Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So people livelihoods for a few weeks is more important than kids education for a few weeks. (I know most people see the closing time for pubs and think it only effects drinkers, never thinking about the employee's)

But if you decide to close schools, so people can go drinking, what message does that send? Also, those kids parents need to be taking time off work to mind them. Not everyone can't work from home and even those that could, can't work while trying to educate and look after their kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - once again thread has gone wildly off topic and posts that belong in the CT forum are here, all over this thread and others.

Posters pushing blatant conspiracy nonsense are already being banned from this forum and will continue to be. There's been tons of mod warnings, all ignored.

Great reset, vaccine conspiracy, follow the money etc all belong in the CT forum

https://www.boards.ie/categories/conspiracy-theories

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

We weren't allowed travel by plane until July 19th or eat indoors until August. Festivals were never allowed despite the young being vaccinated *and* not being at risk.

We got vaccinated and now boosted and we're locked down both summer and winter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The fact we are not told this, undermines pretty much every other statistic for me. Its basic and not a big number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Will there be a level 5 lockdown post Christmas?

Also I am hesitant about getting the booster jab if another vaccine specifically tweaked to protect against Omicron is already being developed and is likely to be deployed within months.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

Is the new virus extremely dangerous?

the government and many people like yourself say yes, well then every day we wait to shut schools and all other truly non essential business then we are killing people for no other reason but selfishness.

we are all in this together, we need a complete lockdown for at least 3 months with the suspension of all wages and household expenses, all households to receive 250 per household member weekly from government to feed themselves

we can do this, we can stop the virus but we must be truly in this together, no more discrimination between the powerful and the weak , between the public and private sector

also we need to start a conversation about real inequality, we have to increase all taxes to make sure we Can end inequality, higher levels of taxes on income and gains and inheritance must be hitting 75% plus , we are all in this together

come on Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 32,582 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Those restrictions in the Netherlands are pretty tough...I could imagine the reaction here if they shut down non essential retail in the run up to Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This is getting alarming whatever side of the argument people are on. I'm sensing the 8pm closing is going to be just the start. Countries with far more efficient health service systems taking drastic action.

I'm beginning to think once Christmas week over we're heading for the dreaded level 5, hope I'm wrong.

Hard to believe its only 3 weeks since we even heard of Omicron.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I see Nolan and Colm Henry are quoted in the Independent this morning making more "scary" predictions of the hospitals potentially being overwhelmed in weeks and a "senior government source" saying that more that more restrictions may need to be agreed before the end of the year.

Few things here..

- Congrats to everyone who predicted this weeks and months ago, not that it was much of a stretch. It's December 2020 all over again. The latest (ridiculous) restrictions haven't even kicked in yet, and the media are already preparing the country for the next phase : the full return of lockdowns in January.

- Why is Nolan making "dire" predictions again anyway in the press? Weren't his band of fortune tellers (with the associated accuracy and reliability that comes with that sort) supposed to be staying out of the media?

- Why is whatever regulator not getting involved here in what is blatant scaremongering and rampant speculation in a top headline pushed out to people (if you have notifications on) at 7am on a Sunday morning? There's no problem decrying "fake news" when the speculation is in a media outlet they don't like, but if it's in the Independent or Irish Times it's grand eh?

So what have we learned?

- Vaccines and boosters are apparently pointless. They make no difference to the national "strategy" (and I use that term loosely) for dealing with Covid nor how those who've gotten them can live their lives vs anyone who hasn't.

- Despite supposed annoyance in Government over NPHET's grandstanding in the media and trying to force the Cabinet's hand in advance of decisions, nothing has changed - which also lends credence to the suggestions here that it's all just a carefully choreographed PR game by both to manipulate the population and absolve both sides of responsibility.

- The "emergency" powers that were yet again rubber stamped for extension until April will be fully utilised when Micheal appears before New Year's eve to bounce the country into full restrictions/lockdown - again!

- None of this is a surprise of course. Anyone who has been following this for the last 18 months without the hysteria and some knowledge of the personalities involved will have seen this coming as I said earlier. The next phase of course will be the fearful/compliant taking to social media to defend the decision because "de variant" and attacking anyone with a hint of objectivity on the subject. It's so predictable - or if you prefer a Battlestar Galactica quote : "all of this has happened before, and it will happen again!"

Personally, my only question to the audience is this...

At what point will we say enough is enough and demand our country and more importantly our lives and freedoms back? Will we have to wait until everyone loses their jobs or has a breakdown (not an exaggeration - the mental health effects of all this are huge) or has a close family member that has suffered these things before they start asking questions?

Covid simply is not the deadly rampant killer it was (reasonably at the time) feared to be in March 2020. It's potentially dangerous to the elderly, the infirm, and the immunocompromised (but even then it's far from a certain death sentence), but the overwhelming majority of people in this country are at little to no risk from it as has been evidenced by the numbers - and that's before the effects of the vaccinations are included!

How long are we going to allow the failings of the HSE and those running it to be used to dictate and restrict social behaviour in this country - because that's what is happening here. The hospitals are ALWAYS "on the verge of collapse" at this time of year, and no amount of money seems able to fix that (because this is Ireland - institutionally inept, wasteful and unaccountable to the public).

Basically folks.. How much is enough? How much longer are you prepared to live like this? Years? Decades? Because that's the road we're sleepwalking ourselves down, where any minor illness or "threat" can be used to strip freedoms and public discourse overnight.

30/40 years ago we would have smugly attacked regimes in the East for this stuff. Now we're not just embracing it ourselves, we're cheering it on!

