Pfizer, 5 months since 2nd dose. Afaik have never had covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Yes I'll get the booster. Had 2 jabs of Pfizer in July, Will get a booster early January hopefully.

You can try. Its a matter of luck. Some are full already. Some focusing on priority patients. Some have slots.

Check your own GPs website for info is best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Unfortunately my GP dosen't have a website and it takes ages to get through to secretary.

If I don't get it tomorrow I'll try and organise something Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Nearly all the country is jabbed, now lining up for their third jab. In spite of that the mess is still here and appears to be still getting worse.

I think the threshold for the belief that vaccinating your way out of this pandemic has long past. The new restrictions this week target nothing but the services and amenities the vaccinated can avail of, you can try and pin that on the unvaxxed but making a constructive argument to prove that without invalidating the saviour belief in the vaccine will probably be an ask. The vaccine sure helps but it ain't solving anything in my opinion.

Every single adult I have known in the past two months that have contracted covid have been vaccinated, they have spread it onto their vaccinated family too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I just filled in an online form. 45, no relevant medical issues. Not sure if this goes for all/most pharmacies/GPs though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

You do realise there's a new variant in town?

You do realise that mutations occur and the slower we are to cutting the spread the more it'll mutate, yeah?

And all those friends you know who contracted Covid and were vax'd, most are still alive? High probability more dead than alive if they weren't.

But you probably know all that....🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You aren't going to over turn nearly 2 centuries of vaccination research and evidence because of a feeling in your waters.

Vaccines remain the greatest medical advancement in human history, up there with the invention of penicillin.

They have ended diseases that were killing 1 in a Hundred here within living memory each year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Equating or comparing previous vaccines and vaccine technology used to eradicate pretty much any previous decease/virus prior to covid 19 & the messenger rna vaccines predominantly used in covid vaccines is really like comparing apples to oranges. They are absolutely different.

The triggering immune response promised with mrna vaccines continues to be vastly overstated. They aren't near as effective as originally thought and absolutely will not end this pandemic alone in my opinion (I'm not a doctor, I can use my brain though to for critical thought).

Yes, a new variant that thus far proving more transmissible but far far less deadly. Just like what pretty much every other virus does.

Also you are assuming incorrectly, a family friend passed last week who was fully vaccinated but had a catalogue of existing pulmonary conditions so not entirely covid.

If I'm comparing my covid experience earlier this year when I was unvaxxed it was a light cold. Anyone I know who has been vaxxed and subsequently contracted covid seem to experience a much more diverse range of symptoms which also seems to last longer. This includes my own sister who is suffering what could probably medically be considered long covid in spite of the fact she was fully vaxxed two months by the time she and her boyfriend (who was also fully vaxxed) caught it.

Also if anyone is picking me up as anti vax you are wrong, I absolutely support vaccinations. What I don't support the current trend of not objectively looking at things and questioning things that don't appear to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Covid vaccines exceeded all expectations in effectiveness.

They blew the target out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in fairness they are the way out.

the current vaccines were never going to remove the possible need for some restrictions and nobody really said they would, rather people thought that was what was said as it was what they wanted to hear.

eventually vaccines will come on stream that will be more effective, or perhapse future strains will be a lot weaker.

either way we will get out of this and we are on the way out.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

f em who exactly? da gubament?

yeah, you not taking the booster which you have to wait i think 3 months to take anyway is really going to show da gubament.

good man, you stick it to da man and thankfully lose.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do you know how long it took to get us to the current state with other vaccines? The current COVID vaccines are a good start, but we have a long way to go. Nobody can give you any guarantees on this and there are no black and white answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There's more than just mRNA covid vaccines. How do those other ones preform compared to the mRNA ones?

The hate seems to be with mRNA vaccines for some reason.

Yes they are new, the technology isn't.

But what do people want, a lock down for years while vaccines are tested in different doses and different intervals to get the optimum efficacy years later and then oh there's a new variant, let's go test it all again for another few years?

I was supposed to que up today for my booster but I'm going back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Got mine this on Friday.

Was on waiting list with the pharmacy and got called on a cancellation. In and out in less than 5 minutes. For my first dose it took 2 hours!

Exactly 5 months since last dose. Originally got moderna. Had a sore arm and 24 hours of lethargy for back then.

This time got pfizer. No side effects apart from a slight feeling of discomfort where the jab went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Well, I'm double dosed,flu jab too, and got a virus that knocked me on my ass for the best part of 3 weeks,10 days of which all I could do was lay on the sofa, everything was so draining.. chest infection,tested twice for covid both negative... But the truth, nobody believed I could be 'that' bad, because I didn't have covid.

And I'm a mask wearer in work,and sanitizer.

Fcuk viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

There are a lot around at the moment - daughter in college has been constantly sick last few months. Chest infection at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭ongarite

Absolute mayhem here in Navan for first morning of 40s boosters. People here since 6am. Facility closed as it's full with hundreds in the Q outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Apparently mayhem out at Swords. Absolutely manic. Turning away those who are dumping their cars on the main road and walking up.

fairyhouse yesterday was approx 2 hrs wait. 10 registration desks with only 3 manned. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You do realise there's a new variant in town?

You do realise that boosters have been in play long before any new variant came along?

You do realise that mutations occur and the slower we are to cutting the spread the more it'll mutate, yeah?

You do realise that half the world hasn't been vaccinated, "yeah"? That means a huge pool of hosts where variants can arise. Never mind that if a mutation does arise in the vaccinated in an active disease with leaky vaccines it's as likely to be one that evades the vaccine. Basic selection pressure stuff going on. This virus is not going away any time soon I'm afraid, no matter how many are vaccinated or boosted. The current vaccines are very good in reducing serious illness and death, but they are too leaky and they don't reduce transmission nearly enough. They might be better regarded as a viral pretreatment to reduce the numbers of serious illness and death(which is fantastic), rather than a game changer vaccine like smallpox or polio where because of all sorts of reasons, vaccine strength being one, extinction of the virus in the wild was achieved or nearly achieved.

And all those friends you know who contracted Covid and were vax'd, most are still alive? High probability more dead than alive if they weren't.

This hysterical nonsense is almost as bad as the anti vaccination hysterical nonsense. No there is not a high probability that more would be dead than alive. Not even bloody close. Even among the over 80s, by far the most vulnerable and most likely to die from this pox, where the pre vaccine carnage was the most tragic, nine out of ten survived an active confirmed covid 19 infection. In those under fifty five out of ten thousand confirmed infections? Four would die* How in christ's name is that within an asses roar of "high probability of more dead than alive"?

*out of 493994 confirmed covid 19 infections in Ireland, 204 people tragically died. IE 0.04%.

But you probably know all that....🙄

I'd not be so quick to deploy the rolleyes smiley.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's really a case of it's all we have at this point for those most at risk. Otherwise it's lockdown time, which it may be anyway.

Lots getting it this morning, seems to be big queues everywhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The hate seems to be with mRNA vaccines for some reason.

Yes they are new, the technology isn't.

The principle behind them isn't but the technology is I'm afraid and actual human use is less than eighteen months old. The reason they are new, in that the covid vaccines are the first mRNA therapies licenced for use in humans, is that the majority of previous trials into other(and more lucrative) therapies had to be stopped because of problems with delivery of the mRNA or lack of efficacy or serious side effects in animal models. There is some sign of success with cancer therapies, but last time I looked they were still in phase 1 clinical trials. Moderna who were the poster boy for the technology and initially got lots of investment into this potential "magic bullet" medical tech, after over a decade's research hadn't a single commercial product until their covid 19 vaccine. They went into vaccine research even though it's usually not the most lucrative because it was safer and the lower doses and fewer of them would be less likely to cause side effects.

Now covid 19 could turn out to be the out of the blue happy accident game changer that makes mRNA tech feasible across all sorts of medical therapies and that would be great, but it's very much a new tech and nobody can claim that they're safe or indeed not safe long term after such short term data. The other problem is that in Ireland we have no choice in this matter. It's mRNA or nothing for boosters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Queues just mean queues! Quite a few walk-ins have been turning large numbers away.

I had the exact same experience. HSE rang me about my second test results wanting to discuss but I missed the call. Half an hour after missed call negative results came through so I have no idea what that call was about.

Anyway I thought I was dying. Took me ages to get my smell and taste back. 3 weeks of flu/chest infection. Can't believe it wasn't covid!

Am double dosed and flu jab too. Was supposed to queue up for booster this morning but the thoughts of it put me right off.

Since 6am? Jesus I'm glad I stayed in bed. I'm gonna try Christmas Eve morning.

The queues are madness so by all accounts. Free for all a joke.

• Advertisement

They do need a whole lot more organisation as they are almost photo ops of just how well the programme is going. It all looks like they just get a spot, open it up without a thought that half a town would descend on them!

Advertisement