Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Vaccines aren't contagious, no.

For this plan to work you'd need to physically put the vaccine into nearly everyone in the country....oh, wait ✋

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭prunudo

Jesus don't say that, the anti vaxxers will have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, we do the spreading manually, for, you know, safety reasons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just tell them it's a syringe of the "isolated natural virus" and they'll be falling over themselves to get it (with their Ivermectin protection of course).

Do you call the above post stopping a life ficheall, I certainly do, I think its incredibly sad to be keeping a distance from other people and having groceries delivered to the door.

This to me is not living, its existing and I know my mental health couldnt cop with that.

Covid is endemic now, its never going away,it will be booster every few months going forward and you have to believe you are being protected to some extent by this.

A friend of mine was very cautious throughout covid, never went anywhere not even to meet others for a walk.

She now has a brain tumour and the prognosis isnt good, life is very short and you need to enjoy it.

Now Gonehome may not like other people much anyway so he could be enjoying the way he lives now, everyone is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

What's the deal with reinfection?

My family (2+4) all tested positive in early November. At the time just me, my wife and oldest child were "sick" all very minor symptoms.

Now my 6 yo daughter is home from school because she has a very aggresive sounding cough and a high temperature. When she had Covid last month she was asymptomatic.

Am I supposed to get another test for her here? Or is it deemed unnecessary due to such a recent infection?

I had Covid twice, but the first time was March 2020 so a big time gap there..

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

not an expert by any stretch but id be getting antigen tests at the very least if i were you, probably even book a pcr to be sure

hope they come back negative for u

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Why is everybody that is against vaccination so badly treated. I get the militant anti vaccination groups who are against any type of vaccination but their in every walk of life.But what about people who have had issues previously with vaccinations. Wasn’t there a case settled a couple of months ago in relation to swine flu vaccination and sleep disorders or something like that I mean I could understand hesitation from those people and any memebers of their family of social circles. There have been issues with vaccinations before this can’t just be ignored by people who were effected at the time. I think it’s really poor of people to just ignore those peoples wishes.

I’m personally of the opinion that this is in enough arms now to know if we will have any serious side effects and am happy to get the booster when the time comes but I’d like it to be my choice not just because I can’t do anything without it. I also think that if we can get large numbers of adults and kids to volunteer to be vaccinated then leave the others to their own choices. Surely it won’t be that big a number over all Ireland isn’t hugely anti vaccination it’s more about the choice element I think people have a problem with.

I get if you want to travel abroad get vaccinated we have been doing that for years in certain countries so again it a choice but not letting people do things in their own country I think is a step to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd call your GP to be honest. The HSE guidelines are that you shouldn't get PCR tested again unless you're symptomatic, but if she's only recently recovered, there's a very high chance that she'll test positive one way or another. The GP might have the cop on to just see her without insisting on a PCR test. What you don't want to happen is that she tests positive for covid, and the GP refuses to see her for ten days, meanwhile the actual cause of her cough gets worse.

Quick rule of thumb we've been using in our house is that if the cough sounds productive, it's probably not covid. It's not foolproof, but it's worked so far. Someone here has been sick every week since late October, and everyone has been tested multiple times. So there are many, many illnesses going around, especially in primary school kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Because the official line is that vaccines are 100% safe and anyone who experiences otherwise is obviously antivax. No one wants to hear it, and they’ll relish when March comes around and everyone who had an adverse reaction is barred from society. I don’t mind being barred, I don’t want be around anyone who thinks this is acceptable.

• Advertisement

It's been suggested a number of times, but the reality is that it's science fiction. We're not that far ahead in our understanding of DNA that we can edit part of a live virus and have 99.9% certainty that we know what will happen next.

One big problem that you cannot direct the evolution of something that's out of the box, and you cannot prevent evolution unless you prevent replication (which is basically a vaccine). A virus which has been engineered to spread, therefore is capable of replication, and therefore will evolve. You might release the virus today and end the pandemic, but 5, 10, 50, 5000 years later it's descendant emerges with the same level of infectiousness and a 30% fatality rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Like you, I may well be misremembering, but I do have a vague recollection going back to when delta arrived on the scene, of there being different protocols when you were a close contact of a confirmed variant of concern rather than "normal" (at the time) COVID. Can't remember the exact details tbh but it was definitely a stricter regime. They may well have dropped them since delta became dominant.

I stress I haven't read back through all the posts to get to what this current story on here is about, so that may be completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This lad was out in the summer telling us case numbers had decoupled from hospitalisations and deaths and that case numbers weren't the factor when it comes to restrictions yet here he is talking about record case numbers again as if they matter.

Why have case numbers come back into the spotlight again? It's ridiculous!

We should move to an alert level system by county. Alert level 1 - low levels of covid in the community. Alert level 5 - extremely high levels of covid in the community etc.

The media report on case numbers daily and scare monger people. Alert level would mean no "oh fcuking hell!" when 7k cases are announced of which 3k are backlogs.

But it doesn’t have to be as black and white as that. I know a lot of people who trust any type of medicine if it makes them better and far play to them. I know some people who won’t take so much as an aspirin unless they are at deaths door and that’s ok to. The first group far out way the second so why not just let the people decide. The lines outside the vaccination centres show that Ireland will have probably as big a % of vaccinations without the need to bring in certs etc which can segregate people especially compared to other countries in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

No.. Stopping going to the shop is stopping going to the shop. Some people got tesco delivery even before the pandemic.

Keeping one's distance from other people has both pros and cons.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Presumably you wouldn't try to suggest to her that people who don't go to the shop are as badly off as she is, even if that melodrama just rolls off the tongue here on boards.

@robfowler78 wrote:

Why is everybody that is against vaccination so badly treated.

I don't see them being "badly treated". I see them being restricted in being able to go indoors because being unvaccinated places them at a higher risk of hospitalisation, critical illness and death. Thus, in order to prevent excess strain on the health system, people who are not vaccinated need to be removed from higher-risk environments. That's the core of it. You'll find plenty of people framing it as punishment or coercion. But the fact is that the restrictions exist to protect the health service.

@Pussyhands wrote:

This lad was out in the summer telling us case numbers had decoupled from hospitalisations and deaths and that case numbers weren't the factor when it comes to restrictions yet here he is talking about record case numbers again as if they matter.

I'm guessing you've been living under a rock. There's a new variant, which will cause gigantic case numbers. We no idea how many of these will translate to hospital numbers. That's it. That's the whole thing. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Oh I agree with you 100%, I wish we could go back to a less polarised society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Dr Holohan on Morning Ireland. Was delivering a reasonable enough message but very pessimistic & encouraging limited social contacts which is to be expected from him. But the presenter’s line of questions were basically:

• Why are we not in lockdown?
    • When is Ireland going into lockdown?
    • When are more restrictions coming in?

Dr Holohan reassuring the people of Ireland - ‘We are not going away for Christmas’, NPHET will be reviewing the data on a day by day basis.

• Advertisement

Where's the scientific basis for the rule of thumb coming from then? (iirc, the health recommendations on the dryness of the cough where dropped fairly early on?)

If you're basing it just on your home experiment, you could substitute "**** out kittens" for "unproductive cough", and it would be almost as valid..

Huh. Censored words are shortened to four letters now. Iirc, old boards would have given "****ing"?

But they are been mistreated because they are been treated differently then the vulnerable or elderly were in the beginning. We started all this by saying we couldn’t cocoon of segregate any section of society yet here we are doing exactly that. If the vaccination stopped transmission completely I could see the argument but if we can still transmit the virus even after vaccination are we not just doing the opposite to the unvaccinated then we did to the vulnerable/ elderly. They won’t protect themselves so we will enforce it we’re as we wouldn’t enforce or cocoon people in the beginning.

I just think the messages and the ideas that started all this have changed and now we are looking for people to blame and I don’t think it’s right personally.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I thought he was quite reasonable too. And when presenter used Netherlands as an example of another country locking down, Holohan satisfactorily explained the reasoning why they are in lockdown and we are not (....basically they have not rolled out booster whereas we have). Presenter was definitely goading him to say something controversial/sensational!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I guess we can't really be sure we haven't had it!

Nah, the "dry cough" thing still remains, they just updated it to be "usually a dry cough, but not always". The HSE still list a "dry cough" as one of the most common symptoms. So if you have a productive cough, then by process of elimination you would rank covid lower on the list of possibilities than something else.

I agree that it's not scientific, I never said it was. By the same token we don't send the kids into school or bring them into other people houses because we think it's "probably not covid".

We've done enough PCR and antigen tests over the last 8 weeks that I would bet my house that we've haven't had it ... in the last 8 weeks. No idea about the year and half before that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

467 in hospital this morning, up 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Maybe this is stupid but is it possible that there was a variant prior to the ‘original’ Covid 19 version when we locked things down in March 2020. I had a nasty virus back in November 2019 which took a long time to recover from which did have a lot of the Covid symptoms. Probably a stupid thought but wondering nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Have the Monday discharges happened yet or perhaps there will be a big discharge tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's been a lot of discussion about that nasty dose (chest infection?) that hit (and hit me and the OH) in November 2019 but it didn't have the loss of taste\smell or send people to hospital in larger numbers... I had gotten flu jab that year, could have been a flu variant that wasn't in the jab I suppose. It seemed to hit middle aged people hard, elderly not especially, so maybe it had a precursor in the 50s and 60s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement