Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel of Time (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The Ways looked crap. A polystyrene model of the Giants Causeway painted black and badly lit. Even the way they deliberately walked slowly through it screamed of it being on a small stage. The Blight didn't look much better.

I was, honestly, hoping for something along the lines of an evil Mines of Moria.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Harsh on poor Moira

Fir some reason I actually thought of the Stonehenge scene from Spinal Tap when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yep, pleasant little Down village by all accounts

• Advertisement

Watched a few of her analysis videos and she explains, perfectly, the practical reason why the show looks and feels "off"

People ask "well what's wrong with the show?" and,generally, my answer if "things"

Great that someone is able to point to the framing of a scene and say "that looks off because they've not matched the lighting to the in-scene light sources" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,274 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Given the budget... you'd wonder how that can go wrong. Were they under time pressure? Or are there so many productions going on that experienced production staff are in short supply?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Is it a Dolly Parton situation where "it costs a lot of money to look this cheap"?

I'm watching Matt Damon's movie "The Last Duel", and that looks absolutely cracking. Again, extensive use of actual historical buildings to achieve the look needed. It cost $100 million total... That's $20 million more than WOT season 1.

I'm sure there different economies with shows versus movies, but as we said earlier, WOT is not that much cheaper (if at all) compared to comparable shows. I think it's the "look" they've gone for, they're trying to build sets to achieve a unique aesthetic for Randland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

How long is duel though compared to WoT?

WoT has squandered some of its budget though. It looks network television level at times but then the show runner worked on agents of shield, what could we expect?

The Last Duel is about 2 and a half hours I think. It's not a fair comparison, yes, they're slightly different mediums - but the comparison with other series stands I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's also much easier when you can just shoot within any of the thousands of old medieval castles and locations still standing in Europe; many of which are still standing & kept intact. This is what The Last Duel did when it shot here in Ireland. High Fantasy, unless you knowingly do the same, requires custom sets and locations. It's much easier these days in the era of CGI to make things look epic and expansive, but you still need some amount of custom set construction; plus there's presumably money saved having to actually travel to Europe too.

I agree Wheel of Time has looked a little cheap in places (I suspect they re-dressed that abandoned city to shoot the White City scenes, for instance), and I've said as much, especially around the costumes; but while jarring it probably just highlighted how spoiled I've become on these high-budget streaming shows. I grew up in the 90s/00s when cheap-áss genre shows were just what we got 😁

They did travel to Europe though... The WOT was filmed in Czech republic, Croatia and Slovenia. For reference, The Witcher was filmed in a similar locale, they were in Hungary...

As far as budget goes, it's worth clarifying that neither The Witcher or Game of Thrones had dramatically higher budgets for their first seasons than the WOT.

The Witcher season 1 was around 80 million, same as the WOT season 1, and The early GOT seasons were actually cheaper, at around 60 million a season... Although allowing for inflation I think we could say that 60 would have been 80 now, and I imagine the final seasons were more expensive for a variety of reasons.

I'm also not sure that high fantasy requires building sets, that's just a creative decision. The Witcher and GOT doesn't seem to have gone that route to the same extent as the WOT producers.

As far as the WOT goes I can only conclude it was a creative decision to build sets, there's nothing in the source material to say that they couldn't used historical buildings for many settings. Jordan didn't do his world-building as hugely alien, it's European with a smattering of North Africa, Asia and the Middle East at the edges of the map.

In the books there's a variety of nations and cultures with distinctive dress and appearance, but if it was me spending that 80 million I would have used Europe or central European settings for the Two Rivers, Andor and Tar Valon, and maybe had another shoot in a warmer climate like Tunisia or Croatia for the likes of the Shienar and the Blight.

One element of doing it that way is that you might have preserved distinct looks for the various countries and cultures. GOT achieved this obviously. On the WOT they've made the decision to have everywhere seemingly equally multicultural, which is fine I guess, but it does away with some of the cool elements in the books where you have the Two Rivers folk travelling to particular countries and suddenly they're in this wash of different clothes, different manners, different skin colours... The 'fish out of water' trope is useful in that it highlights how isolated they are from their surroundings, and that matters when one of them is the Dragon and starts to shake things up in the relevant country. I think it's a bit of a pity.

Ironically we know that the Two Rivers does end up a cultural melting pot... Different races and cultures settling there along with the original villagers. But it's plot-driven, it's much later in the books when there are large numbers of people on the move as refugees due to war.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

For me the UHD or 4K resolution does this show no favours in regards to the physical sets. Some scenes looked like a play.

I know,I know, “it’s far from 4K you were raised” but it suffers in its hands because the settings are too clean and new looking as opposed to well worn or ancient even.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It doesn't look right a lot of the time. Which is a pity.

It's more then the set lighting. There's a load of dubious decision made with how it looks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Were those locations for landscape photography or using existing medieval locations? Cos yeah, they clearly have shot the outdoor material in some fairly remote, spectacular parts of the countryside (which can't have been cheap, and looks a damn sight better than the forests outside Vancouver or wherever in the US/Canada gives tax breaks), but I suppose I was thinking specifically of indoor locations. Do we know if they have used any dresssd up, medieval buildings in those countries? Twin Rivers looked generic enough it might have been a folk park, but as I said the White City locale felt very "set" like. Personally speaking I prefer something unique and bespoke,but probably cos I'm used to seeing "old castle" locations wherever I go 😂

As someone said, the lighting makes a difference here and this show lacks a certain "cinematic" quality you get with other shows these days, such as The Witcher. All playing into that feeling of a gussied up network show from the 00s. Though I'd be loathed to compare budgets, especially with Netflix shows - cos they throw money around like confetti and frequently overpay (IMO) for some unknowable reason. Plenty of films and TV can do wonders with F all budget too, so money isn't always the answer - a smart creative team can be the difference. The editing has also been really shoddy in places, scenes bashing against each other with jarring effect.

Post edited by pixelburp on

They shot it just outside Prague, and studio locations in Prague. I think the Two Rivers was actually a set built in a quarry on the outskirts of the city.

They did some shooting in a national park in Slovenia as well, that's the nicer mountain scenery. lovely lakes and rivers in Slovenia.

I doubt any of this stuff is filmed anywhere that is not easily accessible by coach / train / taxi these days, considering what's required to be put on, but I guess nothing is cheap these days, no matter where you are, COVID-related inflation.

I just read that season 2 might be filmed in Morocco and Tenerife, it would make sense based on how Carhien and Tear are described in the books, if that's where its going.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

The Tar Valon city looked so “on set” and front facing I wouldn’t have been surprised to see the two old fellas from the muppets laughing down at poor Logain.

I still, still like the show. I do.

I suppose at least we havent mentioned the b**ks in a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,537 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I actually don’t know, could be. I read an article on the locations used in season 1 but you could be right and it predated that shooting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So does anyone know why trollocs don't like water? Is it only deep water or water in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Jesus, they did Agelmar seriously dirty. And of course, Lews Therin can't be the head of ye olde Aes Sedai and is made look like an idiot.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

That was hilariously bad. Fcuking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Genuinely awful. There is so much in it that just doesn't make any sense and that's even without reading the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MowldyCabbage

Just finished the series. Having read the books I thought it was OK. But for the budget and the existing story it should have been more than OK. I'd imagine people who haven't read the books would be a bit lost, they didn't do a great job of explaining anything or developing some of the characters.

Some of the acting was pretty bad too. Perrin was terrible. I have no idea how that guy got cast and he just seemed to ruin whatever scene he was in. And they just ruined some of the really cool bits from the books like the ways which looked shite.

All in all it wasn't a bad watch for Christmas and hopefully they'll improve it for the next season now that they have somewhat of a foundation.

I'd heard the name of the books, and that was it. Only that they were a popular High Fantasy series; so TBH, while I'm still only 5 episodes in I can't say I'm lost at all. It's all fairly straightforward TBH, without digging too deep into the mythology of everything. I don't doubt the show has missed lots of detail and characterization, and my main complaints would be structural - and in that sense things feel a tad rushed - but I've never felt confused as to what was going on (unlike, say The Witcher season 1 that was made a bit confusing by design)

• Advertisement

Cant wait to see Rafe's remake of Lord of the Rings where he decides that the Arwen/Aragorn romance is more important than silly Frodo and the ring. Actually, scrap the ring. Evenstar looks cooler, lets run with that. And maybe switch Aragorn out for Eowyn.

It's what Tolkien would have wanted if he was around now

Advertisement