Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The missed penalty was poor alright, its one kick not a common thing, drilled the penalty in last minute. The 50:22 bounced seven or eight yards from the try line, it takes a different bounce and it’s outstanding kick, just unlucky.

Carty was excellent today, on this form he’s well clear of most provincial rivals currently (Harry Byrne could change that but needs games) bar Sexton and Carbery at his best, but we haven’t seen Carbery’s best in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm a Carty fan but was he "excellent"?

On numerous occasions when Leicester were on top and Connacht desperately needed some possession he kept kicking the ball away. And he kicked straight down the throat of Leicester giving them opportunity to counter attack and build more pressure. He also had those two massive errors which were real momentum shifters.

He attacked the line really well as he always does and he took his try well but I thought his game management was really poor.

He kicked straight down the middle because Connacht wanted to keep the ball in play and deny them the set piece platform they build of, particularly the maul given how much trouble Connacht had defending it against a lesser Stade pack last week and that it’s a massive weapon for Leicester. Maybe the tactics were wrong but it was clearly a tactic.

One of the two errors you are referencing comes down to bounce of rugby ball. I certainly thought he was excellent and that seems to be the widespread reaction if you look at match reporting, even Leicester/English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I though he was decent today. A kick straight down the middle is fine if there’s space, not so much when there’s a player catching it under zero pressure. Felt he had a few too many of those today.

Huge credit to him for taking the drop goal on though, many 10s wouldn’t have dropped in the pocket. His kicking from tee was excellent too.

that seems to be the widespread reaction if you look at match reporting, even Leicester/English.

That's great. But I'm giving my opinion.

And I never said he was sh*t or anything, I just think "excellent" is pushing it a bit.

It seems to be a big problem for Connacht that they can't manage tight games. It was the same story in Thomond park earlier on in the season. From 50 minutes on today they pretty much forgot how to rugby. The number of unforced handling errors was embarrassing and their accuracy at the breakdown was really poor. With Connacht, either they utterly demolish a team (Bulls, Ulster, Ospreys) or they lose. They can't grind out a result in a tight game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Guys 6 points after 2 games

a home game vs Leicester team which clearly could afford to let 1 slip

and an away game vs average uninterested Stade Français

we have a huge chance to qualify for our 1st knock-on european rugby

I'd have signed for that BP with both hands

Fair enough. Opinions vary.

As for grinding out tight games, away to premiership toppers Leicester and Munster aren’t really games Connacht are expected to grind out, they were nine point underdogs today. A bonus point is pretty good when you look at the resources available to Connacht, bringing on a loose head from the provincial championship in New Zealand, a rugby league convert etc.

I agree and it's a testament to where Connacht are at, that after getting LBP away to the best team in England that there's a sense of "they should have got more from that"

A point is a good result but you can't deny that their error count and breakdown accuracy was poor regardless of who they were playing.

I feel like if Ford was playing Leicester would have been out of sight.

Tuimauga was stabilizing the scrum all-right he was huge, in both sense of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

No, neither one was criminal but they were impactful errors at a time when the game was in the balance.

If you're looking at his overall performance, they have to be a factor. He may be the leading candidate behind Sexton and Carbery but there's always (IMO) enough on the other side of the ledger to explain why he might not be a favourite of Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Dillane off to La Rochelle!😱

We don’t agree obviously. If any ten of the other contenders for the ten spot behind Sexton & Carbery were playing for Connacht today, Connacht would have lost by 15. If Carty was getting game time behind a Leinster pack that routinely steam rolls opposition he would have been starting ten last six nations.

Be a big loss especially after Roux going last year. Hard to blame him taking the opportunity if true though, great servant to Connacht.

Give D.Murray a chance to pair wih his brother and try to enlist IQ J.Kleyn for Roux

Carty is a miles better 10 than Carbery

Cameron Boon would be nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

You are correct. It is clearly a Connacht tactic, i wish game commentators would highlight this so casual fans would understand it is not bad kicking but a game plan. Maybe it is obvious to them that teams like Fiji would not want a set piece game against teams like South Africa but many people watching may not realise this.

I though he looked good. One great carry and did well coming into a struggling scum, on his debut against Dan Coles in a European game in Leicester. Fitness may limit his game time for the short term.

I dont think he will be as big a loss as he would have been in pervious years. A great player but lacks the bulk at maul and scrum time which hurts Connacht. Friend probably see Thornbery and Murray moving a head of him next year partnering Dowling or Fifita. Masterson and the younger Murray covering injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

If he is leaving which I hope is not the case, I doubt it is because Connacht/Friend dont see him as 1st choice IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Be a huge loss if true but he deserves a good payday for his fantastic service to Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Season ticket holders ok for the Munster game, and other games assuming the 50% capacity rules don't change further. Presumably other tickets sold will be cancelled and refunded. Will miss the banter with the Munster fans, but should be good for the team to have the crowd fully behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

I think the idea was that Leicester don't run it back... They just kick... So kick to them, have a bit of tennis and relieve the pressure..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Have always thought Carty deserved more of a crack with Ireland. Think he's been written off too easily by some. I'd have him over Carbery the way his form has been (obviously the injury has promoted him regardless).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Ultan confirmed to be moving abroad unfortunately. Big loss hopefully we can improve Thornbury and Dowling injury record to try and take some of the slack

Been a great player for us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's bad news! Wish him well. He's probably off to France. His salary is most likely going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Big loss but he owes Connacht nothing. Wish him the very best of luck .

Read on another forum talk of Tom Daly going South to replace DDA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Between losing Arnold and potentially Daly on top of Farrell's fitness we could be fairly goosed at centre

Advertisement