Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We will find out fairly soon, maybe even this week, so ease off on the Armageddon for a bit.

I don't think we're at a definitive stage but things do seem to be nudging us towards the mild cold scenario, but lots and lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Because not enough is currently known about it and in fairness the spread needs to be slowed or managed somewhat even serious illness makes up a lower percentage of those infected.

It's awful stuff of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Oh, i think social distancing and masks do help but it is a matter of scale. About the masks it is pretty clear that they helps mitigating against the effects of coughs, sneezes and loud talking. They are rather useless against stopping aerosols and viruses are tiny. Scientists know that and that's why there are almost no proper studies done. There is also the counter argument that it gives people a false sense of security so they take more risk. It is more important to have good ventilation overall and particularly in a place where people gather for longer periods of time like workplaces and education. I do wear a mask in public places. It doesnt prevent me from getting Covid like people seem to think but protects others by me wearing it in the ways i mentioned. It irks me when i see unmasked workers laughing and shouting in public places like supermarkets etc. They are usually not stopped. Anyway, distancing is good. Dont know why you would have to use the adjective 'social' there. Pleonasm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

They shouldn't like that around anywhere! Shouldn't all of us want the SA experience to be correct? And yes, I know what you meant - that a few of us are talking up the positive data - but we are doing it mostly just as a counterpoint to the doom fest in the media. We all know the jury is still out

No evidence that its less severe and it evades vaccination immunity.

Yet the 81 people reported a cold.

The shortened incubation period is great news, the increased ability to spread might be bad, but overall im starting to like omnicron more than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Also, re UK study, I'd argue their data is also far from representative of Ireland. Yes, similar gene pool with similar climate but they have lower (in London, much lower) vax levels and crucially most first doses in the UK were with AZ which has long since been shown to less effective against newer strains. Against that, the UK does have higher antibodies no doubt

Of course. But I'd like the most accurate data. Not a search for good news with a predisposed bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Even as someone who is cautious and will continue to be cautious, it seems fairly obvious this is a milder variant. Initially we were told we'd know a lot more about it in two weeks, yet after a month of it being around, it seems governments are reluctant to spread the good news as long as cases are going up, which is understandable.

Could be half right, half wrong or any variation thereof.

I don't like this foggy, dank weather often brings illness to man or beast.

I'd love an indept analysis of boards covid threads. I'd say users have lower immunity than the average population, due to higher stress levels.

I know I'm here posting, but in my short time here I see a serious amount of stress on display. Posters would probably be better using their time to exercise, meditate, do yoga, pray.. whatever is your form of relaxation. Maybe some sort of group therapy could be organised where we all unwind and get to know each other better. A kind of happy hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

this was prob posted earlier but just in case https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/19/science-clear-case-more-covid-restrictions-overwhelming as people have said, we'll know for sure how bad the new strain is in a couple of weeks . just posting this as the article seems fair and reasonable to me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Most young healthy people who have had Covid since the pandemic began have reported symptoms consistent with a cold. Nothing new in that, it does not conclusively mean it is less severe than what has gone before. But we all hope it is of course.

Saying it’s milder doesn’t really solve much, one way or the other. It probably is because with very high cases the hospitals in the U.K. are not overwhelmed. However given the nature of its increase so far - a doubling every few days - a reduction in severity doesn’t helP much against exponential growth. Cases could easily get to 100s of thousands per day soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

All were vaccinated was the key point I took from that. We already know 99% of vaccinated people have milder symptoms. So they are probably more worried about unvaccinated and filling up the hospitals to be fair. BEcause the issue here isnt getting a bad dose for the vast majority, its killing the health service and the staff in there.

Im not convinced about this booster at all myself, even though ive always been vaccinated for everything with no problems. I just think this approach is a vax first and see how effective it is later. Now i still got the booster, but i nearly didnt bother.

All i care about is that people dont end up in tents at the hospital because the wards are full. Thats what leads to unnecessary deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I assume you mean in the UK !

There is a functional speed limit on just how fast an infection can spread in a population. I'm sure someone somewhere has a formula for it.

Even if it double every 2-3 days, that just means it hits its peak faster. It doesn't mean it hits a higher peak. Looking at SA data and testing volumes, the UK could hit ~200k cases a day at peak, but it'll drop back very quickly. For us that's about 15k cases/day.

And all the older people have got their booster.

If thats what you took you should read it again because Not all but most were vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Exactly. I think most level headed people view any data coming out at the moment wit equal skepticism. Its still early days.

The blind excessive optimism exuded by 'the usuals' on here just doesn't seem rooted in reality and more likely in denial and fear.

For example the poster below you is stating how obvious it is that "omicram is mild". This is just fanciful wishful thinking at this stage.

Also, any poster who links anything that suggests omicram might be a problem is labeled as a 'doomfester'.

We simply don't have enough solid data yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And we most likely hit that last January when the speedometer broke all of a sudden

The Danes yesterday went from nearly 12,000 to just over 8,000 new cases. Now that could be lower weekend testing and we'll need a few more days but since its initial surge it hasn't looked exponential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Where are all the bodies then after a month? It has been ripping through London which has relatively low vaccination levels and nothing much to report in terms of deaths or severe illness. They are basically waiting as long as they can, giving out muddled information, until everyone is vaccinated/boosted before revealing the severity of this variant, IMO.

I agree with that thinking if it is the case, because the variant is so transmissible that even as it appears milder, hospitals will still come under pressure, so it is the right thing to not give people good news because it will stop a lot of them getting vaccinated and behaving responsibly.

Again, I'm clearly speculating, but it has been a month and they're acting like they don't know anything. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I tested positive on Thursday - I'm assuming Omnicrom as we came back from the UK just under a week before hand. I am double jabbed and my wife has the booster. it has absolutely floored me for the last few days - just about functioning today .. my wife didn't get it as bad ... but if those are 'mild' .. I'd hate to even think what the unvaxxed / severe symptoms are like.

Mild would be considered having symptoms that do not require hospitalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Leo: Mr Varadkar said he is hoping and expecting that high infection numbers will not bring hospitalisations and deaths as high as earlier waves.

At least he is reading the data from other countries and not peddling the great unknown, as if we're the first country source again. Could change but at least "expecting" means something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But in fairness 'a mild cold' hardly captures yer man's experience

The case jump in the UK started one week ago. You won't get bodies, as you put it, after a week.

No but mild covers a wide range of bases. Family members have had a flu that floored them for a week at home, as have many others. Medically that's still mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

So, i pose a question to you: at what point in time would official health bodies deem the data to be sufficient? They said they would know just before Christmas. That was said around 10 days ago. Common knowledge has it (from a variety of data points) symptoms appear around 3-5 days so let's say a week to 10 days before people end up in hospital. All the evidence points to upper respiratory tract infection like a cold. At what point do we say: yes, that is the case? My guess would be somewhere in january. Right now we are on message spreading fear w misleading headlines for obvious reasons. It is a delaying tactic. Not saying it is right or wrong, just observing the bleeding obvious. Since more and more data points to the positive one might conclude that the nay sayers are in denial and suffer from blind pessimism. Back up your view w up to date data has always been the way. It is simply not convenient for some to let that trickle through. But more and more people get on board and it is a worry for people in an official health function. They want to lift that focus to after the holiday season when hospital numbers will go up. But I am glad to see the more balanced view gaining ground..

Advertisement