Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

I've given you my lived experience but that doesn't count? Is my lived experience as a gay person secondary to the optics you can see? It doesn't work like that. I tell you what, why not actually speak to LGBTQ in Galway and hear their views. Or download Grindr and set up a blank profile for yourself. You might get your next door neighbour who's married with 3 kids messaging you. Gay people live where there are lots of gay people who are out and open. Galway has very few and most are students. That is the reality. It would serve you well to accept the feedback of this reality from those who live it rather than engaging in a PR campaign that nobody asked for.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

@marno21 any chance of a clean up on the last few hours of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Very high, and active, LGBT population in Galway. Large presence in both Green and Social Democrat parties. My response is to your posting some clearly, and demonstrably, inaccurate information about the community in Galway. Anecdotal information exponentially and falsely used negates all your other points.

And then compounding it with defensiveness. Anyway, you’ve little to add so I’ll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Are there any mods on this forum. I don't get where the grinder scene fits into the equation but it's up there with some of the arguments against the project.

Galway has one full time gay bar and a few random gay events in a few other places. Spare me this nonsense any further. We have higher expectations than a tiny gay bar and a few random events, hence most leave for bigger cities with more to offer, where it's taken for granted that if you're gay, you're out, rather than the merry go round that is dealing with the (mostly closeted and student) scene in Galway.

I did a quick scan of the Galway gay population, as every single gay person does, on Grindr. There are 105 people sharing their face pic and over 400 closeted people hiding in the shadows tonight. That's the reality, that's how gay people measure it. No amount of whataboutery from a straight person is going to change that, especially when you haven't the grace to even ask anyone who walks the walk what life is like in Galway for LGBTQ, much less accept facts when they're bluntly given to you. You don't get to dictate what gay life is like in Galway when you're not part of it, when I've experienced it and my friends there live it.

Your insecurity with anyone who criticises Galway is your problem. The amount of faux outrage on this thread today because people are hearing things that irk their cognitive dissonance is ridiculous. A true sign you're in a bubble. Maybe deal with the **** show that's been made of the place, or else face facts that Galway is going to grind to a halt, with or without this bypass, leaving young people who expect and deserve better with no option but to move to cities not held back by amateurs who haven't the vision or strategic policy of a donkey. I despair at what's happening to Irish cities. We're going nowhere and what's worse, a large majority are content to allow that to happen.

• Advertisement

Do you honestly believe these two issues are even remotely comparable? That was a vote for a human right that should never have had to be put to a public vote in the first place. We never had to seek the public's permission for straight people to marry.

The will of the people is that everyone should be able to go about their business efficiently regardless of their means, insofar as is possible and where demand and trends justify this. The car is king in Galway due to public policy decisions that made it so. No city that prioritises car ownership over the ability of the masses to transit easily can seriously be considered as advocating for "the will of the people".

Galway in its current design and structure actively discriminates against those who cannot afford a car or cannot drive. No self-respecting city of scale can continue like this, unless you live in Dubai or Dallas, and I doubt they're good models for Galway to emulate.

I've stated time and again that things could be done now to stop traffic arriving into Galway in the first place, but you always ignore these simple solutions.

Ah yes, let those who present as dissidents to the unyielding status quo leave rather than remain and cause trouble by questioning the narrow consensus of the many peculiarities of life in Ireland. Sounds very 1950s of you.

Yet again, you have nothing to say about a solution to lessening the number of cars arriving into Galway in the first place. You have nothing to say because you have no solution and you keep ignoring my very easy one.

You think this dual carriageway will solve all the problems with traffic in Galway. It won't. The problem is the number of cars arriving from a hinterland stretching from Clifden to Claremorris to Gort to Ballinasloe that will merely be dispersed throughout the city until more cars land as sprawl continues. As more people delude themselves into thinking "now that there's a bypass in Galway, I can justify commuting from Clifden/Ballyhaunis/Castlebar/Castlerea/Gort/Loughrea/Glennamaddy" etc etc and the cycle of cognitive dissonance shall continue unabated.

Nope, completely missing the point as per usual. There's no getting away from the fact that unless you reduce the number of cars arriving into Galway in the first instance, Galway will continue to have a traffic problem. The cars will still arrive into Galway from all directions. The bypass may/will merely distribute them.

Bus lanes should not be secondary to car lanes. Cars, be they electric or otherwise, are the least efficient form of transport in a city because they occupy the most space, yet carry the least number of people. Cars should make way for buses and other sustainable transport, not the other way around, because buses are available to everyone, regardless of whether one can afford a car or not, whether one has a license or not. We do urban transport arseways, prioritising the private car over everything else, whereas Europe (generally) does it the right way.

You think you have an indefinite mandate for sustaining the FFG merry-go-round of urban sprawl and car dependancy? Think again. Major change is coming down the line in Irish politics, as young people shun the county council approach to public policy that has run this country for 100 years. This change is occurring with or without the Greens in government; in fact, the Greens are irrelevant, because all parties, belatedly, recognise that sustaining the bad planning of the 60s-present is no longer sustainable. Unless you want to wish us all away by emigration, as happened here in the 50s and 80s, you better get used to this fact.

I know it must be hard to accept you're wrong on these issues because you've never lived anywhere else and sure this is the way things have always been done, but we've had it with amateurs enacting bad policy on a perennial basis. Enough with this crap. You either embrace the change or be left behind blathering in the corner. It'll happen with or without you.

Nah I'll be sound, thanks. I'm leaving in a month for a few years. I'll come home to vote, watch the change unfold, then return when hopefully a sea change in public policy has been embedded in this country, rather than contending with the mess that's going on at the minute. Either way, I'll neither have a chip on my shoulder nor will I have to suffer the consequences of bad policy decisions impacting my life. Enjoy the traffic in Galway in the meantime. 🙃😙😝

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Any roads lads?

• Advertisement

Oldest continuous Pride fest in the country isn't just a random event. Perhaps you could directly belittle the organisers with that patronisation. As well as clubs you have the most significant film festival (Film Fleadh) run by a gay man plus the Gaze film festival, the most prestigious small theatre company in the country (Druid) run by a LGBT couple. The gay denizens of Galway are not confined to students and if you judge demographics by the numbers on a hook-up site I suggest you not bother with seeking a role in the 2022 national Census.

And you don't need to be gay to experience the gay lie in Galway. Pride is a great occasion and I take my young kids. I go to see the Mother DJs when they regularly hit town. The Dirty Circus is brilliant and there are several great local bands I see with LGBT members. People go to other cities for a variety of reasons. Dublin is sixteen times bigger than Galway so obviously offers more. But on a per capita basis Galway is way ahead, particularly in terms of festivals. That's not to denigrate Dublin which I really like, it's just often easier to get things done in a smaller, and cheaper, environment.

Diss the city as much as you like, your prerogative. But be accurate. Please.

Seriously, you need to drop this because it's getting weird. Any gay newcomer to a city judges the city's gay scene by 3 criteria: the numbers on Grindr and/or tinder, the number of blank profiles on grindr vs profiles with faces and finally, the number and extent of gay venues in a city.

I was at Pride 2 years ago in Galway. It was underwhelming and I'm entitled to my opinion. It was underwhelming because the numbers aren't there, as I have told you consistently. It's really not difficult to understand. There aren't many openly gay people living there and for those of us who are openly gay, Galway hasn't much to offer. That's my opinion, that's the opinion of the vast majority of gay people I know in this country, whether you like it or not. Ask the relevant people concerned because you don't know what you're talking about. Yes, there is an LGBTQ presence in Galway who have done great work over the past 30 years or so against many obstacles. That doesn't alter the fact that Galway is simply too small for most gay people to live the kind of lifestyle and meet the density of similar people that can only be found in a city of scale.

