Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Also saw this over on /r/LockdownSkepticism

Excellent post :

I'm new here and I came to find some sanity in this world. Some of you have seen me around, and I'm not exactly one of you. I wore N95 masks last year, along with face shields during the peak last fall. For a few months I lived with a dieing loved one (not COVID) and I wanted to protect the other elderly family members I was in regular contact with. I followed all the rules. When the vaccine was available to me, I got my shots and felt a sense of relief and joyful freedom for the first time in a while. I'm not going back; life has to be worth living.

And here's a hot take: all of that was my choice. It doesn't have to be yours. And we can't live in fear forever and this isn't worth losing friends and family over.

Most of all, I can't abide the ugliness that has come out of this. In one breath, people I know will be freaking out about every casualty, and in the next, they'll actively celebrate anyone who didn't join their tribe suffering. Orphans are hilarious if their parents were unvaccinated. People are calling for abandoning all medical ethics and saying we should deny all medical care to anyone who isn't vaccinated, as if people who make different decisions are irredeemably evil and should be denied medical care we'd even give to murderers in prison. They say the line between good and evil cuts through the heart of everyone and to me, that's getting real. The scapegoating is terrifying.

People hiding in their homes, directing nonstop hate to their friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, and countrymen? That's humanity at its worst. We can do better than that. Enough is enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

Yet again you are seeing things that are not there

you are clearly agitated by me and seem to think linking my posts to some type of attack on people who have suffered the death of a child

you are defending Martin and you are also defending the right of a public figure to use a death of a child to defend their actions regards Covid, something he has done as he knows it won’t be long until there are suicides because of this latest lockdown and he wants to get his defence in first

you might defend and even encourage that type of thing,I don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I must say I also found your post a tad insensitive.

I must say I found martins interview a little more than a tad insensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If you took so time to look back on my observations on what's being going on you might realise your argument is nonsense. Perhaps your somewhat flummoxed your reacting to someone who's actually been very critical of MM and not a conspiracy theorist. You plucked one aspect of a generally benign interview to personally attack an individual, deliberately focusing on a personal Tradegy, that in my book is offensive, insensitive, un called for but also completely off Topic.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I'll leave it at that, move on so to speak

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

As long as people keep voluntarily queueing for a vaccine that doesn't work, we're sunk....

There's no point in publicly protesting here in Ireland if you become the nail that sticks out and get hammered down (to borrow a Japanese phrase).

Some of us have very limited direct contact with real humans due to working from home, social distancing, friends & family being afraid of their own shadows, etc, etc, and as you rightly said, mental health is an issue here.

Why risk being shunned by the few people left for you to interact with if you march on the Dail, especially if the narrative reported by the government media portrays you as a granny killer or crazy person.

I will complain to anyone who will listen, I will try to highlight what is wrong with the system, tell them that they'll not comply their way out of restrictions, and while they'll all nod in agreement and say that I've got a good point, what happens.... They turn around and get the booster, because that's what Tony said to do.

We are literally pissing against the wind with things as they stand, the money tree needs to be burned down and the gravy train needs to be derailed before the Irish will protest.

Maybe things will change if we still have restrictions after the 4th booster? Who knows. 2022 is going to be another write off in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Lab studies are showing that the booster is 75%-80% effective against Omicron. For those who still get symptoms, all the indications are that the vaccines will still protect against severe disease.

Why the need for restrictions on vaccinated people then?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Questioning vaccinations or lockdowns is wrong think and anyone engaged in either should be shunned by society.

Glazers Out!

Because this virus is so transmissible, the majority of people in the country might be exposed to it over a relatively short period of time. When you have hundreds of thousands or millions of people, if even a tiny percentage of them get sick, then the hospitals will end up in dire straits. A tiny percentage of a large number is still significant.

• Advertisement

Would you agree that the real issue here is the state of the health system rather than Omicron being a potentially lethal strain of Covid to the average person?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

I think we have a really problematic healthcare system that needs huge investment. At the same time, no matter what the country, if a tiny percentage of millions of people get sick, this will result in hospitals being overwhelmed. This is why the Netherlands has basically gone into a full lockdown. My own guess is that Omicron will peak in Ireland sooner rather than later and things might not be serious as is being predicted, given how much vaccine coverage we have had,

Looking at what has happened in South Africa and currently in the U.K., I’d say it is highly likely that Omicron will peak in Ireland in early January. This wave will be over much quicker than previous waves,

Were we to go into lockdown for three months in the new year, do you believe that the inevitable decrease in cases that comes with the end of the winter season should be attributed to the lockdown or simply seen as the pattern the virus follows each winter?

