Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

As I said, I do the wages for almost 500 nurses. If I don’t, they won’t get paid. It’s literally the exact same work I’d be doing if I were in the office, except this week we’ve a shorter timescale with next Mon-Tues being bank holidays.,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,469 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Now I don't want to derail this thread either but I'm fairly sure I've often heard about MM children that died. It gets brought up occasionally in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

It reeks of emotional manipulation. He knows full well that we're beyond fed up of these lockdowns and restrictions so he pulls this to get us back in line. Can you imagine the phony outrage from the media and Leftists if Donald Trump had tried such a tactic when he was President?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭walus

Today got an email from my sons teacher asking to set up Google classroom without giving any justification for it. That comes after they sent his books home last week. Looks to me lockdown is on the cards and therefore more homeschooling for parents to do. One step away from using this great tool to drive the vaccine uptake among those kids (parents) who can’t or won’t deal with online education or simply don’t want have their kids excluded from school. Conspiracy theory some would say? Be careful, conspiracy theory today, reality tomorrow.

I think this could be good news for all those here who were advocating for closing schools and keeping pubs and restaurants open. Looks to me that you got what you were asking for. Not sure if pubs could be saved though.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

And that's No Shytt,Shylock...(could'nt resist that !)

Hoodwinked with a Kapital K !

In the midst of RTE's continuing outfall of Covid "coverage" focusing on the need for a daily increase in "cases" (guaranteed due to every GP directing ingrown toenail presenters to a Covid Test Centre),our National PUBLIC SERVICE broadcaster has abandoned objectivity and journalistic questioning in favour of raising a CMO and his crew to Deity status.

RTE were caught napping in South Africa before....http://tribune.ie/article/2009/apr/05/the-curious-case-of-pamela-izevbekhai/

Philip Boucher-Hayes is the RTÉ broadcaster who conducted the radio interview. Boucher-Hayes has sworn an affidavit supporting Izevbekhai's claims for her legal case. He said through a spokeswoman last week: "In 2005, I rang international directory enquiries and got a number for the hospital in which Dr Unokanjo works. I rang the hospital and was put through to the person whose interview was aired." A phone number for Isioma hospital in Lagos was not available from international directory enquiries when contacted on several occasions this week. The address on the fake document gives a fake address and phone number for the hospital. The hospital's actual address is 11 James Robertson Street, Surulere, Lagos.

Even with their prior record of poor Journalistic standards at their highest level,I await RTE coverage of the "other" side of SA's Omicron wave....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/south-africa-reporting-a-low-rate-of-hospital-admissions-even-with-the-omicron-variant-1.4759122

As the Irish Times gamely attempted to peddle the "Oh but It will lay old Erin bare" line,even they could'nt downplay the rather basic week 3 statistics on SA's Hospitalizations....

Only 1.7 per cent of identified Covid-19 cases were admitted to hospital in the second week of infections in the fourth wave, compared with 19 per cent in the same week of the third delta-driven wave, South African health minister Joe Phaahla said at a press conference.

Health officials presented evidence that the strain may be milder, and that infections may already be peaking in the country’s most populous province, Gauteng.

Damn & Blast sez the Government and NPHET PR Team,somebody needs to get those South Afrikaners on message...and SOON !

Of course,the narrative now appears to be the European Omicron will be different...vastly different,cos...well our viruses are different...ok ?

With many and varied Western Governments rushing to the bomb-shelters and sounding alarums throughout the continent,few appear to be wondering how so many disparate,and long-standing ambivalent Politicians have suddenly started lecturing from the same podium.

The Penny is already dropping,albeit slowly,but with little doubt,2022 is going to bring with it a reckoning,most likely when the employed middle-class contributors finally realize their pension pot's are now empty.... 😮

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Wait until that 99.9% will run to get tested for a runny nose, or because they think they were close contact of an "infected" that was coughing/sneezing. Our lord will call for an extended lockdown, justified by the huge number of positive, that are indeed, absolutely fine. But that's what we have become: in work one of my colleague was feeling a bit "strange" and was sent home. He did about 4 antigen test and went even for a PCR: all negative. The following day all the other colleagues went for a pcr and they were proudly showing their negative result as a way of being accepted again into the pack 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's still a wait and see scenario and unless cases absolutely rocket up tomorrow schools will close as planned on Wednesday. The New Year return depends on what Omicron does. If it's fast and furious then schools should open normally.

Meanwhile, been out and about and Christmas shopping goes on apace , with masks half-mast and otherwise everywhere in shops. Good to see so many out getting on with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea was out doing the shopping earlier and it was as busy as you'd expect this time of year.

Masks are just pointless. You can tell it's only because of the threat of fines that people bother. Me I just use the plastic shields - still ridiculous, but not quite as annoying and I can breathe properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

This. There is a hint of emotional blackmail about those articles. MMs loss, whilst indescribably painful, should not be impacting his decision making - yet he says here its influencing him to try to ensure that all covid deaths must be avoided at all costs.