This is relevant to the discussion on the N6 because it feeds into a more fundamental argument about what Galway intends to do to not only sustain youth post college there, but attract people who have lived in bigger and more functional cities to move there. Expecting people to lower their expectations, buy a car, be content with a diminished gay scene if applicable and shrug the insanity that is the housing crisis and car dependancy of Galway is not going to attract these people to move there.

In conclusion, I don't really care what you think tbh. I'm not going to justify my experience of Galway's gay scene to a straight person who hasn't the first clue what it's actually like to be openly gay in the West, including Galway, and consistently dismisses my experience as irrelevant. Kindly do one and stop trying to override my experience, which is real and reflects the reality of life for LGBTQ people who continue to leave Galway and the wider region for bigger cities elsewhere. Your attempts to override my lived experience with your unwanted PR campaign to promote Galway is a really bad look and I'm not engaging with your gaslighting any further.

And to paraphrase The Princess Bride:

'Gaslighting. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.'

Use a dictionary dude.

No, you have no facts because you're not gay. You have no insights into the reality of life for gay people so you can't say anything about it, the same way I can't speak for what life is like in Ireland for a woman, or a migrant, or for what the dating scene is like for straight men in Galway. I have 0 experience of these realities, I can only speculate but it would never be factual. You are still determined to dismiss my lived experience of the gay scene in Galway. I've shared your comments with gay people I know there. Maybe then you might actually heed what people think of it.

You have biases and a massive agenda to dismiss my experience because it jars with your fantasy about Galway. Get a life and accept that people have different experiences based on their lived reality. If you want to promote Galway, go for it but you'll win nobody over by shutting down people's experiences as lies.

Attempting to make me question my sense of reality to the point where I don't believe it: that's gaslighting, albeit you're actually gaslighting the people in the forum rather than me because I think it is laughable, if more than breathtakingly brazen, for a straight person to tell a gay person who has experienced the Galway gay scene what's what about gay life in Galway.

You insist on telling a gay person that his experience of the Galway gay scene is wrong because you, a straight Galwayphile with an agenda to shut down anyone who deviates from your fixed view of Galway, says so, no matter how many times I tell you I know more about it than you do by the sheer default that I've lived it.

In your mind, your PR spiel is right because you're from Galway, you're definitely not biased and clearly have no problem accepting alternative view points and constructive honesty about those niche aspects of life in your city that you haven't a clue about. It's pathetic tbh.

You refer to low LGBT numbers in Galway. Clearly nonsense given events, societies and festivals. Anecdotal stuff and feelings are irrelevant when you’ve made false claims that are demonstrably untrue. Getting caught out in lies needn’t lead to defensiveness.

You don’t use the word gaslighting simply when someone disagrees with you. That’s a complete misuse of a zeitgeisty term. Understand it first, then use it appropriately.

Bias not my thing. Am not from Galway but elsewhere on the west coast. I move and work between London, Galway and Bratislava. My issue is with spouters of falsehoods.

And that’s it from me regarding this utterly off-topic tangent. I recommend you give it a break also and your bile be directed elsewhere. There’s enough wrong with the world to be angry about. Direct it better dude, direct it better.

Would you ever just piss off with your lies and misrepresentation of what I said. You brought up a bad-minded tangent by falsely making out my genuine frustration with public policy in Galway is caused by "the missus leaving him for someone better there". Of course that's just a classic symptom of somebody who A: has never encountered alternative viewpoints because he lives in an echo chamber, B: has an unhealthy attachement to a city to the point that his cognitive dissonance blinds him from embracing any constructive criticism of it and C: resorts to ad homimens because he has nothing better to say, thinking he's a hard man hiding behind his keyboard.

