Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Does anyone have any personal experience based advice on how to cope mentally. It’s been nearly 2 years. Should we just accept that the life we knew in 2019 is gone & find a way to make piece with it. I’m well over Zoom calls, banana bread, walking. Covid has caused huge rows in my family & all I want for Christmas is a chance to go to bed & cry without my toddler needing a PCR test. I’m sick of WFH I’m really lonely, my kids are climbing the walls & my family are hard work.

I do realise those are 1st world problems. I’m just wrecked as are we all but it seems to me that a lot of people cope better than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

What is it that you are missing about 2019? Contact with colleagues?

Exactly. Team meeting. Water cooler conversations. The feeling of motivation from being around others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

"Omicron will have a high rate of hypochondriacs too."

They would still be hypochondriacs with or without covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Trust me, everyone is the same. There are days where i think 2019 seems like a million years ago. But you have to remember it wont always be like this, the virus will lessen and will become like a flu or cold. We havent seen a pandemic like this in 100 years but they got over it back in 1920 and we will do the same in 2022. It'll be a case of "Oh i have the flu, i have a cold, i have COVID".

I feel you with the kids, my two are the exact same. But this will end eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Those aren't first world problems at all. This is a miserable half lived life for so many. Every tiny piece of joy has been sucked out of life. You can make no plans, have nothing to look forward to because the ground is so shaky. As a parent you can never forget all the normal experiences your kids are being denied.

And that's before you get into the rows rife in every family over whether anyone's fear of covid is higher or lower than anyone else's . Families not speaking because one person thinks everyone should be as afraid or not as they are.

This is truly awful, and it's worse in Ireland because the media and government seem intent on using only sticks and threats whilst simultaneously gaslighting us that "we are all in this together".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Try to bring the kids out of the house .Playgrounds are open , the library is open and some fantastic books for kids to be got , if they are old enough they could borrow books on crafts etc .Winter is a tough one but Spring is coming ( it always comes ) and things will be easier then for us all

I've no real proper advice, I'm essentially back to normal, meeting friends, family, going out etc. but I realize it is different circumstances for everyone

In my opinion this whole thing is nearly over, hang in there.

One thing I can definitely recommend is turn off the TV and radio and avoid the constant Covid discussion, including boards and the rest of the internet.

If you want to watch TV, watch some films not Claire Byrne, the Late Late or Pat Kenny.

Most other countries didnt endure the lockdowns imposed on us and they know if they have to lockdown again restrictions will be eased as soon as the risk passes.

The problem here is the brutal health service, as always.

So we are stuck and if lockdown happens before New Years Eve then thats it till the end of April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I honestly couldn't say with definite it will end. Too many people like to be wrapped in cotton wool so I can see the reaction to this being done for lots of stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah I think we have to get on with things as best we can. I have family trip away booked in January and fully intend going.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Also, I go back through photos on my phone to remind myself of fun times my kids have had.

When "big things" like holidays in sunny climates, birthday parties with friends, teens getting a bit of freedom/going clubbing - when all those are gone it's easy to forget the "little things" like nice days out, jokes at home etc.

When I get overwhelmed with negativity pictures of my kids/teens being happy are my go to.

Also, when things are open go to everything - cinema, theatre, hotel trips, holidays abroad, do it all. Only in Ireland the message is "yes stuff is open but don't go or we will close it"

They waste no ytime taking our freedom away so I enjoy every last drop of freedom while I can.

Thanks so much to all of you who took the time to reply.

Its the family row over Covid which is the straw that broke me. Now Christmas is a few days away & I just want to bawl. My husband’s family have handled Covid in an agree to disagree & woke around it type way where they have disagreed which isn’t often. My family have fallen apart. I’ll spare you the full details but in short I have to spend Christmas with a parent who has no one else when I really resent how they have treated me & made me feel taken for granted.

My colleagues are always taking about how Covid has given them family time back. I’ve almost never heard any of them say anything negative & I work on a big team. I feel like a saddo who needs my colleagues!

I was better at taking the kids outside now I feel overwhelmed & under motivated & end up snapping at my toddler who obviously reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

We went to Portugal in August and it felt just like it did all the other times we've been away. My parents who would be quite nervous of covid came with us and had a lovely time. We have a trip planned to go to Spain now at Easter and hopefully we will be able to go.

