Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was reading a columnist in the paper yesterday that likened our financial reliance on MNCs to the reliance on the potato in the 1850s! He didn't say there was blight on the way but we have zero plan b if there is.

House prices have bounced back since the crash solely because of the MNCs wages and taxes imo. Will we be as attractive as before the new tax agreement? I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

It says the cost differential is between 2 and 15% with the average being 8 and from what I can gather is an all size house survey. My theory would be that, what is being built ie 1, 2 and to lesser extent 3 bed units all smaller sized homes. The cost differential would be between the 2 and 8% with scope to reduce that through higher take up of the technology and less labour intensive home building practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

who knows, chinese companies are in a lot of trouble. evergrandes collapse has been coming since the middle of the year, what happens to the others in RE will be the thing to keep an eye on. What exposure do their investors have to EU/Irish market? Will we see US investors pull back here if the better chinese companies cant pay back their debts? Im sure there will be posters in here with a better knowledge than me on what could happen and how it could possibly effect us here

With regard to taxing land, its difficult to tax land when the owners of same are advising and lobbying government on how to "solve" the housing crisis. So the measures introduced are continuously suspended or unworkable.

Coincidence?

With regard to land sold no better source than the horse's mouth

The head of the National Asset Management Agency has criticised the practise of landowners hoarding sites which should be used for housing. 

Brendan McDonagh was speaking at the launch of NAMA's annual report for last year.

While there is an massive shortfall of new housing, some land that can be used for building is still lying idle. 

NAMA said it has sold land which could be used to build 50,000 homes, but only 3,000 units are being built on the sites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Those numbers are just good for populist talks, same as hundred of thousands of vacant homes, same as about thousands of REIT's purposely hoarding properties. They quick to build propaganda from some exceptions, and to apply this across the market.

Government is not capable to tax hoarded land due to lobbyist. But you expect Government to be good in building homes.

• Advertisement

I think your just trolling now. The numbers are specific

Land sold to develop 50,000 homes.

Only 3,000 under construction

The figures are from the head of the agency that sold the land. What's your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Good, now if they would just rackoff out of the Australian and NZ markets as well, I'd be so ecstatic you'd have to admit me to hospital.

It may have sold the land with potential of 50,000 homes to be build. But it doesn't mean that builders are hoarding it. It may happen, but possibly only small part of it. If they are close to Cities, with good infrastructure, and council does not object it, most of that land will see properties popping up. There could be many reasons why they don't build homes on those lands, other than purposely hording it. Builder are busy, running on full or close to full capacity, constructions are ramping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Lets say there are 1000 ads. BTR listing for 1 complex only show 3 ads which is 0.03% of the total but they have 100 apartments for rent. which represents 10% of the total. If you account for all BTRs that trend could be rocket.

You need to find out the total number of BTR apartments to account for trend direction. Not all ads have equal weights in trend.

Are they verified by 3rd party, who not paid by said investor? Knowing how investor hedge funds work those stats are worthless.

• Advertisement

There would be very few fully completed complex with 100 available apartments for rent at a time, probably you would be able to count on one hand. The individual listed properties has higher share of rentals, thus it can tell the trends by itself. Any fully completed complex with 100 apartment for rent would most likely be discussed here on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

what is your point ? These companies have financial statements which are audited. Does the company pay for the audit….yes like every other company in every industry.

It would seem odd that the head of NAMA would say land hoarding is occurring without significant evidence given his position.

1. And I agree myself that some hoarding happens, which I point before that it should be taxed. But it doesn't mean that for majority of land that gets sold to private sector are for the purpose of hoarding it.
    2. He just expresses his opinion, it's not a research or report. How do you know that NAMA/Council is any better and do not hoard land?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

It was discussed here over the summer but I've heard of a couple more MNCs like Oracle introducing a wfh policy which will enable workers to request to move to another European country where they have an office if they want. Housing crisis will scare a lot of people off and for companies they could save money by not hiring people in Ireland. Especially when a lot of these employees service their home European country.

I think the big companies have essentially already slowed further growth in Ireland and "delaying" the return to the office is essentially what they are saying while they formalise how the post-covid workforce will look but it looks like the pandemic, housing and general costs are all feeding into the equation. In Ireland it feels like we have just treated the last two years as a pause on the economy rather and have found ourselves looking for a return to pre pandemic economic activity rather than trying to work on diversifying and growing our economy other than with MNCs and their taxes (corporate and employee).

1 The system we have and it's subsequent inflation at levels multiples of general inflation in housing incentivises hoarding.

No measure to prevent it.

2. It is the opinion of the head of an agency tasked with the unwinding of the largest land and property portfolio ever assembled in the world.

Its also from an Oireachtas hearing on the matter so a little bit more than an "opinion piece"

So why the same land in NAMA hands is not hoarding, and in private hands it's hoarding?

You didn't understand. I was merely giving an example of how hidden variable can skew your trend in opposite direction.

My point is, how can I trust the integrity of occupancy rate provide by BTR on their website?

I just had a look at KW annual report for 2020. they only give aggregates. Nothing localized.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭wassie

Lengthy article by Colm Keena in the Irish Times today (sorry if its paywalled) purporting how Govt Policy has been effectively reducing the number of available rentals since 2016 by pushing out small Landlords. Nothing in it that hasnt been discussed here before, but good that the conversation is being had.

Research, McCormick says, shows that one tenancy is coming onto the market for every two that leave.

• Advertisement

Because that was the specific function of Nama. Bundle distressed assets and slowly release to the market.

We end up being in a constant state of paralysis with property. An oversupply threatening the economy to an undersupply doing the same.

Is it really that difficult to put policies in place that achieve a balance that work for citizens, business and the construction sector.

It's incredible that in an environment of 0% finance, oversupply of land, and a dereliction problem plus burgeoning tax revenues that we can't deliver affordable housing

It's either a complete systems failure or the system was set up for the benefit of the few at great cost to the many.

And you trying sometimes to make sense from Sinn Fein. If I got it right, he is the main SF housing spokesperson, and goes against "evidence".

Ó Broin: ‘Its [Nama’s] hoarding of the land makes clear that they have contributed to inflated land costs, pushing up development costs and ultimately the price of buying or renting a home. State-backed Nama controls enough land to build at least 20,000 homes on but most of it remains undeveloped, according to new figures released by the Department of Finance."

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/nama-controls-enough-land-for-20-000-new-homes-1.4747306?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Fnama-controls-enough-land-for-20-000-new-homes-1.4747306

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

NAMA's role was to take the bad loans off the banks balance sheet to recapitalisation the banks (to some degree).

Its role was then to get as much back for the assets secured against the bad loans.

We may be in an environment of 0% interest (and even negative interest rates). Banks will not loan to developers because of the risk associated. Unlike house build apartment build costs are all upfront whereas house costs can be spread over different phases and part repayment of loans to banks by developers can happen.

Ye miss the point, situation of oversupply to undersuppy in a matter of 8 years.

In that time of low interest rates state owned banks were charging up to 14% for resedintial investment loans

I recall posting last year of a housing financier charging 7% for resedintial loans that had the guarantee of government long term leases. Absolute madness in a time the state was getting finance at 0%.

The highest return on housing going to a profession that adds no value

What was the point in dumping the debts of the banks on our children and theirs if this is the carry on. Why not let them burn

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

The banks are still commercial entities. Do you expect them to loose more money just because the shareholding of the state.

You could not let the banks fail. Every economy needs a banking system to process direct debits, credit card trans and all the other everyday transactions that every person and business transact every day that involves a bank.

Simply ingredients saying burn the bondholders takes no consideration of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭jo187

I get what your saying. But the banks didn't suffer it was the average worker who carried the cost of the bail out. Stuff like the anglo tapes where there laughing at how much money to get off the government, still makes me and many others blood boil

A loan to a housing development that has secured long term leasing from the state would carry less risk than a loan to a couple on average wages with 10% deposit.

The process of negotiating, securing the lease plus the 7% interest plus change are all unnecessary costs added to the price and still not a brick laid

What was the point in saving all of them. If we had just saved bank of Ireland and not propped up the others, would ulster bank and kbc have remained.

Revolut have abandoned plans to base in Dublin because of frustration with cb over the granting of a licence. You don't hear that on newstalk when they are spouting about an anti business culture. Our failure to deal with bad loans in a mature and rational manner has blocked others from basing in Ireland

All anti business,

I am not defending what the banks did and I like millions of others are paying for it through higher taxes, mortgage rates, bank charges etc.

• Advertisement

Maybe a loan for building properties for a property on long term leasing to the State would attract a lower interest charge the if so why are developers not doing so after all that's,what they do, they develop.

The reason the banks were saved was competition and also the sheer number of customers impacted had they of let fail would have caused chaos.

I fully agree with you regarding dealing with bad loans but this is Ireland we don't have the culture to deal with it. How many mortgages are behind where people are still in the property, how many tenants both social and private are behind in their rent and still in the properties.

Advertisement