Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Do you know why they said we will know a lot about the severity of the variant in two weeks but that was a month ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Correct. Around half of specimens in London dated 11-12 December had s-gene target failure associated with Omicron, and this was a few days ahead of the rest of England.

So we'd expect to see hospitalisations rising first in London, around now.

The latest data on hospitalisations on the dashboard is from 15 Dec. They've been climbing steadily since the last week of Nov but not alarmingly so.

Not sure whether there's a more recent source of London hospitalisation data.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The variant didn’t originate in the UK. It’s been in South Africa for longer and there is increasing evidence from there that it is milder. It will take time to know for certain of course, but the evidence is adding up. The obsession with waiting to see what comes out of the UK is a bit odd to me.

That graph doesn't differentiate between COVID-19 cases (people who arrive to hospital because of COVID-19 disease) and incidental cases. To establish hospitalisation risk from the Omicron variant, we must make a clear differentiation between the two.

A patient arriving to the hospital with a heart attack, and subsequently found to be COVID-19 positive but asymptomatic, does not an Omicron patient make. It's an incidental finding.

Last time I checked, 50pc of Omicron COVID-19 hospitalisation cases in London were of incidental nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

While I do think we need to protect the health service and that we should be making sure this new variant doesnt overwhelm us, I do think that the HSE and others have been, shall we say, picking the data they release for reasons of information control.

We do need people to follow basic rules, but most people are now seeing through this information control and will just not believe anything they are told to do from the HSE or NPHET in future.

They have been economical with the facts and are releasing for effect

The variant is not necesarily milder. It is having less of an effect than previous waves, but it is impossible (according to various experts) to separate the innate virulence from the effects of infection-aquired immunity, and then to transfer that conclusion from a mostly-recovered young population to a mostly-vaccinated old population.

The science is uncertain at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Naw not really.

There are those at risk from this and those who arent, you can say that it effects those who arent at risk but thats tiny.

Feel free to post better graphs.

The point I was making is that we don't have London hospitalisation data recent enough to see the effects of an infection spike that only really got going a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's an interest in how it progresses there but more so Denmark so we'll have an idea what we might expect. That both do a lot of sequencing is useful too.

• Advertisement

There are pressures at this time of year anyway, irrespective of whether COVID-19 existed.

Restrictions depend on data such as this; to differentiate between hospitalisations due to COVID-19 disease and incidental cases.

As I said, 50pc of London COVID-19 Omicron hospitalisations are incidental findings. This would suggest that, as with South Africa (which reached 70pc incidental findings), the Omicron variant is far milder.

Furthermore, they've also established that Omicron reproduces 70x more in the bronchial trees but 10x less in the alveoli region (the region that gets filled with fluid to prevent oxygen-carbon dioxide exchange). This, again, is favourable news because damage to the alveoli region is what precipitates severe illness.

All evidence points to the conclusion that Omicron is far more transmissible, but far milder than previous variants. Yes, a small proportion will become sick, especially given the spread of the virus, but that's an natural inevitability and cannot be avoided. What's excellent about this variant is that it can induce natural immunity among the population at a far more minimal risk to causing deaths.

Herd immunity should be established by Spring as almost everyone is going to catch this variant over the next couple of months; a large slice of whom will be asymptomatic cases, perhaps as high as a third.

This Omicron variant is the beginning of the end of this pandemic, and we should be glad it has come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

A virus never moves in a linear fashion. If we just concentrate on cases it isnt at all like the classic one grain doubling per section on a chessboard. And neither can we say that the peak is influenced by x amount due to restrictions. Mitigation, yes, percentage unknown. Even in unvaccinated unrestricted countries a virus will reach a peak. There might be a doubling in cases at some point but it does not continue.

All i am really saying is that any equation w multiple variables is dubious. It is true for the CO2 debate as well as for Covid. Thats why projections and models need to be adjusted constantly. I hope they will at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd imagine its because like the UK, we are on average older, fatter and probably have lower vitamin D levels than the South Africans who are in mid summer now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Exactly, when people say mild, I think they assume a runny nose for two days or something. I need to be in and out of Ireland in a seven day window and attend a bachelor party and not infect my parents in their seventies. Everyone is telling me "ah sure it'll be mild anyway". That could mean delayed flights and work, 2 weeks in bed and an entire extended family's plans messed up. Mild could be the sickest I've ever been in my life, I've never had a cold for longer than 3 days before.

I haven't a clue.

