Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well in fairness they wouldn't be at much if they didn't put a positive spin on listenership figures.

It sort of goes with the job description.

What stood out for me was the actual numbers listening to radio and the choice available to the Irish radio listener.

Between the national stations and the locals we are doing well for a small population base.

Add in all the stations available on the web and it's true to say we never had it so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was reading a Famous Five book with one of the kids.

In it, an idea was gorgeous and a carvanning holiday was delicious.

Now we know what he reads and where he gets his inspiration.

I drive a lot in my work..All the locals do all the illness stories as well..Not a day goes by without indept interviews about some misforunate person with a terrible illness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

In fairness to Ryan, he did give us one delicious word (albeit - not realising how it would be interpreted)..."Montrosia". A place of outstanding and dare I say it, sublime, beauty and gorgeousness where everyone swans about earning huge money for doing sfa as the peasants bow to their superiority and kneel before them hoping that one day they might be acknowledged by a simple, yet gentle pat on the head (by a gloved hand of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

more Band of Brothers and Hilliary Clinton

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Just playing songs and clips that were already played and the classic 'running down the clock' trick of reading out texts, some of which might actually be from listeners.

I know that the producers and Ryan all know that listening to 20mins of a guy reading out texts is not good listening. Coz it clearly isn't.

But it's just so so sickening that they just aren't bothered putting in ANY effort at all in making the show interesting. It's slightly better than the usual cancer stories but for god sake this is the bottom of the barrel.

Just mentioned for the quiz next week, to be in with a chance of getting on air it is always useful to include a little story about yourself.

This means you absolutely must be sick, or recently bereaved. It's actually genuis to be fair.

Thay someone who derives pleasure from the pain and suffering of others has managed to engineer a situation where people are approaching him and comming to him with their stories willingly. Genius.

I dred to think what the toyman would be up to if he didn't have this outlet. Maybe its better off he's kept in this gig, 400k is a small price to pay.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Movie time

ryan has stated he likes to see New York under attack

and then realised what he said 😂😂😂

Fake text from a couple who are trinity graduates who have just learned of dyslexia from the Brennan segment last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Plenty of the old heh heh heh this morning!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Do you have to have a death or serious illnesses to get on to the quiz ?.

Tis the season to be morbid tra la la la la . You're some ghoul tubs

You absolutely do. But what's worse is think about all the emails the Toyman gets to print off and take home for recreational reading from people who wish to be on the quiz and have told their unfortunate stories to be in with a chance of it.

dear ryan,

i'd like to take part in your quiz

Angle: i had lupus and yada yada bitta cancer etc, care for my sister's legless turtle

"This isn't the last time we'll talk"

Sounds like a threat that shouldve been followed by "Give me a shout next time your health takes a turn for the worse"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Its not about you Ryan, were you invited or did you invite yourself?

CPL 593H

Its not about him. But he'll make sure that it is.

I'm going to hazard a guess that DublinLive pieces are written by NK Management.

"publish them, and we'll give you access to some of our stars every now and again"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

There's no indication that he was invited, but he's trying to make it all about himself, like he does with the Toy Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

'Party central' are the buzzwords you're looking for there.

bleak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

What's that I hear in the distance...O yes it's the jingle of documentary tv cameras on their way up the holy mountain.

Quiz coming up I'm guessing sick child who then got better. Has to be bit of sickness to get on

Very harsh caller, Ryan has a history of altruism and doing things for the benifit of others. For instance, remember in early December last year when the vaccines had just become available and were very very hard to come by in the country, he so kindly volunteered to be vaccinated live on air to help US. All of us. The whole country.

“I’ll do it - I took the swab on live TV, I’ll take the vaccine on live TV,” he said. “I’ll do whatever I have to do to help get us all out of this corner and say yeah, this is going to be the win for us all so we can get back to proper living.”

:D

All the while congratulating each other on how 'down to earth' they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So when did RT get vaccinated?

It certainly wasn't in December 2020.

So is Hobiddy giving out about people who comment on his weight. He's very sensitive about his metabolism so don't make fun.

Yet he took it upon himself to slag off yet another baldie on the Late Late last Friday. And he made a very big deal of it too. Gas fella altogether.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/rtes-ryan-tubridy-slams-quite-25710296

• Advertisement

I’m no authority on Swahili but hakuna metabolism is more to do with tubridys knowledge of cartoons than his mastery of the African tongue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

state mouthpiece says its bad but at least its not North Korea

Ryan telling us that happiness is prohibited in North Korea.

Maybe they should broadcast the Late Late on Jong-un TV. Might help people get into the right frame of mind.

Ha ha ha . At least we're not in North Korea ha ha. We're not so bad ho ho I get up at half 5 you know . Green shoots in the garden soon ha ha . We'll all be fine I read books you know . Aren't I great for making ye feel better 🤔

He sounds stunned by the student nurses attitude about actually liking her job despite the poor pay and conditions. Reminds me of when he couldn't get over Kellie Harrington not deciding to go professional despite it being a more lucrative moce financially. The concept of willingly doing hard work and not maximising wealth is just incomprehensible to him it would seem.

andy lee , by all accounts a great person, but sadly i felt he was using that reputation to attempt tolure katie to the murky depths of MTK boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

STOP SAYING WE ARE AT THE END OF THE PANDEMIC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Opens the show with the usual forced jollity and laughing only to swiftly move onto how he feels so weepy lately and welling up more these days, followed by a story of a dog having to be put to sleep.....jesus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Annnd theres the mention of the emotional and physical drain the Toy Show took out of him, wheres my violin?

Don't forget couple of mentions of toyshow .

He's the toyman you know 😊. Even though he hardly mentions that

The Toy Show won't be mentioned for a couple of weeks now.....simply because Ryan will likely take a couple of weeks holidays over the Xmas/New Year period, just to recharge cos his job is SO strenuous.

But rest assured it will be mentioned in January again once he returns. Only 11 months before the next one.

• Advertisement

The one which you play with the smallest fiddle? Keep on loosing mine too!

Fake email/text/letter.

• Jaysus he’s been telling us to start being flexible and doing our going-out earlier. Telling us to be flexible. Easy for one who signs off from work not long after 10am. Most people work until at least 5, Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Just caught the start of the programme but interesting that he mentioned Morning Ireland starting at 8.00 instead of 7.00 as an example of being flexible. How awful for them.

Random caller from Sweden. Very strange.

Chats a bit then bang, there it is.

"My mum had cancer".

Sweet Jesus what it this guys obsession with cancer and death? It's very strange. He could have had a feel good caller on....but no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

He has spoken to everyone with cancer in Ireland already. Talking about a death clear out now.

Plenty of good eggs. And bad eggs (Boris). Load of waffle and bit of death. Bit of cancer . To make him feel good. Just a normal day. Toy show hasn't been mentioned yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I doubt if he would think the shopworkers, the transport workers, the medical people, the Guards were “flexible” if they decided to start at 0800!

RTE are a public service broadcaster funded by the taxpayer.

What makes them think they can put the place on ‘autopilot’ over the Xmas period.

People working way harder on much less will be working all over Xmas.

Crazy stuff.

Starts off the week being teary and saying people need to mind themselves coming up to Xmas, so does he hold off from cancer and death stories for the week. Ha ha 😂 course he doesn't. Wierd

And another caller on......and his mum died of cancer.

Couldn't make this up. A double dose of mum's dying of cancer, Ryan's wee gift to us for Xmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement