Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

you need to look at the trends. It's all relative, you never will get exact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

how can you determine a trend unless you account/estimate for hidden variables?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Go to the investors relations part of their website and you will see occupancy rates.

its an indicator of availability and comparing to prior years shows supply is low

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The survey you posted put the cost differential between 2 and 17% with the average at 8%

Ive seen another survey that puts it between - 4 and 15%

The survey from reading it covered all home types including those glass boxes you see on room to improve. For the purpose of the relatively small houses we build in Ireland and the need for 1 and 2 bed units the cost would be closer to the lower end of that scale.

One gets the impression from those surveys that costs come down as more adopt the technology. This may offset the inflation and may push construction to less labour intensive practices

Majority of properties on daft are not from REITs. And majority of adds links to particular house/apartment. Reduction of those properties tells a lot about trends. How else you can better identify the trends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Wrong about what with respect to salaries?

I am saying that salaries would need to go up to justify the current housing situation but the overall cost of living must stay down at the same time (this obviously won't happen). I have said that those renting and working are ending up worse off financially each year since 2015/16 due to the rise in housing costs and general cost of living while salaries are not climbing as swiftly.

We are going to see salaries increase, and it looks like it is already starting to happen (anecdotal observation), but we won't have a clear picture until into next year as people typically have annual salary reviews that won't have been undertaken as of yet. This will fuel more inflation into next year in housing and cost of living, undoubtedly. At the same time, the State can only justify the current level of public spending (which of course is contributing to fuelling demand for housing) because of the pandemic. But the pandemic will end and there is nothing to replace the State at the same level. That's where it all cools down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If you are letting a 1 bed apartment at more than 2k pm or a 2 bed at more than 2.5k pm, then you are effectively holding it vacant as this isn't affordable unless corporates take the leases and in that case then they are hardly what would be considered "available". As such, I would even run daft searches filtering out 1 beds at 2.1k+ pm, 2 beds at 2.6k+ pm and 3 beds at 3.1k pm to show a more realistic number as to what is actually available to rent. Even at that many would debate whether those thresholds are too high. But that will show the number of realistically available rentals is far under what the headline figure shows, even factoring in there could be multiple dwellings under one ad.

Effectively you have KW, Greystar etc. setting rents so high in order to keep them vacant as they know there is little demand for the places at those prices. It is wild west stuff.

1 why would there be no revenue? I recall back in the early 00's families paying more in rent on a council house than what it would cost to rent a better private house in a percieved better area. Security of tenure being far more valuable to them

Revenue positive might be a stretch, but the situation would be markedly better than forking out billions to foreign investors every year. With social affordable the money stays in our economy to be recycled

2. Do you think the private sector would reduce output pro rata if the state ramped up building their own supply. Initially I suspect the private sector would ramp up their output so that they could get theirs built and sold before the states supply comes on stream.

State and private developers would be serving separate markets

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Of the state starts to build it will suck construction workers from private developers. Sub contractors into private developers will price both and take a he most profitable. There may be some extra labour diverted from commercial building, but in the he main you have a fixed size construction industry. They either build for private developers or build state getto's

Slava Ukrainii

We are pulling workers from many different countries for many different sectors. We are not the first country in the world to suffer a lack of required skills. There are tried and testedsolutions

We are hopeless at teaching foreign language yet jobs requiring such skills are created all the time

Many countries in Europe are struggling and would have spare capacity we could tap into

There are also more methods and materials used to build housing that require less labour

• Advertisement

In respect to salary, I only commented about your wrong assumption about actual salary in itself: "but not expect salaries to continue to go up"

1. Rents are already high, are you saying council houses will be able to prop-up even more? What's the point than, to get more from middle class that pay high rents already. Do you have any link showing that families paid more for council housing, than for private? It's abit difficult to believe, although I was not living here in Ireland back than, so have no idea about council rental back than.
    2. Private builders are chasing the profits, and who provides better conditions. If public sector will provide better profits/conditions they would move to public sector projects. "State and private developers would be serving separate markets" - this will not happen, and if it would start quickly to move that way further from Market economy, I would expect a total disaster.

1 was in response to your claim that there would be no revenue from social housing. Most people in social housing do work and pay, the payment was linked to there earnings.

The cases where families were paying more to the council than private rental were in Limerick and personal observations, I do believe it was highlighted in the media but can't source it now. Far more likely to occur in lower cost locations. This thread can be a bit Dublin centric

The cases I was familiar with, the houses were 30/40 years old so were built for a pittance. Therefore social/affordable housing has moved from being a national asset to being an ongoing liability under ffg governments in the period of the nation's greatest wealth. That is some own goal

2 you now as well as I do that there are less labour intensive methods of building homes.

Upto September this year there were 10,000 construction workers on pup. This was 6 months into full reopening of construction.

Did you expect the total disaster of the Celtic tiger housing market and would it be pure luck that there was no such disaster when the state was developing its own housing prior to Celtic tiger policies.

Health/housing and education need state intervention as the market economy cannot meet demand. The intervention should be positive by increasing supply rather than demand side policies that increase price

what was the reason for 10,000 construction workers on PUP payments in September?

Did they have covid or were they a close contact or was it that there work needed to be undertaken indoors where they were unable to social distance?

can’t help to think that there was a % of pup recipients that were claiming PUP at the same time as working for cash. No idea how big an issue this was but it did result in Garda setting up check points to target this fraud.

1. When you said positive revenue, I think you meant a profit. There would be no profit from Council housing. Council housing can have it's own pros and cons, but it would be tax payer who would cover the costs.
    2. In 2007 I didn't know if there would be crash, but I did see housing market as sort of bubble in that times. As I do see Tech stock market in sort of the bubble territory today. I would not predict if there will be a crash next year, but to my believes the chances of crash in stock market is much greater than in Irish Property Market.

1 the point I was making is that building our own is far cheaper and has the potential to be revenue positive

Imagine you had an asset built in the 60/70's and your charging rent levels for the noughties in an environment of full employment, even in a council environment it would difficult to make a loss

I'm not saying that will happen straight away if we start ramping up construction, but with a bit of luck, that may well be the situation when the pension crisis hits

Instead we are entering inflation adjusted long term leases that even protect investors from depreciation

Tax payer covers the cost either way. Current system fleeces the buyer in the purchase of their own home and in the highest cost method of social housing provision.

The state building their own stock would ease the burden through cooling house price inflation and significantly lower cost social/affordable housing provision.

2. The best way to ease the hurt of a crash is to implement policies that avert a bubble. If all state intervention is on the demand side a bubble is inevitable

1. If it's build to high standards it may not be cheaper, and could be more expensive. You may tend to exclude land price for council housing, but that's wrong way of looking, as land has a very high value.
    2. There is multiple policies that currently prevents from bubble, one of the main is LTI limit. And not everything goes to demand side only, most things working to both sides of equation. We can clearly see that construction are ramping up.

1 higher standards = between 2 and up to 8% average higher costs. Bulk buying for larger projects may offset some of these potential increases and with the savings throughout the lifetime of the house it's a no brainer.

Where am I excluding land costs, and if the state has its own land idle what benefits are accrued from having it idle. Could they not put it to use to reduce outgoings elsewhere

2 Lti is a central bank induced measure overseen by the ECB. Government policy has been to undermine and circumvent it.

Can you give me 1 meaningful supply side measure implemented by government in the past 13 years?

I don't know where do you get this 2-8 percent, so wouldn't count on it. Land equally can be sold, private residential projects approved, and there would be a buildings popping up.

There are some new measures made that impact supply side. It's legislation for REIT's introduced in 2013, Help2Buy, and etc. We see supplies are ramping up for various reasons. But in overall the main reason currently is due to price increase. Builders as any other private companies are chasing the profits.

2 to 8 % discussed Friday from a survey. Land has been sitting idle for years nothing done. More land has been sold to developers/investment funds and they have sat on it knowing that the system put no punitive measures if it were not used and will almost guarantee price appreciation

Of course developers are chasing profits, they are also one of the strongest lobby groups in the country. They are running rings around the government and every scheme they dream up becomes government policy.

These schemess maximise their profit, keep them in control of supply and citizens that rent or need to buy pay the price plus taxpayers have to pay for what must be the most expensive social/affordable schemes.

I understand why you are unable to identify one meaningful supply measure. Oddly an affordability crisis is being dealt with by multiple measure that all increase price. You know who's running the show when you see the results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

This article is from mid 2000. Its scary how it could could have been written 5 years ago if you take the figures out of it

This time its different, you know

Labour is available, if non-citizens are given the right to work. Land is available, if the fractured powers of different departments and local authorities can be pulled together in a radically different way.

The NESC report indicates that in future housing will be possible only for the wealthiest members of society, and for the most damaged. The good news is that public opinion must turn within the next year because it finds the situation intolerable. The bad news is this will only happen because the problem of accommodation is about to rock us sheltered middle classes, too.

Experiences of renter's throughout the country.

Dual income households in receipt of HAP as the rent is so high for substandard accomodation

Couple earning combined 80k trapped renting in basic accomodation

Things have been made very easy for those developers/investment funds "chasing profits"

I don't know of what survey you are talking. But high quality homes can definitely cost over 10% in price versus low quality.

Nothing valuable is free. Whatever way you are looking, if you handing something valuable for free there is lost revenue. some particular group of people would get handed "free" land, while others should compete with reduced supplies.

Building may go up even faster if government sells that residential to private sector, than trying to develop themselves. Developers run on full or close to full capacity already. You may think that there are no jobs for those 10,000 PUP builders, but the real reason why they are on PUP could be very different.

Survey discussed Friday if you wish to have a look

Something valuable thats left idle or unused is lost potential revenue every year. It may also incur maintenence and security costs

What was the purpose of NAMA and how come so much of the land they sold to the private sector ended up being hoarded. It does not bode well for the theory that selling more land to developers will speed up supply of homes.

Regardless of the reasons the state is paying builders to be idle and selling land to hoarders

Hardly the actions of a government that is concerned of the plight of people seeking homes that they can pay for

Where are you getting your 10k construction workers on pup from?

the lattest from the cso is

My quote

Upto September this year there were 10,000 construction workers on pup. This was 6 months into full reopening of construction.

From an article in written 27/09/21

The Department of Social Protection is facing a political backlash over the admission that more than 10,000 construction workers are still in receipt of PUP – five months after building sites reopened.

Thanks for the current figures

If you were in work and had covid or were a close contact you received a different payment.

PUP is exclusively for people where work has stopped. I've worked on site throughout the pandemic in manafacturing. We had a brief period on ewss, which covered reduced hours but that ended quickly as demand increased. No such facility has closed that I'm aware of.

Looks like those road blocks proved effective

The passive house article doesn't speak about typical low quality costs vs high quality cost properties. It's rather discuss passive house costs. In real world the high quality vs low quality properties price difference can be significant.

Which land you are talking that NAMA sold, and now is hoarded? If it's really hoarded it would be better tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

This seems really significant. 1,000 properties is not a huge amount but given there are only 11149 listed on myhome, it's close to 10% of available supply. Y guess is most will be sold on to institutions but I guess wait and see.

Is this the start of the great real estate unwind?

Advertisement