Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

UK (2 days ago article) COVID-19: Doubling time of Omicron could make PCR testing 'meaningless' - is it time for a rethink?

The current speed of growth of the Omicron variant is leaving some public health experts saying it's time to re-think using PCR testing to keep track of the outbreak in the community.

It's dangerously close to the idea of "letting COVID rip", she* said. "We should do absolutely everything we can to never reach that point."

^^^ *Charlotte Summers, an intensive care consultant and professor at the University of Cambridge.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) currently says it has the capacity for 815,000 tests a day.

Ireland: - Tánaiste says 30,000 daily PCR capacity highest of pandemic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

I know confirmed omicron Genome sequenced cases doesn't really matter anymore, with 51.6% of reported cases are now due to the #Omicron variant.

Ireland 144 (+105)

But +105 in the last 24 hours (I think), going unreported is strange?

Reported to gisaid today.

total (worldwide) 62,003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Hard to see what they can do to stop it.

82k cases today with the SA authorities estimating to only be capturing 10% of cases means anything up to 820k people a day are infected.

Thats pretty unstoppable, and if you factor it the shortened length of time for it to double then you have to ask what can actually be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Depends. Your not factoring in whether immunity to Omicron would give immunity to the next variant of concern. If it does then that's grand. If not. Then what advantage would there be to doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm not sure why they're still doing reported omicron cases when we can simply count the number of missing s-gene pcr tests. The number of actual cases is fairly irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Current high cases and low hospitalisations in SA are attributed to acquired immunity (mostly infection not vax) so not reason to suggest it wont.

Its hard to approach it in a what if manner because You can also ask what if the next variant bypasses vaccines more than omnicron?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Yes, and then you can add all the other countries to the list and it is pretty obvious that the symptoms are roughly the same. If it was as bad or even half as bad as Delta we wouldve seen the images from hospitals on our screen some time ago. Instead, it is the same ICU ward reports w patients who have been there for weeks. They are turning a blind eye to those facts on the ground which ARE different from previous waves. But the system is still vulnerable to extra knocks which are sure to come. For that fear everybody now has to pay. It doesnt even matter what all the numbers say. All the equations are useless at the moment because nothing will be taken into account any time soon with the praise fully on whatever restrictions any country has come up with to show whatever they say is important and we all just have to eat the shite sandwich. To give you a real life example: my 3 brothers and i were going to have a wee music session on the monday after Christmas. 2 of them said it couldnt go through because the dutch PM declared: 4 max people at Christmas and 2 on the others days during the holidays!. They are going 'German' on me, my own flesh and blood, compliant w the rules of our great leader, unlike the usual dutch 'well, privately i will make my own rules thank you very much' attitude. Sickening. Meanwhile a lot of people will still gather in shops and be on public transport thinking their masks will give them proper protection. Lunacy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's spreading like wildfire either way.

It looks promising, certainly if it is mild it should be left spread, it's prevention, a natural booster.

If everyone has antibodies then it means Covid is endemic rather than a pandemic.

For those of us with double jabs and booster,it will be another natural boost to immunity.

60% effective against means 60% effective against having symptoms, not death etc. Most of the 40% will have a sore throat, an off day or two but are in the 40% ineffective group because of that.

Still not bad.

It would be quite unusual for what you suggest to happen.

It's possible but the changes would be so big as to be actually a New virus, not a variation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Too many unknown variables here. What if it's 'not' mild? That would result in a calamitous few weeks, the worst of the pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

But those "unknowns" are slowly becoming more known and it's becoming increasingly likely that this is milder. Much to the disappointment of a few on here (not you OP, but others).

Tbf every other wave was always said deaths/hospitizations used lag by 4 to 6 weeks (seemingly this is how long its existed,so hopefully your right)

Id be far far from the governments biggest fan,and know its v.unpopular...but felt they were right to take nphet advice and lockdown as otherwise by time data it was bad/deadly as last brand of covid....it would be far too late to even attempt to begin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

We suspect my husband has Omicron at the minute because of his symptoms. Day 1 he felt like he was coming down with something.

Day 2 Severe Headache, sore throat and bit of a cough

Day 3 Bit of a niggly headache but feels like he has a cold.

Had he not done an antigen on day 2 and said he'd see how he feels in a day or so he wouldn't have got a pcr. That's how mild it is.