Everyone from the WHO down have made erroneous statements in this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Scientists were still speculating if Delta was more severe than Alpha 2 months after it was discovered, There was some early speculation that it could be milder. It took several studies and a collation of data before they could speak with a degree of certainty on its severity.

Science takes time. We are learning more everyday, but it might be as late as January before anything conclusive comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Just to take a broader view on the whole situation, it seems that at a very high level there has been a steady but consistent reduction in the deaths to cases ratio. Particularly evident in the last few 3 or 4 weeks. Overall, after each global wave the death ratio has fallen each time, vaccines, natural immunity and treatments all playing their part to slowly move us on from the pandemic era to endemic era. Hopefully Omicron speeds this up further.

Actually we don't know where it originated, but where it was first noticed. Could have originated in the UK, travelled to South Africa, and was noticed there first. South Africa, and all of sub Saharan Africa, fares pretty well from covid given how young the population is, they also probably have some natural immunity even if vaccination levels are low. In fact without the booster we don't seem to have much protection in the North at all. And it is winter here so the spread might be even worse.

• Advertisement

Sure, I've read all the same stuff you have. I'm hoping it's effects will be far milder in our highly vaccinated population.

But the scientists are not drawing strong conclusions yet, so I'm holding fire also.

It's just really unfortunate timing that actual data on hospitalisations from roughly comparable populations won't be available until the pre-Christmas fun season has been abundance-of-cautioned into the weeds.

Just the South African thing. Summer 2020 had little covid here. No deaths. Once October comes hospitalisations and deaths climb. Ok variables like lockdown levels. But regardless of people being freshly vaccinated, hospitalisations and deaths rose in October. Winter season worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You also have to remember here that cases are only detected test confirmed cases so the actual number of cases is higher while the deaths included from/with covid figure is accurate the cases number essentially amounts to a guess, as vaccinations lessen the need for tests and asymptomatic cases due to immunity grow the number of actual cases should be higher and creating more and more of a gap over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Totally agree, if anything the data is hiding an even greater reduction in CFR at this stage. Seems to be heading a in a pretty predictable trajectory in comparison to other pandemics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Apart from the real potential to overwhelm hospitals, - in multiple ways -medical staff having to isolate themselves etc, my concern is for people who are already suffering from the impact from previous bouts of Covid - long Covid patients.

Many are impacted with kidney issues, reduced lung function etc. This is something that I haven't seen too much data about yet, but Omicron is still in it's early stages of data capture - regarding impact, both health and system wise.. I read that the UK has sequenced over 24% of ALL samples on the GISAID database and an average 13% in the past month cases have been sequenced.

Well if someone can find that I would be interested but I can't see what would stop a virus from spreading and increasing exponentially in an immunologically naive population except changes in behaviour, or herd immunity caused by vaccines or natural immunity. In the original breakout in 2020 projections were to hit herd immunity without lockdowns by April or May. That was considered unacceptable in most countries, although the UK toyed with the idea, because the hospitals would be overwhelmed. That would have meant maybe 50-70% of the UK population getting it back then given a presumed R value of 2-3. So there would have been up to a million cases per day at peak given it would mean 30M to 45M in total infected.

Even the common or garden flu with an R value of 2 or so, up to 40M people get it every year (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html) in the US, which must mean 1 million people at peak. The whole thing only lasts a few months.

Its possible the formula you are looking for is r-1/r which is the herd immunity needed to stop viral transmission. With an r value of 2 50% of people will have to get the virus to ensure herd immunity. With an estimated omicron r value of 5 you would need 80% of people to have herd immunity.

Contrary to that there are the boosters, masks, and restrictions which will no doubt stop it reaching everybody it could.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Long covid is unfortunately being pushed under the carpet at the minute. I know of at least 4 people suffering from it at present. 2 are unable to return to work in any capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Moreover, people seem to have forgotten that most deaths occured due to auto immune disease, ie the immune system releasing cytokine storm and inflammation to get rid of the virus causing massive tissue damage. Not the virus itself. This time that main factor does not seem to be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From what I know the main issue is fatigue. The feeling of being tired, not able or wanting to do anything.

Been there before. It's a strange kind of feeling. You don't really know why, you don't feel particularly sick, just tired. It can be quite debilitating for a while. You wouldn't want it stretched out over weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If two thirds of nearly all the population become symptomatic over the next 2 months it would be absolute carnage and not just for the health service.

Hopefully that scenario doesn't happen.

Advertisement