Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The HSE define a backlog differently than you and I apparently. If there is a lag of a couple of days aligning data across their systems they don't treat it as a backlog per se

Think it's three days is the cutoff

So what we see as a backlog with a difference between swabs reported vs positive tests is essentially delays in them lining up data across multiple systems.

So over 3000 positive swabs extra were reported up to Friday compared to actual cases is not a backlog

In positive news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Are there any statistics at all on long Covid? ICU patients are not the only ones being affected by C19 you know. There are people who got Covid months ago and still have not been able to return to work or exercise because of the after effects. A friend of mine falls into this category - in her 40s, fit, healthy, marathon runner. (Smoked in her 20s, maybe that now counts as an underlying health condition?!?) Was vaxed with Jansen (1 dose) and got Covid in August. She hasn't returned to training and is still out of work sick. That's just as bad if not worse than being in ICU - not to mention the mental anguish she suffers from now, wondering if she is ever going to get better.

I can see why some people think the pubs should be allowed to stay open and sure 'let her rip', it's only the 80 year olds dying and, well, they don't pay any taxes anyway. But, it's not you know. I don't have the stats on long Covid. I don't know if they even exist, but while my friend's situation might be in a minority, she can't be the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Are they that big numbers? Approx 6200 in an Irish context and they are testing a lot more.

The significance of those numbers is their vaccination profile particularly in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Looks promising but as you know too early to open the champagne, always a lag, hopefully our higher vaccination rate will mean that we will do better than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Relative to where they were last Sunday yes it is, 72% up I think. I think it will be interesting to see where they peak and fall, regardless of the unvaccinated issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Sorry to hear you friend is not back running yet. But I can’t understand how people would use this as an argument to close schools and deny children an education?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Can you explain the workings of your 200 and 2000 figures?

I do wonder if the numbers had been hovering around those figures, that maybe you'd be here saying you hoped they'd have dropped below 100 and 1000.

I'm sorry, who is talking about closing schools?

Are you saying that people imagine the physical symptoms that they never had pre-Covid but now have post-Covid?

Fair enough. Let’s see where the UK is on Boxing Day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

100% our minds control our bodies, long covid is no longer in the media for the same reason suicides receive little coverage, it leads to others focusing their minds that direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

You are! Aren't you? Saying we can't let it rip, the opposite of let it rip I'd imagine is close schools and businesses

Yes, I understand and agree with that concept. I'm not inside my friend's body, so I can't definitively say that she isn't imagining it, therefore I guess I can argue no further. But if it turns out that this has all just been in her head all this time, well that is just a serious shame.

Where has the personal responsibility option disappeared to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I'd be for that but just got the feeling by saying "not letting it rip" the OP means closing things

perhaps he is right. Perhaps he is not.

But thankfully we have mitigated this through the vaccination programme. That seems to be lost in a lot of the messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

It does look like there is some simplistic analysis going on. This day last year with no vaccination there were only a few hundred cases and 34 in ICU. This year despite so much vaccination the numbers have increased hugely and ICU has trebled. And this was in train before the most recent variant. You'd wonder if the vaccinations are making as much difference as has been claimed since we'll be in the same boat next month as we were last January.

And I am not disrespecting your friend, if our minds think our finger is painful, it's painful, it just takes a series of events, circumstances and we would all end up in the same place.

I work in a school. With booster vaccines, masks, distancing and sanitising, they have no reason to close. We don't have students unmasked, dancing on the tables, gathering in crowds etc etc. We have them in a very controlled environment. In many cases, they are safer with us than they would be at home, where working parents can't be expected to also keep an eye on them.

They come into school, sanitise. They walk to their classroom, sanitise. They enter the room, go to their desk, sanitise. They sit 1.1m apart from everyone else in the room and they are masked. Every time they move, they sanitise. If they don't - we tell them to. Is that what happens in bars/pubs/restaurants/cafes? No, it is not.

I feel for business owners, I really do. My yoga teacher lost her studio in the first lockdown and it devastated her. It's so unfair that people such as them, people who go out on a limb to enhance a town or village with these fantastic bars, gyms, salons, restaurants, have been dealt this awful hand. But honestly, I have a family member who remains unvaccinated and he still swans in and out of all the previously mentioned places. Never asked for a cert.

The hospitality industry are having an awful time. But, they have been most let down by their own. The numerous businesses that refused to adhere to the easing of restrictions have - in my view - left us where we are. There are many, many businesses not checking certs. I know this for a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

is that not what you meant by “letting it rip”?

No, I understand. The mind is a fierce powerful thing. I get that. In a way, if it turns out to be all in her mind, then that is even worse! (Not saying that it should be a reason to up restrictions, just saying makes me even more scared of ever catching Covid!)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

It's lost in the messaging because we have no benefit to show for it. Hospitality is hobbled, many businesses closing voluntarily because they can't operate under the punitive rules, gigs cancelled, restrictions on air travel.

Now there are threats that worse is to come in January!

Where is the benefit to us of having the longest lockdown in Europe this year and one of the highest vaccination rates? Does anyone believe that if/when we don't see hospitalizations like January 2021 that will be allowed full freedom immediately?!

There could be 0 on hospital on January 11th and I guarantee restrictions won't be lifted. We'll be lucky to see the 8pm curfew gone by summer.

No, it wasn't. Schools would never need to be closed.

Tbh, if proper inspections of cafes/restaurants and bars are done and proper measures are taken and carried out in a consistent manner by all concerned, they don't need to close either.

But - a lot of people are just not playing ball. In LIDL this evening doing my shopping, an entire family just going around with no masks on. In The Range Maynooth last week - not a soul working in that place has the mask above their nose.

I went to a restaurant with my dad a month ago. We weren't asked for our vax certs. So, probably means nobody else in there was either.

Went to a Costa Coffee 3 weeks ago. Was asked for cert and ID, gave them both, only when I sat down did I realise I gave my OHs cert by accident. So ..... even when they are checking, they're not.

My previous example of the family member who struts around the place unvaccinated proves why personal responsibility is never going to work. To use an analogy from my own profession, that's like allowing the kids to correct their tests themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Worth noting that the HSE believe we're as incompetent as they are? Its plain to see that there was a significant backlog building all week that got lumped into Saturdays caseload. Its beyond belief that journalists aren't hammering them on this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

You are falling into the trap of assuming the status of schools regarding opening/closure will have something to do with protocols within schools. They will close, if they close, because of the status of infection spread in the community. You might need to prepare yourself for that. It's a hugely efficient way to take a million people out of circulation.

And in schools there is the laughable scenario where, despite the local restaurant having to look for a vaccination cert, a Principal is not permitted to ask a teacher's vaccination status! You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

If you agree that they should be closed and it's their own fault,you don't"feel for them.You are just passing blame on to others like most people.The mess we are in is purely down to government policies with the last 20 years,the waste of money that is consistently invested into the HSE with a terrible return,and these certs are a worthless piece of ****,but carry on with the blame if it makes you feel safe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The numerous businesses that refused to adhere to the easing of restrictions have - in my view - left us where we are. There are many, many businesses not checking certs. I know this for a fact.

Well then you should also know for a fact, that even in the places that don't check certs, more than 9 out of every 10 would be vaccinated, as per population statistics.

Your still running after the un-vaccinated ball thrown a few weeks ago.

It's a different ball now, called the Omicron, the vaccines and boosters don't work now it seems, or at least NPHET have no faith in them

I know what you mean, but .... really, I still don't think they should close. I also don't believe they will. My school had a Covid inspection last week and reading between the lines, the department have ZERO plans to close, no matter what.

The only way closing the schools again would be at all effective would be if we went into a military-style lockdown where people weren't allowed to leave their homes. Otherwise, you will have the same as what you had last time - a load of parents tearing their hair out because they are expected to be just as productive at home as they are in the office, but their kids are all at home wrecking their heads. Then you will have those kids not bothering to turn up for class and either sitting playing video games all day (unhealthy) or going out and mixing with their friends (unhealthy)

• Advertisement

What makes me feel safe is looking after myself and taking precautions. The whole reason this has gone on as long as it has is because so many morons in this country can't do that. That's the real pandemic here, one that we have been living with much longer than we have been living with Covid.

Advertisement