Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,469 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ya, I've seen him on TV some afternoons on the Today show a very boring and dull guy on all topics with no real opinion of his own.

I guess those who value fundamental rights and liberty can email their local TD's.

I've been doing so since Jan 2021 and have been ignored, naturally.

However, it's easy to ignore one disgruntled citizen but they can't ignore many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Has anybody's broadband and phone coverage here got way better since they got the booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In fairness Kieran Cuddihy on newstalk in the evening has been pretty good, a bit of a balance anyway from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Nobody appears to know a thing about what might happen next week. Or so they want us believe. But Leo already knows we will have an emergency for years to come? Well thats going to help with the conspiracy theories anyway.

Like the ones that say whether it was planned or stumbled into ... the opportunity will be seized.

I dont know what to say to this anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I suppose the idea was if everybody breaks the law they can't all get into trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Im probably not going to be thanked for saying hes probably right.

Until COVID is gone we are going to have to live with it. The problem is in this country we forget about the second part, the actual living with it.

Every other country in europe opened up during the summer when they had the chance, festivals, nightclubs, pubs, indoor dining, full stadiums all through the summer, its called living.

Here though we dont and didnt, we didnt open up, whilts the rest of Europe enjoyed freedom we were told in June of "the greatest hurricane this country has ever seen" coming in terms of COVID and like complete lemmings followed this advice whilst the entire bloody continent got on with living.

Its fairly fuckin ironic seeing Leo come out with this after 2 years when on every given opportunity to have periods of freedoms they folded like wet cardboard to a forever concerned CMO and his cohorts.

Yes, not the vaccine booster but the signal booster we have plugged into the wall socket helped matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

And that #2 is a year away from being #1 again. Dark times are certainly on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You do wonder if government has put any sort of informal long term plan thought together.

Varadkar said the Covid passes would be for a few weeks. Now we are looking at years of Covid variants and years of covid passes. Obviously the vaccines didn't work to their satisfaction, and it's starting to look the same with the boosters. Where every variant is one notch ahead of the last booster.

They got something like 94% vaccinated originally. They won't get 94% on Booster 1. For every booster the take up rate will be lower.

Pubs/Restaurants/Hotels can suck up 6% without passes. I get the feeling that a lot of those 6% are not the types to go to pubs. But what about when it becomes 10%, 20%, 30%. Pubs and Restaurants won't be able to suck up 20-30% of the adult population not being able to avail of their facilities. What will they be doing in 2-3 winters time when 30% of the population at ineligible to go to a pub/restaurant.

And it's not just the 30%, it's the friendship groups, families that come with it. Groups become split, it's harder to get a group to go to a pub for a few drinks. A group of 5 friends. 2 are ineligible. Will the 3 bother going? They might but it wont be as regular.

How long can they keep rolling on restrictions for non-vaccinated/boostered without it having a massive economic consequence?

• Advertisement

In fairness, we're boosting our population while the developing world still doesn't have 2 doses available per person. This pandemic won't be over until we fix this inequality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Well the genie is out of the bottle now I would expect us to be locking down forever more in the winter. Politicians can't be having the numbers on trolleys in the 100's like they were pre-covid. I'd say if they thought they would have got away with locking down pre-covid they would have done it in a heart beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Farcical, The Government are so ‘gravely concerned’ about this omricon thing they are going on the holliers tomorrow and won’t be back until January 19th! 🎉🍾

we really are living in worrying times. 🙄

I'd question the 94% vaccination rate, the county with the lowest rate is Roscommon where a lot of people got vaccinated over the border... I recon our actual vaccination rate could be closer to 96%-97% considering this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its more than ironic. For 2 years people have been saying that we need to learn to live with covid. Then after 2 years of frankly retarded government policies Leo comes out to gormlessly tell us all that we need to live with covid.

Like, no **** sherlock, glad you finally decided to catch up.

They will lock us down for another 3 months then come the summer will proudly announce that we should make use of the time when the cases are low, as if we weren't shouting that for the last 2 summers when they kept their **** boots on our necks.

These people are in charge. It would be much easier to put the head down and suffer through this if we didn't have so much evidence that the people in charge were incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

McKenna is an absolute fuckin idiot regardless of what topic he has a hot take on, a moron.

Don't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist over what Varadkar said though, it's just realism. Take a look at what's happening in the rest of the world for comparison. The UK is bringing in a 2 week circuit breaker after Christmas, which is absolutely ridiculous timing given what will happen between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Id imagine people are "getting their knickers in a twist" because we've been told for quite some time that vaccines were our way out of this. Leo is basically admitting that no matter how much drugs I get pumped into me, my freedoms aren't coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

Pfizer could fix that problem immediately if they wanted. They should be encouraged to make a massive charitable donation of their product for the good of us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 onefish

Where did you hear about the circuit breaker in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Even if 100% of the world, including infants and immuno-compromised were triple jabbed, it would not put an end to this pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

Right now I am feeling like I am going to get to December 2022 having had 2 or 3 boosters just to keep my job and access to non-essential venues and services and they are still going to be saying "sorry, we have to close the gyms and pubs and cinemas and please don't have too many people at your house over Christmas oh and retail will be closing in January".

Will we have increased the capacity of our health services by December 2022? I doubt it.

Maybe we would offer people with no employment just now the opportunity to get training and get a job in healthcare? Doubt it.

Some good messaging on diet and exercise and how to maintain a good immune system so that when December 2022 rolls around we will be prepared to at least minimize the impact of whatever new variant awaits us? Haha. Not a chance.

Let's be honest here. There is no plan to get out of this.

Imagine sitting here right now with two doses and a booster (haven't had a booster myself) preparing to have everything shut down around you anyway. What was the point?

"OK just get vaccinated. They totally work! You might be skeptical and worried but trust us. It's our way out of this!"

Perfect so I've had my two doses and my booster can't wait to have a few nights out over xmas eating, drinking, taxi home at 5am and then have a great day with all the family before hitting the shops for the sales in January. So glad I got vaccinated and got my booster too.

"Ah, well, actually. About that. We're going to do a lockdown anyway. LOL. Sorry! Stay at home! Maybe next year!"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Has anyone come up with a more original joke yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I like the way when the UK announce they might introduce restrictions it's "look at them what they're doing" but when it's opening up it's "we don't want to be like the UK here"

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Get my booster in the morning... quite simply to stop getting really sick.

Seems the one and only reason for getting these vacces and boosters was for people to protect themselves.

Lockdowns and closures and all the other bullshit restrictions come in anyway.

Unfortunately crystal balls the world over weren't working and failed to tell us about the variants and exactly how they may mutate with their corresponding behaviours.

Despite you liking it, the amusing thing is is that people are blaming everything on an individual in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Questions about our governments intentions/motivation need to be asked at this point. Despite massive disappointments and frustrations over the handling of the pandemic up to now I still believed when its all said and done they want to get us out of this.

I'm no longer certain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Am I being over pessimistic but what are the chances they lock down on st Stephen’s day like last year if the numbers get higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Not sure if this has already been posted but this is a very interesting discussion involving Graham Medley the chair of the Sage modelling committee.

In it Medley admits that their models are basically just made up worst case scenarios and little to no science is used and they arent accurate predictions.

Medley is asked

This sort of stuff is data science 101 though. That’s my biggest issue with the modelling, if you presented this stuff in industry without this sort of validation of past results, you’d be laughed out of town. Modelling seems very far beyond state of art data science.

He replies

The point being missed is these scenarios are not predictions. We can’t predict what people are going to do over Christmas (many people themselves are “undecided”). They are made to support a decision to illustrate the possibilities and uncertainty

He then adds

Deepest respect Doug, but we are not predicting. It might be a philosophical stance, but we don’t have the data to make the kind of predictive models that you are thinking of

So the models being produced are not predictions, they are scenarios and they only model scenarios that they are told to model by the Government.

They are modelling worse case scenario but with no probability on it and no best case scenario being produced either.

The Sage and Nphet models have been consistently incorrect over the last 21 months, mostly by huge margins.

The models Sage and Nphet are creating are supposed to be based on probability and likelihood.

Anyone with a scientific, mathematical or analytical qualification can see that the modelling being used is deeply flawed and nonsensical.

Advertisement