All good observations but the Gagging order didn't last too long when MM and Leo needed cover, the spectle of the CMO in attendance at Fridays news conference proved that, the sudden love fest between Tony & Leo was vomit enducing.

I said it before, there was a coordinated approach to this, beggers belief these restrictions were not discussed last Tuesday, all they had to do was iron out was how to make each look good, 5pm or 8pm. CMO has never attended these after restrictions announcement press conferences.

Phase two has commenced, NPHET members out doing interviews over the weekend.

Personally I predicted 2022 as the year to return to normal, perhaps even that was ambitious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nolan’s appearance in the media is in defence of the models, which, surprise surprise, are not getting the acclaim he feels they deserve. What has become apparent in the face of Omicron is that the tools cupboard is absolutely threadbare. Once it was vaccines that were going to solve the problem, now it looks like there is absolutely nothing apart from just boosting until pharma makes better vaccines.  I wouldn't pay too much heed to Henry and the CMO, we have got to the point where we no longer listen to any of them.  I don't think there is the same fear of COVID as there has been even if this continued gloom has affected some people very badly.

Ultimately, it's the lack of a way out that really frustrates people. They can cheerfully predict things that can't be ruled out but there is no sense that they have any other ideas. My own idea, with the season that's in it and the New Year coming, is to vax the world ASAP.   I'd also like to see the same kind of money thrown at research into the virus as Project Warp Speed managed.

Is there an actual point to you sharing this? People who lose children never forget them and are inclined to talk about it. It's part of the lifelong healing. It is often said to be the worst thing that can happen in your life to bury a child.

Why is using his own very personal loss in the same interview where he discusses covid restrictions

if you feel upset at anyone it should be at Martin

It strikes me this is more about your own grievances with him TBH. It has influenced who he is although being a worrywart and incapable of being anyway decisive is more to the fore here.

To be fair it was a wide ranging interview with a personal element. I'm certainly not a defender of MM or this appalling government but honestly, bringing personal tradegy into this discussion is not appropriate. I truely understand people's frustrations but just feel this should be left out of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agreed, but I think the point may be that Martin's personal loss may be affecting his decision making at policy levels.

A bit like how Holohan's similar tragic loss last year likely affected him/his.

As sad as these events are though, if they are impacting on decisions affecting the entire country then the individuals involved should step aside really.

You write - Bringing personal tragedy into this discussion is not appropriate

and you are correct Martin should not doing an interview like this. He will regret this in time to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

People are too busy sharing footage of some unwell lad on a Ryanair flight for the purposes of sneering to take their time to read and disseminate that

That’s not true

if he wants to do an interview about his own personal losses I have no problem, but to link that discussion to how he is performing in his role is sad

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

There would be no reaction here besides the usual whingers ringing Joe Duffy or the usual internet warrior reactions. Irish people are very happy following restrictions thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The reality here is that the restrictions being reintroduced aren't a reaction to the danger posed by the virus itself but rather the health service's ability to deal with the extra numbers that will need to be dealt with.

This is not a virus of the unvaccinated as the government and media have been at pains to describe it. It is much more simple than that, what we're seeing is an attempt by government to dress up the failings of our health service as the failings of the people when in reality those failings have only one owner, the government (and successive previous governments).

Our rate of vaccination is the envy of most countries and yet here we are, struggling to deal with the situation as it exists. The world and his wife knew winter in Ireland is an ideal breeding ground for and respiratory tract infection and yet no action was taken to mitigate against the inevitable rise in cases beyond attempting to vaccinate our way out of the situation.

We're learning now that the vaccines have a limited window of protection, the vaccines were only brought to market this year and had many unknowns attached to them in yet our elected officials and their pals in NEPHT bet the farm on vaccines being the only show in town. Now that everything has gone to hell its the fault of the few people who haven't been vaccinated, to be fair they got invested in that narrative early doors, just to be safe.

If we do go into lockdown in January again, the next phase will be to double down on persisting with the unsuccessful vaccination program. Schools closing will result in children only being allowed to return with a Covid vaccination cert, many see that as far fetched but the rhetoric is changing and the attitude towards the unvaccinated is becoming more and more punitive.

2022 will not see restrictions relaxed without vaccination. In the same way that the small number of unvaccinated people are being blamed for this current crisis, the inevitable decline in numbers that comes with the passing of winter will be attributed to those who are vaccinated. Neither narrative is true, both are lies but they're spun just enough to fool the average eejit in the street and that's all that matters because as long as the blame stays away from our politicians, that's all that matters.

Glazers Out!

OK fair enough but this end of year interview happens all of the time with serving Taoiseach a wide range of topics discussed including those of a personal nature. It's not the first time he's discussed this personal Tradegy, it has no bearing on his more recent decisions, which I'm not defending, just unfortunate this particular subject has to be thrown into a Boards discussion particularly with a few days to Christmas.

I'm especially thinking of those on here who may have had a similar tradegy.

Why are you linking my posts to some kind of attack on people who have had similar losses

are you a monster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Very interesting that that interview comes out the very next day after a controversial decision/speech. An attempt to soften his image?

I'm not linking your posts to anything actually, your clearly agitated by MM and seem to think highlighting one aspect of a wide ranging interview involving personal tragedy is appropriate, I don't and if that makes me seem like an insensitive monster so be it.

I've absolutely not defended MM generally and will continue to be critical of government policy but have not felt the need to search the gutter to do so.

It's not interesting, it's an annual interview done by serving Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Well said!

Fantastic post, I am personally amazed that even with 94% of adults vaccinated we are going into a worse situation than we were in a year ago.

Advertisement