Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,946 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Questioning vaccinations or lockdowns is wrong think and anyone engaged in either should be shunned by society.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Because this virus is so transmissible, the majority of people in the country might be exposed to it over a relatively short period of time. When you have hundreds of thousands or millions of people, if even a tiny percentage of them get sick, then the hospitals will end up in dire straits. A tiny percentage of a large number is still significant.

°°°°°

Would you agree that the real issue here is the state of the health system rather than Omicron being a potentially lethal strain of Covid to the average person?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

I think we have a really problematic healthcare system that needs huge investment. At the same time, no matter what the country, if a tiny percentage of millions of people get sick, this will result in hospitals being overwhelmed. This is why the Netherlands has basically gone into a full lockdown. My own guess is that Omicron will peak in Ireland sooner rather than later and things might not be serious as is being predicted, given how much vaccine coverage we have had,

• Advertisement

Looking at what has happened in South Africa and currently in the U.K., I’d say it is highly likely that Omicron will peak in Ireland in early January. This wave will be over much quicker than previous waves,

°°°°°

Were we to go into lockdown for three months in the new year, do you believe that the inevitable decrease in cases that comes with the end of the winter season should be attributed to the lockdown or simply seen as the pattern the virus follows each winter?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

all that matter is ICU numbers and if Ireland cannot handle 2000 people in icu then we really have to question

• where does the 20 billion spent per annum on The health system goes, is it being wasted or stolen or a mixture of both
    • also what have the government and the hse and out cmo being doing for the last 2 years that we are not ready for this new variant

Why would we need to go into lockdown for 3 months if Omicron looks like it will peak in early January?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Agreed, its emotional manipulation, and in that article he was linking it to accepting zero deaths from covid - this is the whole "If lockdown saves one life it will all be worth it" bollox - the zero covid fantasy that even Au/NZ are slowly accepting is impossible.

So by linking that to his own tragedy people can't criticize it then - clever .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Time will tell who's right.

If we're still locked down or restricted after a critical mass of people have received their third booster then questions have to be asked.

As we should all know by now, variants are "a thing".... do we really need to be locked into a perpetual cycle of variants & boosters?

I predict nothing will change after the third booster program reaches a critical mass, vaccines & restrictions are the only shows in town, and unless they start to replace the sticks with carrots, they'll have less people getting vaccinated each time the booster count increases (diminishing returns).

They were very quick to take back the few carrots that they did hand out, so why bother getting jabbed?

And don't wheel out the "greater good" excuse, the Irish are selfish begrudgers, they did not get jabbed for altruistic reasons, otherwise the covid pass for pubs wouldn't have been introduced to force their hand into getting jabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Well said that man.

The ugliness is septic, the lack of humanity for anything other than COVID startling to be honest. I’ve seen unvaccinated called rapists and the vaccinated people their victims in here from virtuos posters who try and claim anyone who questions anything is killing granny.

Covid will go, what’s left behind in how peoples minds became so warped will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The snowflakes of this country are expecting the government to protect us from the unknown, which of course is impossible.

This virus is unprecedented and does as itpleases so we just have to grow up.

On saying all that, I have commiserate with with the hospitality industry, their plight is terrible and hopefully we all help them out and tip well above average in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

What’s happened in the U.K.?

Per capita yesterdays 7,333 cases here is the same as the UK’s 90,000

They've introduced Covid passes to go to the pub, we’re closing all of ours at 20:00.

Not sure what the comparison is you’re trying to make?

I said look at what is currently happening in the U.K.

Daily reported cases are hovering around 100k. Most experts say that the real number is at least double this because many cases go unreported.

Out 7000 cases yesterday included about 3000 cases of a backlog.

We are a couple of weeks behind the U.K. in omicron transmission. The U.K. number will go up significantly over the next couple of weeks, and ours will follow.

My point is that a huge number of people, perhaps the majority of the population, will be exposed to Omicron over the next few weeks, because it is so transmissible. As a result, the peak of this wave should come sooner rather than later, perhaps early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Looking at those queues 😂

Disgraceful, selfish people crowding together, could be looking at a superspreader event right there. I thought we were all worried about Omicron being 1009% more transmissible. Not that worried apparently.

But yeah, close the cinemas at 8. Danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

I was told straight to my face by a work colleague that he EXPECTS the government to protect him from me, instead of protecting himself from me.

It is bizarre what many people think the job of the government is. It is almost as if people treat the government as Ersatz-parents. It is not just Covid, it is absolutely every part of life. How many times do you hear the phrase, “the government must do more”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It won’t because we will be locked down, and the wave will be flattened and dragged out for months and months.

You didn’t say any of that in your OP.

And you’re missing the point that I made which is the U.K. still have the majority of services open and now require a Covid pass to use those services. We did what we were supposed to do and still have restrictions imposed. It’s laughable.

As for case numbers, ours included a 3000 backlog but the UK’s ‘may’ be much higher because cases go unreported. So we don’t have any unreported cases but the U.K. have 100% that go unreported.

If we stick to actual facts then yesterday the cases were comparable per capita but we’re back being restricted and they’ve just to take their pass to the pub. Not comparable at all!!!

• Advertisement

People are going to mix like crazy over the next couple of weeks notwithstanding the restrictions. Omicron will spread over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

As I say, snowflakes.

Even with restrictions people have a better lifestyle than 50 years ago when every one was emigrating.

I didn’t say that we have no unreported cases. I think everyone can agree that the U.K. is ahead of us on Omicron transmission. We will catch up soon. I’m not sure I follow the rest of your post.

°°°°°

Because NEPHT won't lift restrictions until they're on the road to zero covid. We had six months of lockdown at the start of this year so I'm being optimistic saying three months this time around.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

This whole thing is showing us who a lot of people really are for sure. Some people who call themselves liberals and social justice warriors suggesting that the unvaccinated should be shunned from society or let die, just listen to that now they're out there with their blue hair and screaming and hopping mad over Donald Trump saying bad things but yet they want people who didn't get a medical procedure to die or shut out from society. I think I'm the only vaccinated guy I know who's against the medical apartheid.

There's a lot of people who would miss all the control and chaos, it's like a new religion for the NPC's and mass hypnosis. People like this who are brainwashed remind me of reincarnated sheep or something.

A lot of us rolled up our sleeves expecting to be back to normality, no they said we're still going to restrict ye, get an upgrade and powered up or boosted like a field of soy being saturated with chemical's.... then you can chase the carrot and we'll torture ye again and again....

Supposedly viruses weaken when they mutate, I learned that in biochemistry in the mid 90's in Edinburgh....

Now we're being told that this omnicron varient is going to rip through the nation....for the love of Abraham we're nearly all vaccinated and probably 2% of the unvaccinated had covid already...so we're still having to show papers when almost 98% of us are immune.

Wake up, we're being hoodwinked....

You don’t think people will be mixing over Christmas? Omicron will spread over Christmas like wildfire (hopefully mild for 99.9% of people who get it). We will then peak in January. No need for extended lockdown. Just my own view

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

That's one of the main issues with our society. About 80% of the stories on Six One are about how the government needs to do more or provide more resources for some group or some issue. It's neverending.

And acting as if there is a magic money tree with an endless supply of cash. It is quite juvenile

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Yes as if the government is some huge mean monster who won't help out.

• Advertisement

You didn’t say we did either, you said ours were so high because of backlog but the U.K. have 200,000 cases because half go unreported.

The rest of my post is easy to follow, yesterday we had a comparable case load per capita yet we’re going back into high restrictions with hospitality yet the U.K. have only now introduced Covid passes for hospitality.

Same position, vastly different measures. Plus they came completely out of restrictions 6 months ago, we still haven’t made it out of some form of restrictions.

Advertisement