Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

So you say you didn’t have time to trawl through all the pages, fair enough. At the same time, your opening post had a statement that “no one ever asks it”? So which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What's the point, we've plenty of Rona here already. Advisory home quarantine more like that all will ignore, like the 5 days advisory testing

most people, white collar workers anyway, are working from home, so that isn’t as much of an issue. I always take my laptop with me when I travel for exactly this eventuality.

it just comes down to cost, and it’s just me and my partner, no kids, and so can hunker down in an Airbnb somewhere pretty easily

Covid travel bans permitting, heading to Tbilisi immediately after Christmas, and set up to have to stay there a while in a worst case scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some of the papers today are reporting leaks of NPHET will push for a full lockdown by the end of the month if things dont improve. There is even talk of schools staying closed. No doubt focus on travel will return too.

• Advertisement

Enjoy Tbilisi. It’s a great city- so much to see and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

We’ve been debating if we go to Portugal or not, if the schools close we will definitely go. Pack the laptop and enjoy some blue sky until the schools reopen.

Germany just closed its borders with France (as well as banning UK travel) so I guess that the idea of a common EU wide approach to border controls blown out of the water

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If things don’t improve? Things have been improving and that hasn’t stopped them increasing restrictions over the last month. If other countries go into lockdown we’ll do the same, regardless of what the situation is actually like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I really thought the EU would get a common approach this time around, at least inside Schengen.

Covid travel certs are now pointless, only useful if you want to go to a strict pub in ireland before 8pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

You stated "no one ever asks it" that implies you had searched. Very odd to get offended then and say you don't have time to look. My point was that "lots of people ask it".

I travelled this summer and brought my laptop so I could work remotely if I got stuck or if my kids tested positive.

Other people chanced their arm and dealt with the fall out if they were unlucky.

If that's not an option for you then you are right, you personally should not risk travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I find the question, “what do I do if I test positive?” funny.

Just think about it! Do you ask the government to do everything in your life for you!

At anytime in the pandemic you could test positive. If it’s while away, you make plans around it and get on with it. Be an adult and stop asking for help. This happens to thousands of people every day.

Who mentioned the government? I didn’t. Don’t be so rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

In fairness it's not clear, I would assume I book a hotel room wherever I am situated. Do I have to tell them I'm positive, I assume so, can they refuse to take my booking? If so, do you wander the streets for two weeks?

Exactly just go wandering around the streets for two weeks spreading Covid around some more.

Just do what normal people do, go online book a room for two weeks and isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There are stories of hotels refusing to allow people to quarantine there after they have tested positive... basically saying they aren't a quarantine facility.

It is an unanswered question TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Yes this is a huge matter. Ive told friends to double check that their travel insurance covers them in the event that if they are abroad and test positive to make sure they can sort alternative accommodation. THe lack of direction from the EU on this is worrying. On their reopen side they have very little past what the measures are. Like its designed to disinecentivise people to go away....

Book an Airbnb with a key pad for entry then ie one you can get into without meeting someone on check in. It's one of the filter options.

If that's not available your choices are 1) sleep on the street (and hope you don't infect your fellow homeless) or 2) take the small risk of a brief interaction with reception staff behind glass, check into a hotel, live off room service.

If you/one don't feel like you have the ability to make a call on how to put a roof over your head if you/one tests positive then international travel during covid is best avoided.

How is it a huge matter?

I’ve stayed in all sorts of accommodation around Europe. Not once did I have to disclose that I had Covid or not. Just check in and go to your room and isolate. Pay the bill and go home after your isolation period.

It really is that simple.

Would you want to stay in a hotel if you're quarantining? Surely an airbnb or apartment with a kitchen would be more suitable anyway. And would be no issue in booking into that type of accomodatiion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

I was travelling recently and our hotel said in its rules that it cannot be used as a place to quarantine. I guess Air BnB would have been the best option but they can be difficult to find sometimes depending on where you are.

Another problem is how do you get food and medicine delivered if you are in a country with no family or friends to support. Takeaway food 3 times per day? Maybe call the local police station and ask them to do some shopping for you? This scenario is putting a lot of people off travelling.

"Putting a lot of people off travelling"

Yes. That's by design.

Having said that I've never seen anything in the last 2 years asking me to confirm I'm not quaratining from covid and I've been in multiple countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Apart from your moral compass and the "greater good", what's to stop you leaving the hotel if you are trapped abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Looking at booking 5 days in Gran Canaria early Jan, found a decent deal and flights are spot on... fully vacced and will be be boosted too... Just hope some dramatic change in the travel restrictions don't come in....

You mask up and just go essential food shopping.

if you can afford it, are not travelling with children, and have a job that you can do remotely, it’s not that big a deal

we are going to Tbilisi for a few days immediately after Christmas and taking the laptop for exactly this eventuality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I assume you might be sick, like fever in bed all day. It sounds like a tough spot to be in. Foreign country on your own, fever, hungry, afraid of being tossed out on the street for having COVID. Have to go get some food and medicine without being noticed. What a nightmare.

People who are vaccinated but still terrified of getting extremely sick from covid simply won't travel.

If you ended up in a hotel too sick to even pick up the phone for room service you should probably call an ambulance.

If that's too frightening a thought don't get on a plane.

Chances of a young triple vaxxed person getting that sick abroad are tiny. I haven't hear of it happening myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Quags

NPHET/Gov have done exactly what they set out to do by introducing these guidelines, they have scared thousands into not travelling due to them getting fear of Covid, which is mad considering before vaxxed people needed tests to travel they could pass the virus on & didnt bother them then. If you wear a proper mask, wash hands etc then you wont catch it.

I have being abroad 4 times since August, we cant keep putting our lives on hold but again if your willing to forgo holidays "incase" you catch Covid then so be it

I’m vaccinated, boosted and in good health. I’ve had Covid and it was nothing. So not worried about your scenario even a little bit.

But, yes, people in more vulnerable categories, or unvaxxed, probably think careful before travel

• Advertisement

Advertisement