Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Findlk

So got a call back from the same person to be told they can't go ahead with the install as there is no pole there yet!! I asked when the pole to be put in, they don't know....... Waiting on a supervisor to call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

An interesting thing, it seems that Eir has passed more houses in the IA without any payment than NBI has since NBI started. 45k v35 k

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FunkyFresh

If this is KN, I wish you the very best of luck. Put an order in for some Rogaine, you'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nothing interesting about. They just ran a small bit up the road from where they left off. Areas they weren't bothered doing until the IA was invented and NBP was a competitor. Sham of a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not really they had to get maximum bang for there buck as they had a limited time frame. Did they deliberately leave areas that they could develop into later, I expect so.

The funny thing is that when they went into receivership the government could have bought them back for 1.6-1.8 billion. 2 billion with that would that would have solved BB. Eir is probably worth 4 billion now.

Sham of a company not really like any private enterprise they are maximising there worth. They have will give BB to more house than NBI and will not be paid a penny for it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Update from my side, kn meant to call yesterday but never showed up, a few phone calls and we were first priority this morning, lads came around half 9 and had it running about half one, wired the Xbox series x up to it and did a speed run, 1098mb download which compared to the old 1.4mb is some jump, downloaded a game that's 102gb and finished in 20-25 minutes which is crazy,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I often wonder what really is the incentive for Eir to bother with rolling out into areas already marked under the IA?

Like for example my estate is FTTC but due to distance, max speeds are ~13Mb. So people will either pay for that service (same cost as what FTTH people pay) OR some people who investigate/lucky enough to be able to get it, will sign up to a Wisp or pay extra for Starlink.

I suppose the more WISP/Starlink type connections in these sort of areas may give Eir a kick up the arse, but outside of that, if people are already paying 35 quid a month for **** DSL speeds, why would they even bother investing money to roll out FTTH instead?

What do OpenEir gain by this? Getting in ahead of the NBI so in 6 years time ISPs will pay NBI instead of Open Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

15k of that 45k are FTTC which likely were already passed before the NBP map was finalised. Something seems to have gone wrong with the mapping where premises were included that should not have been. We saw one of the first people connected here to NBI already had a 90Mb FTTC connection.

Of the remaining 30k eir FTTH, the vast majority are likely urban or semi-urban that are being picked up by their IFN build. Some would also be part of their estate fibre programme where they will cable new build estates.

There is no evidence that I have seen that eir are extending their 340k rural build on any sort of large scale to take in new premises.

Post edited by NBAiii on

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Where can I get an estimate of speed with a fiber to the cabinet or where can I check for the cabinet online?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Used to be able to check with eir. But speeds drop fast as you go away from the cabinet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

That's good news! What provider are you with? Other posters have mentioned around a 550Mbps down on a 500Mbps package and around 800Mbps down on 1Gbps. That's the first post I recall seeing where a 1Gbps package exceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

KN came along this afternoon to do my installation. They ran into a bit of a problem with a blockage in the duct but a separate team came along to sort it out. Took about 2 hours all in and all is good.

Looks like a good few in the area are getting connected with teams in the area every day since the start of the month.

I can see NBI ramping up the rollout next year with the knowledge they have gained from the first few IAs. Hopefully for those of you waiting the plan will get back on schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

1028Mbps is probably overreported unless NBI are overprovisioning (possible as they do apparently have 10Gbps capable equipment) AND the poster has 10Gbps capable NIC and router (again theoretically possible but unlikely).

Speedtests can over-report, I've seen 1.1Gbps on Fast.com on SIRO which I know is wrong as I only have a 1Gbps NIC and Router. Ookla tops out at around 940Mbps which seems more accurate accounting for overhead.

Edit: Xbox Series X NIC is only 1Gbps so definitely not correct speed test if done on that. The time to download the 102Gb game is more like 600Mbps, still very good but not >1Gbps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

This doesn't sound great. Also first mention of the rollout timeline being officially extended to 7.5 years.

Bizarrely mentions the Gardai are involved as someone is going around cutting down new NBI poles.

Anyone able to post the full article? Behind a pay wall unfortunately.

That's what came up, yeah I'd say I'd never reach that but interesting to see

Eir I went with, I know it's not a popular choice but I've never had an issue

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I often wonder what really is the incentive for Eir to bother with rolling out into areas already marked under the IA?

They want to retire the copper network. In order to do that, they're going to have to convince the regulator that fibre is ubiquitous, so they're incentivised to build out their urban network. The rural, not so much.

Also, I'm pretty sure NBI are overprovisioning. This is to pre-empt the inevitable whining about "not seeing full speed" from people who don't understand protocol overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

I got an update email this morning saying estimated installation Jan 2023 to Dec 2024. Also says survey underway. Kanturk / Newmarket area Cork. Have seen NBI vans around other the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Got an NBI update today saying area changed from survey to build.

Previous connection estimate last September was May 22 - Jul 22. Now its pushed to October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Got an email today with an update saying 2026 lol atleast it’s better than not knowing

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

4 month delay? That all? We live in relatively populous rural area of SE and last I looked it up, 2025/26 was the projected date. In truth, I don't think it'll ever happen here with NBI and the whole sorry scheme will be found to be a scandalous waste of public money and wound up to save further costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bdogg

Has anyone here managed to pre-order in November 2021 with Vodafone?

Long story short - Preorder went in November... no confirmation emails or texts... called Vodafone back 1st of Dec when service went live... promised me they'd get an appointment booked in.... 21st Dec (and several phonecalls later) and Vodafone still haven't booked me in.

Rang Eir and they had an installation appointment for me in 2 days. Looks like I'll be switching providers to Eir on Jan 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The way the County Council's are carrying on it all of this appears to be going under the radar a bit. Impossible to deal with at the best of times. I for one think that a project of such financial value and national importance shouldn't be dictated by the location of poles or their visual impact. They are poles ffs. The deals it causes under grounding the cables are substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

A bit like Irish Water 🙄

We seem incapable of running anything in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Changes from the map since 15th October, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

At least Irish Water had some sense behind it - a very reasonable payment for supplies of water and disposal of crap. Shooting that down was a significant self inflicted wound. When you hear the hoi polloi now giving out about shite in their waters where they want to go sea swimming or boil water notices, I have a chuckle. Talk about being led up the garden path.

Just got an email stating " jan2025 - dec2026"........ I'm a realist so very much doubt this'll happen in this decade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Tipp DA - Just went from "network build in progress" -> "Available for pre-order"

• Advertisement

Advertisement