He has taste, he has smell, no Temp etc.

I think there will be many missed cases and people putting it down to a head cold. He said he could 100 percent go to work and has been in work a lot sicker over the years.

I think it should be mitigated but that would mean spreading the peak an extra week or two.

Whether it is mild or not we will not be able to slow it down much.

Doubling under 2 days in London now. That's incredible, it will run out of new subjects in weeks.

If it was to be slowed it would take an immediate lockdown with strict enforcement, no travel beyond 5km, no Christmas day dinner etc etc. Even that might not be enough.

That's not going to happen though I'd say we'll likely have a lock down on the 29th for a week or two.

We will be in big numbers, even doubling every 3 dsys will see us hitting 6 figure cases by New year's Eve and PCR testing will not be of any use then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭amandstu

@deholleboom

"Meanwhile a lot of people will still gather in shops and be on public transport thinking their masks will give them proper protection"

Why are you saying that masking (and social distancing?) are ineffective at preventing the spread of the Omicron variant?

Just your opinion or is there direct (or indirect) evidence?

Oh ,who are these people who would apparently welcome a more severe variant of the virus in your opinion?

Why would they hold those views?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Have stopped following the virus news a long while ago after being all about it in the first year but is there any data suggesting the new omicron variant is any more worse than having a bad cold? Are deaths rising? Hospitalisations rising because of it etc? Had covid a few weeks ago and luckily just like a crappy cold (with some shortness of breath with exertion) and tiredness after recovery - may well have been omicron

If not why are we shuttering the country again?

What does that say about masking and social distancing (and ventilation) being ineffective against the spread of Omicron?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Did they not tell you what variant you had? Seems like it would be very pertinent information considering how much more transmissible omicron is likely to be. Country is being shuttered because hospital staff are burnt out, capacity in a hospital could likely see a big increase in a short timespan if the variant does turn out to be more transmissible; which is the equivalent of ordering a pint at a self serve bar tap and it being poured into a half pint glass, and they are also covering their arses because for 10+ years hospitals have been barely able to cope regardless of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

all the speculation is it mild or not it keeping everyone guessing could be and i hope it what it will be remembered fore, further restrictions into the new year just in case

with testing capacity here of only 30k per day we will see that capacity reached very early in the week.

With 4k positive cases a day over the last few days and close contacts of 2 per person thats 8k tests a day gone.

If that doubles by Tuesday ti 10k positive cases AND IF they were able to contact trace (and they wouldnt) it would take 20k tests in the following days.

Add into that people getting tested travelling for Christmas to and from the country.

Add into that people getting tested because they are meeting uncle joe at the weekend and joe is high risk and you wont get a test this week unless you have a red had, white beard, own a few reindeer and international travel is required by your work.

I wonder did they rule out the hotels ventilation as a source. They can often be linked across rooms.

This is the paper on it.

I would be asking about the people they came in contact with from airport arrival, passport control, transport to hotel before jumping to ge conclusion that the virus spread through closed doors.

Also the most interesting line in the piece is this:

“…the number of mutations found in the spike of the Omicron variant is unprecedented. This finding results in false-negative results in some diagnostic RT-PCRs specific for the S gene…”

Is it reasonable to conclude that anyone with symptoms here that tests negative on PCR should assume its omnicron, (I fall into that category)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Things are useful when you put useful information into them and this level of inaccuracy would have had people fired in any other field. The key measure in this, their hospitalisation rate, has been way overstated since summer so they are always going to be wrong. Case numbers too have been off because of that guesswork on the level of undetected infections.

They are not real scenarios, not an opinion, now a demonstrable fact, so it is an utterly useless tool, yet they are the only ones the government listen to. I suppose one positive is that the pessimistic scenario is so risible nobody really takes that version seriously any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

See the details of the Norway party. All had negative PCR tests. One with Omicron went to a party of 117 people. 3 days later 81 of them were infected.

Now thats some spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

They won't like that around here. You'll get 75 South African studies to counter this. Even though there are so many variables with SA and us as to make them pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

It think Its like a powder keg getting ready to light in Ireland.

We are in winter, with hospitals approaching capacity already, Christmas time and a population who think the omicron is just a mild cold so arent really bothered to stay out of the way of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

Denmark data is acceptable 😀 But you really can find a study for whatever you want anywhere.

Advertisement