Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

We are years away from this ending. People need to harden up and realise this is the new normal for the next while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - some posts can get pretty close to the 'No medical advice' line and one (now deleted) has just crossed it, resulting in the poster being on a short time out from the forum.

A reminder of the site wide rule, no medical advice

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

The schools are been kept open for one reason and one reason only if they close then a lot of essential services will have problems with child care. If the kids are all at home the most two income family’s have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For a short period we will probably find that the “huge” case number will rule once again, just until we can see whether they do actually turn into hospitalizations in big numbers. From our perspective it's hard to see when what would happen. Even if we had new case records next week and it fell just as fast, the end of January is the earliest we're going to see anybody looking at changing restrictions. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats the problem. "Eventually".

COVID has probably removed my ability to ever have a family. I moved home-home, in with the parents on a temporary basis in late 2019. Then Covid happened and I couldn't leave them then to move in with a (now) ex. I knew I would not be able to see them. That relationship ended for other reasons anyway. Now one parent is quite ill and the other is deteriorating.

I am 38, pushing 39. I can't leave the parents, they need care and I have no brothers/sisters/relatives. None of my grandparents ever went into a nursing home, so my parents assume I'll look after them. There is already a huge creep in the amount of work I need to do to keep things going.

COVID means I can't date without risking bringing it home to them. They are massively paranoid about it. There is little to no dating going on in my age group. Even a gig I wanted to go to in London after Christmas - gone due to Omicron and the hysteria around it.

Had I been living with someone before all this started I'd likely have a family now.. I'm going to be too old by the time it ends, and more importantly by the time NPHET and the Irish Government back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

So there was a backlog Saturday even though Fergal Bowers got confirmation there wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That's what we were saying this time last year. Ego comes into on our side though. I get the impression Tony doesn't like being over ruled or doesn't like his instructions not being followed. Omicron and Covid shouldn't be leading to these types of restrictions and impending lockdowns anymore based on what we know and the data we have available from the last 20 months. Yet here we are. Another over reaction.

Yep I think it will roll on to the end of Feb maybe if we lockdown next week or so we will roll back to we’re we are now for End of feb/ march and then possibly another cancelled paddy’s day. But April onwards will be much more open.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Eh the point is that journalists on Rte are pushing people to say what they want to hear .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Whats funny is Scare Byrne was doing the same with hospitality for a few weeks now. The minute it is locked down she is all concerned about the workers. Parasites the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I rang the HSE helpline this morning with a complicated query . Credit where its due the man couldn’t have been more helpful and got it sorted .

Sometimes we get lucky !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The schools will be closed in January and this will be used as a push to vaccinate the 5yr to 11yr cohort. Watch how this gets framed over the next fortnight. MM will be on the podium again come December 30th to announce school closures.

I don’t think it’s anything more sinister then we don’t have a fit for purpose health service along with a highly transmissible virus. We pinned our hopes to vaccines which although work haven’t worked in the way they thought and this is dragging into a year 3. Leo said himself he thought 2yrs would be it. So when your only other weapon is lockdown your kind of fecked. So they have so do this were as the UK and other countries health services are able to deal with higher hospital numbers and can stay open longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The EMA have approved the Novavax vaccine for use.

You could be right they will push hard for the kids to be vaccinated before the summer when cases will start to drop with the warmer weather. Parents won’t be as quick to get them vaccinated unless they want to go on holidays and it’s required.

But I still think they don’t want to close the schools because of the knock on effect of child minding for the essential services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yes, it was actually starting to get a bit embarrassing by the end. She was starting to lose her patience with his line of biased questioning by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Do you think the government have some sinister ulterior motive for wanting to vaccinate? I'm genuinely curious about this as it comes up an awful lot around here. I know that a lot of people here seem to feel that the government are trying to control us - but why? A lot of posters here very good at telling the rest of us what we think and why, so can anyone tell me what they think the government is up to trying to "push to vaccinate the 5yr to 11yr cohort", other than keep transmission lower?

It has already been pointed out a couple of times here that transmission is higher in primary schools than anywhere else. People were denying there was any Covid at all in schools when there was talk of them not opening. Now that the bars are being closed, there was one poster on here complaining that sure "it's not even in the pubs, it's the schools it's in" So like ...... what do some of ye want? High case numbers are a problem for the hospitals. So, if they don't close primary schools and they leave hospitality alone and the 5-11s aren't vaccinated, then what do ye want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Same with Ciara Kelly on her crusade for predicted grades the year her daughter was doing the Leaving Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

We are a similar age. I’ve often thought of people like you, and how for some people two years is more significant than for others.

That is a really really hard situation to be in. I’m so sorry to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Oh i don’t know. I’m lucky enough to be getting on with it. I was in the States a few weeks back. I went over to Wales just this weekend, beautiful drive through the mountains. Oh I recommend visiting the beach in Porthmadog. What a stunning place, especially with the high pressure over us we had over the weekend. It was like a spring day. Oh of course I followed all the health guidelines, all boostered up too. If you think outside the box, you can make the best of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,474 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think you need to go talk to your gp about this stuff and tell him/her everything you are feeling.

Sounds to me like this whole thing has hit you very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

People need to just accept we are still in it and act accordingly until it is truly over.

Whether that's months or years, who knows?

The problem, and one of the reasons the pandemic has been prolonged, is fools declaring it over when we are still right in the middle of it.

If we could just accept we are living in a pandemic era and incorporate proper mitigation measures. Strict ffp2 masks, legislated ventilation, proper genome contract tracing etc, and then just get on with it, life would be a lot more livable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It will end. 2019 isn't coming back. The world has changed. But that doesn't mean we're going to spend the next five decades alternating between closing and opening society based on the prevailing health situation.

There may be some people who enjoy being wrapped up in cotton wool, but it's a negligible minority. Nobody is enjoying this. The politicians, the civil servants, the CMO, the health staff, nobody. Everyone wants to be able to book a table at a restaurant, sit there for as long as they want, go back to a pub for a couple of pints and then hug eachother and go home without ever having to think about testing and close contacts and covid certs.

Don't confuse, "I accept things need to be done to protect society", with, "I like this". Nobody likes this. It is merely being tolerated as the lesser evil. For now.

Public tolerance is wearing very, very thin. Assuming Omicron is as infectious as we fear, I can see us coming through the other side and as a society just deciding that we're done.

I see it every day now. More and more people who would have been very nervous, very conformist at the start, beginning to decide that after Omicron, we need to just move on. Realising that we can't wallow in this indefinitely like a widow grieving.

well said seems to be the thinking of a lot of people I know. It’s not the first pandemic and won’t be the last just learn the lessons of what worked and what didn’t and move on.

We will eventually return to 2019 levels of normality when the magic money tree collapses. The only exceptions might be more working from home and some people choosing to wear masks.

The word inflation will eventually become more common than Covid and it will likely pose greater issues for us all as well.

We can't just keeping borrowing and borrowing and borrowing. Unfortunately, we really need everybody to feel the financial burden for sense to prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO the government should have been financing PUP and business supports through additional income levies from the beginning.

I would have been quite happy to pay these until the initial vaccination programme completed.

As it is many people who worked throughout have accumulated chunky savings which are now feeding into domestic inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

wow, this mindset is still around.......wow wow wow

Get busy living or get busy dying, I know which one you'd pick

No announcement expected today, but UK press (Times, Guardian and Sun all reporting the same) being briefed that the likely scenario is a 2 week 'circuit breaker' starting on the 28th. No indoor mixing, back to the 'group of 6' meeting outside only, and closure of all indoor hospitality.

That'll be the end of Boris' prime ministership

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭rob316

im glad there is no talk of retail closing, its been proven to be absolutely pointless and little effect to the R number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I can't see it changing really. I've zero hope anyway. We'll all die under restrictions here the way it's gone.

Advertisement