You haven't "caught me out" on any lies. Continue believing you have, since it's evidently so vital to your sense of self to believe things about Galway that anyone who's had an active experience of them, such as me, can counter. My experiences are real and valid. They're based on the reality of life before and after a week in June or a few random events in the Róisín Dubh. They're based on the demographic reality that Galway simply hasn't many openly gay or other queer people over say 23. You can blather to your heart's content with nonsense that because lots of people go to Pride, this somehow equates to actual LGBTQ people. Newsflash: many are straight and most are under 23. From roughly that age, most get bored with the limitations of what Galway has to offer and fundamentally, they get fed up looking at the same 100 or so faces who might range in age from early 20s to 40s, and they leave for bigger cities elsewhere.

I suggest, once again, that you actually engage with the community you're talking about within Galway because you're a straight man who has no clue about the lived reality past the optics of a few events. You wouldn't dare say what you're saying in public or to my face. Don't worry, your comments have been shared with those within the LGBTQ in Galway who can make their own statements about what life in Galway is like for those of us it relates to. You're not one of them. Or maybe you're one of those hiding under a blank profile, hiding from the wife, which anyone who's gay in Galway knows is a rampant phenomenon. Too close to the bone to say that too?

The gay scene in Galway could best be described as regional and small, with a heavy student presence, coordinated by strong local advocates making a real effort to be visible via events, but Galway doesn't have the population, scale or density to attract or retain young LGBTQ professionals. No straight man with a chip on his shoulder in defence of a city he doesn't live in is going to change that, much less change the demographic reality that most leave in their 20s never to return.

I'm leaving this forum to ye car addicts who have deluded yourselves into thinking a bypass that is already squandering millions of tax payers' money is going to solve your traffic problems. You can keep your average 40 hours per month sitting in a car, your traffic, bad planning and sad lack of self-awareness where it is within your bubble, while anyone with self-respect goes elsewhere, or takes action, against the odds, to stop the city being run into the ground by amateurs who belong in the bog rather than running a modern city.

Stats please, not guesswork. Still awaiting some.

Get up off your hole and speak to LGBTQ people and organisations in Galway rather than asking for 'stats'. Proof yet again that you haven't an iota of a clue about real life past the optics. You think these things can be quantified like hospital beds? You want a list of the numbers who have emigrated or moved to Dublin? You want to ask people in the census about their sexual orientation? Get a life and open your mouth with the relevant people, which I know you won't do. Visit Nova, Galway's sole dedicated LGBTQ venue, and conduct a headcount of the sexual orientation, age and life plans of those in attendance. I'm sure they'll be delighted to provide you with the data so you crave to sustain yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

M6 - Galway City Ring Road Thread

This has given me a headache to read. Completely irrelevant and very irritating.

Be quiet. Not the place for that sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Can I change my vote?

Not the entire solution but could be part of it. The suggested coast-hugging monorail from Oranmore to Salthill won't be simple but the plans are achievable. There are insufficient buses but room to expand their use. Having far more shuttle trains from Oranmore and Athenry eases some traffic pressure also. Park and rides essential. Pedestrianise most of the centre and shuttle people in. Works extremely well in comparatively sized cities in the UK and Europe (eg Oxford, Bath, Cambridge, Bruges, Essen, Utrecht, etc). Extensive cycling lanes also takes people out of cars. I use both but I'd cycle a lot more if it were safer.

There are no examples of more roads leading to less congestion. West of the river is pretty easy to move about but the congestion issues on the eastern side will not be solved by a distributor road. An expensive white elephant whose cash could be put to better infrastructural use.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Are you implying that the Ring Road is intended to solve Galway's congestion problems all by itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Spiaire

That's what was stated by the City and County Council in a joint statement on December 7th. It was also suggested by several politicians in the last election, most notably Ollie Crowe (FF) and is what is believed by a substantial number of residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

That sounds odd to me, because the recent Galway Transport Strategy (put out by both councils and the NTA) focuses very heavily on improving alternatives to private car travel. Maybe they have all recently changed their policy to claim nothing besides the Ring Road is needed, so if you could link that joint statement it would be very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A cursory look at any Galway traffic related story on social media will show you that the general public largely believe this will solve Galways traffic woes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement