Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Spiaire

Well, if it's on social media, it MUST be true..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

I really couldn't care less about what the "masses" believe - it is simply not relevant. All I care about is what the professionals and institutions responsible for planning believe. The documents I have read (such as the Galway Transport Strategy) would suggest that the planners expect the Ring Road to help reduce congestion only as part of a multi-pronged strategy which includes a strong public and active transport element.

As an aside, I would be very cautious taking what you read on social media as representative of the "general public". In my experience, the actual general public have got better things to do than engage in comment wars on transport policy stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OpinionN

There seems to be a kind of culture war playing out, with identity politics taking to the fore with regards this project in particular but also with regards road construction more generally in Ireland.

The majority of people in this country drive. The people who believe that an outer distributor won't solve traffic problems, likely drive. The people who believe that better value can be got by investing in other elements of Galway infrastructure likely drive. The people who are hoping to see less emissions in urban areas likely drive.

The only "us and them" that needs to be discussed here is whether you believe that this road will be a solution to Galways traffic congestion problems or or whether you believe that this road will perpetuate more traffic problems.

Even many of the people who are in favour of this road believe that it will not fix Galway's traffic problems. The solution to Galway's traffic problems will be investment in the alternative transport modes. That's the reality. In that context, seeing a heavy focus on one road (€600m, years of work etc) is disappointing. If it were announced as one complimentary measure beside a huge level of investment in prioritising alternative transport modes in the city core, it would likely win over the likes of me. But right now it's pretty much this road as an isolated infrastructure project.

For the record, I don't think that I should be pigeon-holed for that. I drive, just like everyone else. I'm not a wealthy Dublin urbanite or anything: I haven't been on a bus or train in years and have crappy public transport options. The pedestrian and cycle infrastructure around me is dismal. I don't for one second underestimate the fact that many people in Galway currently feel that they need to drive. But I can think all that and also look at this road and see a white elephant.

Frankly, I don't understand why the road project is not wrapped in "supporting measures". You'd get rid of a large chunk of the opposition pretty much overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Anyone against the bypass clearly doesn’t drive too much … certainly not along the one path that every vehicle has to go to get across to the west … I regularly see big tractors, lorries etc with big trailer trying to get across the city just so they can head out to the far side of Galway…all crossing the quincentennial bridge .. they have no choice but to go through the city, increasing pollution and traffic, just to get across to go to moycullen, furbo, clifden etc …that’s crazy!

there needs to be a bypass to remove this from the city and also allow people quicker access to the very west of Ireland , if there’s any hope of increasing jobs and wealth to that side of Galway and bringing it up to speed with rest of country!

in regards to the city itself… once the main traffic traveling west is removed , they can then go about pedestrianizing some roads … I’d definitely be on for a gluas/light rail system too which will reduce traffic into the city and give tourists and people in Suburbs a better travel alternative

• Advertisement

Well that's fine, but Galway is not getting a bypass: this road is a distributor, not a bypass.

This is literally the reason the majority of posters who are against this road, are against it. It's not a bypass. It's a distributor. It's designed for urban traffic and to facilitate development. It won't function as a bypass, because it's not designed to. It will facilitate urban development. There's nothing wrong with that either. But if you want a bypass, then you're going to be disappointed by this road.

I do drive. I suspect I drive WAY too much. I've been stuck commuting on the other bypass-distributors (M50, N40) for so much of my life that I got to the point where I asked "what is the problem here?". Answer: many junctions in close proximity to an urban area stops a road from working as a bypass.

On the discussion of Tractors etc, yep, they're regularly seen in the bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic on the N40. We're spending a few hundred million euro more now, just to get a little bit more free-flow on that "ring-road".

JLT: 1998, KRR: 2006, BRR: 2013, SRR:2013, Dunkettle: 2023?. The next "just one more project" on the N40 will probably be Douglas, then on to the next bottleneck and rinse and repeat. The curse of the "bypass distributor".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Statement reported everywhere, both locally and nationally. For the full declaration check the official sites for both councils.

Sorry I didn’t know that , I better look at the plans so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I agree with what you have said, and particularly the identity politices. We have those who want the Ring Road build dismissing everyone opposed to it as "Greenies" with "Greens are ruining the country" type retorts. It is much easier for them to dismiss others like that than address the outragous amount of money which is proposed to be spent bypassing Galway (and they also accept that even more is then needed for public and active travel). I am sure that this project will be scrapped when the enormous cost is weighed up against the limited benefits of it. That has nothing to do with "Greenies" or the environment, it has everything to do with the misguided belief that car commuters should be facilitated at any cost.

I drive, and in the words of a poster above 'probably too much.'

I also cycle and would do much more if there were more, and safer, cycle paths as well as the development of the Barna and Connemara greenways which would remove some traffic off the roads. However public transport is the main issue. We need greater development of rail, Gluas and bus routes alongside Park and Rides on the periphery.

As a driver I'm more than happy to use my car much less when decent alternatives are offered. The distributor road, and the gridlock it'll bring offer nothing to me nor my fellow residents.

• Advertisement

Same as that, I would happily use other alternatives if available to me… but they do have to find someway of removing the heavy traffic going west … it’s a joke at present. By the sounds of things they are going to make a bolox of it like they did with the headford rod lights…

I'd generally agree but if you talk with people that drive in Galway on a regular basis there's a strong belief in many of them that this planned road will be a resolution to all their woes. I'm not saying it's a scientific study, but largely anecdotal evidence suggests the above.