Glazers Out!

all that matter is ICU numbers and if Ireland cannot handle 2000 people in icu then we really have to question

• where does the 20 billion spent per annum on The health system goes, is it being wasted or stolen or a mixture of both
    • also what have the government and the hse and out cmo being doing for the last 2 years that we are not ready for this new variant

Why would we need to go into lockdown for 3 months if Omicron looks like it will peak in early January?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Agreed, its emotional manipulation, and in that article he was linking it to accepting zero deaths from covid - this is the whole "If lockdown saves one life it will all be worth it" bollox - the zero covid fantasy that even Au/NZ are slowly accepting is impossible.

So by linking that to his own tragedy people can't criticize it then - clever .

Time will tell who's right.

If we're still locked down or restricted after a critical mass of people have received their third booster then questions have to be asked.

As we should all know by now, variants are "a thing".... do we really need to be locked into a perpetual cycle of variants & boosters?

I predict nothing will change after the third booster program reaches a critical mass, vaccines & restrictions are the only shows in town, and unless they start to replace the sticks with carrots, they'll have less people getting vaccinated each time the booster count increases (diminishing returns).

They were very quick to take back the few carrots that they did hand out, so why bother getting jabbed?

And don't wheel out the "greater good" excuse, the Irish are selfish begrudgers, they did not get jabbed for altruistic reasons, otherwise the covid pass for pubs wouldn't have been introduced to force their hand into getting jabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Well said that man.

The ugliness is septic, the lack of humanity for anything other than COVID startling to be honest. I’ve seen unvaccinated called rapists and the vaccinated people their victims in here from virtuos posters who try and claim anyone who questions anything is killing granny.

Covid will go, what’s left behind in how peoples minds became so warped will remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The snowflakes of this country are expecting the government to protect us from the unknown, which of course is impossible.

This virus is unprecedented and does as itpleases so we just have to grow up.

On saying all that, I have commiserate with with the hospitality industry, their plight is terrible and hopefully we all help them out and tip well above average in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

What’s happened in the U.K.?

Per capita yesterdays 7,333 cases here is the same as the UK’s 90,000

They've introduced Covid passes to go to the pub, we’re closing all of ours at 20:00.

Not sure what the comparison is you’re trying to make?

I said look at what is currently happening in the U.K.

Daily reported cases are hovering around 100k. Most experts say that the real number is at least double this because many cases go unreported.

Out 7000 cases yesterday included about 3000 cases of a backlog.

We are a couple of weeks behind the U.K. in omicron transmission. The U.K. number will go up significantly over the next couple of weeks, and ours will follow.

My point is that a huge number of people, perhaps the majority of the population, will be exposed to Omicron over the next few weeks, because it is so transmissible. As a result, the peak of this wave should come sooner rather than later, perhaps early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Looking at those queues 😂

Disgraceful, selfish people crowding together, could be looking at a superspreader event right there. I thought we were all worried about Omicron being 1009% more transmissible. Not that worried apparently.

But yeah, close the cinemas at 8. Danger.

I was told straight to my face by a work colleague that he EXPECTS the government to protect him from me, instead of protecting himself from me.

It is bizarre what many people think the job of the government is. It is almost as if people treat the government as Ersatz-parents. It is not just Covid, it is absolutely every part of life. How many times do you hear the phrase, “the government must do more”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It won’t because we will be locked down, and the wave will be flattened and dragged out for months and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

You didn’t say any of that in your OP.

And you’re missing the point that I made which is the U.K. still have the majority of services open and now require a Covid pass to use those services. We did what we were supposed to do and still have restrictions imposed. It’s laughable.

As for case numbers, ours included a 3000 backlog but the UK’s ‘may’ be much higher because cases go unreported. So we don’t have any unreported cases but the U.K. have 100% that go unreported.

If we stick to actual facts then yesterday the cases were comparable per capita but we’re back being restricted and they’ve just to take their pass to the pub. Not comparable at all!!!

People are going to mix like crazy over the next couple of weeks notwithstanding the restrictions. Omicron will spread over Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

As I say, snowflakes.

Even with restrictions people have a better lifestyle than 50 years ago when every one was emigrating.

Advertisement