Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

After all the shenanigans today, we could've won that at the end had Tsimikas been a bit more up to the pace of the game and put in the cross for Salah earlier. Missed opportunity. Mo was raging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All I wanted was Matip to Shoot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Tottenham should have had four in the first half. Konate and Matip were playing too deep and not holding the line. The absence of VanDijk is not a mitigating factor for a lack of coherence or composure at the back.

True. But Spurs were playing some of that first half, and missing chances, with a player who should've been sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It’s bad when it’s hard to get the rules right when two broadcasters are saying different things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

19pts from a possible 21pts since the defeat at WH. We really can't complain, now we go again.

Straight red cards for dangerous tackles or violent conduct are 3 match bans which can be raised to more if merited.

So my taking of the red card was Robbo was sent off for a dangerous tackle so I would imagine it's a 3 match ban.

With all the controversial stuff that went on, the performance of our midfield isnt getting a huge amount of discussion.

We made it very easy for Spurs. Morton was lost out there. Don't want to be too harsh on him, but he wasnt at the races. He wasn't alone tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I don't get that or maybe I just don't understand the rules in relation to so-called dangerous challenges. Kane's body position seemed entirely natural for an attempted sliding challenge. He was marginally late, missed the ball and caught Robertson on the ankle with his studs - not with particular force. I can't what he could have done otherwise. If it were a wildly out of control two footed lunge, well fair enough. Klopp would have a case in that event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Advertisement

Might actually be more than a 3 game ban then. Bein Sports seemed sure that a yellow meant he'd get a 1 game ban as he's picked up too many of those so far. If a straight red means an automatic 3 game ban, then also triggering the culmunitive yellows target means he'll likely get a 4 game ban possibly?

Really? I'm surprised you think that. His full studs went in to Robbo's ankle. That's a straight red under the rules.

Robbo avoided injury by seeing the challenge coming and getting his foot off the floor just in time.

Similar to Pogba's on Kieta a while back. The difference is Pogba's French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

*could have

(sorry!) 🤪

At least he's honest, while Kane is like '' it wasn't me, it was the one armed man, when I came home there was a man in my house, he has one arm, he tackled Robbo, find that man! ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Seriously...

If you can't see the problem maybe this isn't a sport for you

Otherwise that post is a wind up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Yeah he looked poor today but you would think two experienced players beside him would've helped him out somewhat better.

There was instances juring the first half hour were he looked totally isolated.

• Advertisement

MOTD

Lets see what they make of it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well on the Harry Kane challenge the commentator calls handball for the ref blowing his whistle. Interesting

Shearer two incompetent referees one on the pitch and one at VAR.

Shearer admits England captains get treated differently after being one himself.

Shearer

''Great game, ruined by two incompetent officials'' ''Kane was a red' '' Penalty all day long, how on earth can the VAR official not get it right''

Mane should have gathered the ball before KAne scored, really weak in that moment. Ball was his all day long, and he lost it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Alan Shearer tearing head Ref Mike Riley a new one on MOTD 2

He is dead right.

Mike Riley and team are just making it up week to week now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They're probably two if the easiest decisions a ref can make and Tierney and VAR messed both up.

Newcastle were robbed of a penalty today as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Advertisement

Haven't watched it yet, previously I have thought match of day was not very honest in their portrayal of bad decisions against Liverpool so that shows how blatant it is. It's shocking in this day and age that a man can go on tv and swear on his childrens life that he touches a ball and that overrules every camera angle, are these liars and cheats of officials accountable to anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The problem with VAR in the Premier League has always been the people handling it. There is an exceptionalism to them and they are also covering each other in the media and with the PGMOL. This can be seen in the VAR booth with the "clear and obvious error" crap. They wrote it like that because they don't want someone's ego to be hurt on the field that they made a mistake, instead setting a higher threshold to overturn the incompetence on the field.

Look at this explanation from Peter Walton,

So he thinks the reason Kane didn't get a red is because Robertson's leg wasn't broken. Also, because Kane isn't a dirty player it would have come into his reckoning. Robertson's only red card before was also more than 10 years ago, didn't seem to have an effect on his decision. They are a joke, both referees and those above them covering for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

The system is rotten to it's core and needs sorting. I'd be for referee's and VAR officials from other countries being brought in so less bias is shown towards certain teams and players. The premier league has the best players in the world but the worst referee's, it doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The decisions got no less galling after a night's sleep.

The fact the likes of Peter Walton are defending it shows what a shambles the whole thing is.

