Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to talk to that family member...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

I will not be volunteering for the booster

im not a covid denier

I got the first two, how many more? How many times was I asked for covidpass?, does anyone really give two shíts anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

People get a flu jab every year because the flu constantly mutates. If you were comfortable getting the first two then what's the issue with the booster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

The flue has been around for a long time so there was never any impetus to speedily introduce a hastily prepared vaccine for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The flu changes too rapidly for a consistent vaccine.

COVID 19 is a much more stable virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yeah but I was responding to a guy who already got the initial vaccine x2 so not sure what the issue is with a booster

Also covid-19 is a strain of a virus that has been around years and is well understood, they had many vaccines within weeks of discovering it in early 2020, and they all had to go through the same procedures as any other vaccine (albeit it was fast tracked due to the gkobal resources behind it). The vaccine wasn't created hastily from scratch but was a tweak to existing technologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Doesn’t seem to be more stable. Either that or the vaccines don’t work. Amazing the amount of fully vaccinated people who are still getting covid ?

and yes I am vaccinated with a booster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I find it's getting harder and harder to distance from anti-vaxers arguments as we have been sold a load of bollix with the vaccines. Initially you had a soft sell with the vaccine that you were basically immune from the virus and couldn't spread it by politicians and low level health professionals, this was later prooved to be complete rubbish, this didn't stop fools almost having what could only be described as public sex with people they hadn't interacted with previously in a grand total 18 months.

At the moment the way I treat the vaccine is it's purely to protect the person taking it and that it offers near zero protection for anybody else, I believe this is how everyone should treat it to elininate the spread of the virus. At this stage I don't care if someone has been vaccinated or not, their choice, I don't regard them in any way as spreading it more or less but I do believe if they are vulnerable they have made the wrong decision in not taking the vaccine to protect them and I will make zero change to my life around them besides the minimum law at the time of meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The language in that piece of tripe is akin to talking to get a toddler to eat its dinner.

Across Europe, countries with more intelligent populations than Ireland, are struggling with vaccine uptake.

Im vaccinated myself, but I will say, the few unvaccinated I know, have predicted the course of this incredibly accurately.

Turns out, the most pro vaccers, have been talking the most bollix all along

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope, it wasn't a tweak to existing technologies. The viral vector types kinda were, but the mRNA types were not. Before covid 19 there wasn't a single product based on mRNA technology fully licenced for human use. A few therapies based on the tech were stopped at animal models because the risks of side effects were too high to enter human testing. Vaccines were seen as a good option, if a less luctrative one before covid, because doseswere lower and fewer, though now we're apparnetly looking down the barrel of boosters every six months. Moderna who were set up over a decade ago to bring therapies based on mRNA tech to market only have one product after all that. Their covid 19 vaccine.

Oh and while coronaviruses as a type have been well studied, creating vaccines for them was extremely difficult. There was research into SARS and MERS, but that faded out because the viruses faded out so there was no money in it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Come on so, share with the classroom what these people have predicted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The flu vaccine has to be tweaked each year to suit the flu strain that develops for that year.

The Covid vaccines haven't had to be tweaked for any variant yet. I guess that could be taken as more stable - the mutations have not been severe enough to require the vaccines to be changed. Of course, Covid-19 is a mere baby compared to the flu, which has been infecting people for hundreds, and possibly thousands of years.

As for the vaccine not working, well, that depends on your definition of "working". No one with any serious medical credibility ever claimed that it would fully prevent infection. Efficacy was always measured on the effect on severe illness, and by that measure, the vaccines seem to be a success. However some people's expectations of what a vaccine could do seem to have been overly optimistic. Not blaming people for that, the popular rhetoric encouraged it.

I do fully admit that it's very disappointing that it seems that their effectiveness seems to wane after 6 months or so. Getting a booster twice a year is not a sustainable solution, especially since the vaccination system that worked so efficiently for the initial shots is no longer operating that that level. I think there'll be an ok level of update on this booster campaign, but not to the same extent as the initial vaccine rollout, and it will further diminish if required again in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

They had been talking about the over reaching powers of governments and an erosion of democracy. look at the laws they are passing in the UK now

They said they would make the vaccines mandatory, that's happening in a few countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well that video snapshot sure convinced me that it was going to be an impartial, scientific, peer-reviewed and insightful article.

For me, I wouldn't invite an unvaxxed person to my house. They claim it is their right (And, it is). And it is MY right not to allow anybody I don't want onto my private property. And they can scream discrimination aaaalllll they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Terrible advice.

Don't talk to your family members about politics if you want to enjoy your Christmas.

"We're here as a family to enjoy Christmas together, not to get into political arguments"

If you're such a mug that you're going spend Christmas Day summarising WHO memoranda for your relatives I feel sorry for you.

And by the way am I the only person who resents being told by print media how to interact those closest to me?

Bloomberg ran a similar article, in case you need advice from the financial press on how to relate to your own family.

Perhaps the Wall Street Journal can tell you how often you should make love to your wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Thats exactly what the video is, Geogre Monibot is a well respected journalist and author of multiple books.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Monbiot

Would your family members, friends and acquaintances who you've excluded from your house "scream discrimination" though? Or would they just take it as a signal that you're cutting them out of your life?

Because it's not as if random unvaccinated strangers seek to enter your kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I wouldn't invite an unvaxxed person over for Christmas, no matter how closely related, and if I knew I was going somewhere that an unvaxxed person was going to be present, I wouldn't attend.

Two reasons;

1) the health risk

2) that person, whoever he/she may be, is an absolute c*nt and I wouldn't want to meet such a person over Christmas.

It's the season of goodwill, not the season of combatting misinformation.

Here is a scene of the typical Christmas 2021...

Dad: It's a pity Granny Folan couldn't make it this year.

Uncle Brian: Can somebody pass the salt?

Mollie (7): Look I drew a picture. Look! Look!

Cousin Frank: The All-Ireland is starting up in January this year.

Sile: Will you go to see Waterford play?

Cousin Frank: Yeah I'll go at least once. Against Kilkenny maybe, then Joe will come with me

Eoghan: I've just been reading the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene and it's come to my attention that misinformation comes with a high cost. 800 deaths were related to just one Covid-19 prevention myth, namely the consumption of methanol as a folk remedy for coronavirus. I am both frustrated and concerned. I see such avenues of misinformation as contiguous with vaccine hesitancy.

Uncle Brian: I still need the salt...

Eoghan: It's okay Uncle Brian. If you've fallen down a Facebook conspiracy rabbit hole I can help you out of it.

Uncle Brian: ...only the soup tastes a little bland without any flavouring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well that video snapshot sure convinced me that it was going to be an impartial, scientific, peer-reviewed and insightful article.

Maybe I dunno watch it? The guy is a right on leftie journo for outlets like the Guardian, hardly some moron on facebook. He's not someone who I'd be in much agreement with in many cases, yet he's outlining very serious and worrying points about UK politics and policies. Not nearly the issue here in Ireland. Why? Because we tend to be a fairly servile lot easily swayed by the parish and what it decides is fact and we don't tend towards extremes in politics. Still it's not hard to imagine freedoms being eroded in this country and too many with the same parish pump mentality will go along with it and make outcasts of those who might raise questions...

For me, I wouldn't invite an unvaxxed person to my house. They claim it is their right (And, it is). And it is MY right not to allow anybody I don't want onto my private property. And they can scream discrimination aaaalllll they want.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That's genuinely sad if you are estranged from family members.

...and you won't have any opportunity to combat misinformation this Christmas 😟

Maybe you could call up your absent family members and combat misinformation over the phone?

Btw a quick test can tell you whether someone has covid or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

you're not alone, why anyone wants to add journal stories here aswell is beyond me that website is a farce with morons who think they are journalists.

But getting back to the original point, why spend time with anyone who's opinions you can't handle, especially on a family day anyway.

Ah no, I've not had anyone screaming discrimination. All my family are vaccinated. I do have one friend who is an anti-vaxxer and excluded them from our friends night out (All others agreed) and they were quite pissed. But none of us cared.

Their choice to not vax. Our choice to not invite.

It is quite remarkable to see how remarkably easy it is to make people create "others" in society. Scarily easily and it doesn't take much to channel the social animal instinct for good, or ill.

And you must not have much faith in the vaccines you're so quick to defend to this degree. If they work as well as you believe why would you be concerned about meeting someone who wasn't vaccinated? Do you worry about meeting someone with measles, or polio, or chicken pox, never mind those not vaccinated against them? I doubt it.

Oh just in case all this gets you a twitching. I'm vaccinated and had covid, so unless you had similar I'm more protected than you.

Well, the main problem with, say, inviting them around is that anti-vaxxers tend to be like vegans: They have to tell you. So it WILL come up and debate/arguments will ensue. (And I don't know if Anti-vaxxers do antigen tests or if they think that's faciscm/dictatorship also)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The vaccine doesn't stop you getting covid. It stops you getting really sick/hospitalised with it.

I'm not estranged from any family members, it's a hypothetical because all my family are rational human beings.

BTW a quick test might tell you if someone has Covid or not. However, the people who believe the conspiracies are not going to be self-administering antigen tests. The same way they don't wear masks and don't obey social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

More intelligent populations than Ireland. 🙄

• Advertisement

It is quite remarkable to see how remarkably easy it is to make people create "others" in society. Scarily easily and it doesn't take much to channel the social animal instinct for good, or ill.

People make decisions of their own free will and others will then feel certain ways about these conscious voluntary choices.

If a person decides that they choose to drink and drive then people will think about them a certain way.

If a person dedicates their life to help others and is a great and honest human being then people will think about them in a certain way.

It is a person's choice to choose whether to have the vaccine or not. Are you saying it is NOT my right to not have them around me or mine? That I should be FORCED to have them around those I wish to protect? That, by choosing to NOT have them around my family that I am wrong?

However then this card is brought out. It's prejudice. It is not. It is the consequence that someone needs to live with for making a voluntary choice. It seems that people want them to have the choice to follow their belief to not have the vaccine but not allow others to follow THEIR beliefs and avoid said people. THIS is treating people differently because of their beliefs

And I don't know if Anti-vaxxers do antigen tests or if they think that's faciscm/dictatorship also.

I only know one anti vaxxer and they have done antigen tests and one PCR on the back of a possible positive. But that's an example of just one so... I'd imagine most wouldn't alright.

Yeah, I don't know. Curious to know the answer.

And you must not have much faith in the vaccines you're so quick to defend to this degree.

I have the exact amount of faith in the vaccines that the science dictates, i.e. that they are very effective but not 100% and as such, caution is still required.

Conversely, science dictates that the chances of me getting measles or polio at a social gathering is zero so no, I would not be remotely concerned about that.

As for creating "others", well, that wouldn't be my choice. If someone chooses to endanger other people by not getting a vaccine but still wants to be part of social occasions, then they have made a conscious decision to become the "other".

However then this card is brought out. It's prejudice. It is not.

I'd agree. I wouldn't call it prejudice either. I'd see it more as how easily "rational human beings"(a contradiction in terms for the most part) can be swayed to taking hard positions of any sort with the minimum of pressure involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you realise that there are quite a few unvaccinated people who are in general pro-vax, but hesitant about this one? In general, they won't be telling you their private medical details.

If you're worried about safety in your house, then compulsory antigen testing at the doorstep would be more effective at catching people who are ill at that moment, no matter what their vax-status is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How to talk to "that" family member?

'I'm protecting me and mine, please don't come, thanks'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah relax, getting covid might just be a bit of craic, you ll be well looked after in icu, if it comes to it, and if you re lucky to get a bed!

Yeah. But that's the card that's always pulled. And it does polarize people. Which is unfortunate. But for me, I choose to believe the general scientific consensus. There are many who think me an idiot/sheep/whatever for doing so. But I choose to believe the general scientific consensus as is my right. And avoid those who choose differently. Who I believe would potentially endanger my family. As is my right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

My family have much more creative things to fight about at Christmas. Money, sport, grudges relating to stuff that happened *years* ago

Vaccines, or lack of, is unlikely to even get a mention in the maelstrom of chaos that is our Christmas dinner

Not to mention "Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?" and "Who ate the last "fancy" biscuit"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

As my wife and I have elderly parents who we want to spend time with this Chriatmas no one who is not vaccinated is welcome in our house this Christmas. That includes one old college friend of my wife who normally would call over the Christmas holidays. But in recent months she has retweeted some absolutely vile anti-vax cult like material. My wife told her not to come this year because we are concerned about our parents. She said she disagreed but understood. Deep down the decent sensible person is still there. Hopefully when all this is over she can be rescued from this quasi cult she has fallen into.

Hopefully when all this is over she can be rescued from this quasi cult she has fallen into.

The irony of such a statement deserves its own thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Oh you do NOT want to go there, that is a serious red line for some people!!

We're one of the dumbest in Europe unfortunately.

Our national IQ is below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Of course it is… It's not Christmas until you see Hans Gruber fall from Nakatomi Plaza.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

The problem is the panic about this pox, far outweighs the actual hard facts risks. If vaccines never came along and you and your family are under 50, even under 60, with no underlying serious health issues and aren't American fat, then the danger to you and yours is actually and scientifically and factually feckin' tiny. Even if you do have underlying conditions the risks of serious illness and death are still very very small. Put it another way; going by the Irish stats of confirmed infections and deaths, if you got ten thousand under 55's infected, do you know how many would die? Four. With the vaccines that you've all had that risk goes down to beyond feck all. Even if I brought in a rabid covid sufferer on a leash and got him to lick ye. Now there's an image. 😁

But we still have this kinda image too:

That panic was warranted in the early days of this pox and yes tragedies will continue to occur on the personal level and that's bad, but we have kinda lost the run of ourselves in panic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im not so sure about that, some hospitals are currently actually out of icu beds, and are starting to treat people on the normal wards, who in fact require icu, this aint over yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ive had the vaccine and the booster, but there is definitely something different aboput this one. I get the flu vaccine every year and have no effects at all. Aprt from a sore arm from the needle i wouldnt even know i had a flu vaccine. The covid vaccine is different. I definitely know ive had it for a couple of days after each shot.

Also at this point they are giving vaccines in case they work. Instead of because they work. So im not surprised some people are skeptical at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've got both vaccines and my local medical center is having a walking in vaccine clinic tomorrow for all patients and I'll probably get it.

Anti vaxxers are an absolute pain but equally are those obsessed with masks, vaccines, distances, etc.

Actually that's statistical bollocks of the highest order. If you note on the breakdowns of "European IQ's" the IQ magically goes up the second it crosses the border in the North. Never mind that ascribing IQ to populations is pretty daft anyway and it seems to magically shift over time and by whoever is totting up the numbers. The more northerly European nations often consider themselves above the southern in intelligence, yet a couple of thousand years ago Greeks were inventing the modern world while Germanics were picking fleas off each other. Now the Greeks are the poor man of Europe. Italy isn't much better and again in history they created Europe as an idea and backed it up with a culture that informs a shedload lot of who we are and how we act today. The very letters we're typing now? A bunch of greaseballs came up with that. And the spaces between the letters? A bunch of paddies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement