Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 with good salary and deposit, should I buy an apartment or house?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Paddyg96 wrote: »
    I'm 24, living with my parents currently in the countryside. I am very lucky to make a high income through an online business (low to mid 6 figures) and have about 100k saved for a house deposit.

Everyone tells me to buy a house. I am not tied to anywhere, so I want to buy somewhere I'll enjoy living in in the short-term but also something that will appreciate.

I've lived in Dublin before and have friends there so it's obviously at the forefront of my mind.

Is buying a 2-bed apartment in the 300k-500k range a good idea? My thought process is it would be low maintenance, good for living in in my 20s and if I needed to move out I could sell or rent out pretty easily.

My alternatives would be to buy a house in the suburbs or maybe even a house somewhere else (Kildare, wicklow, wexford)....as I said I can literally work from anywhere so I want to get good value for my money and buy somewhere where house prices are rising.

Part of me wonders if Dublin is worth it, considering there's nothing tying me to there. I'm a bit all over the place as you can probably tell so would love any insight or thoughts! :)

fair dues... hope you're paying all the relevant taxes on that income

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Absolutely fair play to you but I have to ask, has a bank given you approval in principle yet ? When I was 25 I was in a similar position minus the savings but due to being self employed the bank barely offered me enough to buy a parking space. Im talking 1.5x multipliers here. Check to see will somebody loan you the money before choosing a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

In Ireland I'd buy a house. I've lived abroad in a few countries the last 15 years and I wouldn't mind buying an apt in those countries as they are actually built properly. Here in Ireland they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Paddyg96 wrote: »
    Revealing would probably identify me, so DM if you'd like to chat. Thanks for the advice, I'm living in the country now. Where do you think is nice? I'm just a little worried it would be quite isolating.

Took me about 11 seconds to find out by looking at your boards account btw!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I remember that IRM TV thread from a few years, happy to hear everything worked out for you.

I'd say go for an apartment in your circumstances and enjoy the lifestyle for a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Work to live, dont live to work.

Buy a property somewhere you will enjoy it. You can always sell up and buy a quiet family home later in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you've a good online business you must have to do tax returns, talk to your accountant. You can set up a good pension fund to buy you an apartment or house... Look at how you can retire early or set yourself up in case anything changes. Google Ireland finchale advisor.

If I was you I'd buy where I know. Look at some point your parents will be old or you'll settle down and have kids. Being close to home is a big help. But hey you are in your 20's so no need to go that far. Where are your friends in Dublin, I used to live in Ballinteer decent quality apartments lots to do easy to get into town or onto the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Definitely a house. The quality of your apartment living is determined by the financial well being of your neighbours and whether they bother to pay their fees or not.

Definitely a house if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

lets say you save 20-30k, in a years time prices could go up 10 per cent.so if you can afford to buy a 2 bed house/ apartment buy one.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-5-spencer-street-north-north-strand/3143601

this would be a good investment.
    you can pay a company to take care of maintenance .
    it would be less than the cost of service charges on an apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Nermal

I remember that IRM TV thread from a few years, happy to hear everything worked out for you.

If a YouTube channel devoted to 'Irish Rap & Grime' made you this money, the only honourable thing to do would be to buy a property in an area that produces lots of this culture. Your money will go a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well done at such a young age, would have never imagined a channel like that could be so lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Pointless saving when house prices are rising , the maintainence on a 2 bed house is less than 2k,
    Most apartments have to 2k service charges and you may have
    To pay extra for a parking space if you buy near the city centre area
    You save 10k prices rise by 14k on a 300k house on average at the moment
    Buy near bus, luas services is always good idea even if u have
    a car

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Paddyg96

I barely made a cent off that channel! It's another venture, but appreciate the kind words :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭J_1980

Right now apartments offer better vfm than most houses tbh.

loads of grand canal places are at same prices they were in 2017, talking about the high quality ones (hanover, forbes quay, gasworks). Make sure you buy a B rated apartment, where the whole block more or less has B/c1 ratings at least. Individually refurbished B rated apartments where most of the block has no insulation (C3-E rates) can still be very cold (get proof of works done, windows and wall insulation if you still want it). Imo most mid level apartments habe too good ratings. Speaking out of experience.

houses only buy newbuilds (A rated) or total ruins that need a retrofit anyway. Ireland in the past was mostly either a very poor country or full of cowboy builders (till 2010), and build quality is accordingly. So many horror stories of C rated houses that hardly get above 19 degrees in winter and mould behind wardrobes etc. This wouldn’t be an issue (ie easy to fix) if prices weren’t that bid up.

If your earning is not tied to a location, think outside ireland. Or just save it. You are competinf with housing charities and social housing. When the government largesse stops house prices will plummet

Property in Ireland is not expensive vs comparable countries (Germany, netherlands, denmark, UK).

irish people are just moaners who behave like spoilt children and want everything for free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What is the business? I'm going to guess "dancing in the nip for oul' fellas on onlyfans"

Your earning at that level might only have a lifespan of a few years OP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Is low to mid 6 figures 100-500k or do you mean 100-150k, big difference. If the former why do you only have 100k saved, if the latter then depends on where you want to live as lots of the nicer areas in Dublin will be out of reach unless you go for an apartment.

Poland and Hungary have much lower salaries than Ireland. Greece too.

spain has abysmal building standards and homes don't need/ have any insulation. Plus it’s very dry so it doesn’t really matter. Median income in Spain is almost half of Ireland’s.

none of these are remotely comparable.

why not compare Irish house prices to Albania and Moldova while we’re at it.

the so called “housing crisis” is largely an entitlement crisis…

• Advertisement

I’m making about 300k per year, i have 140k in cash, lots invested in stocks, lots paid to revenue.

I am very aware it might not last forever, it also could double or triple from here, I’m in a volatile industry. I’ve hired employees and built out a quite stable model though.

Haha

im a bit cautious of doxing myself, but a detective wouldn’t have too hard of a time anyway.

It’s a consulting business. feel free to dm and I’ll share

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah no. Don't doxx yourself. Value your anonymity. Don't make the same mistake I did and sign up to online accounts using your actual name. It can cause hassle later on when you get elected.

Fair play on the business though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ok that's a different story then, if you can demonstrate those earnings over a 3 year period then you can borrow up to 1m say. Im not suggesting you do that, but at least its there.

An apartment may suit best at the moment but the reality is you will end up buying a house at some point, so if you can skip a step right now why not do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont understand this advice.

Unless you think prices are going to drop over the next 5 years buy now and have a 5 year mortgage rather than wait 5 years and then buy for cash!

The interest over 5 years will be less than the house increase and/or rent and you are making sod all on that money in the bank anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nothing wrong with buying an apartment, quality of build and location are what's important

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This x100. Some people above are making out that apartments are uniformly terribly built and houses are all built palatially.

In reality, there's lots of good and bad in both. There's G rated houses that you couldn't swing a cat in, and there's A rated penthouse apartments with tonnes of space. Focus on build quality and location, and don't take an absolutist view on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Nobody I know who bought an apartment in the boom is sorry they did at this point. They all either have assets to sell or a home with no rent to pay.

For a few years after the crash though some were very sorry they had bought anything, apartment or house, but then roll on a few years it turned out anyone who bought property, even just before the crash, was actually better off than those of us who didnt.

I would be advising anyone now to get out of the rising rent trap and buy even a 1 bed apartment as soon as you can afford to buy.

At least that way you are not at the mercy of rents, and have somewhere to live and the mortgage is paying off your own property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I dont agree with this at all, I was in a similar situation to the OP back in 2006, bought an apartment at near peak costs, 5 Years later in 2010 it was worth nearly 40% less than what i paid. During this timeframe my requirements changed (baby) and i needed to move out of an apartment that was in negative equity and purchase a larger home. I eventually accomplished this,but it caused a lot of unwanted headaches, and like a lot of people i became an accidental landlord for a long period of time before ultimately selling it 4 years ago at less than what i paid for it. I lost roughly 40k on the sale, after paying the mortgage on it for over 10 years. My story is not unique either. The last few years have seen a huge increase in rent, but who's to say that will continue and we are not in a housing bubble.

As others have also said OP, if you are a single lad in his 20's who has never lived on his own, you are probably going to want to have friends over and throw the odd party or two, I presume most of your mates are still living at home, so they will probably be spending a lot of time at yours or trying to have afters back in yours, that happened to me, and you will need to be very lucky with your neighbours that they wont kick up a fuss anytime you have anyone over... I wasnt so lucky.

Would you not try renting an apartment for even 6 months, you could easily afford the rent, this will give you time to adjust to living away from the folks and also gives you a chance to decide if apartment living is for you.

Advertisement