There's a WhatsApp group for the estate I live in on the western side by NUIG. It's roughly evenly divided between those who see this as a white elephant/environmental mess and those who see it as a solution to all the traffic woes. That's only anecdotal but I'd assume it's repeated throughout the city and commuter towns.

The quantities of traffic that need a bypass (emphasis on need!) are apparently small. Apparently (according to the studies published) the majority of traffic in Galway is local, going from one part of the city to another part of the city, rather than trying to get past the city. The solution to that urban congestion is a transition more efficient transport modes within the urban area.

That's extremely difficult to achieve, I don't mean to make it sound easy. Like, the scale of the effort is absolutely enormous.

It's only a small example but the NUIG Park & Ride service is very efficient and an example of how it can be done on a bigger scale.

But you have a section of the country that’s left out by terrible bad roads… no link to the rest of country … it’s never goin to prosper if left like that…

Yep there's people west of Galway cut off from employment centres and services. Even a section of the city is cut off from employment and services.

The concept/idea/argument for this project is "we need to build this road, so that we can do important urban transport stuff in the city centre". But, that hasn't worked out elsewhere. For instance the NTA maintains that the Dublin Port Tunnel is their "most successful active transport project, because it got rid of so much HGV traffic from the city centre". Yet the NTA are still in a battle to try and improve the mode share in Dublin and a large amount of HGV's still enter the city without permits.

And Cork's mode shares are even worse than Galway's despite the N40, which is pretty much the analogous project to the Galway ring road. So it looks like there's no alternative really to just getting on with the difficult urban transport stuff in the city centre.

But I'm mostly just pointing out that that this isn't some "greeny" "urbanite" "yuppie" person pontificating about how everyone else should live in utopia, I just don't actually believe that this project will solve the current congestion problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave the politics out of this. This sniping is not to continue - posts will be deleted, and those posts that quote them. [I cannot delete quoted passages of deleted posts - new software]

The road has ABP planning, so the next hurdle for this road is the funding, which is political, but decided by the Gov. There will be legal challenges to this road - no doubt. Some could well be on the effect of the climate change legislation.

So all posters are equal, no matter where they live, and no more 'Woke' or 'Dublin 4' type references, please.

Sure, but the assorted thoughts of the man on the street have very little relevance to the discussion. They're not the ones setting transportation policy, choosing options, and signing construction contracts. Those duties belong to the councils and the NTA, and according to the documents those bodies publish, they all view the Ring Road as only a part of an integrated transport solution for Galway which includes much more public transport.

It doesn't matter what the man on the street thinks the Ring Road will do, it only matters what the people charged with deciding Galway's transport policy think it will do. All the rest is noise and hot air.

Yep, the team behind this project literally state:

"A key conclusion of this initial assessment of the transport problem was that through traffic or by-passable traffic is not the major component of the problem and that any improvement to the national road network, if required, needed to be developed within the context of an overall transport strategy for Galway that comprehensively considered all modes."

They go on to state that the Galway Transport Strategy is the proper solution to the Galway traffic congestion issues. To that end, the GTS states that the core cycling network should be complete by 2024, the core bus network by 2024, the radial bus priority measures by 2021, the congestion charges in 2019 or so, and the ring road should begin in 2021 and be complete in around 2030.

• Advertisement

Don't disagree with those points at all. I'm aware how transport policy is created. Just pointing out that many uninformed points of view on this road are out there and are hugely prevalent throughout Galway.

explain how this infrastructure be build for cheaper?

Sure its fierce cheap to not build it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

To build it cheaper: Don't tunnel. Don't build as Type 1 DC. Remove one or more junctions - they are very closely spaced and will affect traffic speed on road.

Any of these would require new planning, though, and if new planning is required, there are so many better ways to spend half a billion on Galway's road infrastructure.

In case anyone wants to start throwing stereotypes around again, I personally would be happy to see every cent of this project's budget spent just on roads, just in Galway. But not this project. It's the wrong answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Your insistence that the cost of the project is due to environmental objections is as ridiculous as your claim that the people voted to build the Galway Bypass. On the first point, please explain how environmental objections added more to the cost of the project building large and complex engineering structures like tunnels and viaducts. It's the huge cost of labour, plant and materials that goes into designing and building these which sees the cost of this well above other projects.

On the second point, the number of people who voted for any of the government parties based on building the Galway Bypass is very small. Most people in this country aren't bothered about it and it wouldn'thave crossed their mind when deciding who to vote for. I'm sure most would see c.50km of dual carriageway elsewhere at the same cost as better value.

Still waiting for you to come back with examples for last week's claim of multiple infrastructure projects being held up due to bike lanes. Must be a week at least now.

I don't think too many people are saying "build it cheaper". For instance, I'm saying spend way MORE on Galway infrastructure, but that the priority is the difficult bits in the city centre that the GTS explicitly states should come before this ring road.

But anyway to reply more constructively, if you really want to build it cheaper, you can kill two birds with one stone by converting it into an actual bypass which has a chance of working: get rid of the excess junctions. By all means plan a distributor network inside that, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Let them pay for it if they want this road that much. Since there is no provision for walking, cycling and public transport won't be using this road its only fair that motorists pay their share for a road that only they can use. Plenty of ways to generate revenue be it from a toll, increase motor tax, fuel tax, VRT....

That's a bit silly. I won't be using any infrastructure outside of Cork South Central on a regular basis, does that mean that my taxes shouldn't partially fund greenways in the Midlands, schools in Louth, or hospitals in Donegal?

Pretty much everyone benefits from better national infrastructure, either directly or indirectly. That's why we share the cost of building and maintaining it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Ireland trains

They also voted for a government which pledged to drastically reduce emissions in less than a decade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement