Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Leo MIGHT have, given that he was/is a doctor and at the very least, has some knowledge of the medical field.

All of the others would blindly follow NPHET but I feel they'd question it more. MM is just like a wet sponge. I really thought he'd be a good taoiseach, but he's the worst we've ever had. Hell, I'd rather Bertie or even Charlie in charge over MM at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Imagine Tony telling Charlie Haughey what to do.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Holohan and the rest of NPHET have moved from being an advisory body to Government to proactively determining policy in their own right and communicating those policies through leaks to the media.

How many NPHET members are interviewed by our media and/or quoted in our newspapers every day? They should be completely silent other than to communicate their advice to Government when requested to do so. No interviews, no quotes, no letters.

Nobody voted for these people, they have no mandate. Allowing them to operate like this is absolutely a danger to our democracy.

In South Africa, they found that 70pc of COVID-19 Omicron patients were incidental findings i.e. - patients who presented to the hospital with other conditions but just found to be COVID-19 positive as per protocol to test patients.

In London, the percentage is currently 50pc. A lot of people are diagnosed in hospital with Omicron but they didn't arrive at the hospital because of Omicron.

The same situation appears to be following suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

People's lives have been ruined because of his decisions. Businesses wiped out. Life Savings wiped out. He needs to step down if can not or will not make a rational decision.

• Advertisement

I'm the foremost critic of this latest lockdown-lite.

I just don't agree that bringing his two dead children into it, or as a means to criticise him, are justified.

The much-needed criticism against latest restrictions resides not only with NPHET, but with both Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, as well as Sinn Fein - all of whom align with NPHET.

NPHET is and always has been the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Yep, so not done by automation. Still needs human intervention. Thanks for confirming what I said.

It’s outsourced to companies that use humans to use the same payroll softwares but still not automation.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭tomgrange1978

I feel for anyone who has lost a child and I have some idea on how he feels which I do not want to discuss further on here

many people have suffered by losing those close to us and it does deeply affect you, it rips your **** heart out and you think you can’t go on but you cannot let that very personal trauma affect how you shape other people’s lives

we are not here to play God.

We didn't bring his dead children into this. He did. With all the lives ruined by decisions that have been based on emotions you can't be surprised that people are angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The simple facts are that NPHET is an advisory body to Government. The do not determine policy and never have. They report to the Government and the Government determines what if any policy will be followed.

When it comes to leaking, far as I have seen they come after NPHET have given their report to Government, and this Government leaks like a sieve. I would be more inclined to believe the pubs and restaurants closing at 5 p.m. leak was more members of government leaking than NPHET and it wasn`t for the first time either this has been done for their own reasons

If I was worried about a danger to out democracy, I would be more worried about Cabinet leaks than those from an advisory body to government.

• Advertisement

That's even worse.

He's allowed to mention his dead children without it being politicised against him by people opposed to lockdowns.

I'm opposed to lockdowns - including this recent pseudo-lockdown announcement - and that's why I'm opposed to Martin and every other mainstream politician in favour of NPHET recommendations.

But I just do not see the value of politicising his 2 dead children. In fact, I think to even engage in that kind of discussion is bordering on the sick.

NPHET are not the problem, they are doing their job, the blame firmly lies at the feet of the weak leadership in the government. They are afraid to make a decision.

The way I see it is that NPHET will make their recommendations which will always be 100% medical based and risk adverse. They dont care about any other factors. Government are suppose to take those recommendations on board as well as other factors and make their decisions on that but because the leadership is weak they have accepted and implemented everything NPHET advise because they don't have to take responsibility. Simple as that Martin has never made a decision in his life.

Its the timing that irks people. Just after imposing more restrictions for Christmas [and probably a lockdown announcement in the coming days] this interview drops. People are going to be angry that their lives have been ruined because he and Holohan are making emotional based decisions instead of rational ones. They need to step down if they are not capable of doing that. The people have suffered enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Michael Martin was on Brendan O’Connor today saying the the covid passes would be updated with the booster in the new year. It will be compulsory and part of an EU wide rollout? Also the German Health minister has called for mandatory vaccination asap.

Its good to see governments taking this seriously especially in regard to the unvaccinated who are frankly a danger to themselves and others. I’m hoping in the new year we might have this a little bit under control but it’s going to take a lot more than closing the pubs/restaurants at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Steveimitation

And how do we control the future variants then eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

We just wait for a new booster for each new variant

Forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Yeah just get dosed up every three months and if we are all good little citizens Tony might allow us to stay in a pub past 8

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

in fairness these people queuing are getting it for themselves, I doubt they are under any illusion that it will change things restriction wise.

And booster does seem to protect against Omicrn - at least till the next variant comes along.

But we need to get this crap out of our heads that this is working on population level - it isn't, it's working on individual level.

That's just not true though is it? Plenty of people got the original vaccine to try and access a return to normality not because they feared the disease.

And plenty of people are doing that with the booster too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

You make a fair point about the individual vaccines, I guess, but we're not going to comply the restrictions away, there still needs to be some pushback.

Like I said before, I'll most likely take the booster, depending on how they link it to travel & certs, but I plan on being a bad statistic for a while at least.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop the references to personal tragedies. They are not issues that warrant discussion here

Any questions PM me. Do not respond to this post in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Agreed, its absolutely sickening. I'd like to say a new low for this thread but the sad trolls on here are pretty consistent with their cruelty and callousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

• Registered Users Posts: 38,267 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

After 8 drinking we shall meet again my chum

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is it a case of that the government need NPHET in place to be able to roll on and off restrictions?

As in with the "emergency" legislation in place, they wouldn't be able to justify having them in place if there is no emergency response committee?

It sounds to me like they are intent on having restrictions for the long term. If the EU are insisting that countries have their updated booster passports throughout all of next year and probably beyond, we might be stuck with NPHET for a long long time.

If we are stuck with NPHET for years ahead, then government should actually be looking to hire actual experts from outside that have no conflicts of interest or long term national goals.

Send Glynn and Holohan back to their day jobs.

Be interesting to see what the attendance will be like this week for the schools. They should really have closed them on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,267 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That's not happening and NPHET wont be relieved of there duties anytime soon

That Disbandment was comical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is zero desire by anybody in government to have NPHET changed in any way. NPHET is their shield.

There is a reason every single public figure is always at pains to point out that they respect and follow the public health advice.

There is a symbiotic relationship there, unfortunately the fact that it is bad for the country matters not a jot to those benefiting from it.

Advertisement