Like others I'd advise turning off RTE and just going about your life as normal. Life is short. We had a tragedy in our family this year and it definitely made me realise there's so much to be thankful for. If you limit exposure to the media things can continue almost like normal! I hope you have a lovely Christmas Elle2008! Longer evenings are coming soon and hopefully next summer will be better...

Yes, I do too and we have to be careful the HSE dont use lockdowns as an excuse going forward to “protect beds”

we need proper independent scrutiny of the HSE, how much are we spending in comparison to other OECD countries and where is the money going.

We just cannot continue with the status quo, vaccines arent the answer, they never were and we were led to place too much trust in them.

Nothing will change unless the entire country organise themselves and protest through emails and marches and those with private health insurance need to make noise too.

The senior civil servants who have presided over years of our pathetic hospital system all have private insurance, lets the plebs make do with lengthy waiting lists, its off to the Beacon with the elite so nothing will change.

A South African doctor on radio 1 now saying it’s a mild thing at the minute but dobbo is having none of it.taken aback when she says it will be the same all over the world but again dobbo doesn’t want to know.shameful stuff from our so called media

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think this whole thing has really taught us where our limits are and how negatively some people react to having those limits tested. It is horribly stressful and very frustrating for sure at times. In normal times we could have got to 90 without ever learning where such limits are. 

I really don't think you can do anything about family, they're dealing with this like you even if some more unpleasant elements of their personality have emerged in it. All you can do is just work out what your attitude to all of this is and leave them to it. TBH I’d just ban any COVID conversations and be very firm in stating you have no interest in being involved in one.

Christmas can be tough for people anyway so it is a matter of just getting through those days. I'd echo the suggestion from others, to get away if you can, as soon as you can. Soon enough you'll be able to enjoy Christmas through the eyes of your toddler. Be safe and kind to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jams100

Definitely not alone anyway, that's the first thing.

I'm surprised we're still locking down so hard despite the evidence that vaccines are largely holding up in terms of hospitalizations.

Interms of how to cope mentally, different for every person, maybe try talk with friends? As alot of people are finding this hard, yes, some harder than others.

Try think positively too, like the days will be getting longer, more treatments are available (covid pill, gsk's antibody treatment, vaccines etc.).

Ultimately, I think there's going to be a tsunami of mental health issues after this so maybe its a case of you need to talk to a councillor or a gp. Either way, there are alot of people struggling and don't dismiss your problems as being "just first world problems"

And as other posters have said turn off the news etc. There's nothing positive they have to say (Something I look at too much 🤦‍♂️)

I have no doubt that we'll see lockdowns or restrictions in the future. Probably everytime there is a new variant we'll implement them. Possibly in winter when hospitals are busy.

Sure we even close schools now when we have amber weather warnings as there could be a small chance that it might turn red.

I reckon we'll need a big economic crash to come back to normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Just listening to that aswell that Dr didn’t get the memo 😂😂😂 all joking aside seemed to really be playing it down no extra restrictions, peak over, no mad hospital increases all very positive

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

I heard that too. It was hilarious! No matter how hard Dobbo tried to get the answers he wanted (i.e. that Omicron is a serious threat), she wasn't playing ball with him. In fact you could hear how impatient she got with him towards the end when he started to ask her the same questions again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Yeah . The data is there from SA . It's hard to know what's going on .

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Again as said above Bryan Dobson having none of what the South African doctor was saying how mild this is.

Covid advertising pays these guys wages they want it to continue

If it does turn out or be milder that’s a good thing won’t help us to lift restrictions before end Feb as i still believe the main reason is to cover the HSE inadequate qualities regardless of data. It will take that lent of time to “read and examine the data”. But I’d be confident we will have a better summer this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

One would like to think if this is the case then all restrictions will be lifted indefinitely asap. Including mask wearing and the need to produce your papers for having a pint etc. I don't think that will happen though. I think we will be facing in to the next 3-4 months of snake oils makey uppy models.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Caitriona Perry did the same thing on the news last week . Pushing and pushing MM to close schools . He was having none of her either

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Whats that could to do with the point abt the variant being milder and Dobson ?

I think it’s becoming clear that some countries are using their restrictions as a last resort. It will be interesting to see how quickly the Uk go back to full open and lift restrictions. I think we will have much less restrictions after paddy’s day this year. And hopefully less doom and gloom for the summer and get rid of daily update and numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Yep.. she framed the question as: 'so why won't you close the schools?' instead of 'what's your reasoning for keeping the schools open?' People underestimate how powerful the national media including RTE are in forming attitudes and opinions in the general public.

Advertisement