Covid and cot death cannot be compared like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

Your job could be outsourced to a computer as of now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It's the HSE we are taking about here. They'd be lucky to have a windows95 computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just to answer beyond the CT nonsense:

Severeness of Omicron is still up in the air, assumption from authorities until they know better is the same as Delta but higher transmission rates, severity will hopefully be less, London hospitalisations should give us a good idea.

Booster does seem to give 70% protection against Omicron, how long this lasts isn't known yet (guessing 3-9 months), there is only partial vaccine escape (a bit more than Delta), but 70% is probably low enough that a new formulation will be made available (Delta was still 90% while original was 95%), it may not be needed (like the Delta specific vaccines) if Omicron burns itself out quickly (any update vaccines will probably contain the spike protein of multiple strains).

The expiry on vaccines is set conservatively, they are probably fine even when expired but they are 100% safe up till the expiry date.

Originally vaccines had to be kept frozen for stability at super low temperatures, it was later found this wasn't needed and they can be stored in regular freezers and are fine when thawed.

They don't get lethal when "warm", the stability of the vaccine component breaks down and means the vaccine would not be effective, but there is no danger to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

Are you sure about the storage recommendations ?

By the way your last paragraph is absolute word salad and unintelligible gibberish.

Which words do you not understand?

This is the official guidelines:

• Refrigeration units that are commonly available in hospitals and pharmacies.
      • The vaccine can also be stored at -25°C to - 15°C (-13°F to 5°F) for two weeks
    • The vaccine can be stored for up to one month (31 days) at refrigerated 2-8°C conditions. The various storage options at the POU allow for equitable access to the Pfizer vaccine to areas with differing infrastructure.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pfizer was the only one that had to be stored initially at -70, think moderna was -20 and AZ in a normal fridge

After thawing Pfizer and Moderna are fine in a fridge for 30 days

Theres loads of information if you just bother to look

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Masks are just theater at this stage. Understandable in hospitals but see a fair few walking around outdoors with them now and I'm just like eejits.

Their intention is spread disinformation not get answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭shockframe

Everybody would sympathise with Martin in that situation. It's utterly tragic for it to happen but not directly relevant to the pandemic itself.

This is not new information. He gave a very similar interview back in June about parenthood, and their deaths.

People hold memories of their dead children for life. I have every sympathy for the man and accept that it has formed him as a person. That said it has nothing to do with whether he is a good Taoiseach nor is it an excuse for some of the indecision at times during this. As I've said more than once I think he's a worrywart, a conclusion I've managed to come to without fretting about any details in his personal life.

He specifically says those experiences are impacting the decisions he is making during the pandemic.

• Advertisement

Some people say that God makes decisions for them which is just as hard to prove and as likely not to be true. I have known people who've tragically experienced this and their lives don't stop. They may retain the sadness and the memory for the lost child and it may inspire them on to other things but generally speaking it doesn’t have an ongoing overwhelming effect on their lives. We are a whole lot more complex as human beings than the tragedies we learn to live with.

Martin as a politician has always been a ditherer, that's just who he is. His decisions during this may have had some influence from his personal life but it's been mostly allowing NPHET recommendations and numbers to call the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Out for a few beers today with a friend I haven't seen in 2 years, I assume once we are the door by 8 we'll be OK or is it only a thing from tomorrow. #SmartCovid

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Nope!

1. Automation would run on a server not a computer.
    2. I’d assume you’d know that there’s far too many variables on a month by month basis to fully automate something like payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Every teacher should be ready for closure. Not that it's going to happen or teachers have any insight/inside line, it's just being prepared for a possibility. No one would be surprised if it did happen, likewise, if it didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

I process two payrolls for 150 staff and it takes 20 minutes

this is because of integration between softwares

it’s very simple stuff.

all I do is update payroll and the banking part, I also in that 20 minutes carry out checks on 20 payslips

payroll is so easy to do now it is outsourced by many private sector employers

I think some of the comments made against Michael Martin regarding his reflections on the death 2 of his children have been utterly disgusting.

The idea that Martin is "using" these deaths to make a point about the politics of COVID-19 is, as I said, vile and disgusting - and anyone making a similar point should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

I've read quite a few comments already, and it's beyond the pale that people would stoop so low just to make a point against a politician.

And I say that as someone who doesn't like Michael Martin as a political leader.

Posters here did not make the link between his children and his leadership in the pandemic. Michael Martin *himself* made that link.

He has publically stated it impacts the decisions he makes. Those decisions in turn impact 4-5 million people.

Posters are entitled to comment on statements public figures make and that includes speculating on the timing of those statements.

If you lost 2 children, wouldn't that impact every aspect of perspective in your life?

I mean, what is the issue? It's so obvious that something as traumatic as that would have a personal impact about how a person behaves.

In fact, it would be weird if Michael Martin said it didn't play a role in his life and perspective.

Of course it would. But Im not Im not the one saying I struggle to take my personal traumatic experience out of my decision making whilst simultaneously being responsible for decisions that impact millions of people.

• Advertisement

Michael Martin's decision to impose restrictions has everything to do with the fact that he's a gutless politician following NPHET; it's as simple as that.

NPHET have and always have called the shots regarding COVID-19, and Martin - and no other Irish politician at that level - would have opposed them.

Advertisement