I've seen so many teams fúcked over by officials this season. It's not bias. It's not being a homer. It's worse. It's pure, unadulterated incompetence that is allowed and enabled to continue by the likes of Walton and Dermot Gallagher who try to reason the decisions out - so there is literally no consequence.

In hindsight, with that midfield, no VVD and that refereeing performance, that was a miraculous point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think games like yesterday are wht we won't win the league his season,

We need to hang on, City, Brighton,Brentford and Spurs, and to a degree playing Chelsea at home with 10 men for 45 and not winning will cost us big time at the end

Wgen u win the league u look back amd have managed to get 3 points when u get into those kind of positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Three big decisions in the game and they all went against Liverpool.

Kane - no red.

Jota - no pen.

Robbo - red (and correctly so).

The PL need to do something about the refs. They're just not good enough. The decisions in our game and Newcastle not getting a pen just highlight this. Every week there's at least two very easy decisions given incorrectly that affect the outcome of games.

The league is the best league in the world, many of the best players in world are playing in it and the teams are coached by some of the best managers in the world. Then you have probably the worst refs in Europe taking charge of games. It's madness.

• Advertisement

That Kane tackle looks worse today.

These are the games where you, at the very least, need officials to be competent.

Also, we need to remember, for any other team bar City and Liverpool, that's a good point yesterday. The standard has been set so fúcking high that drawing at a rested Conte team, when decisions all went against us, is seen as failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Kanes tackle is a red all day they can say what they like but it's a red end of,I said a while back that var is ruining the game and yesterday's game confirmed that for me again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

How exactly did VAR ruin yesterday's game? There was an incompetent referee on the pitch and an equally incompetent person behind VAR. Had the referee done his job for the first incident (ie dismiss Kane) there would have been no issue. The fact VAR didn't intervene and suggest a review there but did for Robbo is galling, but that is down to the person reviewing. The technology itself had nothing to do with it.

They need to take humans out of the decision making loop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The squad is suddenly looking thin, while the games are thick & fast. Especially with that double game of 2 games in 3 days, coming off the back of a midweek game also.

VVD, Robbo, Hendo, Thiago, Fabinho all missing now. On addition to Jones & Origi. Potentially more. Salah & Mane need to get rested at some point too.

Does the cup game count towards Robbo's 3 games ban?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Sorry Yes I never put in that the people reviewing these decisions are more at fault than the technology itself,that's the point I was trying too get across

The R in VAR helped ruin the weekend games so therefore VAR helped ruin games over the weekend.

I am pretty sure when everyone blames VAR they blame the R and not the V when they say VAR.

VAR is an all encompassing term that involves people and technology and the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

VAR is there to help the ref.

And it gave the ref, who was having a bad game (and this can happen), no help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

It's a particular type of individual who becomes a referee in the first place. Usually loves being centre of attention and dictating things, the abuse they get is actually part of their buzz too, don't be fooled into feeling sorry for 99% of them.

If the games go ahead as scheduled he will be back for the Chelsea game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What a clown that ref was yesterday. Game is gone if Robertson challenge is a red. Kane should have been gone, why wasn't it reviewed by the ref on the pitch, its as blatant a red card as I've seen.

Pleased enough given the absences to our entire midfield and VVD. Very quiet game for Salah.

Ahh come on Robertson was a red card, ref had 3 big calls to make he got one right with the help of VAR, but VAR did nothing for the other 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just on that last bit, it's games like yesterday that make you realise just how important Virgil is when we have possession, as well as being world class defensively. The amount of attacks that start with his trademark lofted diagonal out to Salah is so much more noticeable when he's not there to make them.

Salah was tightly marked yesterday, no doubt about it, but that pass was on a couple of times and no other centre back can make it as easily as VVD does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

interesting to hear the thoughts on Keita's performance yesterday. At the best of times, he is a divisive player anyways.

Yesterday was a makeshift midfield, with both Milner & Keita starting their first games after injury, and both playing 90 mins which they usually don't last the full 90.

I thought Keita was very bipolar yesterday, albeit in somewhat difficult circumstances. He would have 10 min spells looking great, but then would be lost for 10 mins. and repeat. His numbers from the game do look impressive. Some context needed though as for example he made the most tackles in the game, but it was his lack of strength in the tackle that resulted in the first Spurs goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He’s one who firmly needs to be working off the platform of a proper 6. He’s brilliant at the front foot defending, but poor at back foot defending, so ideally just shouldn’t be put in that position. Much like Thiago, he needs the right version of our team around him - both lads look a lot worse without the stability Fabinho provides particularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement